Forum Settings
Forums

If a popular anime reviewer says that something is crap will you take his word for it?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 30, 2019 10:01 AM

Aug 2018
Depends, reviews with actual fact exist so if those facts are not good for me then of course I would skip it or giving the show a really low priority. Not all the reviews are about I like this or I hate that.
Jan 30, 2019 10:39 AM
Aug 2016
If I were a brainless troglodyte, then yeah, I would probably do that.

It ain't the case tho yikes
Jan 30, 2019 10:44 AM

May 2016
I like watching some reviewers, but mainly I watch stuff that doesn't analyze a particular show but rather trends in anime.

reviewers are great when they validate my opinion though lol

Jan 30, 2019 11:04 AM

Apr 2016
A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.

Also popular opinions =/= good opinions, at least in most cases. You will have to make your own opinion about things rather than blindly relying on other people's opinions.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 30, 2019 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
Cabron said:
No because they don't know what they're talking about.

This, think for yourselves folks.

Not gonna lie though... score can be useful for me

If theres hot girls on the cover and its rated 5-7 I'm probably gonna love it lmao

Also as someone who favorites anime reviewers are going to call trash, I guess if I didnt just need the cover art and pv a negative review could in theory help me xD
In that sense agreed heh, I usually find the ones with low scores enjoyable.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 30, 2019 12:51 PM
Dec 2018
Similar with any medium, if a reviewer is popular, then at least SOME of his/her ideas provide insights, otherwise he/she wouldn't be popular on the first place (In most cases, there are exceptions tho, But the probability of some shit being popular is quite low.) Given that, anyone saying you should totally disregard their opinions is incorrect. I would say based on your own experience more, but take the reviewer's word for a better understanding.
A little bit of precision for a large amount of clarity
Jan 30, 2019 12:52 PM
Aug 2017
no shot that guys is probably just some fufu boy. i write my own reviews yurd on jah
die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain
Jan 30, 2019 1:09 PM

Apr 2015
Never.
Absolutely never.
I only look up reviews after I've seen something to help understand different perspectives, otherwise they can subconsciously influence your thoughts on a work.

Do not follow someone else's opinion without viewing the work first, it's quite rudimentary and astonishingly ignorant.
Jan 30, 2019 1:12 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
No. That is for people who are stupid and too weak to attempt to derive their own thoughts and conclusions on stuff and rely on others to provide them with as much. The worst of humanity imo.

Jan 30, 2019 1:25 PM

Oct 2015
Of course not. Why would you stop thinking for yourself and let others do the job for you, be it about media, politics or anything that requires cognition for that matter? Human cognitive abilities is what differentiates us from lower life forms. To renounce that would be degrading.
Jan 30, 2019 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
If I knew their previous reviews and agreed with their views, I would take it into consideration. But that would happen if I was really hesitant about the show. I wouldn’t really care about their popularity, though.
Jan 30, 2019 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
MahoMaho88 said:
Not limited to any platform, so not only Youtube, it could be here on MAL too.

Lmfao. I especially wouldn't take his word on it if I read it on MAL.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jan 30, 2019 4:36 PM

Dec 2015
There are few critics who I truly trust on their reviews. And even with thoses, I already disagree with most of them. At best, I take their reviews and go watch the series with caution
Jan 30, 2019 5:33 PM

Jun 2015
There is only one anime reviewer whose word I take for god.
Jan 30, 2019 5:35 PM

Jul 2017
no
i trust nobody when it comes to reviews
i'll see for myself instead
Jan 30, 2019 7:03 PM

Jul 2009
That's called being a sheep. You'd be better off being an independent thinker.
Jan 30, 2019 7:10 PM

Dec 2018
idgaf tbh it's way better to be the judge and experience it yourself

but I still take notes about the review

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Jan 30, 2019 7:16 PM

Oct 2013
I wouldn't trust anyone who says 'x' is the worst show ever because chances are they're just exaggerating.

And I'm definitely not going to trust someone just because they're popular since it's not like that automatically makes them right.
Jan 30, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
No, i remeber that watching one video of those guys bashing Shinsekai Yori and pointing its "flaws" and didn't convinced me that instead of being a under appreciated anime it's trash instead.

Same thing with Nozaki-kun, Goblin Slayer and others.

Jan 30, 2019 7:37 PM

Oct 2018
The only opinion I believe is my own. I go into anime with an open mind. I feel expecting a show to be bad going into it just makes it worse so I tend to ignore reviews, even the good ones.

Jan 30, 2019 7:42 PM

Aug 2011
No because their opinions are uneducated and inferior to my own well thought out researched opinions.
Now if everybody and their dogs says something is bad I probably won't waste my time watching it unless it looks really interesting.
Jan 30, 2019 7:44 PM

Oct 2010
What kind of question is this? Is anybody going to answer "yes, I do" in a totally non-ironic way?

My opinions can be molded by stuff I read and listen, but they are still my own. I don't hate or like stuff just because I hear bad or good things about it, if anything I can take them as a basis to reinterpret my own conclusions, and perhaps decide that there's more to dislike or enjoy than I first concluded.
Jan 30, 2019 8:36 PM

Jul 2016
Review is an opinion and opinion is subjective. So, I don't want to take it seriously, although the review is made by popular person.
Jan 30, 2019 9:01 PM

Feb 2015
i dont think so, its not like everyone is the same. You need to know, reviews is just an opinion from the watcher about the anime itself in general. The one who decided if it suited to your taste or not, is yourself. Also there's no shit taste.
Jan 31, 2019 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:

SAO is a solid 3.67/10 for me. The garbage story and equally garbage characters can take nothing away from the beautiful BG scenary, the original premise (that lasted 22 mins) and Tomatsu Haruka's ED Yume Sekai performance.

How do people come up with these numbers? Do you have an actual system or formula for this or is this is a random number?
Jan 31, 2019 8:20 AM

Apr 2015
I like Digibro, but he's ridiculously wrong about A-1 Pictures and, in particular, Shinsekai yori.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 31, 2019 11:34 AM

Nov 2018
Nope, I just watch what I like the look or sound of, and watch the entire Anime, then decide if it was good or not, I don't drop Anime either so I do watch everything all the way through once I started
Jan 31, 2019 11:36 AM

Jan 2019
No, i couldn't care less, i don't watch Anitubers either.
If he says SAO is shit, then in my opinion he is full of shit.
Its the best Isekai for me.

Its that simple.

Think for yourself, and form your own opinion.
Jan 31, 2019 11:41 AM

Mar 2016
This is honestly not an easy thing to answer.

I'm just gonna say just take it with a grain of salt and decide for yourself. At the very least, depending on who it is, their reviews may or may not help with references or things you felt were unexplained, though often you can do that on your own without having to read them.
Jan 31, 2019 11:42 AM

Dec 2016
if the premise doesn't interest me, and there's several bad reviews, then yeah i'll take their word for it. why watch something just to spite someone who doesn't care?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 31, 2019 11:44 AM
Jan 2018
jal90 said:
What kind of question is this? Is anybody going to answer "yes, I do" in a totally non-ironic way?

My opinions can be molded by stuff I read and listen, but they are still my own. I don't hate or like stuff just because I hear bad or good things about it, if anything I can take them as a basis to reinterpret my own conclusions, and perhaps decide that there's more to dislike or enjoy than I first concluded.

Exactly.
There are always different interpretations and they should be considered if they are constructed correctly.
And even then you can still disagree with said interpretation.
Jan 31, 2019 12:39 PM

May 2009
Nanaya-kun said:
If a popular anime reviewer says that something is crap will you take his word for it?

Not limited to any platform, so not only Youtube, it could be here on MAL too.
Say for the sake of an example, Digibro and his SAO sucks series. The guy says SAO was THE WORST ANIME EVER MADE or some b8 shit like that. So will you take the b8, and not experience the show for yourself in order to formulate your own opinion? And that is only an example, replace SAO or Digibro with whatever or whoever you want really, that's not the point here.
Funny you should mention Digibro, because I have a meatspace friend who used to be a big fan of Digibro and touted his 12-(or-so-) part series about why The Asterisk War sucks. He made such a big point of it that I eventually ended up watching the darn thing.

I never watched Digibro's stuff myself, because I just don't follow youtubers anyway (and I never have anyway). But the SAO hatedom did eventually get me to pick up SAO II (specifically II because I dropped the first series for unrelated reasons).

Dunno why you call it "b8" when you're implying that it's bait for people to just copy the opinion and not form their own, while if anything, to me, it's more like bait in the form of "schmuck bait" in that it makes me want to watch it because everyone else says it sucks. I've done this for other shows too.

(FWIW I actually kinda enjoyed the first half of SAO II. So there. Also The Asterisk War is okay. Has some parts I don't like, e.g. Julis's constant tsundere blushing, harem rivalries; and some I do like, e.g. Irene's backstory, battle tactics.)
GlennMagusHarveyJan 31, 2019 12:49 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 31, 2019 12:59 PM
Jul 2018
@GlennMagusHarvey yes, bad publicity is still publicity ... but still calling something like SAO the worst anime you have ever seen is a bit stupid, like there are tons of other worse titles, SAO is visually and musically appealing at least, but I guess the SAO hatedom was at its peak when he made those so ofc it has to be "the worst ever". So yeah, those statements at least to me seem like b8. Also if a lot of people parrot smt it becomes a known fact after the thousand time (especially in the anime fandom), so when some popular youtube anime reviewer says this show is trash etc, his fans will spread that, and the show will forever have that stigma to it. Like remember when School Days was "the worst" anime ever?

Ofc after the stigma has sunkd in, many will just watch out of the reputation of the work to see how bad it is, and can either come out disappointed, confused to why this is considered bad, or end up enjoying it and wonder why it was considered bad in the first place.
removed-userJan 31, 2019 1:02 PM
Jan 31, 2019 1:22 PM

May 2015
No, that's dumb as fuck. You should always experience something yourself and form your own opinion.

Jan 31, 2019 2:49 PM

Dec 2008
If somebody says a show is shit it piques my curiosity so I'll watch an episode or two and more often than not I end up liking that show.
zrdbJan 31, 2019 2:53 PM
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jan 31, 2019 4:03 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Not like SAO appeals to me and it's long as fuck but I listened to the mans argument, can tell that it's shit. Why waste my time?
Jan 31, 2019 4:16 PM

Feb 2010
I wouldn't even know the opinions of popular anime reviewers if people didn't frequently made salty threads about them on AD.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 31, 2019 5:25 PM

Aug 2009
Just because Gigguk isn't wrong doesn't mean I have to listen to him.

Jan 31, 2019 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
I bet 99% of everyone here will answer "no", but that's bullshit.
We are human beings. We're social animals. We, including me especially, are vulernable to peer pressure. So yes, most of us, including me, take an anime reviewer who we really like, and take their opinion as the word.
Jan 31, 2019 6:38 PM
Aug 2016
I've watched a couple of so called "trash" anime that i actually ended up liking. i don't care much of what other people think, if i don't like it ill drop it, simple
Jan 31, 2019 6:43 PM

Nov 2016
Ok, ok. Digibro is right and Shinsekai yori sucks balls.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 31, 2019 6:47 PM
Mar 2015
Shanimebib is one of the few people reviewing current shoujo manga. I would be a fool not to at least consider her opinion
Jan 31, 2019 7:29 PM

May 2009
Nanaya-kun said:
@GlennMagusHarvey yes, bad publicity is still publicity ... but still calling something like SAO the worst anime you have ever seen is a bit stupid, like there are tons of other worse titles, SAO is visually and musically appealing at least, but I guess the SAO hatedom was at its peak when he made those so ofc it has to be "the worst ever". So yeah, those statements at least to me seem like b8. Also if a lot of people parrot smt it becomes a known fact after the thousand time (especially in the anime fandom), so when some popular youtube anime reviewer says this show is trash etc, his fans will spread that, and the show will forever have that stigma to it. Like remember when School Days was "the worst" anime ever?
Amusingly, I never really "hung out with" the fandom so School Days's reputation is actually a recent discovery for me.

The result is that in my mind it's now sort of a blank slate with someone else's post-it note attached to it, and of course I have completely no idea whether that post-it note is even applicable to me, haha.

But yeah, like you mention, after something has been parroted for a while it starts to sink in and so people go from saying "I heard [Show X] sucks" to simply saying "[Show X] sucks", even if they still haven't seen it. But even if they haven't seen it, this thing can happen particularly easily if someone's friend goes "Hey, [Show X] sucks because [reason reason reason]." So now even if you haven't seen it you've had a (at least relatively speaking) trusted person giving you a reasoned opinion about something, so...you start to form an opinion with that as a starting point, even if it's a weak opinion.

And then there's people using opinions as social footballs. E.g. "do you hate SAO?", "do you praise LOTGH?", etc.

These often just make people dig in further on opinions of shows they've seen, while adopting the stances of whichever side they want to present as for shows they haven't seen.

HopefulNihilist said:
We are human beings. We're social animals. We, including me especially, are vulernable to peer pressure. So yes, most of us, including me, take an anime reviewer who we really like, and take their opinion as the word.
I think people just sorta need a way to get information on the many, many series they haven't actually seen, so as to be able to talk about them and socialize over them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 31, 2019 11:42 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah totes. If Mother's Basement, Pedantic Romantic and Digibro all say something's good or bad, it must be 100% fact.

/s
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2019 11:47 PM

Jun 2016
well, the thing is, most people already knew sao was crap even before digibro made a video on it lul
i've been a weeb since i was in the womb
Jan 31, 2019 11:56 PM

Nov 2018
Well, I believe that we must consider the reviewer's views But, its always best to check it out for yourself. Sometimes, the 1st episode is enough to hook us on.

Well, Most of the time it depends on our genre preferences and other reviewers scores.
Feb 1, 2019 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
Sometimes yes, but not really! HOWEVER, I will attempt to take their WORDS for it, and that is how the system works.

Popular or not, a review is just a review and can work both ways no matter the intent they were written with. Someone might have an issue with a show that wont really be an issue for me; for example a social justice issue, cast members, or tropes. So as they convey their disdain for said "crap", I am still benefiting from their review, especially if its well done. I like to think that is why they example key for reviewing on this website focuses on:
STORY
SOUND
CHARACTERS
ENJOYMENT
(Then offers the suggestion of averaging out those numbers for the)
OVERALL.

That format helps keep our opinions honest and informative good or bad, and it is a simple system that saves the reader from our own personal bias.

The discouragement of spoilers leads to better reviews as well.

"I HATE X SHOW BECAUSE Y DIDNT DO THE THING WITH Z!", spoilviewer.

Right, but the art and music were fantastic! So a person not aiming to care about Y and Z might still have a good time with X. ((don't do drugs)).

So even if a reviewer blatantly tells me a show is crap, I am still able to form my own opinion from a well written or vlogged review. If a reviewer I like tells me a show is crap WITHOUT offering me an actual review, then I would still be making an uninformed decision. The only person I could blame for missing good content would be me.

************BONUS-RANT**************

I LOVE the fact you picked sword art online for your example. A lot of people express dissatisfaction with the series. I am one of them, BUT its a very delicate situation that people fail to express. I hate sword art because I loved sword art. Confused yet?. It was like a prize fighter coming out the gate with power and grace, but then it lost its breath and was ultimately defeated. While that 1st season eventually let me down, I can't deny how swept away I was with the story at the start. So if a good reviewer (and they would be good if they were popular) succeeded in expressing that thought. I might still be informed of its eventual demise, BUT watch it anyway to see the bits that would seduce me for myself.

This is why not everyone is cut out to become a popular content reviewer. Way to often shows we love become "CRAP" over a certain ship that did or didn't sail, an unexpected death, or a simple change in the story. While those events probably do arguably ruin the show, it often hurts the most when we have previously fallen for or became invested in the show or series. So in that grief we want to nail the series to the cross, but easily forget to leave out the details of why we were so invested in the first place. So if a reviewer tells me a show is crap, and we have a report in place , MAYBE I can take word for it. Later Later.
Feb 1, 2019 3:01 AM

Jun 2016
CabooseGI said:
Anime is entertainment. It's subjective. That being said reviews do affect how I see a show starting in or upon finishing which can't be helped after reading one. If it's something like Bunny Girl (which I haven't watched) where the top reviews say its crap but during it airing everyone was praising it and it has a high score, I'm more inclined to trust the majority there. Besides if something is popular its popular for a reason even if its bad and if there's a show that was worth it for thousands of people to spend a few hours of their life watching it, then I'm willing to give it a shot regardless what a reviewer says.

tldr: Even if it might affect my expectations of a show, if a show is popular it's popular for a reason and I'll still watch it anyway unless I personally find it bad (entertainment is subjective)

A tl:dr for 100 words makes me sad :(

Word Limit
Feb 1, 2019 3:45 AM

Aug 2009
HopefulNihilist said:

Then I guess I'm the 1% of independent thinkers and contrarians who know their likes and dislikes in regards to, not only anime but entertainment in general, and are either willing to spend the time to try something out for science, or just write it off based on the genre regardless of popular opinion or some "authoritative voice."

I mean, 99% of people aren't followers. I ain't saying it's 50/50, but I wouldn't be associated with Ikkitousen if I took Gigguk's word as gospel.

Feb 1, 2019 4:00 AM

Jul 2015
Well, his/her opinion won't affect mine if I already watched the show. In case I haven't yet and we have similar preferences I might not watch it since that person didn't like it, but that hasn't really happened tbh.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

17 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 1 hour ago

6 by MedK001 »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

45 by IpreferEcchi »»
13 minutes ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

25 by LightWorker »»
15 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

88 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.