Forum Settings
Forums

Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics, or does it not matter anymore?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 29, 2019 11:13 PM

Dec 2018
I’m sure this is already been said, I didn’t read the other comments, but I’m sure it won’t hurt to say again;

Nobody is, or should be, required to watch anything. People watch anime for enjoyment. You watch what your interested in and don’t watch what you aren’t interested in. (Unless you’re bored a f and wanna kill time)

Basically the same arguement id make for descrimination of any sort. It’s their life stay the fuck out of it :3
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Jan 29, 2019 11:16 PM

Dec 2018
MahoMaho88 said:
Like, stuff from the 90's or early 00's. Are stuff from the early 10's the replacements now? ? Is Death Note and Code Geass considered too old by today standards? If so do say what you think are the new "classics"; Fairy Tail, SAO, AOT, Tokyo Ghoul, FMA B, HxH 2011, Fate/Zero?

HxH is not, and never will be, a classic. It’s overhyped garbage that’s failed to run its full course twice now, and the source material will probably never finish cause of the writer.

Despite it being overrated here in MAL, in terms of success HxH falls short of anything remotely close to deserving the “classic” title.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Jan 29, 2019 11:28 PM

Mar 2017
Seems to be quite a few of these threads quietly speculating on whether or not any given series is 'required', huh? I couldn't say why.

So, firstly, no one should be required to watch an anime. Period.

Re-approaching the question as 'Are old classics worth watching for newer anime fans?' I would generally say yes, provided they are classics that align with fans' interests. If you hate Battle Shonen, you probably shouldn't watch Fist of the North Star, and if you hate creepy, pointless fanservice, you probably shouldn't watch Code Pizza Hut.

I also think it's important to recognize that many classics were held back visually by the technology limitations and budgets of their time. This is why animation recycling was more of a thing back in the day then it is now. This isn't to say that all new anime is visually superior to the old stuff (Akira still makes a good chunk of modern anime look like crap, and it's 30 year old), but I often find myself looking at recycling in things like Azumanga Daioh an Revolutionary Girl Utena and going, "Eh, it the limitations of the time." I don't know if everyone can or is willing to do that.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Jan 30, 2019 12:59 AM

May 2018
MahoMaho88 said:
Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics

Nope, they should watch whatever they like or find interesting.

Watching classics (Good luck figuring out which are those!) is for the curious ones who want to know more about the media and it's history.

MahoMaho88 said:
Like, stuff from the 90's or early 00's.

How about stuff from the 80s, 70s and even the limited available titles from 60s?
Preferable with remastered from the original film print versions. (Thus countering the absurd "There are not enough pixels in the old anime" critic.)

MahoMaho88 said:
If so do say what you think are the new "classics"

What a ridiculous idea, this is not how the term classic works.
For example "Lets replace Shakespeare because there are better poets now. Well, not sure what a better poet should be like but there newer and newer is always better, right?"

MahoMaho88 said:
Fairy Tail, SAO, AOT, Tokyo Ghoul, FMA B, HxH 2011, Fate/Zero

Fairy Tail, SAO and Tokyo Ghoul are instant classics to you...seriously?
Jan 30, 2019 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
MahoMaho88 said:

Fairy Tail, SAO and Tokyo Ghoul are instant classics to you...seriously?

I think you failed to grasp the irony here. Like many other people in this thread, wow.

Let me elaborate! Most newer anime fans don't watch lower quality stuff that looks weird or old to them right?! Like 90's or 80's anime, even early 00's now. So logically they conclude that shit from the early 10's is the new "old". Do you get the logic I was going for now? I've seen quite the few who are like that too, so it isn't like I'm overreacting. I agree tho that a classic is a classic regardless of age.
Jan 30, 2019 1:26 AM

Jan 2013
Why only focus on the 90s/00s? Theres also the ones from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
But anyways no it isn't required to watch them, but at the very least do your homework on the history about anime, how it came to be.

Deathko said:

Deknijff said:
What I would rather require is that new fans be taught import terms like loli, traps, how Deres work with it being used correctly too unlike how most fans use them now and what is a genre or demographic along if its just a western term for convenience or a term that the Japanese par take in as well when classifying things in the community

Heh... Honestly I think anime fans know way too much about deres and lolis and not enough about actual animation, anime history, or anything that is actually relevant when it comes to talking about something else than best girl of the season.
Pretty much.
CabronJan 30, 2019 1:30 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 30, 2019 1:28 AM

Oct 2010
Yes, of course, classics like ikkitousen and highschool dxd must be watched.
Jan 30, 2019 1:56 AM

May 2017
Nobody should be 'required' to watch anything, since this is just a hobby. But I think some classic anime can be really good, and people shouldn't just skip 'em because they're old. People who do that miss out on some truly wonderful shows.
Jan 30, 2019 2:38 AM

May 2018
MahoMaho88 said:

I think you failed to grasp the irony here. Like many other people in this thread, wow.

The irony is obvious but your arguments are not very well presented, like this last mixing of generally well received shows with ones that the community have no consensus on.

MahoMaho88 said:
Most newer anime fans don't watch lower quality stuff that looks weird or old to them right?! Like 90's or 80's anime, even early 00's now. So logically they conclude that shit from the early 10's is the new "old". Do you get the logic I was going for now?

Happens with every new generation and I have seen at least two (because I am an oldfart). Believe me there is no way to explain or even indoctrinate (which sounds bad) how wrong is this self limitation. They must discover it by their own means (or get burnout "I have seen all anime and it is repetitive and boring" and drop the whole thing).

MahoMaho88 said:

I've seen quite the few who are like that too, so it isn't like I'm overreacting.

I know this very well (for example the "not enough pixels" people) but the only thing you can do is argue with polite words, demonstrate more experience and give multiple examples for more detailed art + animation or more interesting storytelling + stories.

MahoMaho88 said:

I agree tho that a classic is a classic regardless of age.

Well, apart the "test of time" thing classic also means consensus...which is tricky.

I prefer to have my personal version of classics - like excluding Dragon Ball but including stuff like Uchuusen Sagittarius...
alshuJan 30, 2019 2:44 AM
Jan 30, 2019 2:53 AM

May 2014
They can if they want to, but it's not required at all.
Jan 30, 2019 4:20 AM

Oct 2013
@Deathko well if you think so
I have nothing against them learning that but what I brought up is important to me since I see people using those things wrong but also criticing based off wrong information
Jan 30, 2019 5:50 AM

Jul 2015
vhagar8 said:
Deathko said:
Definitely with @kobikoba here. Nothing is mandatory, tho the reasons why anyone would stick to watching mostly modern stuff, good or bad, when they could watch mostly good stuff, old or modern, are kinda obscure to me.

First of all, how are u supposed to know something is good or bad if you haven't watched it? Unless ur implying that every old show is good so u can't go wrong with that I don't see how the year it's made in would raise your chance to watch something good.
And anyway about why people don't watch old stuffs there may be a tons of reason.
I'm personally both not into the sci-fi genre and old graphic so old anime don't look very appealing to me. That's why I rarely watch them.
(Note: old anime to me means pre 2002/2003)

Well, there's a reason why I said "mostly", but to go a bit further... Are you more likely to have a good idea of wether or not you'll like an old, well documented anime, made by some director you love; or some random seasonal amongst 30 others getting released every season?
Nobody is going to recommend you the Smartphone Isekai or Goblin Slayer of the 70's, because old shit anime has already been wed out by the community.

The sci-fi genre? Rose of Versailles is sci-fi/mecha? Ie Naki Ko? That makes about as much sense as saying you don't watch modern anime because you don't like isekai *shrugs*.

Regarding the "graphics" argument... Meh, it'd be too long to go into that and we wouldn't talk about the same thing. See, that was my previous point about anime fans knowing more about deres than about actual animation. I guess you're talking about art style here (especially considering you have no OTT sakuga anime in your fav list like TTGL with its very distinct animation style and tricks), but without the right words this discussion can't go anywhere. "graphics" doesn't mean shit and is the magic word and argument video game companies shoved down consumers throats over the last decades.
Jan 30, 2019 7:00 AM

Jun 2015
I just wish more anime fans could step out of their comfort zone a little. This doesn't just apply to what decade the anime was made in, but also the genres. Why people want to limit themselves with the media they consume is beyond me, but oh well.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Jan 30, 2019 7:04 AM

Apr 2018
Deathko said:
vhagar8 said:

First of all, how are u supposed to know something is good or bad if you haven't watched it? Unless ur implying that every old show is good so u can't go wrong with that I don't see how the year it's made in would raise your chance to watch something good.
And anyway about why people don't watch old stuffs there may be a tons of reason.
I'm personally both not into the sci-fi genre and old graphic so old anime don't look very appealing to me. That's why I rarely watch them.
(Note: old anime to me means pre 2002/2003)

Well, there's a reason why I said "mostly", but to go a bit further... Are you more likely to have a good idea of wether or not you'll like an old, well documented anime, made by some director you love; or some random seasonal amongst 30 others getting released every season?
Nobody is going to recommend you the Smartphone Isekai or Goblin Slayer of the 70's, because old shit anime has already been wed out by the community.

The sci-fi genre? Rose of Versailles is sci-fi/mecha? Ie Naki Ko? That makes about as much sense as saying you don't watch modern anime because you don't like isekai *shrugs*.

Regarding the "graphics" argument... Meh, it'd be too long to go into that and we wouldn't talk about the same thing. See, that was my previous point about anime fans knowing more about deres than about actual animation. I guess you're talking about art style here (especially considering you have no OTT sakuga anime in your fav list like TTGL with its very distinct animation style and tricks), but without the right words this discussion can't go anywhere. "graphics" doesn't mean shit and is the magic word and argument video game companies shoved down consumers throats over the last decades.

Well, actually the equivalent of watching old anime isn't watching seasonal anime, there's enough "new anime" in the last decade to pick whatever u want.
About recommendentions, I don't think u liked every anime that has been recommended to u or that u heard people praising, I certainly didn't. So I don't value the opinion of the community enough to care about recommendetions anyway.

About the sci-fi stuffs, that might be my fault for generalizing. But, literally every old anime I've heard people talking about that is not a ghibli film is sci-fi (akira, gits, lotgh, cowboy bebop, gundam, eva, lain and so on)

"anime fans knowing more about deres than about actual animation".
I honestly don't see any problem there, we watch anime, we don't produce anime.
Anyway, I don't know how u want to call it if graphics means shit to u, I just know old anime look bad to me from a visual point of view, and there's quite the number of people that agree with me since that's always the problem people bring up when u ask them why they don't watch/like old stuffs
vhagar8Jan 30, 2019 7:12 AM
Jan 30, 2019 7:11 AM

Apr 2018
karkki_ said:
I just wish more anime fans could step out of their comfort zone a little. This doesn't just apply to what decade the anime was made in, but also the genres. Why people want to limit themselves with the media they consume is beyond me, but oh well.

I mean, I can see where this way of thinking is coming from but I honestly disagree.
There's enough anime of the genres I already like to keep watching anime forever, literally.
Why should I give a try to something "I may like" if there are more anime than I'll ever be able to watch of what I already like?
Jan 30, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:

Anyway, I don't know how u want to call it if graphics means shit to u, I just know old anime look bad to me from a visual point of view, and there's quite the number of people that agree with me since that's always the problem people bring up when u ask them why they don't watch/like old stuffs

I disagree here. Older stuff can look better animation wise than newer stuff. Especially cell animated OVA's from the 80's which had a much higher budget on average than most TV anime of today. Every year there are lots of BD's of older anime coming out too, so lower resolution ain't the problem. Ignorance and stupidity are. Just cause it is old it has to be bad right? wow It's like comparing modern art to classical art, or classical music to dubstep. And saying that the later is better cause it is newer. Conclusion, you should check out some older anime and maybe you will change your mind idk. Movies from the 90's maybe a good star, like Gits, or maybe Cowboy Bebop, lots of which to pick from. But hey, I don't mind if you want to limit yourself, just don't act like you know it all.
removed-userJan 30, 2019 7:20 AM
Jan 30, 2019 7:18 AM

Jul 2015
vhagar8 said:

The same people claim that Kimi no na Wa is the most impressive movie ever animation-wise, or that NGE has shit animation because it has still shots (wich are by definition bound to be still, wether it's in live action or animation)

*raises an eyebrow* I dunno, if you like to use the wrong words and express opinions that don't make much sense because others do too; or if you think dere archetypes matter more to the quality of the final product than animation, then np I guess *shrugs*
Jan 30, 2019 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
It shouldn't matter, it should have never mattered.
Jan 30, 2019 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
Deathko said:
vhagar8 said:

The same people claim that Kimi no na Wa is the most impressive movie ever animation-wise, or that NGE has shit animation because it has still shots (wich are by definition bound to be still, wether it's in live action or animation)

*raises an eyebrow* I dunno, if you like to use the wrong words and express opinions that don't make much sense because others do too; or if you think dere archetypes matter more to the quality of the final product than animation, then np I guess *shrugs*

Since when does NGE have shit animation, inconsistent animation; yes, but only the last two episodes didn't have budget. Plus there are the rebuilds, but I guess those people are too ignorant to know of that.

Many people say it so it has to be true right?! lmao
When you want to back yourself up with the majority hive mind. Many people say SAO is a masterpiece too, so?
removed-userJan 30, 2019 7:33 AM
Jan 30, 2019 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think they're required to watch them but it's a real plus for anime fans in general.
Jan 30, 2019 7:39 AM

Jan 2019
Required? As an absolutely bonkers psychopath once said, poor choice of words.

It's not as if anime is a "skill".

It doesn't matter (and it never did, when it comes to any form of entertainment media) if you've watched old classics or not. Eventually as your interest grows within any medium you will naturally hear about the classics and may or may not become curious to watch them.

If you're not daft you'll watch them with a healthy respect for the time when the piece was made as there are very few timeless classics like Blade Runner, for example.

Seriously though, brap, this is a nothing thread.
Jan 30, 2019 7:40 AM

Jul 2015
@MahoMaho88 You'd be surprised at how many people claim that actually ^^
Jan 30, 2019 7:43 AM

Apr 2018
MahoMaho88 said:
vhagar8 said:

I disagree here. Older stuff can look better animation wise than newer stuff. Especially cell animated OVA's from the 80's which had a much higher budget on average than most TV anime of today. Every year there are lots of BD's coming out too, so lower resolution ain't the problem. Ignorance and stupidity are. Just cause it is old it has to be bad right? wow It's like comparing modern art to classical art, or classical music to dubstep. And saying that the later is better cause it is newer. Conclusion, you should check out some older anime and maybe you will change your mind idk. Movies from the 90's maybe a good star, like Gits.

So an expensive carriage straigh out of middle age is faster than a cheap car of our era, because "it had more budget"?
Of course the newer stuffs are better than older one from a technical standpoint, it's called progress.
The comparison with art or music makes no sense to me since here we aren't talking about anime from a artistical standpoint but a technical one
And in that comment I haven't even said newer anime were better objectively speaking, I just said older anime looked worse TO ME.
I actually watched some of them and didn't like what I saw, it's bloody personal preference.
I was just offerring my point of view since some people here were saying they didn't get why someone would limit himself to watch only the newer stuffs. If you wanna brush off my point of view as ignorance because it differers from yours, well, that's sounds like actual ignorance to me
Jan 30, 2019 7:43 AM

Dec 2018
Definitely not. Especially now with all the possible streaming services and shows to start off with.
Jan 30, 2019 7:46 AM

Jun 2015
vhagar8 said:
karkki_ said:

I mean, I can see where this way of thinking is coming from but I honestly disagree.
There's enough anime of the genres I already like to keep watching anime forever, literally.
Why should I give a try to something "I may like" if there are more anime than I'll ever be able to watch of what I already like?

Because you might find something new you like which you would've never thought of liking before. I'm personally not a big fan of military and isekai shows myself but I wouldn't mind watching some more because I may end up watching a show that takes me by surprise. That's just me though and you're allowed to disagree with me.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Jan 30, 2019 7:46 AM

Feb 2015
MahoMaho88 said:
vhagar8 said:

I disagree here. Older stuff can look better animation wise than newer stuff. Especially cell animated OVA's from the 80's which had a much higher budget on average than most TV anime of today. Every year there are lots of BD's of older anime coming out too, so lower resolution ain't the problem. Ignorance and stupidity are. Just cause it is old it has to be bad right? wow It's like comparing modern art to classical art, or classical music to dubstep. And saying that the later is better cause it is newer. Conclusion, you should check out some older anime and maybe you will change your mind idk. Movies from the 90's maybe a good star, like Gits, or maybe Cowboy Bebop, lots of which to pick from. But hey, I don't mind if you want to limit yourself, just don't act like you know it all.

Don't bother with this guy, according to his list he hated every old anime he ever watched. Heck, he gave NGE a 2/10...
Jan 30, 2019 7:48 AM

Nov 2016
Watching anime is something you do for yourself, there are no shoulds or whatever. So people may watch what they feel like watching and if they deliberately choose to stay away from entire decades then they're the ones who miss out.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 30, 2019 7:56 AM

Jul 2015
vhagar8 said:
MahoMaho88 said:

I disagree here. Older stuff can look better animation wise than newer stuff. Especially cell animated OVA's from the 80's which had a much higher budget on average than most TV anime of today. Every year there are lots of BD's coming out too, so lower resolution ain't the problem. Ignorance and stupidity are. Just cause it is old it has to be bad right? wow It's like comparing modern art to classical art, or classical music to dubstep. And saying that the later is better cause it is newer. Conclusion, you should check out some older anime and maybe you will change your mind idk. Movies from the 90's maybe a good star, like Gits.

So an expensive carriage straigh out of middle age is faster than a cheap car of our era, because "it had more budget"?
Of course the newer stuffs are better than older one from a technical standpoint, it's called progress.
The comparison with art or music makes no sense to me since here we aren't talking about anime from a artistical standpoint but a technical one

And in that comment I haven't even said newer anime were better objectively speaking, I just said older anime looked worse TO ME.
I actually watched some of them and didn't like what I saw, it's bloody personal preference.
I was just offerring my point of view since some people here were saying they didn't get why someone would limit himself to watch only the newer stuffs. If you wanna brush off my point of view as ignorance because it differers from yours, well, that's sounds like actual ignorance to me

See, the problem here is that you're saying very vague things on a subject that could (and should) be much more precise than "muh opinion" Especiallly since bringing technique up = bringing objectivity in the debate. So, from a technical standpoint, what can you say about framerates? Backgrounds? Various animation tricks? Animation rules? Art styles and their history?

Of course, Akira, released in 88, full 24 fps, with incredible care put into animation, believable physic, mechanical design, lightwork, etc, is worse than any current show with 3d cars and a sloppy framerate to save animation budget in favor of an overpaid female idol?
Jan 30, 2019 7:57 AM

Apr 2018
Deathko said:
vhagar8 said:

I have never even once in this topic talked about animation tho.
Well whatever, if you don't understand what I mean with "graphics" this conversation isn't going to go anywhere anyway

And the fact that people like to talk more about dere archetypes than animations doesn't mean they value them more.
Jan 30, 2019 8:08 AM

May 2018
vhagar8 said:

Well the difference is that better technical tools with less artistic efforts (in this case the money define how much) doesn't result in better artistic effect.
Anime nowadays often looks like trash just because the studios don't give enough time to the animators to do their job.

vhagar8 said:
And in that comment I haven't even said newer anime were better objectively speaking, I just said older anime looked worse TO ME. I actually watched some of them and didn't like what I saw, it's bloody personal preference.

And how about you randomly encountered some really bad old projects? Low budget always hunted anime, there is a lot cheap stuff in every period, actually most of the time.
Or maybe you didn't get the remastered BD version which in some cases has more details and "pixels" than some newer animes?

vhagar8 said:

Nope, limiting yourself is always ignorance.
Jan 30, 2019 8:11 AM

Apr 2018
Deathko said:
vhagar8 said:

See, the problem here is that you're saying very vague things on a subject that could (and should) be much more precise than "muh opinion" Especiallly since bringing technique up = bringing objectivity in the debate. So, from a technical standpoint, what can you say about framerates? Backgrounds? Various animation tricks? Animation rules? Art styles and their history?

Of course, Akira, released in 88, full 24 fps, with incredible care put into animation, believable physic, mechanical design, lightwork, etc, is worse than any current show with 3d cars and a sloppy framerate to save animation budget in favor of an overpaid female idol?

In fact I didn't want to start a debate on framerates, backgrounds, animation tricks and so on.
I was just answering to the post were u literally said "tho the reasons why anyone would stick to watching mostly modern stuff are kinda obscure to me."
The reason is because old stuffs look visually bad to some people (myself included), I can't tell u why because I'm no personally interested in the reason myself, I'm sorry but that's all I can tell u.
vhagar8Jan 30, 2019 8:22 AM
Jan 30, 2019 8:21 AM

Apr 2018
alshu said:
vhagar8 said:
And in that comment I haven't even said newer anime were better objectively speaking, I just said older anime looked worse TO ME. I actually watched some of them and didn't like what I saw, it's bloody personal preference.

And how about you randomly encountered some really bad old projects? Low budget always hunted anime, there is a lot cheap stuff in every period, actually most of the time.
Or maybe you didn't get the remastered BD version which in some cases has more details and "pixels" than some newer animes?

I watched some of the ones that were praised by the fans of that period in the same quality of the rest of the anime I've watched. Honestly it's the first time I see people having problem with accepting that older anime may look visually bad to some people, even if they don't feel the same way.

alshu said:
vhagar8 said:

Well that would be true if our lifespan was limitless.
Since we have a limited amount of time, I don't see the problem with choosing to invest said time in the best way possible.
Jan 30, 2019 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
vhagar8 said:
Deathko said:

Well, actually the equivalent of watching old anime isn't watching seasonal anime, there's enough "new anime" in the last decade to pick whatever u want.
About recommendentions, I don't think u liked every anime that has been recommended to u or that u heard people praising, I certainly didn't. So I don't value the opinion of the community enough to care about recommendetions anyway.

About the sci-fi stuffs, that might be my fault for generalizing. But, literally every old anime I've heard people talking about that is not a ghibli film is sci-fi (akira, gits, lotgh, cowboy bebop, gundam, eva, lain and so on)

My dude... no.
Not every "old" anime that isn't a Ghibli film is sci-fi, come on now.

As for your last paragraph, playing the ad populum card? That's cute.

Jan 30, 2019 8:56 AM

Apr 2018
Cabron said:
vhagar8 said:

My dude... no.

Goddammit it's like the 5th time I'm saying this, I'm not saying newer anime are superior, better, best of whatever. All I'm just saying is why some people might not like them, which was the topic of my very first comment before everyone got butthurs because I touched their fav periord.
I couldn't give less of a fuck about "opinions of the many", let alone use them to prove my points
Here I'm simply not making any point, just giving a bloody point of view
Jan 30, 2019 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
It actually never mattered. Anybody should watch what they want.

For example, I never watched Death Note and Attack on Titan (yet), even though they are the most popular 2 anime on this site.

As for what is considered a classic nowadays, I would say that stuff older than 10 years that are still popular/well-known today can be considered classics: Death Note, Code Geass, Toradora, Elfen Lied, Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater etc.
Jan 30, 2019 10:42 AM

May 2016
Not necessary. Being old and good doesn' t mean it has to be watched. There's plenty of new shows that I hear are fantastic, but I don't watch them for the same reason: I'm not interested in those shows.

Jan 30, 2019 10:48 AM

Apr 2018
Watch what you want, nobody gives a damn. Except for those elitist who have nothing better to do.
Wake me up for another crusade
Jan 30, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2019
what the hell are these threads

there is no requirement for anything

you people need to change your thinking
Jan 30, 2019 11:55 AM

Jan 2013
vhagar8 said:
Cabron said:
My dude... no.

Goddammit it's like the 5th time I'm saying this, I'm not saying newer anime are superior, better, best of whatever. All I'm just saying is why some people might not like them, which was the topic of my very first comment before everyone got butthurs because I touched their fav periord.
I couldn't give less of a fuck about "opinions of the many", let alone use them to prove my points
Here I'm simply not making any point, just giving a bloody point of view
Ok man my bad, don't pop an eye blood vessel.

Jan 30, 2019 11:57 AM

Apr 2017
There is no "should". Everyone watch what they want.
Jan 30, 2019 12:14 PM

Jun 2011
Wondering how you could even force someone.

I loved really current anime at the time that I started (anime from the last 5 years). But the early 00's was kind of a different time where even somethig like Yu Yu Hakusho could feel current.

I can understand not wanting to go back now that we are more than a decade into what I feel is the modern anime bluray era. Everything in HD.

Even if someone only watched shows from the last 10 years that are rated over 8, it would take a considerable amount of time to complete. Especially since the top 578 anime have a score of 8 or higher and most people even on this website will never see over 300.
And if you included everything rated above 7, 3687 titles are 7 or above.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 30, 2019 1:08 PM

May 2017
From definition being a "fan" of something is not the same as having pleasure - it's about your devotion. For example we like muffins. True fans of muffins would not only eat them more than average human but also actively seek for new tastes and recipes. They spread their enthusiasm by giving their baked goods to friends at every opportunity (and having cupcake underwear).
Knowledge of the muffin history or forcing yourself to eat onion flavor is not necessary.
Jan 30, 2019 1:27 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
No. Let people watch what they want to watch.
Jan 30, 2019 1:39 PM
Mar 2018
just watch what you want lol. nobody should force you to watch anything if you dont want to. unless its hxh 2011. you have to watch that or else you have big gay
Jan 30, 2019 1:51 PM
Mar 2017
I don't think anyone should be required to watch anything. You should watch what you believe you will like not what a big amount of people previously liked and now are forcing you to watch and enjoy too.
Jan 30, 2019 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
No, people shouldn't have to do a century of backtracking in order to enjoy the medium. They should, however, watch whatever interests them regardless of the age of the title though otherwise they could be missing out on several new old favorites.

Most of my favorites are from the 00s and lot of amazing anime were made during that time, it would be a shame if people just skipped over it.
KruszerJan 30, 2019 2:18 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 30, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2018
vhagar8 said:
alshu said:

I watched some of the ones that were praised by the fans of that period in the same quality of the rest of the anime I've watched. Honestly it's the first time I see people having problem with accepting that older anime may look visually bad to some people, even if they don't feel the same way.

I see, praised by random people, then some examples please!

Also I am not telling you that all old anime is great.
What I am saying is that really good stuff is rare and you shouden't limit yourself in the search of it.

vhagar8 said:
alshu said:

Well that would be true if our lifespan was limitless.
Since we have a limited amount of time, I don't see the problem with choosing to invest said time in the best way possible.

Exactly, so you should check for good anime in all periods because they are only few such titles instead wasting time watching all new ones with hope that some of them will be not trash...
And checking doesn't mean watching them A to Z, drop if you don't like.

Well, everything is up to you but banning periods from anime history seams a bit harsh and many people do it like you.
Why not saying something in the vain of "I have nothing against oldfashion anime just not in the mood right now. Maybe I will check some after year or two, maybe not." instead of "We have a limited amount of time and we should't wast it with obsolete titles!".
Art gets older in different ways than technology.
alshuJan 30, 2019 2:48 PM
Jan 30, 2019 3:04 PM

Aug 2018
You shouldn't be required to watch any show
Jan 30, 2019 3:10 PM

Mar 2015
It should be encouraged. As shitty as it is, I think if they really want to take it up as a hobby and really be a part of the community, they should at least try them out or at least know about them.

To someone who is just watching anime casually, this doesn't really matter.

Also, Let people watch what they want, because if you shove these shows down newer fans' throats they might get turned off and, possibly, even back away. Let 'em go at their own pace.
I wasn't ready for Cowboy Bebop until last year.
woah there
Jan 30, 2019 3:16 PM

Nov 2018
there is no duty to watch anything at all. so watch whatever you catches your interest. but some classics deserve their recommendations. old means not bad and new means not the best.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

96 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Attack on Titan do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

11 by phantom346 »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

72 by phantom346 »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime are the most "unapologetically anime"? (things you could never do in western cartoons)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 9

29 by AxiaG »»
28 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 4 hours ago

8 by MichaelJackson »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.