Forum Settings
Forums

Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics, or does it not matter anymore?

New
Jan 29, 2019 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
Like, stuff from the 90's or early 00's. Are stuff from the early 10's the replacements now? ? Is Death Note and Code Geass considered too old by today standards? If so do say what you think are the new "classics"; Fairy Tail, SAO, AOT, Tokyo Ghoul, FMA B, HxH 2011, Fate/Zero?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2019 4:26 PM

Apr 2018
No they shouldn't, unless I personally like it.
Jan 29, 2019 4:27 PM

Jan 2018
i think everyone should watch a bit of everything. i like older anime, but that's just a preference.
Jan 29, 2019 4:28 PM

Jul 2017
Did it ever matter?

I don't think anime is something where you have to have watched certain shows in order to be considered a fan or such. Hell there are people who've watched tons but haven't watched shows like SAO for instance
Jan 29, 2019 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
Hell there are people who've watched tons but haven't watched shows like SAO for instance

And that in itself is a good thing, they shouldn't watch SAO.
removed-userJan 29, 2019 4:33 PM
Jan 29, 2019 4:30 PM
Jan 2019
You shouldn't have to watch specific shows to be considered a fan of something. Anime is like any other form of entertainment, there shouldn't be a bar of entry as to whether or not you can be considered a fan. If you like anime, you are a fan of anime.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 29, 2019 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
I can't understand why people this days think that shows of the last 5 years can compete with everything the industry have achieved in the last 50 years? I mean, it's pretty obvious to me that there will be certain titles from the last 50 years that are better than wjat we had in the last 5.
Also,the appeal and atmosphere in some of the older shows is different
From what we have now. A good example is future boy conan, we dont
Have anything like that this days
Jan 29, 2019 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
kobikoba said:
I can't understand why people this days think that shows of the last 5 years can compete with everything the industry have achieved in the last 50 years? I mean, it's pretty obvious to me that there will be certain titles from the last 50 years that are better than wjat we had in the last 5.
Also,the appeal and atmosphere in some of the older shows is different
From what we have now. A good example is future boy conan, we dont
Have anything like that this days

Yes yes, btw I miss the atmospheric horror anime of the past, which we do not get today.
Jan 29, 2019 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
new anime fans should watch what they want without being pressured
But they need to be told that just because you watch like 20 shows that doesn't magically make you an expert

What I would rather require is that new fans be taught import terms like loli, traps, how Deres work with it being used correctly too unlike how most fans use them now and what is a genre or demographic along if its just a western term for convenience or a term that the Japanese par take in as well when classifying things in the community
Jan 29, 2019 4:38 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
It shouldn't be a requirement to join a site, game or forum, though (unless they specifically target fans of older works)
Tons of older anime are currently not legally watchable or gone lost with time.

But just as with everything

If you're doing something for yourself: do your own thing and have a good time doing that.
Now if you're aiming to be acknowledged by a certain group it could pay off to study up on what that group finds important or is currently into.
Jan 29, 2019 4:38 PM

Feb 2010
dont force yourself you will get curious and watch it eventually
Jan 29, 2019 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
Required? Is this some kind of school or work?
Jan 29, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2013
vvicked said:

This. It took me a while to show any interest in 90's anime.
Jan 29, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2017
You can't replace a classic, it's called a classic for a reason.
Jan 29, 2019 4:48 PM

Oct 2017
i love the "be required to" like there's an office somewhere taking resumes of people applying to become an Anime Fan
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 29, 2019 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
fuyuki said:

Mythologically said:
I just love the word "required" in the title of the thread lol. this is literally a hobby
mifti said:
i love the "be required to" like there's an office somewhere taking resumes of people applying to become an Anime Fan

Well when you get into a hobby you do need to at least be familiar with the "classics" at the time ... otherwise you get people who praise MHA and BC for breaking the mold of shonen anime, and other such nonsense.

Nobody can force you ofc, and all is up to you. Limiting yourself can be a good way to find enjoyment in the little things.
Jan 29, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2017
vvicked said:

but yes pretty much this. watching anime is not a job
[/url]
Jan 29, 2019 4:51 PM

Oct 2018
Who cares? Are you going to put on your resume that you've watched all these classic anime? Because I think that lowers your chance of employment...

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 29, 2019 4:52 PM

Feb 2015
What you watch never mattered in the first place, what is this thread even about.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 29, 2019 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
Hakaminah said:
What you watch never mattered in the first place, what is this thread even about.

It says so in the title? So your taste and faves doesn't matter? Nothing matters? Life is meaningless? You don't matter? So your point is?
Jan 29, 2019 4:54 PM

Dec 2015
I think, you shoud only watch what you like, it's always cool to explore new genre.
But don't force yourself to watch something you woud not enjoy, it's a good way to lose interested in anime.

Jan 29, 2019 4:55 PM

Oct 2017
MahoMaho88 said:
Well when you get into a hobby you do need to at least be familiar with the "classics" at the time ... otherwise you get people who praise MHA and BC for breaking the mold of shonen anime, and other such nonsense.

that's the thing though, you don't. you don't need to be familiar with anything or know anything. it's anime, not a startup company. this idea that in order to be into something you need to fulfill criteria is nonsense and it's pedantic and it forces people to watch stuff they don't even like in order to be integrated and that's how they lose their passion, become competitive and become mindless anime forum trolls
[/url]
Jan 29, 2019 4:57 PM

Sep 2016
I honestly think it doesn't matter, as long they're enjoying the medium, why should there be some arbitrary barrier to entry
That being said, they should at least be shown these shows exist, and then they can check them out if they so please

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

Jan 29, 2019 4:57 PM

Jul 2016
Nillwas said:
I think, you shoud only watch what you like, it's always cool to explore new genre.
But don't force yourself to watch something you woud not enjoy, it's a good way to lose interested in anime.

Nope I don't care, force yourself to watch Eva and if you don't you're just a pleb who doesn't deserve to be in this community.

nashdashinJan 29, 2019 5:20 PM
Jan 29, 2019 4:58 PM

Feb 2015
MahoMaho88 said:
Hakaminah said:

It says so in the title? So your taste and faves doesn't matter? Nothing matters? Life is meaningless? You don't matter? So your point is?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Read the first part of my post again.

Seriously though, I never met someone who would think that you NEED to watch something. Also, "classics" will be "classics" and no more will be added to the poll. People who look for stuff like next "big 3" are failing to understand what even made them important and should be ignored.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 29, 2019 4:58 PM
Jul 2018
mifti said:
MahoMaho88 said:

that's the thing though, you don't. you don't need to be familiar with anything or know anything. it's anime, not a startup company. this idea that in order to be into something you need to fulfill criteria is nonsense and it's pedantic and it forces people to watch stuff they don't even like in order to be integrated and that's how they lose their passion, become competitive and become mindless anime forum trolls

That is why I said "Nobody can force you ofc, and all is up to you. Limiting yourself can be a good way to find enjoyment in the little things " wow.
Jan 29, 2019 5:00 PM

Aug 2012
There shouldn't be any requirements what so ever to watch anime. Just let people enjoy whatever they want :)
Those that are interested enough will watch the classics either way
Jan 29, 2019 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
MahoMaho88 said:
fuyuki said:

Mythologically said:
I just love the word "required" in the title of the thread lol. this is literally a hobby
mifti said:

Nobody can force you ofc, and all is up to you. Limiting yourself can be a good way to find enjoyment in the little things.
This is more about knowledge than personal experience. You don't need to experience something personally in order to have general knowledge about it. People who say bs like that are just ignorants who choose not to verify their info.
Jan 29, 2019 5:29 PM

Jul 2013
"be required to"... So watching anime is some kind of profession now? How do I get paid?
Jan 29, 2019 5:46 PM

Aug 2016
No people are free to watch whatever anime they feel like watching lol.
Jan 29, 2019 5:50 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
people should be able to watch w/e the hell they want
Jan 29, 2019 5:52 PM

Dec 2017
Just as a function of how important Evangelion was for the industry I think it's important to watch it, but it shouldn't be a requirement

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Jan 29, 2019 5:57 PM
Feb 2017
I'd say try watching what is mainstream, and then make your way out from there. It allows you to get a base understanding that most watchers have, basically giving you an understanding on what is "good" and what is "bad" than allowing them to watch a single show and praise it as being really good, but in reality isn't as good as the fans make it seem (like SAO, I thought it was good even though there were plenty of plot holes and such).
Jan 29, 2019 5:59 PM
Jan 2012
Anime fans are on such a huge spectrum of different kinds that there's no such thing as a requirement for anything, and that's how it should be
Jan 29, 2019 6:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
They can watch whatever the hell they want, it isn't an issue. They'll eventually figure out whatever they like, then find other people who they can talk about shit with, and that'll lead them into finding out more and more shit they're into. I'm sure that if they actually get into it enough they'll stick around to watch some of the "significant" stuff if it interests them.

The whole thing I'm against is the concept of gateway series to try to convert people, though. "What series is best for new people?" "How to introduce someone to anime?" blah blah blah. Let them figure that out on their own if they're interested, if you know them then try to make a rec to point them in a direction you think might fit them well. That's much more on them to get into and figure out what sort of shit they like, than anime as a holistic entity to be repped by a few certain series. The idea of a set list of starting recs is dumb, it's much more on them as an individual than anything.
ManabanJan 29, 2019 6:03 PM

Jan 29, 2019 6:04 PM

Jul 2014
I'm not sure how you could force people to watch a show. I mean, unless you're planning on running some sort of tyrannical government in the near future.

Anyway, I say no. At best, I think some of the older shows should be strongly recommended. Although an "older show" is a bit of a subjective descriptor. Old shows, to me at least, are those that were released prior to 2010 or 2005. Not sure which.
Jan 29, 2019 6:08 PM

Aug 2009
The anime community is a lot like the rap community these days. So the way I see it, if the new/current generation of rappers can say "Fuck Tupac/2Pac" and still have relatively successful careers, then new anime fans don't have to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Jan 29, 2019 6:17 PM

May 2018
No you don’t need to watch old classics. Just watch whatever you want. It’s just a hobby. Watching old anime won’t make you a special snowflake.
Papa_ScorchJan 29, 2019 6:40 PM
Jan 29, 2019 6:19 PM

Dec 2016
Yes, it is a mandatory requirement that new anime fans watch the old classics if they want to be accepted as part of the anime community.
Jan 29, 2019 6:24 PM

May 2009
MahoMaho88 said:
Should newer anime fans be required to watch the old classics, or does it not matter anymore?
On what basis would someone be "required" to watch entertainment?

The only reason I can think of is if someone's actually seriously intent on studying the medium, like, as a film student or somesuch.

There's obviously some series that mattered a lot more than others in the development of anime as a medium, but this doesn't necessarily mean people should be forced to watch it.

Or else we should all have watched Astro Boy by now. :P
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 29, 2019 6:29 PM
Jun 2012
It makes no sense to make it be a "requirement". That just sounds dumb tbh. The only thing anime fans should really do (if they even need to do anything) is just realize anime was built up from past anime and that anime today is what it is because of anime in the past.
Jan 29, 2019 7:18 PM

Aug 2018
It's mandatory? NO. They should? YES.

Only a small amount of shows are considered great, if you only watch new stuff you probably are wasting a lot of time in boring shows. The best way to get hooked on anime imo is by watching the greatest shows that you can find (besides it's the best way to learn what a good anime can give you).

I think that a lot of shows can be relevant despite it's age (and a lot of people too), older shows can be better animated that shows airing today, so the thing about being outdated is a lie.

Not all old shows are good, but a lot of them are. Just by naming Akira or Ghibli you can see the potential of old shows and how some beautiful things made in "the old days" are still better than most new stuff.

Don't get me wrong tho, new shows can be great too but I think that the "old vs new" thing is stupid.
Jan 29, 2019 7:23 PM

Feb 2017
Meh, It's all an opinion to me. People like what they like, it differs from person to person. Everyone isn't going to like that same thing, so why force it?
Jan 29, 2019 8:11 PM

Jan 2018
I don't think anyone should be required to watch anything unless it personally piques their interest. That said, recommendations are always a good thing, especially if the individual doesn't know a series/movie exists, or is purely ignorant to the traits that make the classic show in question so special. But ultimately, their choice to watch it should be solely theirs alone.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 29, 2019 8:14 PM

Jul 2015
Definitely with @kobikoba here. Nothing is mandatory, tho the reasons why anyone would stick to watching mostly modern stuff, good or bad, when they could watch mostly good stuff, old or modern, are kinda obscure to me.

Oh and ofc if you're interested in pretty animation, you pretty much have to watch lots of old stuff. OVAs and movies = higher budget, and those were much more abundant in the 80s/90s. Movies that are better animated than stuff like Kimi no na wa, a movie praised for its animation by people who clearly never saw a good 80's or 90's anime movie.

And then there's the 3D thing. Best drawn animated dogfights will probably forever stay Area 88's, since the vast majority of studios just slap 3d models for that kind of stuff nowadays. If you're into 3D that is a decade behind the current gen consoles, I guess it can be interesting.

Deknijff said:
What I would rather require is that new fans be taught import terms like loli, traps, how Deres work with it being used correctly too unlike how most fans use them now and what is a genre or demographic along if its just a western term for convenience or a term that the Japanese par take in as well when classifying things in the community

Heh... Honestly I think anime fans know way too much about deres and lolis and not enough about actual animation, anime history, or anything that is actually relevant when it comes to talking about something else than best girl of the season.
DeathkoJan 29, 2019 8:26 PM
Jan 29, 2019 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
"Required"? Hahahaha, what is this bloody 1984?

No. Encouraged? I would say so, but only if they want to. Nobody should ever be shamed or underestimated for not watching classics, this goes for any artistic medium. They can watch whatever the hell they want. Does me not being able to get through Bram Stoker's Dracula not make me a fan of horror novels? Cuz I am, just hate how Dracula is written and refuse to get through it. Shouldn't make an opinion, or individual, less valid.
Jan 29, 2019 10:51 PM
Mar 2018
Required? Requirements never really mattered, so no, you can’t make someone watch the classics.
I would say let them enjoy it, even if it is just the popular stuff, if they are curious about some of the older more classic stuff, point them towards an “old head” whose been watching as far back as 80’s/90’s, they may be well experienced in trying to find something younger/newer people in the community might like, for example, if someone likes mech shows like Franxx (yes yes, horrible last few episodes) they might like EVA.

What I don’t like is some culture warrior types watching like 1 show then appear in the community trying to change things they don’t like, that’s where you get articles like anime fans support Nazis or some rubbish.
There are some series and things in the community I don’t like, but nothing is perfect, I actually do like the community
Jan 29, 2019 10:53 PM

Dec 2016
how are you gonna create requirements? say that people can't join mal unless they've watched pokemon or shit?

Monarch-Reli said:
"Required"? Hahahaha, what is this bloody 1984?

AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 29, 2019 10:53 PM
Nov 2017
I think they should be free to watch whatever they want....
Jan 29, 2019 11:10 PM

Apr 2018
Lol is this topic only purpose to sneak in a complain on why not enough people watch the things u like?
Anyway, as everyone has already pointed out, the idea of being required to watch something in an entertainment medium makes no sense

Deathko said:
Definitely with @kobikoba here. Nothing is mandatory, tho the reasons why anyone would stick to watching mostly modern stuff, good or bad, when they could watch mostly good stuff, old or modern, are kinda obscure to me.

First of all, how are u supposed to know something is good or bad if you haven't watched it? Unless ur implying that every old show is good so u can't go wrong with that I don't see how the year it's made in would raise your chance to watch something good.
And anyway about why people don't watch old stuffs there may be a tons of reason.
I'm personally both not into the sci-fi genre and old graphic so old anime don't look very appealing to me. That's why I rarely watch them.
(Note: old anime to me means pre 2002/2003)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
1 minute ago

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

110 by himegal »»
23 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
32 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.