Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kemono Friends 2 Episode 3 Discussion


#1
Jan 28, 2019 2:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4168
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dolpin & Sea Lion make a cute combo and i wonder who that was at the end.
 
#2
Jan 28, 2019 2:10 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 109
Favorite episode thus far for me. The duo is adorable and quite interesting. The mysteries are still very much around, and that person at the end surely set a great tone.
 
 
#3
Jan 28, 2019 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1295
I thought Bottlenose and Seal were just adorable. I’m wondering if the sea level went up, or if the land went down.
 
#4
Jan 28, 2019 3:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 4824
Meh. I guess outside of the Dora vibe, building an episode around water park behaviour feels wrong when you know for example dolphins have a their life expectancy cut in half in captivity because they can't roam hundreds of kilometres like they do in the wild. Water parks are basically cells for them. Seems like a poor exploit of the animal's trait.

Just waiting for the penguin episode at this point.
Modified by EratiK, Jan 29, 2019 12:11 AM
 
#5
Jan 28, 2019 3:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1295
EratiK said:
Meh. I guess outside of the Dora vibe, building an episode around water park behaviour feels wrong when you know for example dolphins have a their life expectancy cut in half in captivity because they can't roam hundreds of kilometres like they do in the wild. Water parcs are basically cells for them. Seems like a poor exploit of the animal's trait.

Just waiting for the penguin episode at this point.
This makes me hungry for a thick juicy steak.
 
#6
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 11
Much like the first season, each episode is better than the last. Loved it. Dolphin-chan is now my new favorite.
 
 
#7
Jan 28, 2019 7:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
EratiK said:
Meh. I guess outside of the Dora vibe, building an episode around water park behaviour feels wrong when you know for example dolphins have a their life expectancy cut in half in captivity because they can't roam hundreds of kilometres like they do in the wild. Water parcs are basically cells for them. Seems like a poor exploit of the animal's trait.

Just waiting for the penguin episode at this point.


This, I felt like they didn't feel like researching any natural traits from the animals, so they used the human taught behavior instead, but didn't know that such behavior has actually bad consequences for the poor dolphins.

The best episode so far, seems like there are fewer framerate jumps too.

This episode didn't have any story advancement outside of the 5 seconds from the "mysterious" voice at the end, and so far the this season formula is well established:

1- Reach a new place riding the Japaribus
2- *Kyururu checks her notebook* Yep, it's the next page minus 1 detail
3- Present two friends and play with something which will be story-irrelevant for most of the episode
4- Kyururu gifts the episode friends a sketch she obviously drew during the commercial break.
5- [Totally not Arai-Fenec] duo says two lines about chasing kyururu
6- A few seconds of the old friends at Alpacafe (the best part of the episode, because it contains an actual joke or two)

I feel like Serval as a character seems incredibly irrelevant now (ex: you could delete her from the whole episode and nobody would notice she wasn't there) compared to the first season. I'm not a big fan of Caracal, but she at least seems to have an opinion on what is happening around her.

It was still a kids-only show level in my opinion, but it was less meh than the first two episodes. The fandom got two new friends to create art and stories, and they seem to have a personality which isn't a copy of other friends, which is good.
 
#8
Jan 28, 2019 10:38 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 3
Is it only me or there's no Gentoo voice in the OP since eps 2?
 
#9
Jan 28, 2019 10:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 31
I'm missing S1's sense of mystery about the park itself, and the calls to zoos about the actual animals.
 
Jan 28, 2019 11:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 318
Azumi-tei said:
EratiK said:
Meh. I guess outside of the Dora vibe, building an episode around water park behaviour feels wrong when you know for example dolphins have a their life expectancy cut in half in captivity because they can't roam hundreds of kilometres like they do in the wild. Water parcs are basically cells for them. Seems like a poor exploit of the animal's trait.

Just waiting for the penguin episode at this point.


This, I felt like they didn't feel like researching any natural traits from the animals, so they used the human taught behavior instead, but didn't know that such behavior has actually bad consequences for the poor dolphins.
I thought that was the point. Dolphin and Sea Lion are so conditioned to expect food rewards that even other friends like Serval and Caracal find it unnatural. The seemingly obvious conclusion is that it comes from their past when they were performers in a marine animal show.

Not sure why the amphitheater is so deep under water. It looks too solid to have ever floated, and too deep to put it down to sea level rise.


Azumi-tei said:
I feel like Serval as a character seems incredibly irrelevant now (ex: you could delete her from the whole episode and nobody would notice she wasn't there) compared to the first season. I'm not a big fan of Caracal, but she at least seems to have an opinion on what is happening around her.

It was still a kids-only show level in my opinion, but it was less meh than the first two episodes. The fandom got two new friends to create art and stories, and they seem to have a personality which isn't a copy of other friends, which is good.
I'm inclined to agree that Kyururu+Serval+Caracal are a bit less effective than Kaban+Serval+LuckyBeast.
 
Jan 28, 2019 11:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
I forgot to add a detail that I found it hard to believe: that helmeth the dolphins handed Kyururu to travel underwater. It was a deus ex machina so that kyururu could directly check that the place in her drawing was correct but sunk.

However, both dolphins could breathe underwater, they didn't have a need for the helmet, and I don't think friends use technology normally, so, how did they know that something they have never used was the equipment that kyururu needed to breathe underwater?

Even then, kyururu goes in fully clothed, even with the shoes on, and doesn't need to swim while we do see the dolphins swim. And the hardest part of that equipment would be going back up with what looks like a heavy helmeth. It was as if the story writer was like "just draw the kemofure の in the back, they'll believe it moves because of magic or idk".

It's just a detail, but I would prefer if everything stayed natural and believable within the rules of the story.
 
Jan 29, 2019 12:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 318
Azumi-tei said:
I forgot to add a detail that I found it hard to believe: that helmeth the dolphins handed Kyururu to travel underwater. It was a deus ex machina so that kyururu could directly check that the place in her drawing was correct but sunk.

However, both dolphins could breathe underwater, they didn't have a need for the helmet, and I don't think friends use technology normally, so, how did they know that something they have never used was the equipment that kyururu needed to breathe underwater?

Even then, kyururu goes in fully clothed, even with the shoes on, and doesn't need to swim while we do see the dolphins swim. And the hardest part of that equipment would be going back up with what looks like a heavy helmeth. It was as if the story writer was like "just draw the kemofure の in the back, they'll believe it moves because of magic or idk".

It's just a detail, but I would prefer if everything stayed natural and believable within the rules of the story.
Eh... It's a tourist attraction, there will be diving equipment lying around, and Kyururu will figure out what it is and how to use it. That said, I was worried she'd make a mistake or run out of air, and it probably shouldn't be in working condition after so long without maintenance. Based on what I saw in Grand Blue, safe responsible diving procedures are... complicated.
 
 
Jan 29, 2019 12:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
Takata said:
Eh... It's a tourist attraction, there will be diving equipment lying around, and Kyururu will figure out what it is and how to use it. That said, I was worried she'd make a mistake or run out of air, and it probably shouldn't be in working condition after so long without maintenance. Based on what I saw in Grand Blue, safe responsible diving procedures are... complicated.


No, I understand Kyururu might know how to use it, the strange part us we have seen friends not understanding human technology before (in season 1 and 2, chapter 1, serval doesn't know how to open things, they don't know how do the japarybus/train works, etc), but then the dolphins know that this animal they don't know needs a equipment they have never used. It's just that detail.
 
Jan 29, 2019 5:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
Azumi-tei said:

However, both dolphins could breathe underwater

Actually they can't. Depending on species they are able to hold their breath for 5 to 20 minutes, but they must come to the surface of the water and inhale oxygen through they blowhole or they will drown.

That is why fishing nets are deadly for dolphins.
 
Jan 29, 2019 8:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 976
This episode was less less bad compaired to the previous ones. That's the only thing I want to spill for now.
I still have way too mixed feelings for this season of Kemono Friends.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
 
 
Jan 29, 2019 12:02 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 2384
I was actually expecting something interesting, because dolphins tend to rape humans, but nah...
 
Jan 29, 2019 3:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 109
Azumi-tei said:
I forgot to add a detail that I found it hard to believe: that helmeth the dolphins handed Kyururu to travel underwater. It was a deus ex machina so that kyururu could directly check that the place in her drawing was correct but sunk.

However, both dolphins could breathe underwater, they didn't have a need for the helmet, and I don't think friends use technology normally, so, how did they know that something they have never used was the equipment that kyururu needed to breathe underwater?

Even then, kyururu goes in fully clothed, even with the shoes on, and doesn't need to swim while we do see the dolphins swim. And the hardest part of that equipment would be going back up with what looks like a heavy helmeth. It was as if the story writer was like "just draw the kemofure の in the back, they'll believe it moves because of magic or idk".

It's just a detail, but I would prefer if everything stayed natural and believable within the rules of the story.


Why are you surprised two marine friends can remain underwater for extended periods after seeing a Serval friend jump tens of meters into the air carrying a bus front, a Chameleon friend going invisible and all other superhuman feats achieved throught both seasons? All of which, by the way, are actually surprisingly weak compared to some of the top friends, too.
 
Jan 29, 2019 5:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
SoldusJK said:

Why are you surprised two marine friends can remain underwater for extended periods...


No, marine friends behing fine underwater is normal. My point is about the diving gear Kyururu used: The marine friends didn't need it, and to friends technology or human tools is meaningless. So I feel that the dolphins being like "Hey, here is this key piece of gear we have kept safe for years just for the moment we met you" is poor storytelling. A more natural way to show Kyururu the missing place, as they did with the glass on the ship floor, would have been better, in my opinion.

Plus even if it was a diving device the scene was a bit visually awkward: while the dolphins moved their arms, tail and body swimming naturally, kyururu's model just stayed there, somehow diving around without kyururu moving her body. She wasn't even wet after diving...
Modified by Azumi-tei, Jan 29, 2019 5:18 PM
 
Jan 29, 2019 8:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 6434
That dolphin and that sea lion sure were handful with those rewards they constantly asked, but they were cute nonetheless.

Those playthings will sure keep them entertained for longer. I wished they showed the whale though.
¡Ay, caramba! --- Bart Simpson

 
Jan 29, 2019 9:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 109
lihle808 said:
That dolphin and that sea lion sure were handful with those rewards they constantly asked, but they were cute nonetheless.

Those playthings will sure keep them entertained for longer. I wished they showed the whale though.


The director actually posted a picture of the whale soon after the episode's release, surprisingly!

https://twitter.com/Ryuichi_Kimura/status/1090276240135577600
 
Jan 29, 2019 11:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 318
Azumi-tei said:
Takata said:
Eh... It's a tourist attraction, there will be diving equipment lying around, and Kyururu will figure out what it is and how to use it. That said, I was worried she'd make a mistake or run out of air, and it probably shouldn't be in working condition after so long without maintenance. Based on what I saw in Grand Blue, safe responsible diving procedures are... complicated.


No, I understand Kyururu might know how to use it, the strange part us we have seen friends not understanding human technology before (in season 1 and 2, chapter 1, serval doesn't know how to open things, they don't know how do the japarybus/train works, etc), but then the dolphins know that this animal they don't know needs a equipment they have never used. It's just that detail.
Well.. it was Serval that happened to find it lying around and say "what's this?" to Kyururu.


SoldusJK said:
lihle808 said:
That dolphin and that sea lion sure were handful with those rewards they constantly asked, but they were cute nonetheless.

Those playthings will sure keep them entertained for longer. I wished they showed the whale though.


The director actually posted a picture of the whale soon after the episode's release, surprisingly!

https://twitter.com/Ryuichi_Kimura/status/1090276240135577600
Orca looks odd with her dorsal fin on her head instead of her back. ...But I guess Dolphin has her fins on her head too, and Duck has her wings on her head.
 
Jan 30, 2019 1:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 10537
I was overjoyed on this episode because of Kino Hina voices Bottlenose Dolphin!
I really miss Asobi Asobase because of mainly her...the VA Kino Hina!
5/5.


 
Jan 30, 2019 2:34 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 2775
Dolphin is probably the cutest friend so far.
 
 
Feb 2, 2019 2:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2616
Dolphin and Sea Lion are obviously performers in a marine park before they became Kemono Friends.. asking for reward each time they do something. xD

Nice episode, I'm enjoying this now.
 
Feb 2, 2019 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 18518
How Dolphin and Sea Lion asked for a reward was indeed nice.

Caracal is water-shy and Serval was too cocky.

Since the stage is underwater now, a lot of time seems to have passed after all.

I'm curious about the figure at the end. I didn't expect the armadillos to work for someone.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
 
Feb 4, 2019 9:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1295
Piromysl said:
I was actually expecting something interesting, because dolphins tend to rape humans, but nah...
Only in the fevered mind of some pervert who reads too much hentai.
 
Feb 11, 2019 11:04 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 751
Somethings telling me that silhoutte at the end might be Arai-san
 
Feb 18, 2019 12:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 306
Cute character designs, I'll give them that.
But horrible episode. The dialogue is getting painfully hard to watch.

Is it just me or the character outlines seem sharper this episode? Like they boosted the resolution or something.
 
Apr 8, 2019 9:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 179
The sea lion babe is really hot 😍