Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 28, 2019 6:35 AM

Aug 2018
I suppose i should elaborate; more shows that have a game like feel to them. That means a power system of sorts. The MC doesn't have to be strong from the start but he has to have the ability to improve. Knowledge does not count. I love the genre but most that have been made into anime are trash. (so anything below an 8 on my list that's an isekai is trash, yeh 7 is trash as its an isekai, i am super biased and overate them. For them to lose 3 points and not be a 10 is not easy. 9+ to be good.)

So there is -

-Log Horizon (this is the GOLD standard to which i measure isekais/games to)
-Sword Art Online (season 1 first half ONLY)
-Slime
-Tate No Yuusha
-Dungeon Ni (Technically not an isekai but it feels more like a game world than most)
-Kono suba (pure comedy gold)
-No Game No Life
-Overlord
-***Quanzhi Gaoshou (Exception, about a game, gives me similar feels to Log Horizon)

There are other good isekais but they do not feel like a game -

-Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica
-Youjo Senki

So in total there are 8 that have the otherworld game feel to them. And 9 good isekais.
9. only 9. Everything else is meh and there's a lot of them.

(i have maybe a couple to still watch that i have hope for and a couple that are not yet out but still the chances of all 4 being good are..)

every week i wait for slime to come out on mondays and more recently tate on wednesdays. i need more than 30 mins weekly
Jan 28, 2019 6:47 AM
Jan 2018
Overlord & SAO first half S1 aren't actually good but okay.
I've heard good things about "Now and Then, Here and There", "The Vision of Escaflowne", "The Twelve Kingdoms" and "Magic Knight Rayearth".
TodAboTJan 28, 2019 7:16 AM
Jan 28, 2019 6:50 AM

Sep 2018
If we are not talking about the worlds with game setting then I think Now and then, here and there is up there and i s what you are looking for.
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Jan 28, 2019 6:55 AM

Jan 2019
A lot of people disagree with each other, i don't see the point in discussing this thread.

You could add Knights & Magic, its kind of like Youjou Senki, as in that its a rebirth/reincarnation into another World with kept memories.
Jan 28, 2019 6:55 AM

Oct 2014
Why do they have to be video game-like? They're just gimmick fantasy stories, as much as i hate SAO (which the new Alicization is an Isekai video game) at least there is a dynamic between worlds, same with Greed Island in HxH.

90% of Isekai only hold the original worlds relevance for about the first 5 minutes of the series then it's completely inconsequential to the plot or story, the MC could be replaced with any fish out of water character from that new world anyways. Any "Isekai" that follows this trend isn't a real Isekai to me. I'm not saying that as an all encompassing statement, for example, Log Horizon has strong characterization and their real world selves hold great relevance to the game thus making the real world not seem as insignificant.

Point is, you think too highly of the sub-genre.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 28, 2019 6:59 AM

Feb 2015
Just watch Vision of Escaflowne already
Jan 28, 2019 7:08 AM

Dec 2015
Watch "Now and then, Here and there"
Jan 28, 2019 7:13 AM

Aug 2018
Lunilah said:
Why do they have to be video game-like?

I was addicted to wow for a few years then it got shit. there's a big hole in my entertainment as a result that shows like log horizon scratches that itch.
Lunilah said:

90% of Isekai only hold the original worlds relevance for about the first 5 minutes of the series then it's completely inconsequential to the plot or story, the MC could be replaced with any fish out of water character from that new world anyways.

yes i agree, BUT the way of thinking should be different. for example if i get dropped into a medieval world i will think the class system and slavery (just examples there are 100s of things that i could mention) is bs, but someone living there already would not have the same modern views. then there's also magic. ie a world where it exists BUT the mc is normal like us. there's something that appeals to many of a modern human entering these worlds as a lot of us look down on the people of the past as idiots who were scared of witches LUL
Lunilah said:

Point is, you think too highly of the sub-genre.

i agree :(
Jan 28, 2019 7:20 AM

Aug 2017
We need Isekai as Inuyasha. This is what I recall to be a good isekai.
Jan 28, 2019 7:22 AM

Oct 2014
DUDZ_DNA said:
Lunilah said:

90% of Isekai only hold the original worlds relevance for about the first 5 minutes of the series then it's completely inconsequential to the plot or story, the MC could be replaced with any fish out of water character from that new world anyways.

yes i agree, BUT the way of thinking should be different. for example if i get dropped into a medieval world i will think the class system and slavery (just examples there are 100s of things that i could mention) is bs, but someone living there already would not have the same modern views. then there's also magic. ie a world where it exists BUT the mc is normal like us. there's something that appeals to many of a modern human entering these worlds as a lot of us look down on the people of the past as idiots who were scared of witches LUL
That's precisely why it's a gimmick. It's not a reach in the slightest to assume there are people in these new worlds that are extremely opposed to the way things are, you don't need modern views for that since that's how we have the modern world. The magic doesn't mean anything either since it's just given to said person, it can be just given to said person that already exists in the new world and have the same fish out of water story. The main characters in these stories are COMPLETELY interchangeable with characters that already exist in the new world. That appeal you speak of is the gimmick. There are a lot of fantasy stories that already exist where a character opposes the way things are, it's not a new thing.

One thing i like about Shield hero, despite being ridiculously generic and unoriginal, is it has great characterization for the main character, at least so far. An already existing in-world character could have that same level of characterization, but it's good to have it at all.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jan 28, 2019 7:25 AM

Aug 2015
I'd say we need at least one good isekai
Jan 28, 2019 7:30 AM

May 2016
If we're talking about isekai as in "stores in which the protagonist finds themselves in an unfamiliar world," then we've got:

Now and Then Here and There, Vision of Escaflowne, Juuni Kokuki, Haibane Renmei, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Angel Beats!, Kekkai Sensen (kinda sorta, it counts!), Death Parade, and Made in Abyss (again, kinda sorta).

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 28, 2019 7:31 AM
Sep 2017
I don't really understand about isekai stuff.
Why don't the story maker just make a fantasy story? I think it will be better that way

UrbanSpaceman said:
I'd say we need at least one good isekai

We already have one. Overlord for me.
Jan 28, 2019 7:41 AM

Apr 2018
What ur talking about aren't isekai but rpg fantasy. A lot of isekai happen to be rpg fantasy but they are 2 different genres
I personally really like both genres and yes, I agree on the fact the it'd be nice to see more rpg fantasy where u start low level and u gotta level to the top rather than being op from the begging.
Although, I actually like quite the number of isekai that already came out and I find pretty unfair to say that most of them are trash.
But I guess ur just jumping on the hate wagon because u feel that gives more value to your opinion or shit like that so whatever
Jan 28, 2019 7:42 AM

Feb 2012
I'm pretty sure Rayearth was supposed to have a game like feel to it. In the past that is. It even has a JRPG. However what that "game feel" is has probably changed. The only MMO story I got invested in is hack GU, but that's not really an anime.
Jan 28, 2019 7:51 AM

Feb 2018
The only isekai anime I like is konosuba, but only because of the comedy, not because of the isekai setting.
The overlord light novel is pretty good, but the adaptation sucks.
Jan 28, 2019 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
Why? There are plenty of good Isekais. Just because there are a few bad ones doesn't mean the entire genre is in turmoil despite all the people crying about all the Isekai (I don't think there's even as much as people make out). Also, Isekai means other world, not necessarily a game setting.
Jan 28, 2019 8:04 AM

Oct 2017
And when were Isekai anime bad? As long as they sell, they're good no matter what.
Jan 28, 2019 8:13 AM

Aug 2015
You know, I’ve been thinking these days. Ever thought of reverse isekai? Cause I’m pretty sure that’s what Hataraku Maou-sama is. Granted, I know you don’t care about watching something in the human realm but it could be a change in perspective.
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Jan 28, 2019 8:48 AM

Jan 2019
I'll throw in another endorsement for "Now and Then, Here and There." It's dark, and a bit old but if you can stomach that it's well worth the watch, especially considering the screenwriter is the same one for Made in Abyss.
KatsutoSaki said:
And when were Isekai anime bad? As long as they sell, they're good no matter what.

Er...no. Plenty of top-selling products are of questionable quality. It's fine to enjoy something for what it is, but by the logic you provide Fifty Shades of Gray is "good no matter what," despite being...well, Fifty Shades.
Hana_Poko said:
You know, I’ve been thinking these days. Ever thought of reverse isekai? Cause I’m pretty sure that’s what Hataraku Maou-sama is. Granted, I know you don’t care about watching something in the human realm but it could be a change in perspective.

Hmm, what about Elf-san wa Yaserarenai? The premise is basically girls from another world - elves, ogres, etc. - and adjusting to the human world, some better than others.

Can't say I know many other titles of that particular niche that don't outright veer into "Monster Girl" territory, though (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's still it's own thing, I guess), so you may be on to something.
Jan 28, 2019 10:00 AM
Aug 2017
Agreed. They really can experiment more with the genre, but there's still mostly the same thing every season with a few different aspects
Jan 28, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2013
puts SAO on list despite not being an isekai lol thats great
Jan 28, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2010
I hate it when people say 'we' and then just talk about what they personally want.

This seems to be a rec thread and not a discussion. If it was a discussion, OP would just be wrong because their definition is not what isekai actually means.

If you like stuff that feels like a game, I recommend Game adaptions, not isekai. Merc Storia, Tower of Druaga etc...

Or just give something like Guruguru a try.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 28, 2019 1:04 PM

Dec 2017
From the perspective of someone who doesn't think there are many good isekai, the biggest problem with Isekai isn't that the worlds of isekai are lazy, it's the point of almost all of them. Most isekai have this idea that the characters are actually perfect but were just born in the wrong world so it's about taking the characters to a world where their abilities are most needed and then give them abilities that make them even more suitable for their perfect world. There are 3 isekai that get around this, a spoilery one that completely rejects this principle, Konosuba which goes out of it's way to show how horrible the protagonists are (judging by what I've heard of the later novels it rerails itself as a generic isekai later so more seasons might not be as good in this department), and No Game No Life where the games are fun, interesting, and unpredictable enough to make up for the rest of it. This is just my opinion tho so take that as you will

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Jan 28, 2019 1:30 PM

Apr 2018
We need more isekai like KonoSuba, that should be the standard. I personally felt like Log Horizon was extremely boring. It lacked any meaningful conflict and was bogged down by infodumping. Then again, I like Re:Creators, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.
Jan 28, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2018
1 - Isekai aren't supoused to feel like games, it's like saying that all shounen shows are about supernatural battles.

2 - You only watched new shows, you should check some of the recommendations they are giving to you, they are good imo.

3 - I would like to add Inuyasha and Re Zero as great Isekai shows too.

4 - We need more good shows of every genre, I don't get your point.

Pitunov said:
Most isekai has the same plot at the first episode. They got killed then got reincarnated to another world or they got warped in the world of games. If they can be more creative on how the main protagonist got into another world at least for example like tate no yuusha, re:zero, and inuyasha, have interesting plot, world building, and characters, maybe there will be a lot of great isekai. But sadly most of them still using the same method on how the main protagonist got into another world which makes them got quite predictable. Me myself didn't hate isekai though, i just want it to be more unpredictable

You should read the recommendations too, you don't know what Isekai is.
DaCraziGuyJan 28, 2019 1:43 PM
Jan 28, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2019
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
We need more isekai like KonoSuba, that should be the standard. I personally felt like Log Horizon was extremely boring. It lacked any meaningful conflict and was bogged down by infodumping. Then again, I like Re:Creators, so I guess I'm a hypocrite.

I think the main issue is that most Isekai lack an actual Story line, most of them main characters end up in the world and they have absolutely no goal whatsoever, so they end up either having the goal "save the world" or are just there and don't know what the hell to do , or have the goal to get out, essentially these goals are no goals and therefore there is no plot, or the main goal is so far off in the future that it feels like a Slice of Life Fantasy Game-esque Anime, this is why i agree/believe for example that Log Horizon felt boring, it lacked anything with meaning and conclusivity, Konosuba on the other hand builds on Comedy as Strength which is why there is no need for an amazingly well written Story.
Regarding Re:Creators i dropped it in 1 episode, it was so horrible for some reason, but i can't really judge it overall because ive not seen it, what exactly made you like it?
Jan 28, 2019 1:49 PM
May 2009
Regarding Isekai there is a fair amount of titles; my endorsement would look like this - brackets () for endorsed titles under a few conditions:

Read or watch:
Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
(Hataraku Maou-sama!)
Inuyasha
Juuni Kokuki
Log Horizon
(No Game No Life)
(Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari)
(Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken)

Watch:
Digimon Adventure
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Jan 28, 2019 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
How about you actually watch the ones from the 80s/90s/00s?
You know like Escaflowne, Maze, 12 Kingdoms, Aura Battler Dunbine, NG Knight Lamune, Now and Then, Here and There, Digimon Adventure or Inuyasha.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 28, 2019 3:17 PM

Apr 2018
Daphi said:
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:

I think the main issue is that most Isekai lack an actual Story line, most of them main characters end up in the world and they have absolutely no goal whatsoever, so they end up either having the goal "save the world" or are just there and don't know what the hell to do , or have the goal to get out, essentially these goals are no goals and therefore there is no plot, or the main goal is so far off in the future that it feels like a Slice of Life Fantasy Game-esque Anime, this is why i agree/believe for example that Log Horizon felt boring, it lacked anything with meaning and conclusivity, Konosuba on the other hand builds on Comedy as Strength which is why there is no need for an amazingly well written Story.
Regarding Re:Creators i dropped it in 1 episode, it was so horrible for some reason, but i can't really judge it overall because ive not seen it, what exactly made you like it?

It actually isn't that bad. I mean, I guess what I should say is that it isn't for everyone. If you like a fast-paced show, or a ton of action, you probably won't like it. There's a ton of infodumping, which is why I mentioned that I was a hypocrite. If you can get past that, the overall story, character designs/personalities, and OST are fantastic. Again, it isn't for everyone, so if you dropped it early, it may just not be to your taste.
Jan 28, 2019 3:37 PM

Jan 2019
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
Daphi said:

It actually isn't that bad. I mean, I guess what I should say is that it isn't for everyone. If you like a fast-paced show, or a ton of action, you probably won't like it. There's a ton of infodumping, which is why I mentioned that I was a hypocrite. If you can get past that, the overall story, character designs/personalities, and OST are fantastic. Again, it isn't for everyone, so if you dropped it early, it may just not be to your taste.

I can agree with the statement "it isn't for everyone", but i will not agree with the rest that you said, i've not dropped it, i read the Manga and will watch the Show explicitly because i like the Setting and i like Naofumi, Naofumi and his sidekicks(firo and raph) are certainly great characters, the problem is the rest of the characters are utter trash(apart from the blacksmith, the queen and the slave trader, and later on in the manga the new characters from chapter 50+)
Im mainly pissed off by 2 things.

1. Story is Generic (Heroes save the World through Tower Defense ( Monsters in Waves))

2. The three Heroes have the IQ of a 5 year old with mental disabilities

I mean everything else is decent, Animation is brilliant, OST is decent i guess from what i've heard so far, Art is great, but it just feels generic because of that.
I could keep arguing by pitting and comparing it to other Isekai Anime that did certain things better in regards to the Story and how each Episode should feel, but that would be counterproductive, i might change my mind, because as you said the pacing might affect the aftertaste of the Anime, it might turn out to have a completely different aftertaste once all episodes are released.
So Personally i liked it, but they just wasted huge huge amounts of potential with the other 3 heroes. For example the Author could ve written a cunning antagonistic typ-ish hero.. maybe just less idiots. instead we got three morons that have the mental capacity of a dead gravestone, if they were to fight the first pokemon battle after receiving their pokemon gary would smash their faces 1v3.
I mean come on, please admit these three are written shitty.

Jan 28, 2019 4:04 PM

May 2014
Yeah, i'm all for more isekai anime that aren't escapism for teenage boys. Digimon Adventure is one of my favourite isekai series, because the world is just so interesting.
Jan 28, 2019 5:21 PM

Apr 2018
Daphi said:
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:

I can agree with the statement "it isn't for everyone", but i will not agree with the rest that you said, i've not dropped it, i read the Manga and will watch the Show explicitly because i like the Setting and i like Naofumi, Naofumi and his sidekicks(firo and raph) are certainly great characters, the problem is the rest of the characters are utter trash(apart from the blacksmith, the queen and the slave trader, and later on in the manga the new characters from chapter 50+)

1. Story is Generic (Heroes save the World through Tower Defense ( Monsters in Waves))

I mean everything else is decent, Animation is brilliant, OST is decent i guess from what i've heard so far, Art is great, but it just feels generic because of that.
I could keep arguing by pitting and comparing it to other Isekai Anime that did certain things better in regards to the Story and how each Episode should feel, but that would be counterproductive, i might change my mind, because as you said the pacing might affect the aftertaste of the Anime, it might turn out to have a completely different aftertaste once all episodes are released.
So Personally i liked it, but they just wasted huge huge amounts of potential with the other 3 heroes. For example the Author could ve written a cunning antagonistic typ-ish hero.. maybe just less idiots. instead we got three morons that have the mental capacity of a dead gravestone, if they were to fight the first pokemon battle after receiving their pokemon gary would smash their faces 1v3.

I think we're talking about different shows. I was talking about Re:Creators. You seem to be talking about Rising of the Shield Hero, which I haven't mentioned or seen.
Jan 28, 2019 5:24 PM

Jan 2019
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
Daphi said:

I think we're talking about different shows. I was talking about Re:Creators. You seem to be talking about Rising of the Shield Hero, which I haven't mentioned or seen.

Now i was the moron, my bad. Wow. I even asked you about it but i was discussing it earlier with multiple people so i completely forgot that i asked you xD, thanks for the Info, i will take another look at it.
Jan 28, 2019 6:06 PM

May 2013
Good and Isekai in the same sentence? hmm~
Jan 28, 2019 6:53 PM

Nov 2014
Vonice said:
Good and Isekai in the same sentence? hmm~

Good series and Isekai, Pick one ~

Well, since it's a genre, can't can't really rate a category, but you can rate what's inside, what shows are classified as Isekai.
I despise most of the isekai since as previously said, the interaction with the "new world" are just anecdotal and the world building is lacking, really... I cannot put on the same level spirited away and shied hero or SAO. One is an intriguing new world while I feel the other are just here to appeal to a certain audience, to be in the trend.
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM

Aug 2017
Wait, Re:zero is a good isekai.....
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 31, 2021 9:54 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I agree OP, we DO need more GOOD isekai.
Wouldn't mind seeing something obscure but interesting like Isekai no Honya-san e Youkoso! getting adapted outta nowhere.

Lunilah said:
Why do they have to be video game-like? They're just gimmick fantasy stories, as much as i hate SAO (which the new Alicization is an Isekai video game) at least there is a dynamic between worlds, same with Greed Island in HxH.
DaCraziGuy said:
1 - Isekai aren't supoused to feel like games, it's like saying that all shounen shows are about supernatural battles.
Yeah... not only am I getting tired of isekai, but I'm also getting tired of constantly hearing about random game stats randomly popping up.
May 31, 2021 9:57 PM

Aug 2013
Just wait until they adapt that isekai about a guy who reincarnated as a vending machine (or wa it a fridge or a washing machine, idk)
That will change EVERYTHING
Jun 4, 2021 4:52 PM

May 2009
mecharobot said:
I'm pretty sure Rayearth was supposed to have a game like feel to it. In the past that is. It even has a JRPG. However what that "game feel" is has probably changed. The only MMO story I got invested in is hack GU, but that's not really an anime.
Main character Fuu Hououji literally comments that it feels like an RPG. The writer(s) were aware of this.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 4, 2021 4:55 PM

Aug 2018
If modern isekais were less about pandering to bitter incels with delusions of grandeur and more about writing good stories then they'd be AWESOME.
Jun 4, 2021 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
Less Tensei
Less Western medieval settings
Less Videogame mechanics/logic
Jun 6, 2021 11:19 AM

Jul 2020
I Don't mind Watching A show Like Rezero
Jun 6, 2021 11:25 AM

Sep 2014
We just need more good anime overall.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 6, 2021 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
i would suggest reading some manga, LNs, or even WNs if u want, there's a lot of really great stuff that just don't have an anime adaptation
Jun 6, 2021 11:33 AM

Jun 2017
E X A C T L Y.
The genre can seem oversaturated, but writers have just barely scratched the surface of the potential of this format. I'd personally prefer more books with the skill-thing, but I'll take an original anime anytime.
There are many aspects of isekai shows that don't get any attention, but writers aren't interested in the least.
I tried looking for something like a western equivalent of something like Grimgar, Solo Leveling or the first chapters of The Tutorial is Too Hard --- The ones that do it best, but wound up finding nothing. I prefer eastern stuff, but I've already read most of what they have to offer, so I'd be willing to resort western books.
On this note, anyone that knows books/manga/anything that is similar to this, please, show me the way. I'm dying for some good books to stave off my boredom.
Jun 9, 2021 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
That's the kind of inspired as whole are common these days. Repetitive in general.

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

122 by BigBoyAdvance »»
7 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 2 hours ago

10 by BigBoyAdvance »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

41 by Nyarly-Kanamin »»
9 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

35 by deg »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.