Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2019 5:08 AM

Jan 2016
ーWhy the Akane X Rikka Ship Isn’t Actually A Thing (SSSS.Gridman): An Essay―

The Akane X Rikka pairing from SSSS.Gridman pairing has been circulating the web recently, bolstered by anituber personalities like The Pedantic Romantic & Under the Scope.

A pairing that is not only being pushed as a canonical ship, but a coupling that is unwoven by the series own logic. I feel that those who have watched this series ALL THE WAY THROUGH & still see Akane & Rikka as lesbians weren’t paying attention to the story.

Believe me! I have no issue with LGBT couples in anime, in fact, I seek them out because I’m a female who’s not straight! A big argument that Pedantic made in his video was that straight men wanted to keep Rikka straight because they had a sexualized possessiveness of her.

1. I could care less if someone, pretty or not, is gay in an anime, 2. Akane was my best girl, 3. If straight men actually think that, then why do so many of them want the female characters that they like to be gay, rather than be with another dude?

My next argument is—do not read ahead if you don’t want spoilers—that the Gridman world is Akane’s creation, right? She created all of the people within the realms of the world.

She created all of the people within the realms of the world. Akane states in episode 10 that Rikka can’t defy her and that she, essentially, is FORCED to love her (therefore, if Akane & Rikka did “get it on,” it would be rape).

And throughout the entire series, the only character that is able to battle Akane’s twisted idealistic reality is Yuta; he’s a singularity in the Gridman world because he lost his memories, therefore he is no longer under Akane’s thumb.

Pedantic states that Rikka & the others have agency within the world, but the only think that the series is able to prove is that they are able to figure out what’s going on, thanks to Yuta’s existence—but, there is no proof that the others are able to resist her influence.

Every character cheers Yuta on, but they all still love Akane. There’s a reason that Yuta is the only one able to defeat Akane’s kaiju creations. Rikka & Akane both show interest in Yuta throughout the series.

There’s a reason that Yuta is the only one able to defeat Akane’s kaiju creations. Rikka & Akane both show interest in Yuta throughout the series, Rikka longingly stares at him & Akane tries to seduce him, because he’s not a construct of her fantasy world.

The close relationship between Akane & Rikka is exemplifying that there are, in fact, mirror images of each other—evidenced by Akane waking up in the real world at the end; and her real body looks exactly like Rikka’s.

The symbology of this moment is lost on shippers; in the Gridman world, Rikka is shown to be kind & have a group of friends at school—Akane is adored by everyone, despite her disdain for humanity & desire for isolation & a solitary otaku life.

The duality between Rikka & Akane shows that Rikka is the part of Akane that is sociable & puts on a kind face for others, while THE REAL HER, the Akane in Gridman is the part of herself that she keeps locked away; afraid that people won’t accept the truth of who she actually is.

In the delirious fantasy of Akane in episode 10, she imagines a world where her & Rikka have the same mother and she’s dating Yuta. Why is it that these girls have so much in common? Coincidence?

Episode 10 is a very important episode because it’s meant to show the falsity in the world of Gridman; it’s a metaphor for her tendacy towards the open arms of escapism & loneliness. Who else would create characters in a fantasy world that unconditionally HAVE to care about her?

If someone isn’t able to grasp the paroxysm of irony with shipping the two, then it’s defeating the purpose of the show. Since the whole world is a dream of Akane’s—Yuta, himself, might have been the illusory wish of hers; to be saved.

I would even go out on a limb & say that the Akane X Rikka pairing detracts from the complexity of Akane’s character—the whole series represents a self-depreciating exploration of herself; realizing that she doesn’t have to fit society’s model of a what a woman should be.

In my opinion, the clues in the series seem to hint that the entire series was about escapism and having to wake up; as well as self-actualization. Every dream or fantasy eventually coming to an end.

If anyone can legitimize the Akane X Rikka pairing in a way that doesn’t contradict the logic of the series, feel free to debate me!

This essay is a reply & opinion piece based on
@PedanticRomantc‘s video “You Don't Get Gridman If You Don't Think It's Gay.” ( •⌄• )ノ
#GRIDMAN
EggheadLunaJan 30, 2019 8:56 AM
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2019 3:38 PM

Oct 2010
Uhm, not really a fan of the video which I believe is kind of overconfident at constructing the arguments. I find this a valid reading, but it doesn't really invalidate the other readings. It's clear to me that Rikka and Akane are queer-coded, particularly the former (if you ask me, both seem to be bi). However to use that as definitive evidence that the pairing is canon is iffy to me. Particularly because leaving such an important plot point (Rikka being Akane's crush, which would kind of put her at the core of the entire motivation of Akane as a villain/goddess of this world) as subtextual "they could be just very close friends" coded narrative is at the very least questionable from storytelling standards.

Making arguments over a speculation that the fanbase is forced to build because the show is afraid to be chrystal clear about it is hard, I know, but throwing random hints all over with a slight tone of confirmation bias and kind of shady standards (the analysis on Rika's and Akane's relationship and dynamics with Yuta) doesn't really do any favor to this show's narrative and its interpretation, even if this is actually what it wants to transmit. It's basically saying that there's a collection of single, random and isolated little coded moments watered down by the overall ambiguous stance of the show that we should accept as the canon. I personally think that while hints are cool, they can't replace the issue when a series doesn't dare or doesn't care about being upfront about something, and particularly something that sounds as plot relevant as who is Akane's true significant other.

On the other hand, I find the idea that Akane is Rikka's mirror self really interesting. But I have some issues with the arguments. For starters, I think it's a very poor basis for the entire construction of this narrative interpretation to assume that Akane's real life version proves that she and Rikka are the same just because the girl looks like Rikka. Live action Akane is a normal-looking Japanese high school girl and I think it's splitting hairs because this only proves that Rikka looks more like a real girl than Akane, who is more heavily stylized. If we take the idea that Akane is the anime avatar of real life Akane, then Rikka being more realistic looking doesn't hold any value, she just is.

To say that Rikka is "forced" to love Akane is also not a really good way to put it. What PR says I think is that Rikka exists as someone who loves Akane, as created by Akane. She is conditioned to do that, because she doesn't exist as a character or as an individual beyond Akane's emotional needs. Akane created Rikka, and she created her mind and emotions. Rikka is not put against her will, her will is programmed to fit that scenario. If anything, Gridman is about a character using her powers to her own wish-fulfillment, building a world where everything responds to her emotional needs, in the larger scale; in the more narrow scale, it is simply not true. Rikka never feels raped or coerced. It is her will, the one that Akane created for her. To compare this show with rape is a bit tasteless, since its aim and stance are rather metaphysical, being aware that there is something that programmed your entire existence, feelings and values. Rikka never fights against that, maybe because she was programmed to be that way too. Her emotions are genuine to her.
jal90Jan 27, 2019 4:41 PM
Jan 27, 2019 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
@jal90 This is the Pedantic Romantic, just ignore it. All his activity is to watch an all-female or anime with an important female MC, to further declare that this anime is full of qeer coding, and the characters are lesbians. To such a level of too literally taking metaphors, pulls scenes out of context, ignores the context and message of work altogether, all this is not important if it makes it difficult to declare that the characters are lesbians.

This is a rather strange party consisting of yuri-obsessed trans lesbians who are more obsessed with their ships than any shonen's yaoi fangirl. Personally, for me was enough 2-3 of their videos to no longer come close to them even a kilometer away.

@LunaPrecure Thank you so much for this post. I no longer thought that someone from the qeer community would be able to drop their ships and speak out against such attempts to declare all the characters to be gay and lesbian just because they were close.
RobertBobertJan 27, 2019 5:13 PM
Jan 27, 2019 4:52 PM

Oct 2010
@RobertBobert Thanks for the advice but I'm not ignoring PR, I don't have a problem with her having an opinion and an interpretation of the show's narrative, one that I actually quite agree with on the overall conclusion, or I see at the very least as perfectly plausible. I think this video is flawed in the way it handles and presents evidence, and I think this response thread is flawed in some arguments and in the way it frames the opinion of the other side, and so I tackled both.
Jan 27, 2019 5:18 PM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
@RobertBobert Thanks for the advice but I'm not ignoring PR, I don't have a problem with her having an opinion and an interpretation of the show's narrative, one that I actually quite agree with on the overall conclusion, or I see at the very least as perfectly plausible. I think this video is flawed in the way it handles and presents evidence, and I think this response thread is flawed in some arguments and in the way it frames the opinion of the other side, and so I tackled both.

I understand you, but I had too bad experience with this person. This is a natural Anita Sargsyan in the anime world.
Jan 29, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned.
Please stay on topic and refrain from making irrelevant posts/comments that do not contribute to discussion.
Jan 30, 2019 9:05 AM

Jan 2016
jal90 said:
Uhm, not really a fan of the video which I believe is kind of overconfident at constructing the arguments. I find this a valid reading, but it doesn't really invalidate the other readings. It's clear to me that Rikka and Akane are queer-coded, particularly the former (if you ask me, both seem to be bi). However to use that as definitive evidence that the pairing is canon is iffy to me. Particularly because leaving such an important plot point (Rikka being Akane's crush, which would kind of put her at the core of the entire motivation of Akane as a villain/goddess of this world) as subtextual "they could be just very close friends" coded narrative is at the very least questionable from storytelling standards.

Making arguments over a speculation that the fanbase is forced to build because the show is afraid to be chrystal clear about it is hard, I know, but throwing random hints all over with a slight tone of confirmation bias and kind of shady standards (the analysis on Rika's and Akane's relationship and dynamics with Yuta) doesn't really do any favor to this show's narrative and its interpretation, even if this is actually what it wants to transmit. It's basically saying that there's a collection of single, random and isolated little coded moments watered down by the overall ambiguous stance of the show that we should accept as the canon. I personally think that while hints are cool, they can't replace the issue when a series doesn't dare or doesn't care about being upfront about something, and particularly something that sounds as plot relevant as who is Akane's true significant other.

On the other hand, I find the idea that Akane is Rikka's mirror self really interesting. But I have some issues with the arguments. For starters, I think it's a very poor basis for the entire construction of this narrative interpretation to assume that Akane's real life version proves that she and Rikka are the same just because the girl looks like Rikka. Live action Akane is a normal-looking Japanese high school girl and I think it's splitting hairs because this only proves that Rikka looks more like a real girl than Akane, who is more heavily stylized. If we take the idea that Akane is the anime avatar of real life Akane, then Rikka being more realistic looking doesn't hold any value, she just is.

To say that Rikka is "forced" to love Akane is also not a really good way to put it. What PR says I think is that Rikka exists as someone who loves Akane, as created by Akane. She is conditioned to do that, because she doesn't exist as a character or as an individual beyond Akane's emotional needs. Akane created Rikka, and she created her mind and emotions. Rikka is not put against her will, her will is programmed to fit that scenario. If anything, Gridman is about a character using her powers to her own wish-fulfillment, building a world where everything responds to her emotional needs, in the larger scale; in the more narrow scale, it is simply not true. Rikka never feels raped or coerced. It is her will, the one that Akane created for her. To compare this show with rape is a bit tasteless, since its aim and stance are rather metaphysical, being aware that there is something that programmed your entire existence, feelings and values. Rikka never fights against that, maybe because she was programmed to be that way too. Her emotions are genuine to her.

I didn’t mention the Yuta point to make it seem like there’s a straight coupling. My interpretation was that Rikka was Akane’s alter-ego & Yuta was Akane’s hero that she created in a story where she’s a villainーas a means to save herself, thus the affection. Everything in the anime is revealed to be a dream or the subconscious desires of Akane, so saying they’re gay or that there’s any legitamate coupling whatsoever is kind of weird.

You mentioned the example with Akane waking up looking like Rikka, but what about the example in the dream world where Rikka’s mother is also Akane’s? Believe me, all the cute fanart & the ED theme made me want to ship them as well, but the way that series unfolded doesn’t make it plausible outside of fanfiction.
EggheadLunaJan 30, 2019 9:10 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 30, 2019 9:06 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
@LunaPrecure Thank you so much for this post. I no longer thought that someone from the qeer community would be able to drop their ships and speak out against such attempts to declare all the characters to be gay and lesbian just because they were close.

Thanks, I don’t believe in shipping for the sake of ships. ( ˶˙ᵕ˙˶ )

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 30, 2019 9:18 AM

Oct 2010
LunaPrecure said:
jal90 said:

I didn’t mention the Yuta point to make it seem like there’s a straight coupling. My interpretation was that Rikka was Akane’s alter-ego & Yuta was Akane’s hero that she created in a story where she’s a villainーas a means to save herself, thus the affection. Everything in the anime is revealed to be a dream or the subconscious desires of Akane, so saying they’re gay or that there’s any legitamate coupling whatsoever is kind of weird.

You mentioned the example with Akane waking up looking like Rikka, but what about the example in the dream world where Rikka’s mother is also Akane’s? Believe me, all the cute fanart & the ED theme made me want to ship them as well, but the way that series unfolded doesn’t make it plausible outside of fanfiction.

Fair points. Thanks for answering.

I certainly don't think that the show is about romance but romance confined inside one of the layers that this narrative presents -the dream set by Akane to solve her own inner issues- is not all far-fetched. Because inside this dream, Rikka and Akane are two separated individuals, who have interactions, who may or may not have romantic coding.
Jan 30, 2019 12:02 PM

Jan 2013
@@LunaPrecure You're forgetting that it's more of a mix between a dream and another dimension, Yuta and the gang exist in the real world.

Anyway, the video is yeah no...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 30, 2019 4:17 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
RobertBobert said:

Yeah, the funny thing is when people start thinking that the characters are gay, because they ship them, not the other way around. In any case, the PD logic works against her, if she blames straight men for liking to see Rikka heterosexual, then they can also blame her as trans lesbian who want to see Rikka lesbian.

Cabron said:
@@LunaPrecure You're forgetting that it's more of a mix between a dream and another dimension, Yuta and the gang exist in the real world.

Well, the popular point of view among people is that this is a kind of "ReCreators" thing. That is, Akane created her fictional ideal world and remained there as a kind of "protagonist" from the real world. However, the ending implies that before Gridman rebooted the world, their whole "universe" was limited to their city and a number of conventions.

This is especially noticeable by the fact that all not involved characters as if did not exist, such as brother of Rikka or parents of Yuta.
Jan 30, 2019 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
@jal90 Here we are faced with the intentions of the authors. For example, the famous LGBT poster is a hint of sexual tension between them? Just a metaphor of their friendly love? Metaphor of their spiritual love as soulmates? An attempt to deceive the viewer or simply appeal to qeer viewers as part of the general message “take care of yourself”?

I can talk for a long time that their “love” is a metaphor for self-love and that the whole show is about how important it is to accept yourself and live an open life, but ultimately this question is solved only by revealing the authors' intentions.

Jan 31, 2019 11:33 AM

Jan 2016
jal90 said:
LunaPrecure said:

Fair points. Thanks for answering.

I certainly don't think that the show is about romance but romance confined inside one of the layers that this narrative presents -the dream set by Akane to solve her own inner issues- is not all far-fetched. Because inside this dream, Rikka and Akane are two separated individuals, who have interactions, who may or may not have romantic coding.

Yeah, I think that Akane might be bisexualーif her headspace is to be believed, or perhaps, it is her yearning for social acceptance & understanding. Only the script writers will know. Thanks for reading my reply. I thought that this story was a very important tale of self-actualization.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 31, 2019 11:38 AM

Jan 2016
Cabron said:

I don’t think the alternate dimension theory was confirmed in the series (the ending left more than a dozen head-scratches); the characters may have been facets of Akane’s subconscious, but it might have been a dimension that Akane created & can access through her dreams. Interesting theory!

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 31, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

Yeah, the funny thing is when people start thinking that the characters are gay, because they ship them, not the other way around. In any case, the PD logic works against her, if she blames straight men for liking to see Rikka heterosexual, then they can also blame her as trans lesbian who want to see Rikka lesbian.

That’s the problem with open-ended symbolism. Each person inserts themselves into the narrative & assumes that their interpretation is canon. I’ve seen the same issues with Neon Genesis Evangelionーpeople will assume that Shinji’s gay, even though he’s only shown having sexual intercourse with Asuka. Another topic for debate. And people will say that the series has canonically confirmed that Shinji’s one true love is Kaworu & I’m like, “Really? Do you really know what Hideaki Anno REALLY was trying to say when he directed this series?” I think that Kaworu’s unconditional love for Shinji is sweet, but I prefer to see a series with a pure perspective & not assume what the creator was thinking.

Back to Gridman, Rikka is Akane’s dream-world creation. If there was a real life version of Rikka represented in Akane’s slice of reality, I would be more inclined to believe it. But, there simply wasn’t enough evidence for me.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 31, 2019 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
RobertBobert said:

That’s the problem with open-ended symbolism. Each person inserts themselves into the narrative & assumes that their interpretation is canon. I’ve seen the same issues with Neon Genesis Evangelionーpeople will assume that Shinji’s gay, even though he’s only shown having sexual intercourse with Asuka. Another topic for debate. And people will say that the series has canonically confirmed that Shinji’s one true love is Kaworu & I’m like, “Really? Do you really know what Hideaki Anno REALLY was trying to say when he directed this series?” I think that Kaworu’s unconditional love for Shinji is sweet, but I prefer to see a series with a pure perspective & not assume what the creator was thinking.

Back to Gridman, Rikka is Akane’s dream-world creation. If there was a real life version of Rikka represented in Akane’s slice of reality, I would be more inclined to believe it. But, there simply wasn’t enough evidence for me.

Oh yes, personal experience really influences our perception. A couple of weeks ago I read about femslash in "Gone with the Wind" and the author of the article showed well how the reader's sexuality can influence the "obviousness" of various affection that we can see in the novel.
Jan 31, 2019 1:01 PM

Jan 2013
LunaPrecure said:
Cabron said:

I don’t think the alternate dimension theory was confirmed in the series (the ending left more than a dozen head-scratches); the characters may have been facets of Akane’s subconscious, but it might have been a dimension that Akane created & can access through her dreams. Interesting theory!
It's not really a theory since Gridman is an inter-dimensional police officer, just like in the live action series, it's the same Gridman.

Feb 1, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2016
Cabron said:
LunaPrecure said:

It's not really a theory since Gridman is an inter-dimensional police officer, just like in the live action series, it's the same Gridman.

That’s probably where I was wrong, I haven’t watched the tokusatsu series; so, the only context I grasped at was from the series.

EDIT: I read the trivia section about SSSS.Gridman on TV Tropes & apparently TRIGGER lied in earlier interviews about the series, saying it was a retelling, to cover up the reveal in episode 12. That’s where I was off, I took it as a new take on the series because I read the earlier ANN press releases. Thanks for letting me know, @Cabron!
EggheadLunaFeb 1, 2019 11:07 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 1, 2019 10:57 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

Oh yes, personal experience really influences our perception. A couple of weeks ago I read about femslash in "Gone with the Wind" and the author of the article showed well how the reader's sexuality can influence the "obviousness" of various affection that we can see in the novel.

Shipping is fine, but I think that claiming something is canon (when there’s no hard evidence) is wrong. Like, I’m writing a Illya X Miyu fanfiction (Prisma☆Illya) & there’s lesbian subtext in the show, but I only consider them lovers in my storyーsince they don’t have an established relationship in the series.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 1, 2019 3:25 PM

Apr 2012
@LunaPrecure I hold the same opinion. It is especially strange when a person thinks that the recognition of the subjectivity of his views allows him to shout “this is a canon” or “this is almost a canon”, lol. It seems that it is no longer important what you personally think; it is important that others hold the same opinion.

LunaPrecure said:
EDIT: I read the trivia section about SSSS.Gridman on TV Tropes & apparently TRIGGER lied in earlier interviews about the series, saying it was a retelling, to cover up the reveal in episode 12. That’s where I was off, I took it as a new take on the series because I read the earlier ANN press releases. Thanks for letting me know, @Cabron!

They really lied, but overall I wouldn’t trust TV Tropes so much. In particular, there still hangs the statement that Akane's VA called Rikka romantic in love with her, although it was based on a speculative translation of a Japanese interview.
Feb 3, 2019 12:25 PM

Jan 2016
@RobertBobert It’s difficult to find definitive evidence of what the creator’s intent for the world was. Sometimes, I wish I was fluent in Japanese, so I can understand raw interviews. ‪( ;ᯅ; ) Was it ANN that mistranslated the VA thing or another website?

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 3, 2019 5:35 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
@RobertBobert It’s difficult to find definitive evidence of what the creator’s intent for the world was. Sometimes, I wish I was fluent in Japanese, so I can understand raw interviews. ‪( ;ᯅ; ) Was it ANN that mistranslated the VA thing or another website?

It was not translated by the resource, just some anime fan found the original article and somehow translated it.

I do not speak Japanese and obviously, I myself cannot be an expert, but the article has only 2-3 points where it is a question of love or ambiguously describes the feelings of Rikka and in all these cases, the context either does not allow treating it as romance, or they are talking about events of past episodes. For example, she quotes Rikka's words from episode 11, where she says that she was created to love Akane as a friend and will continue to do so in spite of everything. Akane's VA calls it "I love you", uses daisuki.

It is also interesting that they somehow deny that Akane was the main character, as according to her VA, the main character is Gridman because the main cast and events revolve around him. In general, this is VA discussing the 12th episode from a personal position, so I doubt that this can be used as some kind of canon.
Feb 3, 2019 7:01 PM

Dec 2017
I mean, it's as legitimate as the Akane x Yuta/Yuta x Akane pairing. The show is all about supporting Akane, that much is obvious. There are many ways of doing that and the ending + episode 9 is evidence for both Akane x Rikka and Akane x Yuta. The one who supports Akane the most is without a doubt Rikka, Rikka is the one who sees Akane into the real world, and Ryuichi Sugimoto's "BELIEVE" is tied to both of them and considering the lyrics (look them up) it's very clear that Rikka is supposed to be the one who has the most faith in Akane and the one who supports her the most. While not necessarily romantic, the conclusion that it is isn't farfetched, I mean, besides family who the hell supports you like that beyond your significant other. Also to address your argument, Akane made Rikka love her yes but the way in which she loves her shouldn't be in the way it eventually develops: all the other people in the world love Akane in the way Rikka should theoretically love Akane. As a result of Gridman's influence she breaks out of that

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 4, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

It was not translated by the resource, just some anime fan found the original article and somehow translated it.

I do not speak Japanese and obviously, I myself cannot be an expert, but the article has only 2-3 points where it is a question of love or ambiguously describes the feelings of Rikka and in all these cases, the context either does not allow treating it as romance, or they are talking about events of past episodes. For example, she quotes Rikka's words from episode 11, where she says that she was created to love Akane as a friend and will continue to do so in spite of everything. Akane's VA calls it "I love you", uses daisuki.

It is also interesting that they somehow deny that Akane was the main character, as according to her VA, the main character is Gridman because the main cast and events revolve around him. In general, this is VA discussing the 12th episode from a personal position, so I doubt that this can be used as some kind of canon.

Jeez, that is really confusing. From the stated context, it really doesn’t seem to be an invocation of canon romance.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 4, 2019 10:46 AM

Jan 2016
Tommeow said:
I mean, it's as legitimate as the Akane x Yuta/Yuta x Akane pairing. The show is all about supporting Akane, that much is obvious. There are many ways of doing that and the ending + episode 9 is evidence for both Akane x Rikka and Akane x Yuta. The one who supports Akane the most is without a doubt Rikka, Rikka is the one who sees Akane into the real world, and Ryuichi Sugimoto's "BELIEVE" is tied to both of them and considering the lyrics (look them up) it's very clear that Rikka is supposed to be the one who has the most faith in Akane and the one who supports her the most. While not necessarily romantic, the conclusion that it is isn't farfetched, I mean, besides family who the hell supports you like that beyond your significant other. Also to address your argument, Akane made Rikka love her yes but the way in which she loves her shouldn't be in the way it eventually develops: all the other people in the world love Akane in the way Rikka should theoretically love Akane. As a result of Gridman's influence she breaks out of that

To me, it just seems creepy that a person that Akane created out of lonliness, would then become her lover. Yuta & Rikka, appeared to me, to be manifestations of Akane’s desire for compassion & understanding. Akane is the creator of the world, the singularity that defies all reason because she’s the that world’s axiom of existenceーin my opinion, it seems strange that that would lend itself to anything resembling romance or pairings. If we go with the extra-diminsional theory of SSSS.Gridman, Akane is a God that was born from another world (that was perhaps created by another God), right? I think it’s weird for her to be romantically involved with people that she created to love her. If we go with the second possibility: a dream/Akane’s subconsciousーall of the characters in the series are part of her, therefore it’s self-cest.

I personally prefer to interpret the series as Rikka & Akane being foils because they are two sides of the same person. Evidence: (1) when Akane has the dream that her kaiju inducesーshe’s seen to have the same mother as Rikka & essentially takes Rikka’s place. (2) Rikka has blue eyes & Akane has red eyesーblue & red, in color theory, are seen as colors that represent duality. Whether you want to take it as they have opposite personalities or that they’re essentially the same person is up to you. (3) Rikka is portrayed as the perfect “girl next door” stereotype, while Akane sees herself as a slovenly otakuーthis may be interpreted as Rikka being the side of Akane’s self that she likes, while the Akane is a manifestation of her inner ugliness. (4) Akane wakes up from the Gridman world looking like Rikka? You can say that that’s what a typical Japanese girl looks like, but why does she appear to be so different in the alternate world?
EggheadLunaFeb 5, 2019 10:03 AM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 4, 2019 10:57 AM

Jan 2009
Akane and Rikka are like the same person in the eyes of Akane that created Rikka anyway so ye in Akane's view she is just teasing herself
Feb 4, 2019 12:01 PM

Dec 2017
LunaPrecure said:
Tommeow said:

To me, it just seems creepy that a person that Akane created out of lonliness, would then become her lover. Yuta & Rikka, appeared to me, to be manifestations of Akane’s desire for compassion & understanding. Akane is the creator of the world, the singularity that defies all reason because she’s the that world’s axiom of existenceーin my opinion, it seems strange that that would lend itself to anything resembling romance or pairings. If we go with the extra-diminsional theory of SSSS.Gridman, Akane is a God that was born from another world (that was perhaps created by another God), right? I think it’s weird for her to be romantically involved with people that she created to love her. If we go with the second possibility: a dream/Akane’s subconsciousーall of the characters in the series are part of her, therefore it’s self-cest.

I personally prefer to interpret the series as Rikka & Akane being foils because there’s two sides of the same person. Evidence: (1) when Akane has the dream that her kaiju inducesーshe’s seen to have the same mother as Rikka & essentially takes Rikka’s place. (2) Rikka has blue eyes & Akane has red eyesーblue & red, in color theory, are seen as colors that represent duality. Whether you want to take it as they have opposite personalities or that they’re essentially the same person is up to you. (3) Rikka is portrayed as the perfect “girl next door” stereotype, while Akane sees herself as a slovenly otakuーthis may be interpreted as Rikka being the side of Akane’s self that she likes, while the Akane is a manifestation of her inner ugliness. (4) Akane wakes up from the Gridman world looking like Rikka? You can say that that’s what a typical Japanese girl looks like, but why does she appear to be so different in the alternate world?

Let's get some things out of the way really quick: SSSS Gridman is a deconstruction of the isekai genre. The whole point of Isekai is the idea that if you had your perfect little world where you're powerful and can do things nobody else can do you can find happiness and the only reason you can't in our world is because the world is imperfect. So Akane gets sent to a world where she is perfect, everyone loves her, there's no problems for her assuming there's no outside interference, and it's her idealized life, but instead of finding her place in this world, Gridman shows up to show her that running away to a world where you have the power doesn't fix anything. By the events of the story and some of the more subtle elements (like BELIEVE as I said earlier), Rikka is the one who should theoretically support Akane the most. Whether that's romantic or not isn't clarified or not, but I personally don't see much evidence either way. It might be, it might not be. By the way, traditionally speaking Gods have romantic relations with mortals all the time, see everything pre-Christianity for details.

As for the second paragraph: 1. That's because in that case she wants to take Rikka's place for Yuta because Yuta has feelings for Rikka. She's fulfilling her wish to be loved
2. Opposites attract is one of the more common sayings related to love.
3. Rikka isn't is supposed to be just a regular highschooler just like everyone else. I don't know where this idea that Rikka is who Akane wants to be theories started, it's very clear she made everybody love her and perceive her as perfect, why would she then put the person she wants to be in that same world beside her? Akane made the world so that she would be perfect, so that she wouldn't have to worry about being accepted, sot hat she could have the life reality couldn't offer her. Rikka has nothing to do with that.
4. Like I said, that's how Akane perceives someone perfect to be. Akane wants to be the perfect person everyone's jealous of because she isn't that in real life, she's more like Rikka in real life, someone without any notable traits in the eyes of the people around her. The whole world of Gridman exists just so that Akane can stop worrying about how harsh reality can be.

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 4, 2019 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
@Tommeow Come on now, Gridman isn't a "deconstruction".
Let's not start adding labels that don't belong.

Feb 4, 2019 12:21 PM

Dec 2017
@Cabron depends on the incredibly loose definition of deconstruction. I've always felt deconstruction meant saying what a common situation in a film would actually mean for the people involved

Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 4, 2019 12:25 PM

Dec 2017
@Cabron I'll also add that what I got out of Gridman is that running away to another world doesn't actually fix anything because you're still the same person in spite of the change to your surroundings. Isekai tend to say that people like otaku are perfect the way they are, but you were born in the wrong world so you're useless so we're going to take you to the world where everything is perfect for you.

Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 4, 2019 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
Tommeow said:

That is, your whole ship is based only on the fact that mutual care between two characters can have a romantic context? And you think this is equal to a ship, where at least one character has canonical romantic feelings? As forced. With the same logic, you can "justify" absolutely any ship, just saying that the importance of the characters for each other is romance .... in fact, most of the yuri and yaoi fans do just that.
RobertBobertFeb 4, 2019 2:54 PM
Feb 4, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
@Tommeow If Occam were still alive, I would have called the police with a complaint of sexual assault. Your post is literally the trolling of the very idea of ​​the Occam's razor

@LunaPrecure The problem is that people deny the existence of any love other than romance. If they see the word love somewhere, not even in a romantic context and using non-romantic words for love, they still scream that this is proof of the characters' romantic love.

LunaPrecure said:
You can say that that’s what a typical Japanese girl looks like, but why does she appear to be so different in the alternate world?

You forgot to pay attention to the fact that she is wearing the same sweater as Rikka, and behind her is the real version of RIkka's collective photo with a big "Akane" lettering on it. It’s hard to come up with a more obvious hint. According to one of the rumors, she was even played by Rikka's Va.
RobertBobertFeb 4, 2019 2:58 PM
Feb 4, 2019 4:28 PM

Dec 2017
RobertBobert said:
Tommeow said:

That is, your whole ship is based only on the fact that mutual care between two characters can have a romantic context? And you think this is equal to a ship, where at least one character has canonical romantic feelings? As forced. With the same logic, you can "justify" absolutely any ship, just saying that the importance of the characters for each other is romance .... in fact, most of the yuri and yaoi fans do just that.
Not saying it’s necessarily a ship, but it isn’t outright implausible

Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 4, 2019 5:27 PM

Apr 2012
Tommeow said:
RobertBobert said:

Not saying it’s necessarily a ship, but it isn’t outright implausible

This is at least theoretically possible, until the heroes have received canonical sexuality. As far as I understand, girls don't have it. But at the same time, I am extremely doubtful about this, since this is pure speculation.
Feb 5, 2019 10:13 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:

You forgot to pay attention to the fact that she is wearing the same sweater as Rikka, and behind her is the real version of RIkka's collective photo with a big "Akane" lettering on it. It’s hard to come up with a more obvious hint. According to one of the rumors, she was even played by Rikka's Va.

I didn’t notice thatーvery interesting! When I watched it, I kept noticing duality symbolism & weird similarities between them; & I thought, ‘I think there’s more to this relationship than meets the eye.’ I guess the proof is in the pudding.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 5, 2019 12:45 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
RobertBobert said:

I didn’t notice thatーvery interesting! When I watched it, I kept noticing duality symbolism & weird similarities between them; & I thought, ‘I think there’s more to this relationship than meets the eye.’ I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Therefore, many people, including myself, took this as one of the proofs of their identity. Although it was noticeable even earlier, as in episode 9, when Akane was on the place of Rikka in the Rikka x Yuta scenes, wanting to become his girlfriend.

Well, the Japanese love this kind of approach, because they believe that it is much more interesting when the viewer himself comes to the conclusion that they directly push the conclusion into his mouth. For example, Yamada said that Liz is a rather subtle film, since she considered it disrespectful to the viewer to immediately say in outright, that "these two are best friends!". Of course, this very often causes heated debates about interpretations and ship wars, but in general it makes anime smarter and deeper than it could be otherwise.

Feb 6, 2019 7:59 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

Therefore, many people, including myself, took this as one of the proofs of their identity. Although it was noticeable even earlier, as in episode 9, when Akane was on the place of Rikka in the Rikka x Yuta scenes, wanting to become his girlfriend.

Well, the Japanese love this kind of approach, because they believe that it is much more interesting when the viewer himself comes to the conclusion that they directly push the conclusion into his mouth. For example, Yamada said that Liz is a rather subtle film, since she considered it disrespectful to the viewer to immediately say in outright, that "these two are best friends!". Of course, this very often causes heated debates about interpretations and ship wars, but in general it makes anime smarter and deeper than it could be otherwise.

Yep! Save the shipping for fanfiction. ( ˶˙ᵕ˙˶ )

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 6, 2019 3:02 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
RobertBobert said:

This is a continuation of one Japanese national concept "yugen", which literally means hidden from the eyes, which we can feel only with the help of an intuitive-mystical perception of the essence. For example, when Yamada uses the metaphor of romantic love in the friendship between Kumiko and Reina in Eupho, it makes us feel the power of the emotional connection between girls.

In the case of Rikka and Akane, the plot uses the ambiguous motive of love between the two girls as a metaphor for a person to accept herself and love her true self. This is a rather subtle cultural device that is not alien to European culture, remember Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night, or What You Will" as a metaphor for gender roles, but people are too busy with ship wars and yuri, so they miss this depth and message.
Feb 7, 2019 3:56 PM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

This is a continuation of one Japanese national concept "yugen", which literally means hidden from the eyes, which we can feel only with the help of an intuitive-mystical perception of the essence. For example, when Yamada uses the metaphor of romantic love in the friendship between Kumiko and Reina in Eupho, it makes us feel the power of the emotional connection between girls.

In the case of Rikka and Akane, the plot uses the ambiguous motive of love between the two girls as a metaphor for a person to accept herself and love her true self. This is a rather subtle cultural device that is not alien to European culture, remember Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night, or What You Will" as a metaphor for gender roles, but people are too busy with ship wars and yuri, so they miss this depth and message.

That’s really interesting, I wish I was as well-read on the subject as you are. It reminds me of when Yuru Yuri was airing (WAY back in 2011) & people were upset that there weren’t enough “yuri” elements to it, but I was captivated by the friendship & understanding between the girls (a big proponent of why I’m into the Precure franchise & Yuuki Yuuna). While not alien to European culture, it seems thatーparticularly in American cultureーsubtlety is scarce.

I saw SSSS.Gridman as a Shoujo Kakumei Utena-like tale; Akane creates a world full of people who accept her & Yuta (the “knight in shining armor” archetype) battles her inner demons, but only she can save herself through the lens of self-actualization.
EggheadLunaFeb 7, 2019 4:06 PM

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 7, 2019 6:21 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
RobertBobert said:

That’s really interesting, I wish I was as well-read on the subject as you are. It reminds me of when Yuru Yuri was airing (WAY back in 2011) & people were upset that there weren’t enough “yuri” elements to it, but I was captivated by the friendship & understanding between the girls (a big proponent of why I’m into the Precure franchise & Yuuki Yuuna). While not alien to European culture, it seems thatーparticularly in American cultureーsubtlety is scarce.

I saw SSSS.Gridman as a Shoujo Kakumei Utena-like tale; Akane creates a world full of people who accept her & Yuta (the “knight in shining armor” archetype) battles her inner demons, but only she can save herself through the lens of self-actualization.

Yes, you are right, it can easily be seen as a motive "you need willpower to defeat darkness, but only you can defeat your own demons". In the end, the main message of the show is "take care of yourself". By the way now I'm just re-watching the Lord of the Rings on DVD, and suddenly realized that if I didn't know the cultural context of the book, I would have thought that Sam had something for Frodo, lol.

Thanks for the compliment. In general, if you are interested, you can find similar motifs in Yasunari Kawabata's fiction. He also has work on lesbian topics, one of which was one of the most famous Class S works, and the other get ive action adaptation in 00s.
RobertBobertFeb 7, 2019 6:25 PM
Feb 8, 2019 9:37 AM

Jan 2016
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

Yes, you are right, it can easily be seen as a motive "you need willpower to defeat darkness, but only you can defeat your own demons". In the end, the main message of the show is "take care of yourself". By the way now I'm just re-watching the Lord of the Rings on DVD, and suddenly realized that if I didn't know the cultural context of the book, I would have thought that Sam had something for Frodo, lol.

Thanks for the compliment. In general, if you are interested, you can find similar motifs in Yasunari Kawabata's fiction. He also has work on lesbian topics, one of which was one of the most famous Class S works, and the other get ive action adaptation in 00s.

Oh boy, I actually think I may have had acquaintances in school that shipped Sam & Frodo! (haha)

Thanks for the literature recommendation; I made the goal of reading a hundred books this year & I’m going to try to meet it! ( ˶˙ᵕ˙˶ ) It’s often hard to find good lesbian fiction... that isn’t smutty.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Feb 8, 2019 9:50 AM

Mar 2016
That video: So people who don't understand the message of the show are telling others they don't understand the message of the show?
Nothing new to see here then.

Witnessing someone in the depths of despair come to understand that they have value outside of a world they've created, and try to take a step out into reality after a beautiful character moment...all ends up being, literally 'they gay.'

Fucking hell.
syncrogazerFeb 8, 2019 9:56 AM
Feb 9, 2019 9:58 AM

Jan 2016
syncrogazer said:
That video: So people who don't understand the message of the show are telling others they don't understand the message of the show?

Witnessing someone in the depths of despair come to understand that they have value outside of a world they've created, and try to take a step out into reality after a beautiful character moment...all ends up being, literally 'they gay.'

Fucking hell.

(haha) I guess we obviously didn’t understand that the WHOLE series was about Rikka & Akane being gay & not about Akane’s interpersonal struggles.

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Mar 13, 2019 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
LunaPrecure said:
syncrogazer said:

Fucking hell.

(haha) I guess we obviously didn’t understand that the WHOLE series was about Rikka & Akane being gay & not about Akane’s interpersonal struggles.

You are unlikely to be surprised, but Pedantic has finally admitted that she cannot respond to real criticism. I recently saw her video again, and it turned out that she put the author's like under each comment that supported her, which is why comments with praise artificially rose to the top. If you go back to the comments on her video now, you will see that all the TOP is literally filled with praise with her likes.

As I told you before, this person is not interested in truth or neutrality, only her agenda and she will defend it in any way.
Mar 14, 2019 2:51 AM

Jan 2013
RobertBobert said:
LunaPrecure said:

You are unlikely to be surprised, but Pedantic has finally admitted that she cannot respond to real criticism. I recently saw her video again, and it turned out that she put the author's like under each comment that supported her, which is why comments with praise artificially rose to the top. If you go back to the comments on her video now, you will see that all the TOP is literally filled with praise with her likes.

As I told you before, this person is not interested in truth or neutrality, only her agenda and she will defend it in any way.
Do you know where pedantic admitted it?
Not surprised though, pedantic always came off like that.

Mar 14, 2019 2:58 AM

Apr 2012
Cabron said:
RobertBobert said:

Of course, she never admitted it outright. I say this in view of the fact that she tried to hide critical comments under this video by artificially raising comments from qeer people who praise her, saying that "this is obvious" and "straight people do not understand anything!".
Mar 14, 2019 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
RobertBobert said:
Cabron said:

Of course, she never admitted it outright. I say this in view of the fact that she tried to hide critical comments under this video by artificially raising comments from qeer people who praise her, saying that "this is obvious" and "straight people do not understand anything!".
Oh lmao, then yeah I already know about that.

Mar 15, 2019 6:54 AM

Apr 2012
Cabron said:
RobertBobert said:

Oh lmao, then yeah I already know about that.

Well, in those comments there was so much sexism and prejudice against heterosexual men that I didn’t even immediately notice when I came across a video a second time.
Mar 20, 2019 10:06 AM

Aug 2013
Oh dang, another anime with people falling in throngs for the yuri bait, just as with Hibike! Euphonium.

Also, I find it hilarious how Pedantic tries to implicate that people don't feel Rikka is gay because of an inherent objectification/possessiveness over her, as if both Rikka and Akane weren't created exactly for this end. And of course, as if lesbian pairings where there isn't even a subtext weren't common af among the anime community. Their arguments do not hold water, so they basically attempt to guilt trip people into accepting their views. It's almost as if men don't obsess over lesbians and would probably rave if there was any actual lesbian fanservice in the show.

The highlighted comment says:

"Two female characters: "Hold hands, make each other laugh, share common interests, be there for each other, flirt, kiss and is confirmed gay by the creator."
People: "I don't think they're gay."
"One of the female characters looks at a guy for 2 seconds, and doesn't even blush."
People: "See? Undeniable proof. I told you they were straight."

Because yeah, creators never once confirmed silly stuff as canon just to appease the fandom. J. K. Rowling, everyone?

If all this stuff was really important it would be included in the show and not only in a subtextual manner, to the point it would cause a division. Period.
Satyr_iconMar 20, 2019 5:14 PM
Mar 23, 2019 3:14 AM

May 2009
Haven't seen any yuri in this anime (same with that garbage Korra). Even Hibike had more bait and girls had their male love interests anyway.
Satyr_icon said:
Because yeah, creators never once confirmed silly stuff as canon just to appease the fandom. J. K. Rowling, everyone?

What Rowling is doing validates that everyone should stick to Death of the Author concept.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

162 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:18 AM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.