Forum Settings
Forums

"Anime are much much mature than people think they are." Agree with me?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 28, 2019 1:25 AM

Jan 2019
When someone think about anime the first thought is "anime is for kids, none mature" and dont realize anime is like the series, movies who everyone watch.
The main reason is that they exist in all types and forms and of course for all ages.

Now: lets thing about:

KShuXInoriJan 28, 2019 6:00 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 28, 2019 7:42 AM

Sep 2017
zBluee said:
The problem, boy...
is that for every 80 anime, just 5 are something that you can call "mature".
and if this 5 "mature" anime are good, it's a whole nother story.

Satyr_icon said:
No. Most of the aspects you mentioned alone don't even have anything to do with maturity.

Anime overall is not a very mature medium. And this is not a problem. Anime fans should get past this discussion already.

Exactly , only a few anime among the many prove to be called mature.Even anime of the seinen genre are not that mature like One Punch Man.
Anime are definately imaginative,complex,complicated and serious but I don't think you can call all of them mature.
In the end I guess its all about how much naive or mature your mind is if you get what I mean.
Jan 28, 2019 8:54 AM

Aug 2010
depends on the anime but most are made for kids or teens
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 28, 2019 9:53 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It's just like regular television. It has demographics.

Normies are just brainwashed into thinking animation is for kiddos.
Jan 28, 2019 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
This post gave me cancer....
*dies*
Jan 28, 2019 11:50 AM

Mar 2017
I definitely agree that anime can be a much stronger medium of story-telling than a lot of people give it credit for.

Could you explain what you mean by 'exceed the bounds of the medium of animation'?
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Jan 28, 2019 3:27 PM

Jun 2015
No. If someone smart writes something that's mature with an intention to make it mature, it will be mature. Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, anything by Satoshi Kon,... Honestly, there's no point in even trying to count them. Just dig deeper and you'll find great, mature, critically acclaimed stuff.

But yeah, with shit like Edge Slayer and Budget Girl Senpai continuously making the headlines and being poster children of anime, I don't blame people for finding anime immature.
Jan 28, 2019 5:30 PM

Nov 2017
Eh. It's a medium of entertainment just like any other, so it varies. I'd argue that the majority of anime are geared more towards the teenage crowd, and the barrage of cliches that are constantly utilized aren't exactly what I would call mature. But, there are fantastic series that really do shine, and I enjoy the immature shows as much as anyone else given I've grown up on them.
Jan 28, 2019 8:12 PM
Nov 2017
81Koyomi_Araragi said:

Wondering how I got past the character limit, huh?

Yes actually, thanks for the tip. Now I can write secret messages to you :]
Jan 28, 2019 11:46 PM

Mar 2018
BirdyTheMighty said:
81Koyomi_Araragi said:

Wondering how I got past the character limit, huh?

Yes actually, thanks for the tip. Now I can write secret messages to you :]

You're welcome. Hope to see you around then ;D
Jan 29, 2019 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, but the more anime I watch, the less I think that way. Because it seems to me that not all anime are meant to give away a certain message or idea. The ones who focus on their themes are very impressive though. But anyhow, I do agree that they can be quite mature, even the children's shows have something to say sometimes.
Jan 29, 2019 4:54 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Koustubh said:
But I don't mean to say this. What I mean to say is that anime, in general are able to exceed the bounds of the medium of animation

Not sure what the bounds of animation, but I still don't think it makes sense that anime in general are able to do that. Indeed, if that were true, we wouldn't have a top anime list here; it'd all #1.
Now, if you're talking about normies misconstruing the animation medium as something to simply produce stories for kids, then that's just beating a dead horse. They've been wrong for decades, and this topic has been discussed (and still is, for whatever reason) obsessively for way too long.
Jan 29, 2019 5:52 AM

Jun 2014
Anime is one of the most immature mediums there is. It's much rarer to see mature themes done properly as opposed to books or movies. At the end of the day, it's just a cartoon you're watching, with nowhere near the budget of a movie, or the narrative complexities of a novel.
And japs can't into philosophy so you end up with the most shallow of shallow themes in """deep""" anime.

Jan 29, 2019 8:15 AM

Aug 2013
I'd say the main problem with the medium is that both anime and manga way too obsessed with escapism.

By itself escapism is not a bad thing, after all Japan has at the same time elevated escapism to art with works like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Mushishi, Aria and &c, while the West is still just trying to make superhero movies/series artsier. The problem is that as in any modern medium, escapism in anime often comes at its worst form. And while there's no problem liking that, you can't really say it is mature.

@Orion007 yeah, One Punch Man is not mature but it's not like it's immature either, because it's just a parody not trying to be anything. That's why I said we should get past this discussion. The community seems to be full of insecure people who can't shake the feeling that others might call them immature for liking anime.
Jan 29, 2019 8:29 AM

Mar 2015
Anime can be mature. Why can't it? It's a medium with demographics.

Does anime have to be aimed at 30 somethings to be considered mature?

I think if an anime takes it self, it's theme, plot, characters, etc, seriously, it can be labeled as 'mature'.
Does anime discuss important themes, emotions, etc? Yes. Of course not every anime, but there are a lot of anime out there that do. Anime doesn't have to have a Psychological/Seinen tag to be mature.

I think people label anime for kids, because when they hear 'animation' they think of Spongebob, Disney, Dora the Explorer, etc. That's their schema of animation. If people hear the word 'anime' they think of shouenen, hentai, gore, and characters with huge ass eyes. That's their schema of anime.
Anyone who has seen a decent amount can probably tell you that is not all there is to animation/anime.

America and Japan are also culturely different, if we weren't all aware of that already.
woah there
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

12 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

203 by Coaghim »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

25 by Atashi_Agatha »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.