Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2019 5:55 PM

Sep 2015
What Is a classic anime? Well, needless to say, this is an extremely complicated question to answer. Even at best, objectivity in analyzing an anime will have some subjectivity, even if unconscious; this only becomes a greater problem given the ambiguity of the term "classic." With that said, if I had to define what a classic anime is, I would use two criterion:
  • This anime is of extremely high quality.
  • This anime had significant impact on the anime industry or a specific genre(s).

Before this becomes inconceivably convoluted, I will go ahead and list two Anime that I would consider to be classics.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion - while some could argue that this "isn't of extremely high quality," its lasting impact on the world is undeniable.
  • Cowboy Bebop - this is generally considered by most to be of extremely high quality, its impact in the west is hard to ignore.

Now onto the discussion part, I want to see what anime you all consider as classics using the two criteria that I listed. Needless to say, it is also of the utmost importance to explain why you believe the Anime you list is considered a classic. Additionally, if you have your own criteria for what you believe is considered a classic, please share below!

With all this said, let the discussion begin!
AuraStormLucarioJan 24, 2019 6:01 PM
Check out my custom anime list theme here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1768732
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2019 6:07 PM
Jan 2017
Fruits basket they are remaking it which is a dream come true. I thank God after a decade the true anime that made me an anime fan.
Dragon Ball Z of course the anime that started it all for me is why the show will never be topped.
Jan 24, 2019 7:14 PM

Aug 2018
Code Geass
Steins Gate

Both are master pieces
Jan 24, 2019 7:30 PM

Sep 2018
I'd personally say animes which are a bit old (pre 2000) along with ofc being exceptionally good and had a huge impact on the anime industry. Like -
Akira
GitS
LotGH
Revolutionary girl utena
Trigun
Devilman (but manga more than the anime)
And ofc- NGE and cowboy bebop
Jan 24, 2019 7:32 PM

Oct 2014
Kimi No Wa came out in 2017, some people already say it's a classic film that's worthy of being alongside things like Akira. Why? who knows or cares, it just is. All in all, classic doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, and to prove my point, would you say that the Boku No Pico OVAs are a classic? Exactly.

A classic is simply a very well respected/acknowledged show that existed for while. It literally doesn't get deeper than that but what do I know.

Jan 24, 2019 7:36 PM

Jul 2007
Well a classic is any anime that I like.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 24, 2019 7:49 PM

Jun 2015
For a classic, a good reference is +20 years (besides its quality and impact). This is mostly applied to movies, which as a medium is older than anime, but I think it still could apply.

Then you have cult classics, that might not have had that much of an impact but have gained a progressive audience throughout the years.

Then the concept of new classics is also used for titles that have the potential to become classics over time.

So all in all it shouldn't be much of a restrictive term, but I don't see the need to overuse it, or using it at all when it comes to recent stuff.
Jan 24, 2019 7:52 PM

May 2015
No one has said either Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. or any Gundam series

technically Naruto could fall into the "classics" category

Jan 24, 2019 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Death Note is easily a classic too. For the majority of people, that is the first "real" anime that they watched.
Jan 24, 2019 8:03 PM

Sep 2015
longkazama said:
Death Note is easily a classic too. For the majority of people, that is the first "real" anime that they watched.

The first (conscious a.k.a. not Pokemon) anime I watched was Code Geass... Immediately after watching Code Geass I watched Death Note. Personally, I would say the series are of, at the VERY least, above average quality. Both of them were defining works in the so-called "Golden Age" of Anime, incredible given that they have such a similar overarching premise. I obviously wasn't watching anime at that time, but when Code Geass and Death Note were released (same season), did they compete with each other or did they moreso build each other up, almost like a symbiotic relationship?
Check out my custom anime list theme here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1768732
Jan 24, 2019 8:06 PM

Mar 2018
classic anime for me is dragon ball Z, it was on TV when I was a kid, guess I'm old.
Jan 24, 2019 8:47 PM
Oct 2018
I would say most of Miyazaki’s stuff would be classic. Like: Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Howl’s Moving Castle. Also stuff like: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and other such stuff.
i think i've had enough
Jan 24, 2019 9:34 PM
Jul 2018
AuraStormLucario said:
I obviously wasn't watching anime at that time, but when Code Geass and Death Note were released (same season), did they compete with each other or did they moreso build each other up, almost like a symbiotic relationship?

I started watching anime because of a YouTube video titled "Must watch animes" or something similar. I didn't even know what anime was although I was reading Naruto. Code Geass was at #2, and Death Note was #1 lol. Excluding the big 3, they were easily the most popular animes ever until Attack on Titans came around.
Jan 24, 2019 9:52 PM

Mar 2017
Theres plenty or classic anime. But I'd say the most influential have to be Dragon Ball, Gundam, GITS, Akira, and I forgot what it was called, but it was known to be the very first ecchi anime and it was pretty controversial for it's time.
Jan 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Aug 2016
N30-R3TR0 said:
...and I forgot what it was called, but it was known to be the very first ecchi anime and it was pretty controversial for it's time.

Go Nagai's manga Harenchi Gakuen comes to mind but it only got an OVA adaptation in the 1990s, if I recall correctly.
Jan 24, 2019 10:34 PM

Jul 2017
imo a classic anime has to be old enough to be known by the older anime fans (from the 1990s and before) and is decently known in the respective genres they represent
and ofc, they have to be influential (influencing other newer anime, movies or the popular culture in general)
Jan 24, 2019 10:34 PM

Jul 2007
longkazama said:

What do you classify as a "real" anime? Also this sounds like an opinion that a younger anime fan would have. Plenty of "real" anime existed that many people have watched long before Death Note. Wouldn't call that a "majority"
EndlessMariaJan 24, 2019 10:37 PM
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 24, 2019 10:35 PM

Aug 2018
Besides your points you should add the age, it should be more than a couple of years old. Saint Seiya is also a classic, most of the shows I think are classics were already named.
Jan 24, 2019 11:00 PM
Jul 2018
What I meant by "real" is just what, for me, would clearly define the unique medium that is anime and encourage me to seek out other animes. I only saw Naruto as a cartoon back then. It is a basically made-up definition.
EndlessMaria said:
Plenty of "real" anime existed that many people have watched long before Death Note. Wouldn't call that a "majority"

It doesn't change the fact that Death Note was a first "real" anime for me, and for many others since it was apparently the most popular anime ever. Not many people would seek out other animes during their youth watching accessible series like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. And series like Cowboy Bebops, NGE, or classic 80s, 90s anime are mostly picked up later on by younger anime fans like myself (I am 20). I'm also pretty sure the majority of anime fans are under 30.
removed-userJan 24, 2019 11:07 PM
Jan 25, 2019 12:03 AM

Nov 2016
An anime that the community can still talk about in a good way 5 to 10 years after it has finished airing I guess
Jan 25, 2019 12:10 AM

Nov 2016
longkazama said:

It doesn't change the fact that Death Note was a first "real" anime for me, and for many others since it was apparently the most popular anime ever. Not many people would seek out other animes during their youth watching accessible series like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece. And series like Cowboy Bebops, NGE, or classic 80s, 90s anime are mostly picked up later on by younger anime fans like myself (I am 20). I'm also pretty sure the majority of anime fans are under 30.

Even my mom who doesn't know what an anime is knows dragon ball, I agree with most of what you said but death note definitely isn't the most popular anime of all time.
Jan 25, 2019 12:37 AM

Jun 2016
Ghost In The Shell (1995).

I don't think there is a single more influential anime across all spectrums of media except maybe Initial D.
Jan 25, 2019 12:56 AM

Oct 2015
I wouldn't say quality is a measure to determine whether a show is classic or not, not to mention the fact that it's not feasible for reasons you've stated. For me, if a show was able to withstood the test of time and didn't fall into the realm of obscurity, then it's a classic all right.
Jan 25, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2018
I don't agree with quality part. For example, Naruto and Code Geass are bad (fite me fanboys) but they still can be called classics

Jan 25, 2019 2:21 AM
Mar 2011
Manga / anime that hadmain strne opop culture imoact first and foremost
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 25, 2019 2:23 AM
Mar 2011
Nemo_Niemand said:
I don't agree with quality part. For example, Naruto and Code Geass are bad (fite me fanboys) but they still can be called classics

Nother of them are classcls sunrsie only true classc is gundam as the huge Gundam staute in down town Odaiba will atest tp that
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 25, 2019 3:06 AM

Jan 2010
I would say it's smth that is famous and good enough to be watched and liked by most people, not just anime-viewers. And even if you didn't watch them you definitely heard about them and perhaps can recognise the characters. Like:
Ghibli movies (Mononoke, KAmikakushi, Howl, Totoro, etc)
Sailor Moon
NGE
Clamp series
Hellsing
Shonens like Shaman King, Pokemon, Naruto
and many other
Jan 25, 2019 3:21 AM
Dec 2016
imo I feel like a classic series would be one that you hear everyone talking about and despite how long ago it may have aired merchandise is still at conventions, official or fanmade. It shows a strong fanbase and thus strong cultural impact
For that you'd have
- Sailor Moon
- Black Butler
- K-On!
- Pokemom
Jan 25, 2019 3:23 AM

Aug 2013
Normally a classic is a work which stood the test of time. Modern anime itself is pretty young a medium to say it stood the test of time, but saying that any less than 20yo anime is a "classic" is pretty stupid. Some anime that were mentioned like Code Geass and Steins;Gate are barely a decade old, not to say Kimi no na wa. Popularity is a terrible (and completely wrong) way to attest classic status.

I'd say a classic anime is both still heavily mentioned after at least two decades after its release (and plus, not only by the anime medium) and was influential to a relevant degree.
Jan 25, 2019 3:28 AM

Apr 2018
Without a doubt, Urusei Yatsura! It was Rumiko's first work to be animated. On top of that, Lum is undoubtedly the original waifu (back in the day, Japanese boys would write letters to Rumi, saying how much they loved Lum). The whole show in general started a bunch of trends that are pretty common in anime now, and inspired other classics, such as Sailor Moon.
Jan 25, 2019 3:38 AM
Aug 2017
I'd say kimi no na wa is the most recent one. Also code geass, fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and death note.
Jan 25, 2019 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think "classic" means "masterpiece". Classic animes are old but still have a huge impact on the community. For example, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Tonari no Totoro, Hotaru no Haka, Ghost in the Shell, etc. Of course, Steins;Gate and Code Geass are masterpieces but they are not classic. Because a classic anime has to pass the test of time.
removed-userJan 25, 2019 4:07 AM
Jan 25, 2019 3:59 AM

Sep 2013
my answer would be anime that left a really big mark on the anime community or overall
Jan 25, 2019 4:09 AM

Feb 2016
Classic anime are just some good and old anime
Jan 25, 2019 4:10 AM

Mar 2017
something that's old and famous. it's all there is to it
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jan 25, 2019 4:45 AM

Feb 2010
A classic is a work of art of recognized and established value.

The question is recognized by whom? Usually it's some kind of 'elite' of a medium who come up with 'canon' lists of that medium, but the problem with anime is that such a circle doesn't really exist. There are no real established, professional anime critics or anything like that so the best alternative would be a survey among anime creators (directors, writers, animators, background artists etc...) and that is something the west does not have easy access to.

Or we can just do the mature thing that MAL loves and all list our random favorites and personal milestones.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 25, 2019 4:59 AM

Dec 2016
death note will definitely prove to be a classic in a decade or so. perhaps great teacher onizuka should also receive status of classic? that’s been going around 20 years, and still very well-liked + well known.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 25, 2019 5:01 AM

May 2018
Death Note, Code Geass, Madoka, TTGL are all classics.
Jan 25, 2019 5:02 AM
Aug 2018
I agree with those 2 on your list, but I would add:

Samurai Champloo and Dragon Ball Z
Jan 25, 2019 5:25 AM

May 2013
Anime that stood the test of time and are still being highly regarded by the anime community.

Jan 25, 2019 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
For me it would have to be:

- timeless, still relevant many years after its release

- other shows/films are often measured against it

- strong influence on future shows (a re-imagining of a genre for example)

Jan 25, 2019 5:37 AM
Mar 2011
none listed here are are in fact classics cause alot of them are ot ypong to of had a wider pop culture impact as of yet

that is how stuuf liek this should be judge and also Japanese tv ratings for tv anime Units sales for OVA and gross formoviesp in mist cases

and im taking orginak run ratings cause ones that got good foorst run ratings will wnat ot be kept laive bu re runs on BS/CS channels and places like aniplex

hence why you hadly see DBGT on aniplex while you will see DB and DBZ and 20 years yyu will not see kai
DateYutakaJan 25, 2019 5:41 AM

Jan 25, 2019 5:42 AM

Apr 2018
AuraStormLucario said:
What Is a classic anime? Well, needless to say, this is an extremely complicated question to answer. Even at best, objectivity in analyzing an anime will have some subjectivity, even if unconscious; this only becomes a greater problem given the ambiguity of the term "classic." With that said, if I had to define what a classic anime is, I would use two criterion:
  • This anime is of extremely high quality.
  • This anime had significant impact on the anime industry or a specific genre(s).

Before this becomes inconceivably convoluted, I will go ahead and list two Anime that I would consider to be classics.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion - while some could argue that this "isn't of extremely high quality," its lasting impact on the world is undeniable.
  • Cowboy Bebop - this is generally considered by most to be of extremely high quality, its impact in the west is hard to ignore.

Now onto the discussion part, I want to see what anime you all consider as classics using the two criteria that I listed. Needless to say, it is also of the utmost importance to explain why you believe the Anime you list is considered a classic. Additionally, if you have your own criteria for what you believe is considered a classic, please share below!

With all this said, let the discussion begin!
I would say evangelion, berserk and akira.
You can't ignore the impact of akira in the west. It's one of the anime which made anime popular in the west.
Jan 25, 2019 5:50 AM

Aug 2017
Something that exemplifies the best of its genre, on the medium, and makes you want to talk about them for years and years after they end.

Some examples:

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Death Note
  • Code Geass
  • TTGL
  • Monster
  • One Piece
  • Dragon Ball Franchise
  • Hunter x Hunter
Jan 25, 2019 5:55 AM

Dec 2015
To me old works which are still well known and stood the test of time are classics. Anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Versailles no Bara, the Original Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom and most Ghibli movies are examples of this.

DateYutaka said:
none listed here are are in fact classics cause alot of them are ot ypong to of had a wider pop culture impact as of yet

that is how stuuf liek this should be judge and also Japanese tv ratings for tv anime Units sales for OVA and gross formoviesp in mist cases

and im taking orginak run ratings cause ones that got good foorst run ratings will wnat ot be kept laive bu re runs on BS/CS channels and places like aniplex

hence why you hadly see DBGT on aniplex while you will see DB and DBZ and 20 years yyu will not see kai

I'd like to ask you which anime you'd call classics then, and I don't mean explain what a classic is because you already did but actual examples. And try to make it readable, please.
Jan 25, 2019 5:58 AM

Jan 2019
Code Geass is my favourite Show , i consider it a masterpiece -fite me haters-, but i wouldn't consider stuff like code geass/death note a Classic.

Classics are stuff like Dr. Slump Arale-chan, Dragonball, the Digimon/Pokemon Franchises ,Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Tsubasa

generally stuff released before <2000 and with a certain amount of exposure, there are a lot more classics imo.

But its such a loose term in general anyway.
Jan 25, 2019 6:11 AM

Nov 2016
I'm rather interested to know how people define a modern classic.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2019 6:18 AM

Oct 2017
Versailles No Bara
Lupin III part 2

Both Of TMS's most influential shows
Jan 25, 2019 6:19 AM
Mar 2011
holysauron said:
To me old works which are still well known and stood the test of time are classics. Anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Versailles no Bara, the Original Gundam, Tetsuwan Atom and most Ghibli movies are examples of this.

DateYutaka said:

I'd like to ask you which anime you'd call classics then, and I don't mean explain what a classic is because you already did but actual examples. And try to make it readable, please.

also i will exated the dferntion to incudle stuff that as been made in liev action drama ot move in in japan ofr manga cases
and not my own deferntion cuts out alot of anime or manga i rated 10

stuuff like Conan Chibi chan Gundam [ UC only and in the mian 0079] Dr Slump Kocho kame GTO 20 Seiki Shounen Anpanman Pocket Monsters[ the most sucsessfuk media francsie in the world]

Kaze to ki no Uta [ the first yaoi anime to sell huge ]

yuri has not had its Kazeki yet over all yes there been not top level Yirumanga and anime Marimite utena ot name two but buth the fatc marimite was based on a sreslied novelle style noovrl not manga so stopp it being mention

and also fpr manga most if not all works by y24g for there formtive effact on shojo manga and thus i some cases anime

Jan 25, 2019 6:22 AM
Mar 2011
FMmatron said:
I'm rather interested to know how people define a modern classic.

for tv anime most moderd classics you cannot judge sicen tv ratings are shit ofr most show in the topic of

unlees yu wish to judge tv anime like oVA withc people like ot seam ot do these days withc is wrong

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

37 by Chileno-12 »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

43 by DoisacChopper »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
7 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

36 by KenaiPhoenix »»
16 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

37 by ChrisBlitz »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.