Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 28, 2019 8:51 PM

Dec 2016
Blarey said:
It's rare we get one-cour adaptations that are equal to or better than the source material, although I would say this season is doing better than most in this regard since we have Kaguya-sama and Mob Psycho II that are doing great so far, but even those are still probably going to be rushed a little bit. It's always best to stick with the source material if you want to experience a series in it's entirety.

The view that source material is sacred and the only "correct" way to experience a story is a disease of the anime community it seems, or at least the one on MAL.

There are many ways to tell a story, especially when considering different mediums, and moving from say a manga to an animation provides an opportunity to improve and streamline the narrative.

Whether that is the case here is up for debate, but I take issue with the notion that every adaptation must be rushed or otherwise compromised.
Jan 28, 2019 9:56 PM

Nov 2013
SSL443 said:
Blarey said:
It's rare we get one-cour adaptations that are equal to or better than the source material, although I would say this season is doing better than most in this regard since we have Kaguya-sama and Mob Psycho II that are doing great so far, but even those are still probably going to be rushed a little bit. It's always best to stick with the source material if you want to experience a series in it's entirety.

The view that source material is sacred and the only "correct" way to experience a story is a disease of the anime community it seems, or at least the one on MAL.

There are many ways to tell a story, especially when considering different mediums, and moving from say a manga to an animation provides an opportunity to improve and streamline the narrative.

Whether that is the case here is up for debate, but I take issue with the notion that every adaptation must be rushed or otherwise compromised.

I didn’t say all adaptations, I said 12-13 episode adaptations. For Promised Neverland I figured everyone knew it would be rushed, since it would have to adapt at a rate of 3 chapters per episode to even reach the climax of the jailbreak arc. Once I heard it was one-cour my expectations were already lowered. That is not to say one-cour adaptations are usually sub-par either, but with a debut series getting a 12 episode adaptation, there is only so much they can fit in that amount of time so a lot of the time they are rushed to get to the end at the right time or they end abruptly.

I never said source material was the only correct way, I said that is the best way if you worry about certain things being lost in translation like inner monologue.
BlareyJan 28, 2019 10:07 PM
Jan 29, 2019 2:37 AM
Jun 2014
It took 1 minute of the voice acting and the frantic breathing in episode 1 (I just saw the last bit) too realize this anime was trash after having read the manga which I dropped don't see a point of watching it.

Another season were my crunchyroll account goes to waste
Jan 29, 2019 5:01 AM

Oct 2010
This thread is fun ro read. Anime watchers vs manga purists. I have the anime in my ptw though, and I didn't read the manga, the kids look dorky, why not make them older and more appealing? you have a girl there but she's too young, no sexy at all.
Jan 29, 2019 6:30 AM

Jun 2017
SSL443 said:

What is this?A logical and rational comment?
Someone report this
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 29, 2019 6:33 AM

Jun 2017
aleenya said:
I think adapting a manga like The Promised Neverland is difficult in the first place. The manga draws a ton of its tension from internal monologues, which is great in a written format, but translating it to screen is a whole other problem entirely. The manga will always be superior for this reason, and while it does feel rushed, I don't think it's a bad adaption - at least, not yet. The changes they have made felt in service to translating the series from manga to anime as seamlessly as possible.

It's not perfect, but it works, and I can appreciate the visual foreshadowing.

I agree, we have two very different mediums that require different treatments, and that have different audiences, i have friends who don't read the originals, they just watch the adaptations

But the original is always perfect and nothing must be changed from it, it's not like the term "adaptation" means anything, these shows should be named "copies", that would be much better
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Feb 4, 2019 12:42 AM

Aug 2015
I'm usually a anime only guy but the The Promised Neverland so far has been so hollow and lifeless so far.
The manga has a lot of things that the anime is lacking and the pacing is pretty messy.
Least it's not like A Certain Magical Index Season 3 and Tokyo Ghoul re where the anime adaptation was for thoses were dead on arrival.
Feb 4, 2019 3:27 AM

Aug 2018
Not read much of the source material and I do not feel the anime is 'missing' anything or the story has lost any tension or anything so I don't think it's a big deal. You always get the 'yeh but in the manga' crowd. The story isn't suffering and the quick pace is a good thing, the series is clearly promising more than just the orphanage and I for one wouldn't want this arc dragged out for internal monologues...seems unnecessary for the pacing of the animation and story.
I feel it's harsh to consider it a 'bad' adaptation, it seems to be doing exactly what it needs to... and the word 'adaptation' itself has lost all meaning if we are just wanting a glorified copy and paste exercise
Can I offer you an egg is this trying time?
Feb 4, 2019 3:41 AM
Aug 2016
It's a really poor adaptation but at least it's enjoyable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 4, 2019 4:04 AM

Feb 2016
This anime adaptation just hurts me.
Elfen Lied director and Cloverworks what the hell were you thinking...
Feb 4, 2019 10:36 AM

Jan 2013
People are really saying the pace is too fast? It's already one step away from becoming a snorefest, you want to make it even slower? Lmao.
fuyukiFeb 4, 2019 10:53 AM
Feb 4, 2019 10:46 AM

Sep 2017
Well actually this isn't a bad adaptation at all, I think they really did a fine job.

Tbh I dropped this earlier as the suspense revealed at the end of 1st episode was horrible and I felt bad, but then I wanted to again continue watching series and lo behold I was wrong, it was pretty good.
Here are pros:
~good horror elements
~freaking awesome soundtrack to match the situation.
~pacing is fast, so it doesn't get bored.
~good animation

Cons:
~Since the story is fast less character development
~Since horror elements are given preference, the battle of wits(b/w kids and MOM) which is the most unique thing in the new upcoming shonen genre is ignored.

Overall it's good adaptation, even I get feel still knowing what about to happen.
Feb 4, 2019 1:09 PM
Sep 2017
I cant say that its Bad but people said Shild hero is even worst.

I cant confirm since i didn't watch it.

Feb 4, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2013
It left out some parts, a bit disappointing, but I still do think its still enjoyable and exciting to watch overall. I'm gonna reserved my whole judgement after the last episode.
Feb 4, 2019 4:33 PM

Nov 2016
KingLeonard23 said:
uxuw said:
Is the skipped content important?
yes it is important. But still I feel like people are complaining too much. It's been a good adaptation, it's not being butchered left and right like Tokyo Ghoul was. But you could read the manga since it is technically better and it's more intense.

definitely agreed i started reading the manga after watching the first three episodes and it was an excellent decision. i still like the anime and i think it does work but the manga definitely gives you that inside perspective you don't get from the show. a moment of silence for tokyo ghoul and black butler.
"Before I slit your throat, I'll give you a kiss," Nezumi said softly. "You'll find out exactly how much better I am at giving farewell kisses."
Feb 7, 2019 12:14 PM

Apr 2017
KingLeonard23 said:
uxuw said:
Is the skipped content important?
yes it is important. But still I feel like people are complaining too much. It's been a good adaptation, it's not being butchered left and right like Tokyo Ghoul was. But you could read the manga since it is technically better and it's more intense.
the manga isn't really more intense, I think that stands only on what you consume first

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.