Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Jan 30, 2019 1:28 PM
Aug 2016
How did she get older in 1 week?!
Jan 30, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2009
What a stupid, horrible episode.

Wave one of the big bad "invasion" that is SO powerful it will supposedly destroy the world, and all of the monsters move in slow motion and don't attack anyone, and not a SINGLE person dies, not even any of the defenseless villagers. And the whole attack is over in like 15 minutes.
HauntholicJan 30, 2019 6:05 PM
Jan 30, 2019 6:22 PM
Jul 2018
Raphtalia is growing fast.
Jan 30, 2019 9:14 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi If your essentially saying "all in or go home", that's the only valid argument I can agree with. Glad to hear that not all who complained were simply against the implementation of false accusations and slavery. It makes far more sense for one to want more than for one to want less. However, what prevents the series from taking it to the next level is the fact that we aren't allowed to know any more than the MC. If it was written like Overlord, where we see characters moving behind the scenes, we'd have a far better story. I wish snowflakes, for lack of a better word, would pickup on this. It's not the controversial topics in the series that ruin the story. It's the lack of information the series provides its audience. It's probably the reason why you and other viewers feel slavery isn't taken seriously in the story. It, quite literally, isn't the focus of the story.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 30, 2019 10:50 PM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@malMaxi If your essentially saying "all in or go home", that's the only valid argument I can agree with.

I don't mind some stuff being hinted at obliquely and vaguely. However, some topics are just too much of landmine for that kind of lacking approach. Slavery is one of these topics.

It's not the controversial topics in the series that ruin the story. It's the lack of information the series provides its audience. It's probably the reason why you and other viewers feel slavery isn't taken seriously in the story. It, quite literally, isn't the focus of the story.

There is a difference between "ruining" the story and being its weakness. The treatment of slavery issues doesn't ruin the story for me, but it is definitely a weakness.
Jan 30, 2019 11:30 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi You can blame history classes for doing their job: teaching history. Slavery wouldn't be implemented into stories if authors were ignorant of its existence. Only reason we see it as a "landmine" is that we've been educated on the subject. Someone seeing it for the first time probably wouldn't see it as problematic unless more information was given on the subject. Regardless, we both see weaknesses in the story. Everyone can agree the story could've been written better. I just don't agree that landmines should be excluded from entertainment because of lack of execution. I pretty much explained why slavery was executed so poorly already. Still, the series creates a situation we wouldn't naturally see in RL. I wouldn't see that as a weakness, but rather a strength.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 31, 2019 6:24 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode.

Nice to see Raphtalia all grown up now.

Jan 31, 2019 7:04 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@malMaxi You can blame history classes for doing their job: teaching history. Slavery wouldn't be implemented into stories if authors were ignorant of its existence. Only reason we see it as a "landmine" is that we've been educated on the subject. Someone seeing it for the first time probably wouldn't see it as problematic unless more information was given on the subject. Regardless, we both see weaknesses in the story. Everyone can agree the story could've been written better. I just don't agree that landmines should be excluded from entertainment because of lack of execution. I pretty much explained why slavery was executed so poorly already. Still, the series creates a situation we wouldn't naturally see in RL. I wouldn't see that as a weakness, but rather a strength.

The history classes argument is weird. I straight up can't imagine a situation where we aren't taught about slavery in schools, except if maybe a society emerges that might want to reimplement slavery and therefore needs to limit the exposure of the public to accumulated knowledge of practices of slavery.

The reason people write stories about slavery is not because they were taught about it in schools, but because it is one of the ways to address a rather fundamental human conflict of having to rely on people without being able to trust them. It is a story we will always have to contend with in our actual lives, regardless of what is taught in schools. The fantasy of having a human being as a property will therefore never truly go away, as it is a solution (albeit a very poor one) to one of our fundamental problems.

The reason landmines are to be treated carefully is because if you don't treat them carefully, they explode. In this case, the explosion is taking the shape of turning off the people who most need the story that adequately handles trust and betrayal. TateYusha is actually a pretty naive story in that regard, despite all the posturing. And turning off people like that, believe it or not, does actually hurt the medium (because they then get turned off to isekai, and then to anime in general).

Though, in specifically TateYusha's case, this harm is probably balanced out by the show's actual intended audience (people who need a story about proper handling of righteous rage) actually getting proper catharsis. Because when it comes to repressed righteous fury - omg this show is good. Since i happen to relate to both categories, i am actually experiencing the dichotomy very clearly.

I won't get into strengths and weaknesses of art, unless you specifically ask me to :D. We are long-winded enough already.
Jan 31, 2019 12:31 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi I brought up history classes as an example. My real argument is, "would the ignorant write about something they have no knowledge of?" I'm pointing out that one either needs to experience it, be taught, or do their own research. There are groups of people in this world that do not yet have schools, believe it or not. You should also consider parents choosing not to put their child(ren) in school to instead help support their family. Say they only had the means to make a story based on their current knowledge. Sometimes inspiration for fictional stories just comes from dreams. Of course, history and parenting are what form our moral compass. So, you can imagine some other taboo making it's way into the story regardless of whether it was taught or not.

Storytelling isn't always intended to "address ... fundamental human conflict[s]." Saying horror is the only genre with a free pass isn't really fair. I probably said this elsewhere, but instead of seeing slavery as a plot device, it can simply be a part of the setting and nothing more. Same goes for settings with death, murder, stealing, etc... It doesn't have to be horror to be well suited to handle taboo subject matters. As mentioned before, Shield Hero isn't really trying to handle slavery as a subject matter. We're free to imagine what we'd do in the MC's predicament, but we shouldn't feel the need to change the setup to suit our needs. The goal of fiction is to describe imaginary events and people. Slavery may not be imaginary, but its implementation in Shield Hero is. There is no convenient magical "slave crest" that makes it impossible for the slave to defy their master. In RL, the master must instill fear to foster obedience, and this was usually hands one. Only way around it would be threatening family and friends, or some form of bribery or blackmail. These are taboos that aren't really considered slavery, but produce the same effect and there's nothing horrific about them.

Expecting every landmine to be handled carefully in anime is asking too much. I'd rather not compare a fictional story with RL or with some other fictional story that handles it better if I'm watching it for something else entirely. In a nutshell, we watch anime for entertainment. It's a means of killing time. When we realize we have better ways to spend our time, we are free to do so; such as finding a "story that adequately handles trust and betrayal." It just means the story was intended for a different audience as you stated. There's always going to be people who are turned off about something in a story. It doesn't even have to be justified. It's weird that we even try to justify what turns us off. As far as the visuals in Shield Hero, I hate the close ups. It screams "laziness", though it's understandable to zoom-in on facial expressions. Fan service speaks for itself. Not enough to make me stop watching altogether though. If visuals were the only issue, all I'd have to do is read the LN instead. I've read the WN already, so the story is somewhat spoiled for me. I'm pretty much just waiting for word on how the LN's ending compares to the WN's.
ReloadJan 31, 2019 6:46 PM
Feb 2, 2019 2:08 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
My real argument is, "would the ignorant write about something they have no knowledge of?"

We do it all the time. Especially in sci-fi and fairytale genres.
So, you can imagine some other taboo making it's way into the story regardless of whether it was taught or not.

So, is your point that you can't write about taboos without knowing about them or that you can write about taboos without knowning about them?

Storytelling isn't always intended to "address ... fundamental human conflict[s]."

The author's intent can be different. However, literally every single time i ever heard anyone speak coherently about what they actually got out of story (regardless of what the author intended to put in it), it was always about some fundamental human conflict.

It is not impossible that i may be in a bit on a bubble on that topic, so feel free to try and burst it. It has, however, proven surprisingly resilient over time, though.

Saying horror is the only genre with a free pass isn't really fair.

Not sure what you mean by "fair".
Horror, on the level of trappings of the genre, deals with character disempowerment, characters being at the mercy of a superior force with impenetrable motives, characters being put into positions where they are compelled to do horrible things against their better judgement or intentions. It shouldn't be a surprise that horror is much better able to deal with issues of slavery than other genres.

I probably said this elsewhere, but instead of seeing slavery as a plot device, it can simply be a part of the setting and nothing more. Same goes for settings with death, murder, stealing, etc...

Sadly, no. The reason i'm saying that is because slavery just doesn't have the history of being as easily ignored as death, murder and stealing.

This is probably because there are circumstances where death, murder and stealing can be justified without comprimising the depth of the story. We can have heroes that kill people, heroes that die and heroes that steal. We almost never see heroes that own slaves. And when we do, it comes at the expence of significantly downplaying the implications of their ability to own slaves.

Please note that this is not an argument towards whether such a hero can be created, but rather an argument to lack of comparable extent of empirical existence of such heroes in fiction. Which then leads me to conclude that, even if such heroes can be created, there are disadvantages to creating them.

It doesn't have to be horror to be well suited to handle taboo subject matters. As mentioned before, Shield Hero isn't really trying to handle slavery as a subject matter.

Horror provides a better baseline for handling slavery, but yeah, talented authors can get more done with less. However, they can't do it if they don't treat slavery as subject matter, which you agree SH doesn't do.

We're free to imagine what we'd do in the MC's predicament, but we shouldn't feel the need to change the setup to suit our needs. The goal of fiction is to describe imaginary events and people. Slavery may not be imaginary, but its implementation in Shield Hero is. There is no convenient magical "slave crest" that makes it impossible for the slave to defy their master. In RL, the master must instill fear to foster obedience, and this was usually hands one. Only way around it would be threatening family and friends, or some form of bribery or blackmail. These are taboos that aren't really considered slavery, but produce the same effect and there's nothing horrific about them.

And yet people do feel the need to change the setup to fit their needs. Are they wrong? Also i disagree tha the goal of fiction is to be imaginary. Being imaginary is a tool of fiction, but there is nothing imaginary about fiction's goals. In that regard, the fact that SH's slavery is fantastic is not doing it any favours either.

Expecting every landmine to be handled carefully in anime is asking too much.

Not really. Just don't talk about stuff you are not interested in really considering, how hard is that?

I'd rather not compare a fictional story with RL or with some other fictional story that handles it better if I'm watching it for something else entirely. In a nutshell, we watch anime for entertainment. It's a means of killing time.

No.
Just because to you anime is just about killing time doesn't mean that's all it is or all it can be.

When we realize we have better ways to spend our time, we are free to do so; such as finding a "story that adequately handles trust and betrayal." It just means the story was intended for a different audience as you stated. There's always going to be people who are turned off about something in a story. It doesn't even have to be justified. It's weird that we even try to justify what turns us off.

Believe it or not, without a clear understanding of what works and what doesn't in a story, it is kinda hard to really find ones that work. Which is why we talk about it.

As far as the visuals in Shield Hero, I hate the close ups. It screams "laziness", though it's understandable to zoom-in on facial expressions.

Justified closeups is not laziness though? In fact, if you achieve more with less effort, this is actually a sign of good professional ability.

Fan service speaks for itself. Not enough to make me stop watching altogether though. If visuals were the only issue, all I'd have to do is read the LN instead. I've read the WN already, so the story is somewhat spoiled for me. I'm pretty much just waiting for word on how the LN's ending compares to the WN's.

I only read the LN up to the Staff really coming into play, so can't really help you there. I know that there are at least two volumes already released beyond that, too (don't know whether they end the story).
Feb 2, 2019 12:04 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi Guess I contradicted myself to some extent. The sci-fi and fantasy genre do require some research if one is putting a remix on old ideas. Inspiration can come from aspirations or folklore as well. Advanced technology and magical abilities are things we wish we could experience due to not experiencing it in RL. Both points apply though. "You can't write about taboos without knowing about them", but "you can write about taboos without [knowing] about them" if you don't see them as taboos. This falls under "experience." One can have a good or bad experience with roller coasters the same as one could have a good or bad experience with slavery. One can even go so far as calling "roller coasters" taboo, and that it should never be spoken of again because it brings up bad memories.

Civilians today haven't really experienced slavery, so we use the memories from what we've been taught or experienced to decided whether it's taboo. I'd agree, even history books have bias. If slavery was abolished, it must have been bad. However, not everything that get's abolished implies it's bad. Same applies to the establishment of new ideas. Just because there was a need to establish them doesn't imply they're good either. As for the implementation in literature, who are we to decide whether it's taboo or not? The fact that we even write about slavery defeats the purpose of it being taboo. I suppose the statement stories that have slavery in them make is that "it's not taboo."

By "fair", I mean slavery can exist in historical works without it being horror. Saying it should be hidden within the work because it isn't horror or isn't the main focus shows unfairness. Your description of horror actually describes SH even though it isn't horror.
...deals with character disempowerment, characters being at the mercy of a superior force with impenetrable motives, characters being put into positions where they are compelled to do horrible things against their better judgement or intentions.
In this series, that horrible thing is slavery, but it doesn't have to be portrayed horrifically to get the point across. In such cases, it's not the genre, but the intended audience that determines whether it's taboo or not. This usually goes by age, but everyone has their own taste. Horror is geared toward an audience that doesn't mind the sight of blood and death. Same can be said of slavery. A story can be geared towards an audience that doesn't mind the depiction of slavery.

Finding a "hero that [owns] slaves" is a unique trait of a story because "we almost never see" it. You admit they do exist. Only disadvantage I see here is that it makes the hero unrelatable to the audience. Can't say that's an area I can relate to when it comes to the hero, but there are usually other areas where I can relate. Saying slavery is "fantastic" in this series is an exaggeration. Slavery is often for the sake of convenience. I don't see being "convenient" as being "fantastic." Saying it's fantastic isn't really putting yourself in the MC's shoes either. Now that I think about it, readers that have complaints on the matter don't ever bring up the MC's feelings toward owning a slave. Convenience doesn't really have much to do with feelings to begin with. As you put it, it's "against their better judgement or intentions."

Just don't talk about stuff you are not interested in really considering...
However, it is taken into consideration within the series. It's just not as elaborate as you'd want it to be, which is why I boiled down your argument to "All in or go home." It's true that entertainment can be more than just entertainment, but expecting it to be more in every case is setting yourself up for disappointment. As for finding what works and what doesn't, it usually comes down to the individuals opinion. Sharing said opinion is fine, but forcing it on others is overkill. I'd advise just sharing among friends since we know them best. Not talking about you, but haters tend to love to hate. You can't really call their complains "[talking] about it." I'd describe them as venting without an open mind.

Not calling SH lazy on all the closeups, but one can get the gist of emotions without them having to. My complaints don't really fall on dramatic scenes as much as they do on action scenes. During the wave, we didn't see the AOE used take out the skeletons because we were zoomed in on the MC and Raphtalia the whole time. Nearly every time the MC blocked something, we didn't see him run in front of the people he was protecting, nor did we hear any foot steps leading up to it. It was as if he teleported to the location in the nick of time. These are the visuals, as well as audio, where the closeups felt lazy for not including them. Justified closeups I understand when there's nothing else going on around it, but failing to show something that is happening defeats the purpose of a visual driven adaptation.
Feb 2, 2019 12:12 PM

Apr 2007
I'll just leave this here because I'm more than done with debating slavery with strangers. For cuteness.

It does bring up a good point though. He treats the "slave" better than he treats himself and he puts himself in all of the danger and does all of the manual labor...Her only real job was to deal the finishing blow of monsters. Anything beyond that was of her own choice.
KilluanFeb 2, 2019 12:15 PM
Feb 2, 2019 5:55 PM
Feb 3, 2019 10:33 AM

Jul 2008
The other heroes and knights are a bunch of worthless dicks.
Feb 4, 2019 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
How did the girl grow this much from one episode to the other? She was pretty small, last time I checked. And what's with her change in personality? Did I miss a 10-year timeskip? It's like they completely scrapped everything they had before and completely remade her. Dropped, I guess.
Feb 4, 2019 10:53 AM

Apr 2007
Milennin said:
How did the girl grow this much from one episode to the other? She was pretty small, last time I checked. And what's with her change in personality? Did I miss a 10-year timeskip? It's like they completely scrapped everything they had before and completely remade her. Dropped, I guess.
it's explained next episode
Feb 5, 2019 12:57 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@malMaxi Guess I contradicted myself to some extent. The sci-fi and fantasy genre do require some research if one is putting a remix on old ideas. Inspiration can come from aspirations or folklore as well. Advanced technology and magical abilities are things we wish we could experience due to not experiencing it in RL. Both points apply though. "You can't write about taboos without knowing about them", but "you can write about taboos without [knowing] about them" if you don't see them as taboos. This falls under "experience." One can have a good or bad experience with roller coasters the same as one could have a good or bad experience with slavery. One can even go so far as calling "roller coasters" taboo, and that it should never be spoken of again because it brings up bad memories.

You are arguing against the kind of person that would forbid people from writing about stuff on account of perceptions and feelings. I am not that person. My position is: the reason you don't approach taboos lightly is because approaching them lightly results in mediocrity with niche appeal at best, disaster at worst. And that's irrespective of notions of taste, because taboos don't speak to taste, they speak to objective fundamentals of art.

However, i must say that, as of ep.4, TateYuusha specifically did somewhat redeem itself on the point of slavery by showing that it has a decent appreciation of discourse around it (did you notice how discussion of slavery in Ep.4 featured a surprising amount of points that were discussed here in this thread?), as well as even rendering a sort of judgement (Raftalia's closing argument to Motoyasu, to the effect of "if you are so much for freedom of fellow humanoids, where is the slave whom you made free?"), to which Motoyasu has no immediate answer, while Malty flies straight into "you are not even human" rhethoric (thus automatically losing the argument). This bit didn't really stand out to me in the novel, but the anime really made it work.

This is, of course, not the end of slavery discussion. Motoyasu himself stumbles upon the even more fundamental truth before the episode is out ("hero owning slaves is wrong"). However, i'd say, at the end of the day, my worry that TateYusha is biting off more than it could chew proved unfounded. It bit off exactly as much as it could chew through in the opening ark :D

Civilians today haven't really experienced slavery, so we use the memories from what we've been taught or experienced to decided whether it's taboo. I'd agree, even history books have bias. If slavery was abolished, it must have been bad. However, not everything that get's abolished implies it's bad. Same applies to the establishment of new ideas. Just because there was a need to establish them doesn't imply they're good either. As for the implementation in literature, who are we to decide whether it's taboo or not? The fact that we even write about slavery defeats the purpose of it being taboo. I suppose the statement stories that have slavery in them make is that "it's not taboo."

Again, i will disagree. If something is abolished, it was bad in some way. At least, as far as people doing the abolishing were concerned. Slavery specifically was an inefficient economic system that couldn't compete with wage labout systems.

What is taboo and what is not is not decided by any single one of us, but it can still be decided. The reason taboos become taboos is because they elicit a significant emotional reaction from a significant amount of people (even if some individuals are unaffected). The reason you don't approach taboos lightly is not because somewhere someone forbade it, but because the reaction will burn you and, for all the trouble, you are rewarded with a very limited audience of the minority of the unaffected.

I will grant you that, over time, the amount of unaffected can change, to the point of them becoming majority. This is where imaginary things like perceptions have a real and objective impact, resulting in a what is called "detabooisation". This process, however, is not in itself a neutral happy thing. Consider, for a second, what it really means to be neutral about slave ownership in a society predicated on individual human rights. In order to have human rights, slavery must remain taboo.

By "fair", I mean slavery can exist in historical works without it being horror. Saying it should be hidden within the work because it isn't horror or isn't the main focus shows unfairness. Your description of horror actually describes SH even though it isn't horror.
...deals with character disempowerment, characters being at the mercy of a superior force with impenetrable motives, characters being put into positions where they are compelled to do horrible things against their better judgement or intentions.
In this series, that horrible thing is slavery, but it doesn't have to be portrayed horrifically to get the point across. In such cases, it's not the genre, but the intended audience that determines whether it's taboo or not. This usually goes by age, but everyone has their own taste. Horror is geared toward an audience that doesn't mind the sight of blood and death. Same can be said of slavery. A story can be geared towards an audience that doesn't mind the depiction of slavery.

SH would be horror if Naofumi's deepest fears were correct representation of his new reality. The whole point of SH is that Naofumi needs to get out of his own ass and realise that this isn't some horror scenario. SH is not geared towards people who don't mind depictions of slavery because it doesn't depict actual slavery, but rather depitcs a single case of extremely convenient (therefore fantastic) variation of slavery that is very much an outlier.

Finding a "hero that [owns] slaves" is a unique trait of a story because "we almost never see" it. You admit they do exist. Only disadvantage I see here is that it makes the hero unrelatable to the audience. Can't say that's an area I can relate to when it comes to the hero, but there are usually other areas where I can relate. Saying slavery is "fantastic" in this series is an exaggeration. Slavery is often for the sake of convenience. I don't see being "convenient" as being "fantastic." Saying it's fantastic isn't really putting yourself in the MC's shoes either. Now that I think about it, readers that have complaints on the matter don't ever bring up the MC's feelings toward owning a slave. Convenience doesn't really have much to do with feelings to begin with. As you put it, it's "against their better judgement or intentions."

Again, you are talking to someone who has issues with Naofumi's motivations or actions. I am not that someone.

If you alter a thing for conveniece so much it becomes completely unlike every other instance of that thing that ever existed in reality, then the thing becomes fantastical. In fiction, you do that to bring to the forefront some aspects you want to focus on and hide aspects you don't want to focus on. SH wanted to focus on Naofumi caring for Raftalia and teaching her to fight, and therefore abstracted everything else. The reason it works is because
(1) Naofumi himself doesn't much care for everything else, so it is a good way to get in his headspace
(2) Everyone around Naofumi cares mostly about the abstracted parts, which helps to paint the picture of injustice and inadequacy surrounding him.

Note how this only works because Naofumi slavery is not actually slavery.

However, it is taken into consideration within the series. It's just not as elaborate as you'd want it to be, which is why I boiled down your argument to "All in or go home." It's true that entertainment can be more than just entertainment, but expecting it to be more in every case is setting yourself up for disappointment.

And in one case out of a few dozen where there is a hope of something other than a disppointment, i am perfectly fine expecting more. Occasionally, these expectations are even met :D

As for finding what works and what doesn't, it usually comes down to the individuals opinion. Sharing said opinion is fine, but forcing it on others is overkill. I'd advise just sharing among friends since we know them best. Not talking about you, but haters tend to love to hate. You can't really call their complains "[talking] about it." I'd describe them as venting without an open mind.

Are you kidding? Haters are the single most important thing anyone pursuing a serious understanding of a work of art can have! Our discussion wouldn't have been half as juicy, were it not for the other guy in the thread who made a great hater case.

Not calling SH lazy on all the closeups, but one can get the gist of emotions without them having to. My complaints don't really fall on dramatic scenes as much as they do on action scenes. During the wave, we didn't see the AOE used take out the skeletons because we were zoomed in on the MC and Raphtalia the whole time. Nearly every time the MC blocked something, we didn't see him run in front of the people he was protecting, nor did we hear any foot steps leading up to it. It was as if he teleported to the location in the nick of time. These are the visuals, as well as audio, where the closeups felt lazy for not including them. Justified closeups I understand when there's nothing else going on around it, but failing to show something that is happening defeats the purpose of a visual driven adaptation.

I will grant you a certain lack of polish in SH. It is nowhere near enough the level of "defeating the purpose of a visual adaptation", though. Furthermore, the most benefit i get out of visual adaptations is usually not in action scenes (because nothing can really beat what i imagine when i read), but in dialogues, where a visual adaptation is able to add body language and scene composition to just words.
Feb 5, 2019 12:13 PM

Aug 2017
Bitch and the Spear hero are back.

Good fight. Naofumi and Raphtalia make a good team.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 5, 2019 4:20 PM

Feb 2011
@malMaxi Apologies if I started to mistake you for one of the many other members I've spoken to. It appears I interpreted "fantastic" incorrectly when I read your comment. After looking it up, I would agree that "fantastic" is an appropriate term. Seems we agree in most areas. I suppose I'm in the opinion that SH doesn't take slavery lightly, even if it's neutral for the most part. Glad episode 4 cleared up most of the discord, but waiting for said episode was all haters had to do to get their questions answered. You can't say every hater had a good case. Most were impatient, bias after being spoiled, or didn't like the end of the WN. Discussing future content that hasn't even aired yet isn't really grounds to judge the adaptation as a whole. As you've repeated, your not one of those people. Your a nice change of pace from other members I've read within the forums. Thanks for not being one of them. Can't say I did the greatest job articulating my points, so thanks for being patient with me as well.
ReloadFeb 5, 2019 4:27 PM
Feb 5, 2019 8:22 PM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
Man i'm loving this anime. Seeing our shield hero progress and become more hateful towards the kingdom is truly entertaining to watch. His utter spiral of what was once confusion to this now dark and uncaring individual is something that the show captures so perfectly to me. Raph is also growing and keeping our protagonist in check which was a good move to me by the writers. The battle that took place in the village showed that the Shield Hero still has good in him even after all that the kingdom has done. I feel as if the shield itself is truly the greatest weapon and it will just take time for everyone to realize it. This show has great potential!
Feb 6, 2019 6:54 AM
Jan 2019
Reload said:
@malMaxi Apologies if I started to mistake you for one of the many other members I've spoken to. It appears I interpreted "fantastic" incorrectly when I read your comment. After looking it up, I would agree that "fantastic" is an appropriate term. Seems we agree in most areas. I suppose I'm in the opinion that SH doesn't take slavery lightly, even if it's neutral for the most part. Glad episode 4 cleared up most of the discord, but waiting for said episode was all haters had to do to get their questions answered. You can't say every hater had a good case. Most were impatient, bias after being spoiled, or didn't like the end of the WN. Discussing future content that hasn't even aired yet isn't really grounds to judge the adaptation as a whole. As you've repeated, your not one of those people. Your a nice change of pace from other members I've read within the forums. Thanks for not being one of them. Can't say I did the greatest job articulating my points, so thanks for being patient with me as well.

Glad to have been of some help :)
I'm actually kinda interested in how it all ends at this point, so i'll go get spoiled :D
Feb 7, 2019 3:31 PM

Sep 2011
I certainly didn't expect Raphtalia to grow so fast. I guess it has to do with her being a demi-human and leveling up. I wish she would have stayed younger just so we can have a bit more bonding with Naofumi teaching and protecting her, but I like her now as well.
Everyone is an asshole, just like before. I mean corrupt knights and "heroes" are a troupe after all, but I can't wait to see when he can finally clear his name. I'm sure at least one of those heroes will go through some shit and have to be rescued by Naofumi. Or that bitch might decieve spear-hero as well.
Mar 7, 2019 2:39 PM

Nov 2016
So Raphtalia grew and it's because levels, she's still 10. And Naofumi don't seem to mind or notice her appearance probably because his trauma but he have the safety that she won't betray him because is his slave, so he's kind to her. More than that this episode was focused in how Naofumi and Raphtalia saved the town while the rest of the heroes focused on the boss, like a person that just focus in winning, one reason could be that they don't think that world like their home or even real and more like a game. Anyways didn't like as much this episode compared to the rest, most probably because the fight focused. Still good episode.
Mar 7, 2019 6:00 PM

Jul 2013
Why does everyone suddenly like Raphtalia, excluding that bitch Motoyasu, didn't everyone despise the demi-humans? That's why they enslave them right? Anyway, I prefer the tiny Raphtalia but the adult one is not so bad.
Mar 8, 2019 12:48 AM

Nov 2011
PrimeX said:
Why does everyone suddenly like Raphtalia, excluding that bitch Motoyasu, didn't everyone despise the demi-humans? That's why they enslave them right? Anyway, I prefer the tiny Raphtalia but the adult one is not so bad.
Not everyone is racist/dicks.
Mar 16, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2014
Good episode. I feel like even though I despise unwarranted edginess, and Naofumi was definitely edgier in the manga, there was much more insight into his thoughts and overall frustration compared to the anime scenes.

The shields were cool, and setting fire to the tower was a smart move. The other heroes are assholes, nothing new here lol
May 8, 2019 8:41 AM

Apr 2019
Ugh, it always gets my blood boiling when the other heroes show up. And when the spear hero tried to get Raphtalia on his team, i want him to die in a battle so much

RazielZero said:
Or that bitch might decieve spear-hero as well.

i really hope she does.
AikaRenMay 8, 2019 8:45 AM
May 30, 2019 4:16 AM

Dec 2013
So Rapthalia grew up pretty fast. I wonder what will the weapon owner would like to say about demi humans? And I hope the rumours won't affect Rapthalia if she found out about it. At least there are still good King's Knights that helped them fight during the wave.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 3, 2019 10:33 PM

Jul 2016
Ehh... is Motoyasu retarded or does he just think with his dick? I mean, Malty isn't even trying to hide she's a bitch anymore...

Anyways, this was another nice episode. Both Naofumi and Raphtalia showed some nice teamwork during the wave and I'm also glad some villagers and soldiers are starting to appreciate his efforts as a Hero.
Jun 17, 2019 8:58 PM
Apr 2018
The sword hero is the most annoying for me. He is such a smartass. Fuck that guy.
Jun 27, 2019 6:27 AM

Sep 2012
he should tell her abut the false rape accusation, she will belive him blindly anyway, she has learn a lot about him

Milennin said:

i did some reading though its explained later, demi humans grow with lvl ups at least when in pt of a hero

SaiDrew said:
The sword hero is the most annoying for me. He is such a smartass. Fuck that guy.

spear hero is wors, the blond, tried to take raph away from him

AikaRen said:
Ugh, it always gets my blood boiling when the other heroes show up. And when the spear hero tried to get Raphtalia on his team, i want him to die in a battle so much

RazielZero said:
Or that bitch might decieve spear-hero as well.

i really hope she does.

same here, that jerk deserves it 😁

Sugram22Jun 27, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 22, 2019 9:30 PM

Jul 2013
I didn't expect Raphtalia to grow up so fast, but it makes sense that it's associate with the level ups. Funny how Naofumi himself didn't even noticed it :D

You can also tell that Raphtalia developed in character. She isn't the little shy girl. If she wants something she fights for it. It's also crazy to see all these skills Naofumis shield learned. No wonder he has no more overview about it.

He and Raphtalia visited the dragon hourglass for the first time. The first wave wasn't far. Of course they also had to see the other heroes. God I hate these guys, such cocky idiots. What made me really mad was the fact that spear guy tried to get Raphtalia on his team. I hate them as much as Naofumi does. I hope someday he will talk with Raphtalia about it.

And then the first big fight began. Was a good amount of action where Naofumi and Raphtalia protected the people of Lute. After all what happened to Naofumi I was glad to see when these people were grateful to him for what he did. Pretty fast level ups. They both over level 20 from what I saw. Let's see what happens next.

Aug 2, 2019 12:30 PM

May 2013
Yey, Raph is stronger :) Ajin develops faster than humans do, I see :P
Loved her angry face when the a-hole knights were being dicks to Nao lol. She adores him ^^ as she should, hahah

I'm really liking this anime. Nao is so kind <3
Oct 3, 2019 4:30 AM
Dec 2017
im getting bit hype. each episode make me addicted. Glad to see some knight helping Neo
Oct 18, 2019 3:58 AM

Mar 2015
Raphtalia grew up, and now that son of a bitch wants her!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 7, 2020 3:30 PM
Apr 2018
3rd. party interfering in an duel and noone semms to care what a bullshit story
Aug 24, 2020 10:31 PM

Aug 2019
that was definitely one hell of an episode, really liking the story rn, getting a glimpse of a wave was definitely something, i guess it really lives up to it's name with the wave of enemies huh.

Raphtalia has definitely um, spiked? In terms of physical age growth. In about a week she definitely managed to significantly grow, my guess is, it's something to do with being demi-human? Either way she's still pretty cute when she trys to act grown up i cannot lie there, big protect.

Naofumi with the big plays, really playing the unsung hero right now. While the other 2 heroes and brain dead mongrel that holds a spear just go for the VIP, Naofumi defending the village as best as he can, really like that. Dude pulled some pretty big plays with all the skills he had at his disposal but ultimately the loses were still pretty bad, but pretty rad that the soldiers who had honour decided to help out.

Cannot stress this enough, ass hat spear man and Malty, really pushing my buttons rn, i 110% wanted Naofumi to pummel his ass after touching Raphtalia. People like these 2 have a special reserved place in hell.
Oct 8, 2020 7:37 PM
Jul 2013
Literally cried during this episode 😭
Especially towards the end
Jan 8, 2021 7:41 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The pace really disturbed me a bit there. Well, its only the first 3 episodes. So I have to wait to see how it all ends. But, ah, shit, rest in peace, loli Raphtalia. Its looks like they still hide the reason behind of why Raphtalia was so fuckin fast to growing like that. Its about the demi-human lore. I thought they might've showed it a bit, and showed how she progressed until she reached that level. But, well, its not the time, yet! And its not even the direction of this episode. But, still, i kinda expect something more epic from that battle, but oh well! Thats it! Its already over with Raphtalia loyalty that went into something far.

In my point of view, this episode actually directed a feeling of a surrounding against the bad spreading rumour, and more importantly how Naofumi handled that dire situations. While the other heroes looked very shit looking, especially with that spear hero and his harem. They already signed the typical MC, When Naofumi actually still stay true did his mission as a hero. Whose the real MC there? Ofc, him. But, with that kind of hatred against the previous rumours, that Naofumi might had a doubt about his surroundings. By saving the village, its clear that he might had some kind of changed in his heart. So, lets see how far that direction into. I don't wanna talk about Raphtalia and her changed behaviour, yet. Because so far, it might led into a clicheness. So, better, left it aside first into getting more knowledge first against what happened in the next episode. So be it, then!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 10, 2021 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
For a moment I thought Naofumi would just let the undead slaughter the knights, that would have been some sweet revenge. So while he acts like an anti-hero, unfortunately he's not.
Mar 10, 2021 3:56 AM

Oct 2020
Damn Raphtalia grew so much in just 1 week
Nov 14, 2021 1:32 PM

Jul 2017
I know it's only the first wave but that whole thing felt really underwhelming to me. I know the Spear Hero's also being manipulated by Myne but I don't like how overly antagonistic the presences of all three heroes other than Naofumi have been, I get its to contrast the anti-hero in Naofumi but the story does it in such an extreme and forced way without nuance that it feels corny more than anything. This was rough to get through. Raphtalia's nice like in the previous watch but... that's about it with her. Everyone in this series so far feels way too basic and one-note.
Nov 22, 2021 9:15 AM
Nov 2020
The way Raphtalia instantly got mad about the soldiers possibly hurting Naofumi is why I love her so much, she wasn’t having none of that.
Dec 16, 2021 6:50 AM

Jul 2021
In this episode there was the first wave of monsters that occurred in this anime and it was very well done. It was good to see how Naofumi and Raphtalia became more friends. It was also good to see that some soldiers are giving Naofumi a chance.
This gratitude from the villagers will likely result in something in the future.
asdasdsadad
Feb 4, 2022 9:15 AM

Jul 2021
Man no way this episode was of 23 minutes. Went by in a flash.

She became a woman in just 1 week? Damn.

We got both pout Raphtalia and blushing Raphtalia in one episode.

The fight scenes were pretty cool, enjoyed it. Raphtalia has now become very good at killing monsters and Naofumi has developed his shielding skills quite a bit too.

First wave for the heroes has passed now. Next should be more difficult if I had to guess.

It was nice to see the villagers thanking Naofumi and stuff, though I can understand why he didn't want their gratitude.

Tears after getting head-pats and praise from your beloved Naofumi sama was totally understandable.

Great episode. 5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 7, 2022 7:02 AM

Apr 2021
Is it really necessary for the other heroes as well as the king's knights to belittle the Shield Hero that much???
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Apr 22, 2022 12:43 AM
Sep 2020
Honestly this show pisses me off w/ how many ass characters there are (°ㅂ°╬)

It's so frustrating to watch, I can't.
May 4, 2022 1:20 PM

Jun 2015
Never mind! This is the Raphtalia I know and she does look like Holo.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 23, 2023 7:16 AM

Jul 2015
Hold on, I know kids grow fast but seeing Raphtalia grown up (appearance-wise) was surprising.
Besides that, its nice to see Lute villagers being grateful to Naofumi'and by the looks of it also part of the royal knights seeing his true side.

Aug 23, 2023 1:32 AM

Dec 2022
Raphtalia grows fast. Motoyasu is a lecherous fucker though. Guy needs to keep his mitts off of her. He has a party full of girls and still tries superficial flirting on someone from a completely different party?

Helping these villages might be a pragmatic move. It could end up inciting more people in the realm to try and clear Naofumi's name once his observed good deeds have more impact than Myne's anecdotal accusations.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Today, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2019

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.