Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
is senjougahara from monogatari really a tsundere?
Jan 19, 2019 4:10 AM

Oct 2017
I made another post asking for recommendations of shows with good tsundere characters as well as asking who their best tsundere was, and a lot of people said senjougahara was their favourite tsundere but some people also said they don't see her as a tsundere because she's straightforward about her feelings and speaks her mind very clearly and often

so what are your thoughts on this very important global discussion
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 19, 2019 4:22 AM

Apr 2017
I'm a bit torn when it comes to this. She does have some tsundere-like characteristics, but since tsundere is defined as someone dishonest to their true feelings, I also feel like she does not quite fit tsundere archetype. She can be mildly abusive, but she is also pretty direct, and doesn't hide her feelings with this abusiveness. Therefore I feel that she doesn't qualify as tsundere.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 19, 2019 4:29 AM

Apr 2017
Not a tsundere, she's just a bit of a cunt.

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Jan 19, 2019 4:31 AM

Apr 2017
A bit cold-hearted but no, I don't think we can consider her as a tsundere
Jan 19, 2019 4:51 AM

Nov 2009
Unikkatil said:
From what I see she seems like sadism

^This. I thought she was a sadodere. She seems to enjoy toying with Araragi's emotions rather than pretending to not have feelings for him.
Jan 19, 2019 5:01 AM

Jul 2017
Nope. Admitting to be a tsundere is guaranteed you're not a tsundere in the first place.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Jan 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Feb 2018
I have only seen bakemonogatari, but to me it seemed like she was just a sadist.
I bet she is a dominatrix.
Jan 19, 2019 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
She ain't one, for all I know. She just wants to be.
Jan 19, 2019 5:46 AM
Oct 2018
A tsundere is defined as someone whom is hostile to you at first and then warms up to you later on, which Senjougahara does, she just warms up much earlier than most other characters, but for good reason which I think definitely adds to her character.
Jan 19, 2019 5:53 AM

Feb 2011
No. Fuck no. Tsundere, for me, to begin with, is just a stage in a woman's life. They evolve from that. Senjougahara hasn't been and isn't in a tsundere phase. She is just playful with her emotions but wears them on her sleeve along with sharp objects. Don't fucking pit her in that lowly characterization. Senjougahara is true love.
Closer.
Jan 19, 2019 5:57 AM
Jan 2015
She roleplays as one from time to time, just to tease Koyomi, but no she's not a tsundere.
My Queens

Jan 19, 2019 7:05 AM

May 2017
She is a superb character to be called "tsundere".

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Feb 16, 2019 9:16 PM

Feb 2019
ZaBici said:
...along with sharp objects.

Well... to be fair. From what I got from Monogatari so far, the attacks with sharp objects against Koyomi - seen through Koyomi's lens and retrospection - it might be just her being that type of teeny who likes to prick and tease others (especially your crush) with sharpened pencils, pins and the angles of a ruler. In the scenes she's attacking Koyomi he might just overexaggerate what happened in reality - like he always does... ;)

If we look at her in story arcs where Koyomi isn't the narrator she appears extremely different from that - like this one highly childish and ridiculous meeting with Kaiki at the airport cafe - that is told from his point of view. It appears that it is mostly Koyomi who sees those tsundere aspects in her - but it's not exatly clear to me if her later shown character is soley because of a different narrator - it might also just be her growing out of this 'phase'.

Since I haven't read the novels I can only guess when it comes down to this details.

On topic I guess I would chime in with most here; she ACTS like a tsundere from time to time - but to be honest; I'm actually not sure if I would even tack such plain anime tropes onto a piece of art like Monogatari. (Ah! Ah! See what I did there? 'tack'. stable stapler???)
WaveshaperFeb 16, 2019 9:19 PM
Feb 25, 2019 10:14 PM

Feb 2017
i think half the point of the show is to not have characters that easy fit boxes like that, she is hard to characterize as she doesn't fit any one stereotype, and that's completely intentional. They even joke about it in the show. I would forgive someone for calling her a tsundere but I would say she definitely is not
Mar 4, 2019 7:08 PM

Feb 2019
jeremy24tyler said:
i think half the point of the show is to not have characters that easy fit boxes like that...

I would argue that this is because the characters on Monogatari are - contrary to usual anime characters - actually rather realistic and believeable. They are more like REAL teens with their problems, fears and their struggle of coming of age. What makes them different to most other characters is the fact that it's more likely to find them portrayed as stereotypes with different levels of character depth depending on the specific anime. That per se isn't a bad thing - because that's how most fictional entities are protrayed in media - and for pretty simple reasons so. Since there rarely is time enough to introduce every single character with all its attributes, making use of stereotypes and tropes makes sure that you don't have to tell every single detail and the viewer can fill in the blank spaces, drawing his own experiences from those stereotypes known in real life.

Manga & Anime make more use of this concept than western media and literature - most likely coming from the origin of japanese story telling and theatre art forms - but let's not dig into this.

Monogatari surely uses many manga/anime tropes as well, but it's cast is rather unusual for this medium - they actually feel like real people without falling too easily into steretypical categories. I would guess that's just something the common viewer might miss, because we're so used to the overly exaggerated anime tropes you'll find basically everywhere.

That's also the reason why I personally can't really count Monogatari as an typical anime - I really would rather compare it to the more prominent western literature of the genre, like the catcher in the rye. And while I'm aware there would be quite a few literature critics out there who would behead me for this comparison, that's my take on the series - ESPECIALLY as a big fan of said work of literature... ;)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

510 by deem0n »»
Apr 23, 1:30 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

26 by gauravb28 »»
Apr 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

5 by hsayal »»
Apr 21, 1:07 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.