Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2019 8:49 AM

Nov 2017
I mean, I myself was confused after watching the first episode, but most of my questions were answered in the second episode that came out at the same time, and it did not happen again.
And now it's episode 4 and I still see people being confused about the show, can anyone explain to me why ? Do I have 200 IQ or something ? (<--- edit: it's a joke)
OcalinoMay 18, 2019 2:23 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2016
Probably because they weren't paying that much attention
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Sep 2015
I think they runaround to much to make a point (and most of the times they don't) and most of the people (myself) can't keep the focus on one thing for more than 5 minutes.

People are probably not that dumb but if they don't have the interest its always harder.
shiro_kaiJan 18, 2019 9:01 AM
Jan 18, 2019 9:00 AM

Oct 2015
Elcru said:
Yeah. It really isn't that hard to follow unless you're not investing your time on watching the show and doing something else.
Jan 18, 2019 9:27 AM
Jan 2018
Because it actually IS confusing if you’re not paying 100% attention. Some people enjoy anime for the chill and relax vibe it gives you. This show demands way too much your attention if you really want to understand and follow the story. And even if you do understand, I personally find that there’s absolutely no point in switching and playing with the timeline like that. Just irritating
Jan 18, 2019 9:28 AM

Dec 2017
yeah, cuz some multiple personality disorder that turns you into a wizard and aliens make perfect sense, right? episode 3 was especially confusing with that de-escalation. everything just sorta happened and that's it, lol
Jan 18, 2019 10:38 AM

Mar 2017
I'm not gonna lie; i have no idea what's going on! I don't get why Boogiepop exists, i don't get what the main storyline is, i don't understand what Boogiepop is actually fighting against but i'm so fascinated by it all that i can't stop watching!
Jan 18, 2019 10:50 AM

Sep 2011
Because of low IQ?
Jan 18, 2019 11:18 AM

Dec 2016
i get the feeling if you don't concentrate whilst watching, it'd be easy to get confused with what's going on.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 18, 2019 12:20 PM
Apr 2016
Sury said:
Because of low IQ?

I think this is as far we will get to the truth here.

Episode 4 was not confusing at all. Everything happened in the proper order, with enough exposition.
Re:formed
Jan 18, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2016
The first episode having such a weird time situation confused me a bit but now that I just watched episodes 2 and 3 it makes a lot more sense.

Jan 18, 2019 12:23 PM
Apr 2016
Ponds667 said:
The first episode having such a weird time situation confused me a bit but now that I just watched episodes 2 and 3 it makes a lot more sense.

I can agree with people feeling confused during the first two episodes. That was by no means a standardized storytelling technique. But if there truly is someone still confused during the 4th episode? May this world have mercy on their meager minds.
Jan 18, 2019 12:27 PM

Jun 2015
Well, the narration from the book is non-linear, that kind of thing that makes sense the more nuance and information you get from different perspectives.

If you keep that, but at the same time rush through a whole book in 3 episodes, skipping an entire chapter, a lot of dialogue, pretty much all the characters' background and even information about the setting, it might end up being more confusing than it was meant to.
Jan 18, 2019 12:32 PM
Feb 2018
I found the first ep to be quite confusing, but like other people the second and third episodes explained everything for me, as for ep.4 I got confused again with all the imaginator thing, but i think that the next episodes will explain everthing like the first ones did.
Jan 18, 2019 12:35 PM
Apr 2016
Polengue said:
I found the first ep to be quite confusing, but like other people the second and third episodes explained everything for me, as for ep.4 I got confused again with all the imaginator thing, but i think that the next episodes will explain everthing like the first ones did.

If only everyone else understood that... but no, the genepool can't be that good...
Jan 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Mar 2013
People are probably confused because this show makes 0 effort at getting people actually interested in it. Everything about it is weirdly dull and plain. It's boring, especially in an animated medium where you can do anything. There's nothing about Boogiepop that visually stands out or attracts the viewer, especially not now they destroyed the character designs and made everyone look like a background character. At least Boogiepop Phantom had an interesting style with shot changes and experimental effects. This new anime isn't trying at all.

The truth is that people aren't going to pay full attention and get invested if the show isn't going to make any attempt to actually get them to do that. Having the voice actors at least not sound like they're dropping off would be a nice start.
Jan 18, 2019 12:58 PM
Apr 2016
straggy said:
People are probably confused because this show makes 0 effort at getting people actually interested in it. Everything about it is weirdly dull and plain.

It is a series and the bit on the personal interest you say is not connected to how hard or easy it is for people to fathom what is going on. You can take your subjective defamation someplace more appropriate.
Jan 18, 2019 1:35 PM

Mar 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
straggy said:
People are probably confused because this show makes 0 effort at getting people actually interested in it. Everything about it is weirdly dull and plain.

It is a series and the bit on the personal interest you say is not connected to how hard or easy it is for people to fathom what is going on. You can take your subjective defamation someplace more appropriate.

How on Earth does people not paying full attention not offer an explanation to why people aren't getting it? People aren't getting it because the show isn't interesting them. It's presenting the story in a dull way. If you don't want answers you don't like stop going in threads that are asking questions.
Jan 18, 2019 1:43 PM
Apr 2016
straggy said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

How on Earth does people not paying full attention not offer an explanation to why people aren't getting it? People aren't getting it because the show isn't interesting them. It's presenting the story in a dull way. If you don't want answers you don't like stop going in threads that are asking questions.

Those people are questionably smart as they keep on proceeding with something that does not interest them. They are not a part of the audience that this question is supposed to consider.
Jan 18, 2019 1:45 PM

Nov 2014
uninstallthegame said:
yeah, cuz some multiple personality disorder that turns you into a wizard and aliens make perfect sense, right? episode 3 was especially confusing with that de-escalation. everything just sorta happened and that's it, lol

That's not multiple personality disorder, she's not a wizard, and there wasn't any alien lol
Jan 18, 2019 1:58 PM

Mar 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
straggy said:

Those people are questionably smart as they keep on proceeding with something that does not interest them. They are not a part of the audience that this question is supposed to consider.

Oh yeah, my mistake. This is just another thread that's only people saying everyone that doesn't understand Boogiepop is a moron. That's exactly what OP's post said.

Elcru said:

OGAnime said:
Because it actually IS confusing if you’re not paying 100% attention. Some people enjoy anime for the chill and relax vibe it gives you. This show demands way too much your attention if you really want to understand and follow the story. And even if you do understand, I personally find that there’s absolutely no point in switching and playing with the timeline like that. Just irritating

photophobic said:
i get the feeling if you don't concentrate whilst watching, it'd be easy to get confused with what's going on.

Literally no-one was talking about people not understanding because they weren't paying attention. There was no need to talk about that. My bad.
Jan 18, 2019 2:04 PM
Apr 2016
You are pardoned. Now move somewhere where you understand the point of being at.
Jan 18, 2019 4:01 PM

Dec 2017
Irrelative said:
uninstallthegame said:

That's not multiple personality disorder

Irrelative said:
and there wasn't any alien lol

mate, you rated the show a 7 so far, are you even paying any attention to what is happening? and the wizard part was a joke, but he does warp around a controls strings with some sort of magic shit, so yeah..

Jan 18, 2019 4:43 PM
Oct 2018
It really does bother me how someone can not pay attention and then say something is confusing. Most things are hard to follow if you literally aren't following them. A psychological mystery thriller is something that will obviously require full attention. Hell, ANY mystery requires full attention. The whole point of the genre is to piece together the clues to figure out what happened. If you ignore clues, it's not gonna make sense. The appropriate thing to say then wouldn't be that "its confusing" but rather "idk, i didnt pay attention".

Boogiepop so far is quite easy to follow if you watch the show. They flat out tell you what happens. We don't even have an unreliable narrator (at least as far as we know). The characters actually look distinct unlike in phantom so at least in this one you can tell who is who and it doesn't require you read the books to have any clue whats going on. If phantom is anime hard mode, this is easy difficulty.

I'm really hating how things seem to be shifting so that all media must be made for people to barely pay attention to for 5 minutes at a time and still get full value out of it. It's restrictive on what can be made.
Jan 18, 2019 5:02 PM

Mar 2013
because it IS confusing. but that's why I like IT!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 18, 2019 5:29 PM
Jun 2017
People have seen 4 episodes and feel slighted that they haven't been spoon-fed the details.
Jan 18, 2019 5:30 PM

Jan 2018
I'm really bad with names and recognizing character designs so I struggle a lot with who is who and who does what in this anime. That's where basically all of my confusion comes from. So my guess is that as long as you're good with names and don't have any problem separating the character designs, you wouldn't find Boogiepop confusing at all.
Jan 18, 2019 5:37 PM
Apr 2016
papsoshea said:
It's not confusing, it's just boring. And it does a good job of making you not giving a crap about the characters, not surprised at all seeing how many chapters were adapted into the previous 3 episodes.

Apparently many other people, myself included, are interested and invested in the story. That makes your claims not universal, in the least, as it does not apply to everyone (not even most I believe). Anything else you feel is objective for this series?
Jan 19, 2019 2:09 AM
Apr 2016
papsoshea said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Apparently many other people, myself included, are interested and invested in the story. That makes your claims not universal, in the least, as it does not apply to everyone (not even most I believe). Anything else you feel is objective for this series?
Apparently many other people, myself included, find it boring.

Then it reeks of subjective preferences and one side has to be in the wrong. We can spend time trying to find out the truth, or we can avoid de-railling the thread.
Jan 19, 2019 2:18 AM

Sep 2017
TBH because it's hard to memorize the names and all that stuff. Your brain processes the names into pieces to fill up the story in order for it to make sense... When you got that done, it should make sense... The plot isn't that complicated.

p.s they even got those confusing side characters acting like main characters with the same character designs, as if the names weren't confusing enough.

After reading this thread, the feeling of inferiority loosened up a bit, I thought I was the only one confused with how the characters was represented.
AyunaAniJan 19, 2019 2:22 AM

"The universe was made, just to be seen by my eyes."
Jan 19, 2019 2:56 AM
Apr 2016
papsoshea said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Then it reeks of subjective preferences and one side has to be in the wrong. We can spend time trying to find out the truth, or we can avoid de-railling the thread.
You've taken it upon yourself to be the shows fanboy on this thread, hooray for you.

Well you seem to have mistaken my scientific remark for... something else. And accused me of something I am not. Pitiful, I actually expected something decent.
Daniel_NaumovJan 19, 2019 3:22 AM
Jan 20, 2019 3:02 AM

Mar 2014
Theres a difference between being confused and being boring. Choose one OP

Clearly this so far has been boring
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jan 20, 2019 7:22 AM

Dec 2014
for me its too many things stuck into one...first there was boogiepop.... which I am still confused as to what that actually is..that a man eater ...than an alien than a teachers who sees things in other people minds , no we are given a girl ..called an imaginater or is controlled by so called imaginator entity....and in between you have stories of different characters one after another... to me that much information just doesn't connect ( no background is given whatsoever) as to what the main purpose is... Each episode has a new seeming story or purpose
ibraheem234Jan 20, 2019 7:35 AM
Jan 22, 2019 3:50 PM
Aug 2014
straggy said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

It feels like talking to a brick wall. What does confusion have to do with interest? They are separate things. If you are uninterested, there is nothing to confuse you because you aren't even paying attention. Just move on and watch something else.
Jan 22, 2019 4:00 PM
Jan 2015
ibraheem234 said:
for me its too many things stuck into one...first there was boogiepop.... which I am still confused as to what that actually is..that a man eater ...than an alien than a teachers who sees things in other people minds , no we are given a girl ..called an imaginater or is controlled by so called imaginator entity....and in between you have stories of different characters one after another... to me that much information just doesn't connect ( no background is given whatsoever) as to what the main purpose is... Each episode has a new seeming story or purpose

This all will be explained... Eventually.
It's like constructing puzzle in your head - remember and sum up what you see after.
Idk I like stuff that makes you do things like this, it's pretty unorthodox for anime and not only for anime.
Jan 22, 2019 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
Not everyone gets non-linear story telling.
Jan 23, 2019 6:56 PM

Sep 2018
The previous version of boogiepop was far more confusing if you ask me (mainly coz everyone looked the same lol). This has been relatively easy to understand so far.

As for why ppl find it confusing maybe due the non-linear story line i guess? And also the first 3 ep went at break neck pace so those who didn't pay attention were left behind.

ibraheem234 said:

Every ep is not a new story dude. The first 3 ep were a complete arc in itself. Now the 4th ep is the beginning of the new arc which doesn't take place after the first arc. The timeline is not linear. The grl was killed by boogiepop coz she was a threat to the world but she still " exists " as a ghost or something and is trying to achieve what boogiepop tried to stop her from ( just what i feel tho). Have patience dude all the dots will be connected as the story goes on.
majiyabakuneJan 23, 2019 7:02 PM
Jan 25, 2019 10:03 AM

Dec 2015
The show throws more mysteries than answer already established ones. I belive the events are easy to put in order, but in regards to the story itself, I'm always thinking if what I'm seeing was suposed to be understandable and I forgot something important or if it was suposed to be a new mystery. So, even if I think I'm understanding the plot so far, I'm not 100% secure I get everything the show is offering
Jan 25, 2019 10:06 AM

Jun 2015
Because people are doing other things while watching the anime and paying attention at all. Some other just don't bother to think. They probably haven't had to think about a show in their life. You shouldn' be watching a Horror/Mystery show if u didn't want to work ur brain a little. Just drop it already and don't rate it.
Read Toriko!
Jan 25, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2013
Because people are used to Fairy Tail.
Jan 25, 2019 12:32 PM

Jan 2018
i get why people wouldn't like it but it's not that hard to follow, specially this last two eps. compared to boogiepop phantom this is easy.
Jan 31, 2019 3:05 PM
Mar 2018
straggy said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

look dude tbh this show needs a re-watch. It's not that they aren't interested in it because if they did they would already drop it, but it's the fact that people needed to wait one week each episode so they forgot some details, and this isn't a series that can work with the weekly release
Jan 31, 2019 3:21 PM
Mar 2018
uninstallthegame said:
Irrelative said:

That's not multiple personality disorder

Irrelative said:
and there wasn't any alien lol

mate, you rated the show a 7 so far, are you even paying any attention to what is happening? and the wizard part was a joke, but he does warp around a controls strings with some sort of magic shit, so yeah..

lol that isn't appropriate at 100% but if you don't have a brain and don't think about it you wouldn't get it. Aliens are all the creatures that aren't from this world, so he stated he was one because at first he didn't get into details. But in reality he's an angel that came into the earth to see if humanity should be destroyed or remained intact. I think it's you who isn't paying attention too because in the show it's clearly stated that it's not multiple personality, but a possibility of the world(because normally an alter ego should a possibility of someone) . I actually think boogiepop has this "magic shit" because as he stated "he use the strength humans hide subconsciously" and that is something that it's true since even in real life it's demonstrated that if humans use 100% of their brain they would have superpowers basically. That's the point. And if you want explanation to why boogiepop is miyashita touka just wait until the next episodes after the imaginator arc. They'll cover the backstories of kirima Nagi and miyashita touka if I'm not mistaken. This is a mistery show, so if you're that dumb to talk about this like that then it isn't for you. If you want to understand better you can re-watch the episodes as things are in the exact order and you might have mistaken a LOT of things lol. And to end this you shouldn't trust what Wikipedia says, if you want to trust something then do it with the source material or the show.
Alex82829290Jan 31, 2019 3:27 PM
Feb 1, 2019 2:14 AM

Mar 2018
Alex82829290 said:
straggy said:

look dude tbh this show needs a re-watch. It's not that they aren't interested in it because if they did they would already drop it, but it's the fact that people needed to wait one week each episode so they forgot some details, and this isn't a series that can work with the weekly release

my thoughts exactly, also, just because a show is complicated doesn't make it good, i personally think its a bit dull especially the animation which makes it really hard to focus on and properly get into with its only redeeming features being that it makes you think and the way it makes you do that is quite cheap, i haven't read the source but i imagine its a lot better than this, im guessing its just a victim of a poor adaptation.
Feb 1, 2019 4:42 AM

Mar 2008
They really should have colour coded events so you can tell the order easier. A few times I wasn't sure when things were taking place. Other than that and a few characters looking alike and forgettable character design there isn't anything to be confused about beyond the level you're supposed to not know what is going on. It's obviously the sort of thing that explains more as you go along. It would be increadibly boring if you knew everything from the start because of the relaxed vibe it has.
Feb 1, 2019 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
Ocalino said:
I mean, I myself was confused after watching the first episode, but most of my questions were answered in the second episode that came out at the same time, and it did not happen again.
And now it's episode 4 and I still see people being confused about the show, can anyone explain to me why ? Do I have 200 IQ or something ?

r/iamverysmart

I'm not confused because I can't follow the storyline, I love entangled story arcs but I don't like the overall presentation. It randomly jumps from scene to scene without any kind of explanation.

We moved to a different 'monster' but we never got any kind of conclusion about the previous one.

This type of esoteric storytelling works well in books but not in visual stuff.

Feb 5, 2019 2:13 AM

Oct 2016
I agree. I'm only on Episode 2 so far and all my confusions from the first episode have been answered and I now understand it.
Feb 11, 2019 4:51 AM
Jan 2018
I read like the first few chapters of the first vol and can already tell that anime has done a shit job at adating and portraying it . Well that madhouse for you . I think deen would have been a better choice as they adapt monogatri pretty great
Feb 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Apr 2017
OGAnime said:
I really like this way of playing with the timeline tho, it makes you think more and makes the show more obscure

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Feb 11, 2019 11:12 AM
Sep 2016
Mattinator95 said:
I read like the first few chapters of the first vol and can already tell that anime has done a shit job at adating and portraying it . Well that madhouse for you . I think deen would have been a better choice as they adapt monogatri pretty great

Monogatari is adapted by Shaft (which is also not perfect....reference to how badly they handled fate/extra)

Deen...hell no. That studio actively tried to ruin fate/stay night and ruined umineko
At least rakugo got a good team behind it. Madhouse is doing a trash job but anything but deen :(
1.1.Six
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.