Forum Settings
Forums

What genre of anime you think is missing repersentation?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 19, 2019 4:45 AM
Mar 2016
I feel that the buddy Cop or just American Cop based genre has disappeared. Would love that to make a comeback.
Jan 19, 2019 8:39 AM

Oct 2014
Casual outdoors anime are something we need more of. Yama no Susume, Sora Yori, and Yuru Camp are three good examples. In that same line we have anime about road biking and motorcycling but none about mountain biking or dirt biking, which I think is a shame. These might all fall under sports, but it's a sub genre of sports that tends to get overlooked.
Jan 19, 2019 8:45 AM

May 2016
Cyberpunk needs to reemerge, especially now that the genre is more relevant than ever before.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 19, 2019 9:10 AM

Aug 2017
We need more horror, thriller and psychological shows. Stop with isekai and moe.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 19, 2019 10:41 AM
Oct 2018
I think a romance anime where, you know, like clannad where at the end of the story it feels like a couple has become a close couple. in new romance anime I just think, ok, how the hell are they a couple.
Jan 19, 2019 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
Horror and psychological.
Gore does not make it scary....
Jan 19, 2019 4:33 PM

May 2018
Zelkiiro said:
Cyberpunk needs to reemerge, especially now that the genre is more relevant than ever before.

I couldn't agree more

Nurguburu said:
We need more horror, thriller and psychological shows. Stop with isekai and moe.

Indeed we need, but it doesn't have to stop with the rest, I have to admit that I have my fair amount of pleasure with isekai and moe.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Jan 19, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2013
I'd like to see more ninja anime personally.
Jan 19, 2019 4:49 PM

Dec 2015
chiricoS said:
More Josei and horror would be great.

This is just to take up 30 letters!!!

Jan 19, 2019 4:52 PM

Mar 2018
Psychological SOL or psychological harem. Wish fulfillment much, but if in Japanese script writing mentality, an average bland loser can get a harem of 3+ girls, then I'd like to see how it would go down with an edgelord who suffers of PTSD.
Silently waiting for WW3 to come and kill everyone while I die smoking weed and drinking coke 🚬👌
Jan 19, 2019 5:04 PM
Oct 2018
Sports is definitely under-represented, Mecha has near completely vanished and except for 'Crybaby', there has not been a pure Horror anime like 'Berserk' or 'Perfect Blue' for a while.
Jan 19, 2019 5:05 PM
Oct 2018
Nillwas said:
chiricoS said:
More Josei and horror would be great.

That rule really bothers me as well. Do you think that it's necessary?
Jan 19, 2019 5:23 PM

Jun 2015
well this
foxsuprise said:
An anime where MC isn't human/human-looking (ie.not catgirls/horsegirls/etc.,since they're sorta humanoid). So like animal/monster genre
thts why pingu saved anime
Jan 19, 2019 5:24 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
This season?

Ecchi

technically not a genre blah blah blah w/e

Overall I'd say horror probably
ManabanJan 19, 2019 5:27 PM

Jan 19, 2019 5:37 PM

Feb 2018
KuroudoAkabane said:
well this
foxsuprise said:
An anime where MC isn't human/human-looking (ie.not catgirls/horsegirls/etc.,since they're sorta humanoid). So like animal/monster genre

Pingu's gonna noot-noot the entire anime industry in the upcoming decade
Jan 19, 2019 7:18 PM
Jun 2016
foxsuprise said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
well this

Pingu's gonna noot-noot the entire anime industry in the upcoming decade

HEY language like that will get you banned hehe :>
Jan 19, 2019 7:59 PM

Mar 2016
Quality horror that actually scares, creeps out (exclude in a perverted way), or makes the watcher do a double take in how fucking gruesome/exciting it was.
Jan 19, 2019 8:09 PM
Jun 2016
Wallanimx said:
Quality horror that actually scares, creeps out (exclude in a perverted way), or makes the watcher do a double take in how fucking gruesome/exciting it was.

wich is funny as j-horror is porobably some of my favorite stuff, why can't the anime get any of it right.
Jan 19, 2019 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
Wallanimx said:

That was especially Made in Abyss to me. I never felt so much psychological horror before ... and that one arc of D.Gray-man Hallow tbh.
These two and Evangelion, Madoka and The Promised Neverland are so good at it.
Other types of horror like Corpse Party and the like bored me tho.
Jan 19, 2019 9:37 PM

Mar 2018
I'd say thriller, that's why i'm really glad https://myanimelist.net/anime/37779/Yakusoku_no_Neverland is out, there used to be way more dark animes before.
Also good sports anime, seems super easy to do but there aren't that many.
Jan 19, 2019 9:42 PM

Jul 2007
Lol so many people wanting more josei.

I don't get the appeal of josei even though that is ironically the demographic I fall into. I don't believe I have watched a single josei anime that I haven't dropped.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 19, 2019 10:04 PM

Feb 2010
mecha anime has been on a decline for ages now. it needs revitalization.

KbefepJazz said:
Nillwas said:

because back in the day people would do this obnoxious thing for almost 100 pages

where they would only write

^ this

and not speak for themselves.

that and people who posted images and nothing else.

and the occational

no

yes

no

yes

no

yes

stupidity arguments happened.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 19, 2019 10:14 PM
Jan 2019
Actual decent horror would be fucking sick.
Jan 19, 2019 10:40 PM

Mar 2016
I would like to see more romance anime with adults as a main cast, not hentai and not school romance. I mean for example with marrying each other, get pregnant and raising children. And of course with hardships.

Jan 19, 2019 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
I. WANT. MORE. FEMDOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!
No but seriously; I feel like the crime genre has been seriously missing for the past few years. Sure, we got 91 Days, but that was kinda shit. I love me a good crime drama.

YayakoChii said:
I would like to see more romance anime with adults as a main cast, not hentai and not school romance. I mean for example with marrying each other, get pregnant and raising children. And of course with hardships.

Good luck finding an anime like that. The closest we have to that is Clannad After Story, but that wasn't exactly about raising a kid as a couple. Otherwise though, I agree with you. I can't take romance among teenagers seriously. Like, at all. Teenagers don't understand what romance is; because they mistake sexual tension to be romance.

Maneki-Mew said:
Wallanimx said:

That was especially Made in Abyss to me. I never felt so much psychological horror before ... and that one arc of D.Gray-man Hallow tbh.

Except Made In Abyss isn't psychological.

EvilMayDie64 said:
Psychological SOL or psychological harem. Wish fulfillment much, but if in Japanese script writing mentality, an average bland loser can get a harem of 3+ girls, then I'd like to see how it would go down with an edgelord who suffers of PTSD.

Wait, you want an anime about an edgelord with PTSD who has a harem? That...sounds interesting. What kind of backstory would you want the MC to have? I'd want his backstory to be that he was raped as a kid, so he starts off as being reluctant towards his harem.
A harem where the MC actually...you know...fucks the girls, would be refreshing to see.
removed-userJan 19, 2019 10:46 PM
Jan 19, 2019 10:42 PM

Aug 2016
Cyberpunk theme
Mecha with actual machines and no human pilots or human control
An actual scary horror anime (that's impossible though)
Jan 19, 2019 11:13 PM

Nov 2018
good psychologicals are pretty rare, and it's always nice when the show pulls off what they're trying to accomplish. There's different types: Psychological thrillers (mind games- Kakegurui ), psychological horrors (mostly just a lot of death nowadays, but sometimes it can be pulled off well [Re:Zero, Madoka Magica]), and psychological dramas (neat stuff like Aku No Hana and ERASED). A good psychological anime is really memorable and I kinda like how it messes with your head lmao.
there are some potential good ones this season, hopefully they hold to the end!
Jan 19, 2019 11:44 PM

Oct 2018
hmm well I was going to say Josei, but apparently they aren't Genres.

I think we could use more Cyberpunk and Steampunk types of anime would be really cool to see.

youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Jan 19, 2019 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Well not tagged on mal, but the horror still felt like it.
Jan 20, 2019 12:23 AM

Mar 2018
HopefulNihilist said:

Wait, you want an anime about an edgelord with PTSD who has a harem? That...sounds interesting. What kind of backstory would you want the MC to have? I'd want his backstory to be that he was raped as a kid, so he starts off as being reluctant towards his harem.
A harem where the MC actually...you know...fucks the girls, would be refreshing to see.

Raped as a kid, or bullied by his peers... Something to make him cold enough not to be his harem's plaything (or puching box) like most main characters of that genre.
Well... Grisaia no Kajitsu has the main character not a virgin, but he doesn't fuck any girls in his present harem. xD. Anyways, harem MC are designed to be some sort of forever virgin losers with girls after them... It's a pain to watch
Silently waiting for WW3 to come and kill everyone while I die smoking weed and drinking coke 🚬👌
Jan 20, 2019 12:36 AM
Jan 2012
Gay people. Yaoi, Yuri, Shoujo Ai and Shounen Ai don't look like actual representation, they look like an attempt at making them fetishes.

I wouldn't even be in that target demographic regardless of whether they were better, I'm straight, but it's still weird that this is what anime makes you think a same sex relationship looks like.

Like, I'm not against these kinds of shows, I'm not saying kind we have now shouldn't exist, but maybe they shouldn't be the only standard for this type of story. Lots of genres get you to relate to characters that you typically wouldn't be able to relate to, yet somehow these always miss the mark. I wouldn't mind having a show focused on what it's like to be a gay person in a more realistic setting with more realistic characters
Jan 20, 2019 12:51 AM

Oct 2013
Jan 20, 2019 2:02 AM

Oct 2015
I'd like more shows from Edo Period or Medieval Japan. Feudalism, conflict between clans and politics and whatnot would be really cool to have. Japan has such a rich history but I rarely see anime benefit from that.
Jan 20, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2015
How about satire? I'd really love to see an anime that criticizes our society or anime while making fun of it.
Jan 20, 2019 2:18 AM

May 2015
EvilMayDie64 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Raped as a kid, or bullied by his peers... Something to make him cold enough not to be his harem's plaything (or puching box) like most main characters of that genre.
Well... Grisaia no Kajitsu has the main character not a virgin, but he doesn't fuck any girls in his present harem. xD. Anyways, harem MC are designed to be some sort of forever virgin losers with girls after them... It's a pain to watch

I see the problem that the anime industry is likely to romanticise this idea in order to make it accessible for a broader audience. Capitalism sucks.
Jan 20, 2019 2:22 AM
Oct 2018
hazarddex said:
mecha anime has been on a decline for ages now. it needs revitalization.

KbefepJazz said:

because back in the day people would do this obnoxious thing for almost 100 pages

where they would only write

^ this

and not speak for themselves.

that and people who posted images and nothing else.

and the occational

no

yes

no

yes

no

yes

stupidity arguments happened.

I'll accept it then, it's just been bugging me a lot.
Jan 20, 2019 2:23 AM

Mar 2018
_Yanina said:
EvilMayDie64 said:

I see the problem that the anime industry is likely to romanticise this idea in order to make it accessible for a broader audience. Capitalism sucks.

You know what? That's the problem. It's been done too much, it's more overused than a condom rolled three times. I know they only care about Japan audiences, but if they keep up this tropes, they might lose their audiences overseas.
Jan 20, 2019 2:29 AM

Aug 2017
I want more anthology stories, like the "monster of the week" type deal.

lmao hello there, it's your girl
pls sub to poundtoundhound thx
(Icon was done & animated by me btw!)
Jan 20, 2019 2:30 AM

Nov 2017
Shoujo ai... Apparently there's only 69 of them here in MAL

plz @ me
Jan 20, 2019 2:38 AM
Feb 2016
Reina_Orikasa said:
Shiroanon said:

the tatami galaxy has a college setting, would highly recommend checking that out

Guess I'll start watching that then.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I can also recommend "Kaze Ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru", a 23 episodes anime about 10 college aged students who live in one building, who are going to run the Hakone Ekiden. There's a heavy focus on character development and there are interesting life events that happened to all the characters that are explored throughout the series and explain why the characters act the way they do. The visuals are pretty. Also Haiji is best boy.
Jan 20, 2019 2:53 AM

Jun 2016
I'd like to see the second coming of Initial D and Wangan Midnight, but know it will never happen.
Jan 20, 2019 2:55 AM

Jun 2016
024 said:
Shoujo ai... Apparently there's only 69 of them here in MAL

I don't think so. I think it's becoming more prominent. We had this hidden gem recently.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/37786/Yagate_Kimi_ni_Naru
Jan 20, 2019 3:11 AM

Dec 2018
OnionKnightRises said:
Gay people. Yaoi, Yuri, Shoujo Ai and Shounen Ai don't look like actual representation, they look like an attempt at making them fetishes.

I wouldn't even be in that target demographic regardless of whether they were better, I'm straight, but it's still weird that this is what anime makes you think a same sex relationship looks like.

Like, I'm not against these kinds of shows, I'm not saying kind we have now shouldn't exist, but maybe they shouldn't be the only standard for this type of story. Lots of genres get you to relate to characters that you typically wouldn't be able to relate to, yet somehow these always miss the mark. I wouldn't mind having a show focused on what it's like to be a gay person in a more realistic setting with more realistic characters

Yes more realistic anime about gay people and there struggle in life , i love my Yuri shoujo ai i really do, but it is unrealistic

Yagate Kimi ni Naru is a rare bread hopefully others will follow its lead and give us more choice in the future
Jan 20, 2019 4:33 AM

Nov 2016
Road-trip adventures are fairly rare to my knowledge. What I mean by that is anime that focus on the journey/development of characters more so than the destination, such as Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Spice and Wolf, SoraYori etc.
currently: doing my best!

Jan 20, 2019 4:42 AM
Dec 2017
I think we need better sports anime. And they have to be without superpowers. Also an Esport anime is a idea that i like to see. And a good tennis anime.

But also in sports anime is the problem that it is always underdogs becoming the best. I World like to see a sportkanime where the team is just a halve good team that just have fun with eachother. A bit like K-On!
Life is just a Joke where we all laugh at
Jan 20, 2019 5:36 AM

Feb 2017
horror/thriller and lgbt romance specifically shounen ai. i can name a few good, popular shoujo ai but the only good shounen ai i can think of is doukyuusei.
Jan 20, 2019 6:19 AM

Mar 2015
Horror for sure. Can we get some more, good, horror?

Cooking and Shoujo too

woah there
Jan 20, 2019 7:18 AM

Sep 2018
Mecha, I feel like it’s dying out and not that many people like it anymore. Yeah we had darling in the franxx but that shit sucked
Jan 20, 2019 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Well not tagged on mal, but the horror still felt like it.

Horror =/= psychological. Psychological = exploration of the psyche.
Jan 20, 2019 7:34 AM

Jul 2017
psychological thrillers, there are no good ones after 2011
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 7 hours ago

16 by Lhundrup »»
11 seconds ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

40 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

176 by ISeeLifePeople »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

89 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

46 by mason_black »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.