Forum Settings
Forums

[rant?] Why do American publishers with the rights for Manga decide to only publish the official English in an ebook version?

New
Jan 16, 2019 8:56 PM
May 2015
Okay, so this is maybe a rant, maybe just me being stupid. But. Why do these companies decided to make their license of a manga series ebook only?! Just why? They don't even let other companies do a print version... There are several manga I want but can't get 'cause the company decided to ebook it only... like why? Maybe some of you guys can explain something I'm missing. idk.
Jan 17, 2019 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
It's probably entirely to do with them not thinking a physical version would be profitable. Much easier, cheaper and safer to just put out a digital version and then let the sales of that dictate if you'll do a physical release. Could always try just emailing the publiisher/s in question directly if you want a more definitive answer though.
Jan 17, 2019 1:21 PM
Mar 2017
It's cheaper.
Maybe they want to check out how many are interested before printing as well.
Jan 17, 2019 6:10 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Yes, this is totally a money thing. Printing physical books cost money. Most printers have an initial order number, which could be more volumes than the company thinks they would actually sell. If the volumes don't sell fast enough they will require storage (which also costs money). Only the biggest titles sell decent numbers everything else is still pretty niche.

So, a lot of the ebook only titles are in fact titles companies might have not taken a chance on at all if it was a print-only release.

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.