Forum Settings
Forums

Generally, how well do you remember the Anime you've watched?

New
Jan 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Jul 2014
This topic has most likely been posted often. But to put my own take on it...

I've always envied people who are able to remember the smallest details of series they've watched.

I have never really been able to do that. Instead, I remember "scenes." Only the visuals basically. I remember some details of my favourite shows. But that's basically it. Characters names I remember sometimes also.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2019 5:27 PM

May 2016
99 times out of 100, I will rewatch an anime (or just watch it for the first time) just before reviewing it for maximum remember-ability. And then my reviews will remember them so I don't have to!

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 15, 2019 5:29 PM

Jul 2014
Zelkiiro said:
99 times out of 100, I will rewatch an anime (or just watch it for the first time) just before reviewing it for maximum remember-ability. And then my reviews will remember them so I don't have to!
That's a good way to look at it actually.
Jan 15, 2019 5:33 PM

Oct 2018
My secret is I don't remember, sometimes I go through my list and wonder if I truly ever saw x anime or if I'm just confusing it with an episode of Pokemon.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 15, 2019 5:42 PM

Jul 2014
BackstageMage said:
My secret is I don't remember, sometimes I go through my list and wonder if I truly ever saw x anime or if I'm just confusing it with an episode of Pokemon.
Lol, wow. Interesting. Yeah, I can relate to the episode of Pokemon thing. It's probably happened to me too.
Jan 15, 2019 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
I remember most of the anime I've seen, just not all by name cause it may have been a while and it also depends on how I liked it. There's always those anime in my list that I completely forgot I even saw though.
Jan 15, 2019 5:51 PM

Apr 2017
Depends on how memorable the anime is. Sounds like a cop out answer but it makes sense. For example, I can hardly recall much of Death Parade apart from the general overarching plot, while I doubt I'll ever forget something like Death Note (yes, I intentionally chose 2 madhouse shows, to further make the point that its not necessarily even down to the studio)

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Jan 15, 2019 5:51 PM

Dec 2017
Well, remembering many or some things about anime we watch is great, but I think it is something that's created based on everyones taste.

There are always scenes that become legendary, but it is also true that the more anime you see, the more you remember scenes and relate them to others that you have seen and you begin to generate a language in itself.

It is similar to when reading many books, one becomes capable of remembering complete poems, or scenes of particular texts, etcetera.

I think I've always been pretty good remembering all that kind of stuff (with music something similar happens to me), although the only thing that has always been complicated are the names, in general I never remember what anyone's name is, it's easier than remember how they walk or their silhouette or how they were dressed ... weird things in the world ... ;)
Jan 15, 2019 6:00 PM

Aug 2018
I also have that problem, but it's because I have a goldfish memory. Very often when i am watching anime and someone is talking about certain character by calling him/her by name I have no idea WHO is he talking about. It's very confusing.
Jan 15, 2019 6:10 PM

Sep 2018
not much‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌
Jan 15, 2019 6:14 PM

Jun 2015
Dude, there's anime on my list that I've rated 8,9,10 and I don't even remember the plot or character names! There's some that I wasn't even sure i ever watched. Then there are those people who've seen over a thousand anime and still remember all or most of them. I WISH i had such good memory. even if I utilized it for such useless shit. Just having that ability would be so gratifying.
Read Toriko!
Jan 15, 2019 6:15 PM

Dec 2018
Depends entirely on my enjoyment.

Here’s an example, naruto is 720 episodes in total and I loved it. I remember all the relevant characters, the plot, different arcs etc.

But then with something like Darling in the Franxx or guilty crown (both 24ish episodes) I only remember two-three names from each show, because I thought the writing was bad and I spent a majority of the shows laughing at nonsense, not enthralled in the characters.

If I finish an anime though I’m at least going to remember the essentials of the plot and probably at least one or two names. I’ve seen some people in other threads say they forget an anime shortly after watching it and that blows my mind XD
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Jan 15, 2019 6:21 PM

Apr 2016
Depends on each series. Some are more memorable than others. Enjoyment is usually a factor in this too. The more you liked a series and/or certain scenes from it, the longer you will remember those.

I usually remember still something from a series I watched, though depending which one we would be talking about I remember more than from others. Looking through my screenshot folder from time to time also revives memories of certain scenes rather quickly too.
Wlad-Jan 15, 2019 6:29 PM
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 15, 2019 6:34 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty average I think. Anime titles, I can fondly remember through looking at the characters. But for the small details that happened in the anime, not so much. For example, I recently just watched the third seasons of both AOT and To Aru which are 2 anime titles that I haven't seen in a while and have nearly forgotten about everything that happened before.
Jan 15, 2019 6:37 PM

May 2017
Most of the time, it is 80 to 90% of the time that I watch anime to be memorable due to the amount of memes that get created because of it (case in point: JOJO references)

Other times, when I’m watching anime compilations, it’s usually 60 to 65% that I remember the most.
Jan 15, 2019 8:10 PM
Oct 2018
Generally, I’m not that good at remembering details of the anime I watch. I can remember watching it, but I tend to forget the details like the next day.
i think i've had enough
Jan 15, 2019 8:16 PM

Jul 2014
riku0 said:
Generally, I’m not that good at remembering details of the anime I watch. I can remember watching it, but I tend to forget the details like the next day.
Exactly me. Pretty much. Lol oh well
Jan 15, 2019 8:20 PM
Dec 2010
I tend to forget most things about animes I watched. Over the years, I barely remember anything about most animes I watched. Even recent animes are not spared, I don't bother remembering much of anything.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Jan 15, 2019 8:22 PM

Jul 2017
I remember OG Naruto because I've rewatched it and Death Note because it was damn good. Everything else is a did I like it or not, notable characters & their design, and the vague plot structure.
what am I doing with my life
Jan 16, 2019 12:47 AM

Jul 2015
I remember shows quite well. I think I have a pretty good memory in general.
Jan 16, 2019 1:04 AM

Jul 2014
chiricoS said:
You are lucky! Is your avatar a character from Sound of the Sky? She looks familiar.
Jan 16, 2019 1:07 AM

Jul 2015
Speeny said:
chiricoS said:
You are lucky! Is your avatar a character from Sound of the Sky? She looks familiar.

Yep! It's Rio. I feel like shes kind of an underappreciated character.
Jan 16, 2019 1:25 AM
Jun 2016
I found this problem at times, but really ran into it with manga, especially the monthly or bi monthly manga, I would see a manga I was read showed up first time in 2 months and have to skim through the previous few chapters to remember which one it was for some of them.
Jan 16, 2019 1:27 AM

Jul 2014
wolfwing said:
I found this problem at times, but really ran into it with manga, especially the monthly or bi monthly manga, I would see a manga I was read showed up first time in 2 months and have to skim through the previous few chapters to remember which one it was for some of them.

Yeah,

I think that Manga can sometimes come off more confusing than Anime. Especially coming from someone who doesn't read Manga all that often.

With parts with heavy amounts of action sometimes you gotta back-track to make out what actually happened. I guess one of the perks with Manga is that you can take everything in at your own place though.
Jan 16, 2019 1:35 AM

Jul 2013
Key events/plotlines usually stay with me, depends on the series though.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 16, 2019 1:41 AM

Oct 2017
I usually spend a lot of extra time on the works I like (reading about their inspiration, the cast and staff, how the production went, cultural references, discussing them with my bf and friends etc) so I guess that's how I remember most of the things I've watched. if I just watched it but didn't really feel engaged or interested there's a big chance it'll fade in the back of my memory.........
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 16, 2019 1:44 AM

Jul 2012
I mainly remember the overarching plot to a degree that I could give a decent summary of most of the shows I've watched or at least the highlights from the series. Character names can be really hit or miss depending on how much of an impact the series had or the size of the cast, often I also only remember them by their nickname in the show.
Enjoyment or on the contrary hatred tends to influence memory quite a bit. Like for my highest rated anime I can remember extremely specific references or scenes, but an average show if it wasn't a major plot point I'll probably forget it unless I directly see a reference.
Jan 16, 2019 1:47 AM
Aug 2017
I can remember the key points and synopsis of an anime but if you suddenly ask the character names...I stop there because I totally forget the names of character other than mc...anyone else having same probs??
Jan 16, 2019 1:49 AM

Jul 2014
Phenom_sage said:
I can remember the key points and synopsis of an anime but if you suddenly ask the character names...I stop there because I totally forget the names of character other than mc...anyone else having same probs??
Yeah, I forget characters names. I can remember quite a few out of my favourite series though.
Jan 16, 2019 1:59 AM

Aug 2017
I only forget the character names, unless it's the MC or if characters that have easy name otherwise i forget it for most. Besides that i have a good memory on almost each anime i do have seen.
Jan 16, 2019 2:02 AM

Mar 2018
I'm not one of those people with hundreds of anime (yet), but I can remember most things Ive watched. Not good at details and terrible at remembering names, but I can remember the basic plot points.

Jan 16, 2019 2:35 AM

May 2014
I remember main events, but i don't tend to remember that many small details. I'll only remember stuff like that for my favourite series.
Jan 16, 2019 2:39 AM

Jan 2013
Sometimes when I'm re-watching I get surprised by the same plot twists again, so yeah, my memory is pretty bad.
Jan 16, 2019 2:52 AM

Feb 2018
I remember pretty much everything fro. My favorite shows, but forget a lot of stuff about less interesting shows.
Jan 16, 2019 8:11 AM
Jun 2016
Speeny said:
wolfwing said:

Yeah,

I think that Manga can sometimes come off more confusing than Anime. Especially coming from someone who doesn't read Manga all that often.

With parts with heavy amounts of action sometimes you gotta back-track to make out what actually happened. I guess one of the perks with Manga is that you can take everything in at your own place though.

yeah, why I tend to read manga like one piece in bulk, every 5 or so months, much easier.
Jan 16, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2016
Going through my list, I generally remember seeing most of the shows that I have on there and can recall at least a few scenes and a general plot structure, but don't necessarily remember all the details, especially on shows that I rated lower since part of the lower rating is just an inability to stick in my head. However, I also comparatively recently became an anime fan, having started watching seriously in 2014, so for those who've been fans longer than I have, I can imagine having a harder time even remembering they watched a show.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jan 16, 2019 10:08 AM
Nov 2018
As an experience, if it's enjoyable then is an enjoyable experience and good time if not the opposite.
Jan 16, 2019 10:11 AM

Apr 2017
Honestly I can't basically remember a thing of my favorites anime, except my top 3.

But that's the good part. You don't remember anything, but when you read the manga of the anime or rewatch some scenes then you can say "Oh right I remember this thing!".
Jan 19, 2019 10:41 AM
Nov 2018
Zelkiiro said:

It's an understandable way in order to prepare yourself for making a review. In my case 99 out of 100 times i review the anime days after watching it just to see how well i can remember it.
Jun 15, 2023 6:32 AM
Apr 2023
well for me it's like when i watched the anime once or more and i liked it and i want to watch it again like after couple of months later the bad thing for me that if a watch one episode from that anime, i will remember what the whole anime was about and what happened 
Jun 15, 2023 6:49 AM

Mar 2016
Let says around 60-70% for most anime.

Jun 15, 2023 7:51 AM

Jun 2015
My memory is normally pretty good and I often remember small details most people don't. But when it comes to anime, I don't remember that much, especially when months/years pass and I haven't had any new contact with anime I've seen.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Jun 15, 2023 7:54 AM

Feb 2020
It depends on the show and how much I liked it.
Jun 15, 2023 8:13 AM

Jun 2023
I haven’t watched Cowboy Bebop in years but it’s background shots of planets and stars is still turning in my mind like a jack daniels shot, I’m still a little tipsy from that show
Jun 15, 2023 8:22 AM

Feb 2019
It depends on many factors tbh. Like how recently did I watch it, did it impacted me personally, did it have any memorable moments, did it leave a lasting impression, how much I enjoyed it, etc.
Jun 15, 2023 8:32 AM

Jul 2022
I cant remember too many details, but i usually remember the general plot. If i've enjoyed the anime a lot then im able to remember more stuff, but it's rare. Oh, also the characters name are always a problem, i remember only the ones of some character i loved or hated a lot, otherwise i'll foget it the next day after completing the anime lol
Jun 15, 2023 9:00 AM

Jan 2023
I'd say I'm pretty good at remembering the anime I've watched, I did have to remember the anime I watched before using MAL to track it lol

"You win this round. You doggies."
Jun 15, 2023 9:01 AM

Jun 2015
BackstageMage said:
oh no................ same T.T

im generally terrible with memory 
Jun 15, 2023 10:04 AM

May 2023
Although, I always try to pay full attention while watching something I only remember something about it due to its impact. There are some anime with simple storylines, but I can't recall even the names of characters, while there are some anime with complex storylines and multiple characters but somehow I managed to remember very minute details which I would've forgotten otherwise.

This issue is common while watching sequels. For example, there are events taking place during third or fourth season of an anime and it was foreshadowed halfway in the first season which aired 8 years ago, I doubt I would remember it.
Jun 15, 2023 12:34 PM

Sep 2007
Butterfly_White said:
I tend to forget most things about animes I watched. Over the years, I barely remember anything about most animes I watched. Even recent animes are not spared, I don't bother remembering much of anything.
More or less the same and that's usually take awhile after I've seen them is when I start to forget about them till I either generally look at my list or it gets somewhat brought up in a conversation casually.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

27 by Mishiia »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 7 hours ago

12 by Thanatos1 »»
6 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

33 by Coaghim »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 9 hours ago

37 by Tabbs919 »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 25 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.