Forum Settings
Forums

reviews should have constructive criticism parts (your likes, your dislikes, and your suggestions for the show)

New
Jan 14, 2019 5:00 AM

Jan 2009
as the title says can future reviews have this things? making constructive criticism in parts like this can be more helpful, because some of the reviews i have read are all about likes or all about dislikes (but rarely both) and its rare for them to make suggestions on how to improve the show or story especially if it will have a potential sequel

EDIT:

@moderators @Tenma im not trying to shame/bash the reviewer but giving an example of a destructive criticism (rather than a constructive criticism) of a show, the reviews are public anyway so they are subject to criticism all the time too, again im giving an example of a review and not an example of the person or the reviewer

Mod Edit: Removed link to review. Don't shame/bash other users for their reviews.
degJan 14, 2019 10:33 PM
Jan 14, 2019 5:47 AM

Apr 2018
Certainly there is a lot of toxic reviews, trolls or spam. However, it seems that it does not violate the Review Guidelines, so I do not know what to say. Preliminary reviews are the best there is, and that user usually makes preliminary reviews. There is also the option to report it, although I do not know if that works.

Of all implement that would be a little vague, since those options are specified in the four sections: History, Art, Character, Sound and Enjoyment.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jan 14, 2019 5:53 AM

Jan 2009
Rachiba said:
Certainly there is a lot of toxic reviews, trolls or spam. However, it seems that it does not violate the Review Guidelines, so I do not know what to say. Preliminary reviews are the best there is, and that user usually makes preliminary reviews. There is also the option to report it, although I do not know if that works.

Of all implement that would be a little vague, since those options are specified in the four sections: History, Art, Character, Sound and Enjoyment.

i have not made a review so i did not know there are specific sections (story, art, character, sound, enjoyment)

i guess my suggestion is to reform those sections with this 3 parts im suggesting or just add this 3 parts more
Jan 16, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Completely agreed. I don't like it when people go and say 'reviews are highly subjective, and therefore anything is allowed'. The people who put their time and effort into writing an actual, constructive review should be the ones at the top.

I think simply removing toxic, overly-sarcastic, or OTT destructive reviews would be a nice course of actions.
Jan 16, 2019 7:27 AM

Apr 2016
changelog said:
destructive reviews

Those are actually great thing for the community, at least the kids will realize their favorite anime is a pure trash.
Jan 16, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
changelog said:
destructive reviews

Those are actually great thing for the community, at least the kids will realize their favorite anime is a pure trash.

But when they're on your favourite anime you can't help but feel pissed.
Jan 16, 2019 7:51 AM

Apr 2016
changelog said:
Swagernator said:

Dude, im NGE and Fate fan, im under constant attack.
Jan 16, 2019 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
changelog said:

Dude, im NGE and Fate fan, im under constant attack.

People just attack those series because they have nothing better to do and cannot understand their beauty.
Jan 16, 2019 8:21 AM

Feb 2015
I mean reviews themselves had devolve from what it is right now, currently straying away from its truest sense.
Jan 18, 2020 6:37 AM

Jan 2009
bump for MAL staff exposure
Jan 18, 2020 9:53 AM

Aug 2018
I agree, and that's what I have been sort of complaining about in the other thread. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1462900&show=100. People can write all sorts of garbage without any repercussions and proper backlash.

There's another point though, which pertains to the format of the reviews. Some reviews can count as "constructive criticism", yet the whole review can be entirely stupid or blatantly inaccurate. Often, points are rarely analyzed in depth and counterpoints and different perspectives are never touched on or appreciated.

Take for example, a very popular and recent anime Kimetsu no Yaiba. Looking at the top review, the reviewer's first real critique of the show is the following: "Before his family was killed, Tanjiro hadn’t fought at all. Somehow he barely knew what demons were. Demons are enough of a threat in this world that there are demon-hunting squads, yet this family didn’t know about them." If anyone has even spent 5 minutes thinking about this, they should be able to come up with many possible reasons or scenarios why this is the case. Yet this is passed as "constructive criticism". Points like these are never elaborated or viewed in different angles. While this reviewer does have some more well reasoned points, some are just utterly stupid.

What's even worse is some people dedicate one or multiple paragraphs detailing the actual plot, intending to be read like a synopsis. Unless the intention of a review is to also detail what the show is about to people who have not watched it, what's the point in making people read through all this crap that is already obvious to them?
OpticflashJan 18, 2020 9:59 AM
Jan 18, 2020 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
I don't even read reviews anymore and this is one of the main reasons.
It's a shame I can't trust my MAL brethren where this is concerned,
and jesus doesn't seem to be around anymore

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
12 hours ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.