Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2019 2:52 PM

May 2009
If you fast forward through the "credits song", at the end of the movie there is a still scene of what I believe is Iorph sometime after Maquia and Leilia returned (judging by the Renato that carried them to freedom).
Screenshot:

Now that to me is obvious, but the question that bugs me is: "Who is the red haired female in this picture?"
Has anyone already answered this? I couldn't not find the answer.

Color of her hair might also be orange or brown, but that would still mean she's not of Iorph, or at least she's half breed. My guess is that that female is a child to either Leilia or Maquia. Did Leilia bring her daughter back with her? I doubt that's the case, but it's not impossible, seeing how she didn't really have anyone (as opposed to Ariel having a family, hence Maquia could leave him without worrying).
If it's not Leilia's child, that leads me to believe Maquia had another child. But who would be the father? Krim? Doubt it, it would have been blonde child like other Iorph children. Who then? Lang? Or dare I suggest, Ariel? When? Did she get kidnapped and impregnated by some soldiers/bandits, having Krim rescue her from them?

Perhaps it's neither of their's child, and it's either a random woman that they allowed in, or a child of another "unfortunate" Iorph victim. But I don't think it's a coincidence they put that red haired female in the shot.

I thought maybe it's a 'look at the past' , basically Maquia with her dyed hair, talking to Ariel. But that guy doesn't really seem like Ariel, hair color is also very blonde like other Iorph inhabitants.

Either way it's triggering me not knowing xD I would like to hear your thoughts and theories, or even better if it has already been explained. I only watched this movie and that's all I know about this universe, so please do forgive me if I missed something cause of other material. It could be simple, but I'm missing it cause I am a daft goon. Thank you for your help~
Jan 14, 2019 10:19 AM

Dec 2009
I chose to believe it's Leilia's daughter, that is cause she wanted to meet her daughter so much, and the way she left without even saying anything meaningful to her made me really bittersweet as if it completely meant nothing to her. Maybe she somehow reunited to her in the future.

x3mslayer said:
Did she get kidnapped and impregnated by some soldiers/bandits, having Krim rescue her from them?

Didn't Krim say that when a Iorph's hair grow that much it's cause they're pregnant? So I think Maquia was pregnant after all, they wanted a male heir to that prince so maybe that's why. Kinda weird they didn't bring it up later on tho, and she was running around as if everything was just fine with her and wasn't carrying a baby at all.

Either way, I still think it's Leilia's. Or maybe one of the Iorph's just happened to marry a human girl.
Jan 14, 2019 11:59 AM

May 2009
I can see that being the case. Any of those seem possible, I feel like the animators are messing with us ^-^

I recall reading the other forum posts looking for the answer, and someone mentioned that Maquia being pregnant might have been mis-translation or misinterpretation; and the real reason is.. well, simply time made her hair grow without her being able to cut it. Maybe Krim was delusional. I don't really know as the movie didn't touch any more on that. And like you said, she was roughed up after that, doesn't seem like she was worried about the baby in her. In the end, it could be someone else's kid/wife. But I wish I knew more about it :)

Thank you for your insight~
Maybe the creators just wanted us to paint the story behind that girl.
Jan 14, 2019 12:38 PM

Nov 2010
Thanks for your curiosity, I didn't even notice that there was a red-haired girl in the background!

I was low key hoping that it was Medmel (Leilia's daughter). Afterall, she was left there in that castle like a reject/defective product like she originally was. Although, Leilia did mention to her daughter to forget everything about her existence after she regained her freedom. So it's definitely not her.

Also after the war, they are no longer hiding their identity as Iorph anymore. They are just casually showing off their hair in public unlike before even the Iorph guy with the goatee. Maybe the times have changed and there's equality in the land? Maybe the picture shows normal humans can go to their place like tourists? Haha who knows.
HollowDollJan 14, 2019 12:42 PM
Jan 15, 2019 1:55 AM

Nov 2010
There are only two versions that make sense.
It is either the princess that is maybe 2-3 years older than she was when Leilia left her and she somehow found her way there
or
all the little groups are depictions of Maquia and friends in different stages of time and the one with the orange/brownish hair is her when she was living with the family and baby Ariel.

I think you can choose what you want to believe with that one.
Jan 16, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2009
They all make sense honestly. In the end it's like zwolf12 said, it's whatever we choose to believe, unless there is certain information out there.

I can totally see it being Medmel, if she for example traced down Leilia and decided to stick around :) I mean, even if mother doesn't want her there; but on the other hand, Leilia could have said those things in the spur of the moment, and might change her mind years later when Medmel comes to her town.
Depictions of past are possible, although I have my doubts mostly because of the white hair guy the girl is talking to. It could be the merchant she met on that night, who knows.
As HollowDoll also said, it could be a random human that visited the place. Maybe the land is more open to foreign visitors in the future, or it's a trader of some sort. It could literally be any random reason, and I hate the makers for not providing more hints xD

Thank you all for your posts! I'll weave it into Hibiol :P
Feb 12, 2019 2:21 PM

Jan 2017
In an interview, Okada said that the scene reflects that while some of the Iolph were dispersed after their village was attacked, their lives continued on. Some of them, just like Leilia, ended up having children. These children are still Iolph's though, so when everyone rebuilt the village they were all invited back. Based on this, you could technically assume that the girl in the back is Medmel, especially with how intentionally she stands out.

Article I referenced above:
( https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/22/maquia-when-the-promised-flower-blooms-ending-explained-and-details-from-the-director )

If that is the case though, I wish they would've shown the process of them reuniting. If I were to guess though, I'd say Medmel became fascinated with her mom after seeing how strong she was while escaping the castle. And since she didn't have any obligations after the kingdom was destroyed, maybe she made meeting her mother again her life mission. Then again, it could just be another rando's child.
Feb 15, 2019 6:34 AM

May 2009
Pickled_Chips said:
In an interview, Okada said that the scene reflects that while some of the Iolph were dispersed after their village was attacked, their lives continued on. Some of them, just like Leilia, ended up having children. These children are still Iolph's though, so when everyone rebuilt the village they were all invited back. Based on this, you could technically assume that the girl in the back is Medmel, especially with how intentionally she stands out.

( https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/22/maquia-when-the-promised-flower-blooms-ending-explained-and-details-from-the-director )

If that is the case though, I wish they would've shown the process of them reuniting. If I were to guess though, I'd say Medmel became fascinated with her mom after seeing how strong she was while escaping the castle. And since she didn't have any obligations after the kingdom was destroyed, maybe she made meeting her mother again her life mission. Then again, it could just be another rando's child.

Thank you for sharing that info. It would make sense. And yes, I would love to see the reunion if that indeed is Medmel. In fact, her journey to Iolph could be an interesting adventure on it's own.
Feb 16, 2019 7:13 PM

May 2016
My thought here is that Krim said those words because Maquia grew her hair perhaps she's being sentimental and doesn't want to cut her orange colored hair. So he cut it instead...because ahe isn't pregnant at all?

Feb 19, 2019 5:37 AM
Mar 2016
Jamesu--kun said:
My thought here is that Krim said those words because Maquia grew her hair perhaps she's being sentimental and doesn't want to cut her orange colored hair. So he cut it instead...because ahe isn't pregnant at all?

Seems like a mistranslation in (some?) subtitles... In the dub Krim actually says:

"Your hair has gotten so long - Back in our village we were only permitted hair past our waist if we had a child."

...which makes much more sense to me...

Feb 22, 2019 3:56 PM

May 2009
Wolf_Wynterson said:
Jamesu--kun said:

Seems like a mistranslation in (some?) subtitles... In the dub Krim actually says:

"Your hair has gotten so long - Back in our village we were only permitted hair past our waist if we had a child."

That would make more sense. In fact, I read in other topics/forums that it is a mis-translation. I don't know for sure, but it does cause lot of confusion. Thanks for clearing that up.
Feb 22, 2019 7:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Just rewatched the final bits and teared up again.
God, I can’t get my mind of this movie and every time I do, my eyes get so watery. Just imagining the pain and sorrows Maquia will have to carry on and move forward with is just too heart-wrenching. That moment when a mother outlives her very own child and witnesses both the child’s first and last moments is just .. numbing to my heart. I feel so empty ;-;.

But anyway, to answer you question, I think the red/orange-haired Iorph is, in fact, Medmel. It could be some other Iorph bearing a child after rape or such too and that’s completely possible too, but I feel like Medmel’s admiration of her mother, like in that short reunion scene made her go out of her way in search for Leila and the Iorphs.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that this picture is a respresentation that humans and Iorphs are getting along better than ever before. That is, a cross-breed between the Iorphs and the Humans is now in effect. While there’s very little of a chance for this to be true, I feel like it could certainly be something of this sort too.
_MushiRock11_Feb 22, 2019 7:14 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 23, 2019 3:20 PM

Dec 2016
As said above, i'd take the guess of the princess but it's clearly said that both leilia and the princess were going to live far apart. [reads all previous comments]

Well Pickled_Chips said it all, thumbs up :)!
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 3, 2019 6:38 PM

Oct 2013
Liinah said:
I chose to believe it's Leilia's daughter, that is cause she wanted to meet her daughter so much, and the way she left without even saying anything meaningful to her made me really bittersweet as if it completely meant nothing to her. Maybe she somehow reunited to her in the future.

Yup, you summed it up about right, I'll believe that this happened too.

Mar 4, 2019 12:10 AM
Apr 2016
the place is Iorph vilage, and Leila choose to left her child so I don't really think she was Medmel. I think she was random Iorph daughter with human but have Iorph genes (since she live there)
Mar 19, 2019 8:33 AM
Jan 2018
Is Maquia pregnant or I just got confused??
Apr 27, 2019 3:53 PM

Mar 2018
I'm pretty sure Krim kidnaps her to engage/marry Baiera prince, same as Leilia.So Krim can have his revenge.(Why would Baiera attack the Mezarte otherwise?)Thats why she was held in cagelike room.And unfortunately, thats why she got pregnant.
Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
May 29, 2019 10:14 AM
Mar 2016
I think she is Leilia's daughter. She is definitely not a tourist or a foreign person because they don't teach their crafts and arts to others. And the king and prince of Mezarte ran away and Medmel left alone. Imperial of Mezarte destroyed and Medmel had no place anymore. She is not an outsider so she can live in and help the lorph.
And her mother leilia loved her so much that she was alived because of her.

The most thing that I wonder is where the children in the picture came from? Their city burned in fire when Mezarte went there and killed all of them except women. How children ran away and why there in no adult except Leilia and Maquia in the picture?
May 29, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2009
I can see her as Leilia's daughter for sure. And I'm sure there were children conceived sometime after the assault on Iorph.
Thank you all for your theories, they all seem possible in a way. I think the creators of the movie achieved what they wanted: to pique our interests and make us think about it. What interesting tales have come from a single picture :D
Jun 8, 2019 2:34 AM

Feb 2007
Pickled_Chips said:

It says right in the article that the image takes place many years later. So it's another descendant.
Jul 28, 2019 2:01 AM
Dec 2016
HOLD ON GUYS!! I think you're all missing something else.

Did anyone notice those 2 kids with brown skin on the front?

Pickled_Chips said:
In an interview, Okada said that the scene reflects that while some of the Iolph were dispersed after their village was attacked, their lives continued on. Some of them, just like Leilia, ended up having children. These children are still Iolph's though, so when everyone rebuilt the village they were all invited back. Based on this, you could technically assume that the girl in the back is Medmel, especially

BASED on that, I can assume that those two kids probably Maquia daughters from her marriage with Barlow (the Half Iolph merchant guys with brown skin). I mean just look at their hairstyle that really looks like Maquia. And that is very likely to be hinted by the scene where Maquia was picked up by Barlow after visiting the old Ariel. It can be a symbolic that those two were married.

And the picture took places many, many years later and I don't think the brown/red hair girl is Medmel, she should have looks really old if it was her.
Jul 29, 2019 12:04 PM

May 2009
Enigma-kun said:
HOLD ON GUYS!! I think you're all missing something else.

Did anyone notice those 2 kids with brown skin on the front?

Pickled_Chips said:
In an interview, Okada said that the scene reflects that while some of the Iolph were dispersed after their village was attacked, their lives continued on. Some of them, just like Leilia, ended up having children. These children are still Iolph's though, so when everyone rebuilt the village they were all invited back. Based on this, you could technically assume that the girl in the back is Medmel, especially

BASED on that, I can assume that those two kids probably Maquia daughters from her marriage with Barlow (the Half Iolph merchant guys with brown skin). I mean just look at their hairstyle that really looks like Maquia. And that is very likely to be hinted by the scene where Maquia was picked up by Barlow after visiting the old Ariel. It can be a symbolic that those two were married.

And the picture took places many, many years later and I don't think the brown/red hair girl is Medmel, she should have looks really old if it was her.

Ah, I see that being the thing. Man, so many possibilities! Thanks for the info!
Jul 30, 2019 10:10 PM
Feb 2017
just finished the movie and in my view, the foreign-haired girl is most likely Maquia's child with the prince of the country which invades Mezarte later.

Basically, Krim kidnaps and sells Maquia to that country so she could bear a child for them (this country is no better than Mezarte, they just want power) in exchange for them invading Mezarte so that Krim could rescue Leila.

In the article provided by Pickled_Chips, the director says Maquia has been in that room for 10 years, and the scene where Krim cuts off Maquia's hair indicates that he just wants to get rid of any trace of impurity humans forced on Maquia (notice how he is aggressive in this scene, and long hair means pregnancy, as explained by Krim, I dont think the translation is wrong.)

The rest of the children are just descendants from surviving Iolph. The article is very clear about this.
Nov 18, 2019 6:27 AM
Nov 2019
My opinion for the picture is when maquia and barlow success rebuild old lorph village and gather all lorph and semi loprh they know before start a adventure to find ariel, for red haired girl on picture i think is leilia daughter.
I through maquia not pregnant, in room scene krim only say "lorph can leghten hair when they already giving birth" after that scene he want cut maquia hair, krim just dont accept maquia rise ariel like a mother and upset because he think only maquia gained happyness
CyartNov 19, 2019 1:50 AM
Jan 5, 2020 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
tokizo1312 said:
In the article provided by Pickled_Chips, the director says Maquia has been in that room for 10 years, and the scene where Krim cuts off Maquia's hair indicates that he just wants to get rid of any trace of impurity humans forced on Maquia (notice how he is aggressive in this scene, and long hair means pregnancy, as explained by Krim, I dont think the translation is wrong.)

I don't know if she said exactly 10 years, but in the booklet of the collector edition, there are illustrations of Ariel at the story key points with his age. He is 15 in Dorail and 21 in Mezarte, so 6 years of captivity according to this source. Same information on the official website (http://sayoasa.jp/en/history.html).

I don't think she's pregnant. It's been 6 years she's there and she would be pregnant only now? I saw this scene in 3 audio languages and with 4 different subtitles and none explicitly says she is pregnant. The official subtitles and dubs clearly say that Iorphs have to have a child to grow their hair, as a tradition.
And I don't think there a translation error. In Japanese, Krim basically says that if an Iorph has long hair, it's because has given birth, which can more rarely translated by bearing a child. So, this can be interpreted in two ways: she's not allowed to have long hair because she's pregnant or she is indeed pregnant.

As for the children in the end, an interview of Okada in the collector booklet edition mostly tells the same thing as the IGN interview. Like Maquia, the surviving Iorphs have opened themselves to the outside world and there have been new "meetings" (and obviously children), which is, in the end, one of the themes of the movie. It's no more than that.
Feb 3, 2020 7:11 AM
Feb 2020
my theory is that the girl in the back scene is actually a pure Iorph or a half breed iorph. Judging the fact how Okada said how the theme of the end was how the iorph people open themselves to the outside world

Theory no.1 Its not mendel but what if its mendel? or what if mendel is an Iorph?
The red hair girl is not obviously mendel but because she is an half iorph and accepted by the people judging how the shot goes. Iorph can be different even tho having a same genetic line.

Remember Mendel as a kid almost having a skin like an iorph(pls correct me if i am color blind on that) Also remember that if we will gonna based the Age of Ariel and how mendel grew up is shockingly slow... I watched that scene three times and still thinking how the time frame was because Ariel is 15 and judging the fact Mendel just look like an 6 years old

(But she is actually a 9 years old judging how she first introduced when Ariel is 15 and she is slightly more taller than Ariel when she got to 9 so respectively she is at the age of 9 in the events of Dorail).

Due to the fact the time skip of "10 years or 6 years" Why it is specifically chose to be 6 years? althought how the time skip based on ariel age that supposed to be mean Mendel is at the age of 15 or the slowing down effect will begin. We all know althought not specifically mention that when they reached Teen the age process will be slowed down. Hence if Mendel is the one in the last shot she is able to be a great candidate due to the fact she is a hybrid she age more a little bit faster same as Buriol age. Buriol also have an none Iorph and human characteristics just like the blond hair and the dark skin.
Remember at the end Buriol mentioned that "We're going to another someone's parting" which made me goosebumps that it is Mendel they are going for. If she followed how fast a normal can grow old she is much younger than Dita and Ariel so possibily S she is a human is also there.

Theory no.2 Is Maquia actually pregant?

For me its a no no. If you locked up in a chamber or busy thinking about your Adopted Son Obviously she have a time tl grew a hair long like that. Also her hair is already long and on hips level when she dyed her hair. But when Krim cuts her hair is beyond than hips level(Also Maquia tied her hair always) Another thing is that if she is pregnant How could she run and fall down during the siege. Yes because maybe its just 2 weeks or so but why she just pregnant just by now?. And even tho if she is pregnant on early stages hell she cannot fall down and run like that the baby will die!!!
Feb 16, 2020 10:13 PM

Sep 2016
Someone has doubts it can be the daughter of Leilia or an half breed from that time period because too much time has passed.

But see, in the end of the movie, when Ariel dies by old age, we are shown the guy that accompanied Maquia...he's the same half breed of the start of the movie, when Maquia finds toddler Ariel.
So it's safe to assume that half breeds retain the longevity trait of their mothers/fathers.

So it's probably Leilia's daughter.
bruh
May 8, 2020 9:10 PM

May 2015
We will never know and that's for the best
May 20, 2020 9:45 PM

May 2020
Pickled_Chips said:

In the end they got a happy ending. Thank you for this man
Jun 21, 2020 9:26 PM
Jul 2019
Achei um filme super emocionante, do começo ao fim.
Esse filme passou para mim um sentimento muito forte é eu gostei desse sentimento.(Amor)
Jun 30, 2020 10:20 PM

May 2019
1. Red/orange haired girl: Medmel.

Iorph people are basically Elves. A mixed 1/2 elf usually keep the imortality or at least can choose for it. So Medmel possibly lived long enough to be forgotten by the invasors and then followed her mother.

2. Dark skin kids: mixed Iorphs just like Buriol.

Maquia may ended with Buriol, but the time she was being keep captive by Krim, SURELY he not allowed her being touched by no one except a "pure" iorph. And is not likely to be himself, since he was focused in rescue and reunite with Leilia.
So, that comment about her hair was pointless. She was not pregnant.

The most interesting to me in this picture is how it's look like they lose their culture and traditions (you can tell by the clothes) and become similar to common villagers. The tower of Hibiols is nothing more than ruins.

Thanks to that now they can accept mixeds as Buriol, and also they learned to love mortals and be prepared to the separation due to the life spam.

---
Rob7Feb 13, 2021 9:00 AM
Aug 6, 2020 4:35 PM
Dec 2018
Can someone answer my question? I watched the Italian version (idk if is the same) and the scene where krim kinapped her, he said that iolphs hair can grow over the shoulder only after they got pregnant or after they give birth .. So she had her own child? Or not..
Aug 6, 2020 4:52 PM
Dec 2018
Rob7 said:
1. Red/orange haired girl: Medmel.

Iorph people are basically Elves. A mixed 1/2 elf usually keep the imortalify or at least can choose for it. So Medmel possibly lived long enough to be forgotten by the invasors and then followed her mother.

2. Dark skin kids: mixed Iorphs just like Buriol.

Maquia may ended with Buriol, but the time she was being keep captive by Krim, SURELY he not allowed her being touched by no one except a "pure" iorph. And is not likely to be himself, since he was focused in rescue and reunite with Leilia.
So, that comment about her hair was pointless. She was not pregnant.

The most interesting to me in this picture is how it's look like they lose their culture and traditions (you can tell by the clothes) and become similar to common villagers. The tower of Hibiols is nothing more than ruins.

Thanks to that now they can accept mixeds as Buriol, and also they learned to love mortals and be prepared to the separation due to the life spam.

Hey Can someone answer my question? I watched the Italian version (idk if is the same) and the scene where krim kinapped her, he said that iolphs hair can grow over the shoulder only after they got pregnant or after they give birth .. So she had her own child? Or not..
Aug 6, 2020 6:51 PM

May 2019
Maiikish said:
Can someone answer my question? I watched the Italian version (idk if is the same) and the scene where krim kinapped her, he said that iolphs hair can grow over the shoulder only after they got pregnant or after they give birth .. So she had her own child? Or not..

Right here:

Wolf_Wynterson said:
Jamesu--kun said:

She was NOT pregnant at that time. And until her leaves Ariel, he was her only "child".

What you watched was bad translation. Japanese is a very trick language about unique meanings and mistranslations.

If you give the same japanese text to 2 professionals translators, even so the results will have some phrases completely different.
Rob7Aug 6, 2020 6:59 PM
Aug 29, 2020 8:09 AM
Aug 2020
It does seem unlikely that Maquia had a child, seeing how her relation with Ariel (and Leilia's with her daughter) is the core subject of the movie. How could her having yet another child be brushed off with some vague piece of dialogue? It should be incredibly important in the context of completing her story.
At least it seems she didn't have a child in the released cut of the movie? Starting with the scene with Ariel leaving Maquia story feels awfully rushed as if it was missing a lot of important scenes, so I think it is possible Maquia could become pregnant in some earlier versions of the story and the ambiguity and the feel of rush at the end of the story comes from makers cutting this part off. Maybe the cuts were made for other reason, but the whole certainly seems to be lacking something.
Dec 11, 2020 1:08 PM
Nov 2020
x3mslayer said:
If you fast forward through the "credits song", at the end of the movie there is a still scene of what I believe is Iorph sometime after Maquia and Leilia returned (judging by the Renato that carried them to freedom).
Screenshot:

Now that to me is obvious, but the question that bugs me is: "Who is the red haired female in this picture?"
Has anyone already answered this? I couldn't not find the answer.

Color of her hair might also be orange or brown, but that would still mean she's not of Iorph, or at least she's half breed. My guess is that that female is a child to either Leilia or Maquia. Did Leilia bring her daughter back with her? I doubt that's the case, but it's not impossible, seeing how she didn't really have anyone (as opposed to Ariel having a family, hence Maquia could leave him without worrying).
If it's not Leilia's child, that leads me to believe Maquia had another child. But who would be the father? Krim? Doubt it, it would have been blonde child like other Iorph children. Who then? Lang? Or dare I suggest, Ariel? When? Did she get kidnapped and impregnated by some soldiers/bandits, having Krim rescue her from them?

Perhaps it's neither of their's child, and it's either a random woman that they allowed in, or a child of another "unfortunate" Iorph victim. But I don't think it's a coincidence they put that red haired female in the shot.

I thought maybe it's a 'look at the past' , basically Maquia with her dyed hair, talking to Ariel. But that guy doesn't really seem like Ariel, hair color is also very blonde like other Iorph inhabitants.

Either way it's triggering me not knowing xD I would like to hear your thoughts and theories, or even better if it has already been explained. I only watched this movie and that's all I know about this universe, so please do forgive me if I missed something cause of other material. It could be simple, but I'm missing it cause I am a daft goon. Thank you for your help~

lol red hair girl. in that last one picture is nothing, but just a random girl they have shown.

don't you remember the guy who said he is half iroph,the one who was at the time when maquia picked baby ariel,that guy even had red hairs, in future they irophs and humans may have mixed so anything can happen. and it's neithers child not maquia nor leilas.
Jan 18, 2021 12:44 AM
Jul 2020
This is an old board which I'm not sure anyone has been to in a while, but I remember that when Maquia and Dita were talking just after she gave birth, Maquia was musing about how she'd never experienced giving birth. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that the subtitles with her and Krim were correctly translated to insinuate that she had a baby. To add on to that, Krim still has feelings for Leilia as can be seen just before he dies from his gunshot wound and I don't feel like he would give up on that insane love.

As for the woman with the red hair, I'm in the same vein as a few other people here in that it is a descendant of both humans and Iorphs. Her being Medmel seems off to me, as Leilia pretty much abandoned her. Also, now that Maquia is presumably an elder in the population, it's not a stretch to assume that her experiences with humans like Ariel and Lang have led her to be far more accepting of them, even allowing Iorphs to intermarry because she didn't have the same feelings as the previous elder had.

That's just my take, it'll be a wonder if anyone else visits this page and sees this at the bottom of the page :D
Jan 20, 2021 3:31 PM

May 2009
I believe I read everyone's take on this so far, and the reason for this forum post still existing is so that people toss their rock in the river as they pass by :)
I like the movie, and I like how that final picture just brought on curiosity. Some people weren't really curious, that's fair; it could be any random red haired woman just visiting the city that has been open to guests. But I also like to believe the creators made that image on purpose, and gave that woman red hair on purpose, to inspire these thoughts.
Even though and answer might not exist, or it is just random, it was fun thinking about it. And I personally think everyone's point here is valid.
Thanks for stopping by~
Jan 24, 2021 7:01 AM
May 2020
tokizo1312 said:
just finished the movie and in my view, the foreign-haired girl is most likely Maquia's child with the prince of the country which invades Mezarte later.

Basically, Krim kidnaps and sells Maquia to that country so she could bear a child for them (this country is no better than Mezarte, they just want power) in exchange for them invading Mezarte so that Krim could rescue Leila.

The rest of the children are just descendants from surviving Iolph. The article is very clear about this.

Wish that's not the case, but it most likely is 🤔🤔🤔
FatimaSenpaiApr 12, 2021 10:10 PM
May 5, 2021 7:33 AM
Apr 2021
I don't know about the red-haired girl but maquia never had a child. Krim mocks maquia for growing her hair (she was kept imprisoned for 10 years ) as by iorph tradition only pregnant women should grow their hair beyond their hipline . Maquia never cut her hair when she's with ariel ( she dyed it but never cut it )
May 8, 2021 11:42 PM

Sep 2019
RahulCalloway3 said:
I don't know about the red-haired girl but maquia never had a child. Krim mocks maquia for growing her hair (she was kept imprisoned for 10 years ) as by iorph tradition only pregnant women should grow their hair beyond their hipline . Maquia never cut her hair when she's with ariel ( she dyed it but never cut it )
According to an interview the picture is meant to show that some of the children the Ioph had with humans followed them when they returned to thier homeland.

I'm gonna guess the girl is Leila's daughter, since the ending shows us a halfbreed is immortal too, they just lack the golden hair & age until adulthood compared to thier parents who look like teens
May 11, 2021 7:05 AM
Oct 2016
Why is Krim even mentioned though...
Aug 14, 2021 5:58 PM
Nov 2017
I had the same question of who the girl with the colored hair was. I have 2 possible answers that made sense to me. Either Maquia (or another Iorph) dyed their hair, or that girl is Barlow's daughter (the half Iorph who was in the tent where Maquia found Ariel. Same guy who was with Maquia at the end of the movie visiting Ariel). Also, I'm pretty sure he was the only guy with Iorph blood left, which is how their numbers increased. I might be wrong about that, though.
Aug 19, 2021 7:00 PM

May 2009
The takes keep coming :D
It's amazing how many people see this end scene and start thinking about it, I love it~

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Feb 24, 2018

310 by Rudyanto13 »»
Apr 2, 10:40 PM

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

56 by brandon08967 »»
Feb 17, 12:00 AM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.