Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2019 1:25 PM
May 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okay, that was weird.

Pretty experimental.
Jan 22, 2019 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
What the...

And what's with the random Jungian thing by the end, like... what?!

Apr 23, 2019 6:06 AM

Jul 2010
What the Hell did I watch?
Nov 1, 2019 2:32 PM

Jun 2013
One of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Totally random script.
Dec 16, 2020 9:56 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
This is Mars of Destruction level great!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 17, 2020 3:45 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Man, what a freakish show.

I thought i might get to see some high level quality of ecchiness. But, i was half right and the others just a complete wrong. This show was a joke xD. Yeah, the story telling just absurd. The writer script just wrote whatever they wanted. The plot was unexplainable till the end and the last thing from me, what the fuck was happening at their end? I think its a happy end. But, dang shit right there to overcome every possibility really ruined my mood xd.

I want to give this show a big one score. But hell, Asami just too cute at those animation era, and her voice actrees was a top-notch. Thats the only strength over this damn show. So, at the end, i must decide my honest scores: its a 3/10!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 24, 2021 6:59 PM
Oct 2017
huh..well that was something
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2021 1:02 AM
Oct 2018
lmfaooooooooooooooooo
NoBeanJun 1, 2021 2:44 AM
Jul 22, 2021 7:46 AM

Feb 2014
That last act, ummm... went places, for sure.
Aug 23, 2021 4:00 PM

Aug 2017
I lost it when classical music started playing during the "fun". I've only heard it used in LOGH beforehand so that was hilarious given my associations with such an epic orchestra.

Hisashi's room had a manji on a wall for a short time? Why? We'll never know.

I want to know who voiced "God" or whoever that was. Familiar voice.
Aug 30, 2021 10:49 AM

Jul 2013
Strange but not the level where it becomes memorable. Only real WTF moment was the brutal knifing of the doppelganger.

That really felt out of place.
Nov 6, 2021 2:46 AM

Apr 2019
Starts out as stereotypical "sudden naked girlfriend appearance" romp, but soon turns into an inter-dimensional wtf-do-I-watch extravaganza. Story clearly benefits from heavy drug usage, yet the art style is vanilla 80s babe moe and nudity. Silly, weird and cute. (4/10)

Apr 11, 2022 7:47 PM

Oct 2012
They used Dvorak's New World Symphony for a sex scene.

Incredible.
Apr 18, 2022 2:28 PM

Nov 2016
Yeah, this was hella wtf in a funny way

xspookydarknessx said:
They used Dvorak's New World Symphony for a sex scene.

Incredible.

Best part was when he stabbed the Doppelgänger aka animus

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 27, 2022 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
WOW, this was mid-80's all the way. When city pop was at its all time high. Two years ago I found this anime while looking for some of the most obscure anime on MyAnimeList that can actually BE considered "anime". I don't know how -- maybe I was browsing. I hadn't watched a second of it and barely new the story, but I decided it was something I needed to watch. It's been on my "Will Watch" list since then, but I haven't gotten around to it. Then the acclaimed "obscure anime" YouTuber Kenny Lauderdale made a video about it and I knew it was time. Tbh, I wasn't disappointed.

It was simple but chaotic, both definitely traits that rightfully earn it a low score... but nevertheless, I was shocked to have watched it and found myself enjoying it the full way through. I was preparing myself for garbage, but this actually wasn't bad imo. It's literally just Urusei Yatsura except the MC feels the opposite way about the waifu and that she's naked the entire time...
The animation was fine, the music was banger after banger, all the character designs are good (even the cartoony ones)... everything was average (in an amusing, non-negative way) except for the story, which was all-over-the-place and a little inadequate. But at LEAST it was easy to understand. It wasn't convoluted. As chaotic as it was, I think it was all easy to follow -- by the end of the anime, I wasn't left feeling confused about anything. It was just a goofy little 40-minute OVA to pass the time, and I think it did its job.

Usually, anime characters intended to be "cute" (especially from this era) miss the mark, but something about the Asami character was just so frickin adorable.

On a side note, there was a song around the 23:40 mark. The whole soundtrack consisted of bangers, but this one in particular really appealed to me and I found myself searching for it. Shazam picked up nothing and the lyrics were yielding no results on Google -- I was beginning to think it was lost media. But then I noticed that the OP, ED, and Asami character shared the same VA, so I deduced that the "Fun Fun Fun" song also featured Miki Takahashi (the VA). I Googled her name, plus "Fun Fun Fun" and sure enough, I located the song. (I didn't bother Googling "fun fun fun" because there's probably a lot of songs with those lyrics and I didn't think I'd get any results in my favor). Turns out, the song's (possibly) from an album called "Dress Up" released 1985-1986 at the height of city pop. It's a hard album to locate but a small YouTube channel hosts a video with the full album in it.

Anyway, Kenny Lauderdale said this OVA would be a waste of one's 40 minutes. I love the guy, but I'd have to respectfully disagree. And I'd also disagree with the score the majority has bestowed upon this OVA. I know I said it was understandable, and it is for the most part, but I think the OVA is more worth a 5-6. There are some good Urusei Yatsura episodes, but it seems like 50% of them are worse than this Majo Demo Steady OVA. The humor and quality of the two are pretty similar. So the drastic score gap surprises me.

Like I was saying, I actually feel surprisingly fulfilled after watching this. Like I just bore witness to a hidden gem. Their heart was in the right place, and you can at least tell they tried with this anime. The effort is there.

EDIT: I noticed a lot of people rated this show poorly because the story sucked arse. I can understand that. But I do think it was intentionally chaotic. It starts off with a run-of-the-mill stock protagonist office worker, and then erupts into police chases, motorcycle chases, jetpacks, pyramids and alternate dimensions. It's such a gorgeous juxtaposition between the MUNDANE and the SURREAL. I don't think it was experimental or intentionally abstract -- rather they were trying to impose a WTF reaction unto the viewer.
Not just that but there are so many REWATCHABLE moments in this little OVA (and catchy music), so it's great for the VHS market... I'm the kinda person who can only watch something once because I can't get reimmersed if I know the story..... but the lack of story in this OVA makes it akin to a music video, in which you can rewatch solely for the fun of it.
removed-userApr 27, 2022 11:10 PM
Aug 15, 2022 12:53 AM

Jan 2018
WTF? Probably the weirdest anime I ever watched. But I think the only reason it's weird cos the story's all over the place. It feels like a compilation of a much longer story but the chosen scenes are all random and lack any real context. There is a story here which can be pieced together but just barely. So it's not 100% nonsense.

I did enjoy this. This anime felt like something I'd see in a fever dream.

This shit's actually a LN adaptation? I can't imagine what it must read like.

Thank you Kenny for bringing this to my attention. For those who want to watch it, you can find the whole OVA on YouTube.
0451Aug 15, 2022 3:21 AM
Nov 23, 2022 10:49 PM

Aug 2021
Yeah, that was definitely something.
Jan 20, 2023 8:41 PM

Jan 2020
Nice dementia anime.

Wait, you telling me it's not?
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 29, 1:44 PM

May 2018
Hilariously stupid and absolutely random. Not a single grain of intelligence. That's how schizophrenia looks like. That's probably how Joe Biden sees the world around him.
But what's more important, the show is not annoying and you don't hate it at all.

Apr 15, 1:47 PM

Apr 2022
I see no one understood this anime. That's too bad. It's just one of the experimental projects of the 80's about Carl Jung's philosophy in the Urusei Yatsura style.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.