Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2019 6:19 AM

Jan 2010
How people around you think of you when they see you talk anime, watch anime, see your figures, merchs, manga, blu-rays collection?

Is being an anime fan make your life harder?

Is anime a mistake?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2019 6:26 AM

Feb 2014
Watching anime is a common and normal hobby in where I am so the answer is no.

I regret not becoming an anime fan earlier in my life though. xD
Jan 13, 2019 6:34 AM

Feb 2015
I have no merchandise or other physical goods which could hint that I watch anime(well I have a poster of One Piece, but it's not yet been hung, so it doesn't count).

People know because I don't mind talking about it, and my computer is full of anime related stuff, so they'll eventually know if we often see each other/hang out together.

Overall it hasn't changed much in my life. Doesn't make me any more/less social, and watching anime is quite common in compsci so it's not all that weird.
Plus, if someone's actually stupid enough to unironically "shame" me for watching anime, then great, I'm better off not having this person in my life anyway.
Jan 13, 2019 6:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
when are people going to realize that

if you are an anime fan....

its all about how likeable you are as a person....

if somoene doesn't like you "because you like anime"

thats some underlying issue that person has and nothing to do with you
Jan 13, 2019 6:36 AM

Apr 2017
Not really. If anything, it made my life better, and it certainly did not make it any worse. It's a great way to deal with stress, as well as enjoy free time, and it has no downsides as long as it's used in moderation. And anything can be bad if not used in moderation.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 13, 2019 6:39 AM

Oct 2017
those are very different questions though.

Shicchi said:
How people around you think of you when they see you talk anime, watch anime, see your figures, merchs, manga, blu-rays collection?

oh it's not cute at all. i'm the only ~artistic~ friend most my friends have and i'm also the only one who's hooked on Watching stuff. my friends will watch the latest film or the hyped up tv show but the relationship i have with Watching stuff is already far different than the one they keep. so already the fact that i'll spend like 5 hours everyday watching stuff is something they'll talk about. but the fact that i watch anime to most my friends is weird and often considered childish, but as i said, since i'm the ~artistic~ friend, they'll kinda let it slide as just another one of my many "quirks" so they don't bother me about it BUT it wasn't like that in the past and i actually dropped anime for several years just because i wanted to fit in and my taste for anime was effectively bashed and dissed when i was in hs. lol teens are so weird like thinking back on it why the fuck did anyone care that i enjoyed 2d characters since everyone was watching game of thrones and teen wolf and shit anyway. but i digress

Shicchi said:

only in the sense that i'll waste a lot of time and energy into it and it'll often make me feel guilty because i'm not making a profit out of having fun. basically

Shicchi said:
Is anime a mistake?

well. yes
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 13, 2019 6:40 AM

Jul 2017
I don't and I don't really get that affected about what others think but I just love Anime. They can't change my opinion with just a presumptive judgement. People also like other stuff as much as anime fans adore anime but it is just the mindset of society to have stereotypes. Of course there are some stuff that you would be guaranteed to be judged like some weird stuff but it is up to the person to decide if he should try to be dumb in public.

Being an anime fan did not really affect me on what I do as a person since I do other things as well. I have friends that I talk anime with so it's not really a bad thing. Anime is a type of literature which can influence others so by just watching I have ideas which I got from witnessing the philosophies, views and perspective of an anime. I have watched shows that reduced my stress and anxiety which are very calming. For the most part, anime has been a positive impact for me.

Anime is definitely not a mistake. Looking back at history, manga was an inspiration for the Japanese to bounce back from World War 2. There are anime that people might find either good or bad but it is just to make people entertained. It is up for an individual to be influenced in a good or bad way.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Jan 13, 2019 6:40 AM

Nov 2018
I do not regret it in my life, anime has become a hobby of mine maybe there are few regrets. But in majority of what you try to be , it doesn't bother me or them around me

I can easily blend in the mood of my friends. I also have anime fan friends too. So I can't tell that I am lonely in overall
Y'all be good folks, Lolis are Beautiful Angels.

Jan 13, 2019 6:45 AM

Feb 2018
Some people give me weird looks when the find out that in am an otaku, but that's pretty much it.
Anime in and of itself hasn't negatively affected my life, the opposite in fact, it gave me something to do when I was depressed.
Jan 13, 2019 6:45 AM

Jan 2019
I only regret it in the sense that I now have something that eats several hours of my week. Otherwise, I have to agree with MrZawa in that anime has actually improved my life in some areas. Anime is one of the latest things to actually bring me joy and make me forget about real world problems. It has also gotten me in touch with some emotions that have been devoid from my life.

And, no, I don't own any paraphernalia and my interest in anime is a complete secret to those around me. Judgment is not an issue.
Jan 13, 2019 6:46 AM

Jan 2015
No, it's a normal hobby and many people here watch anime. I rarely talk about anime because I don't have that hype like I had it when I started watching. It's like I'm watching a movie, I guess lol.
Jan 13, 2019 6:46 AM

Oct 2011
I don't regret being an anime fan but I regret watching some anime.
Jan 13, 2019 6:53 AM

Nov 2016
I don't think that it would make your life harder unless your are obnoxious af about it. It goes without saying that this holds true for other hobbies as well, also for lifestyles or philosohies.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 13, 2019 6:55 AM

Mar 2017
My only real regret is that anime is taking time away from other interests. That stack of books on my nightstand isn't getting any smaller while I'm binging something off my PTW list.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 13, 2019 6:58 AM

Jul 2012
mwalimu said:
My only real regret is that anime is taking time away from other interests. That stack of books on my nightstand isn't getting any smaller while I'm binging something off my PTW list.

This.
But I don't regret anything. For me is a hobby just like playing games. And, as most of hobbies, it can take time you could or should be using to be productive lol

Jan 13, 2019 7:19 AM
Feb 2017
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

Honestly this. It's just another hobby, trying to make anime seem like it's something to be looked down upon is pretty dumb.
Jan 13, 2019 7:20 AM
Aug 2016
I was stoned to death for watching anime by Jesus Christ
Jan 13, 2019 7:56 AM
May 2016
definitely do not regret it, being an anime fan has made my life easier, it's something i really enjoy
Jan 13, 2019 7:58 AM

May 2014
No not at all. It's a hobby i really enjoy, so i have no reason to regret becoming a fan of it.
Jan 13, 2019 8:05 AM
Jan 2017
Not at all, anime is something I've grown up with and I'm glad that I did. It's probably my 2nd most favourite hobby.

Most of the people don't even know what anime is or don't care, so they don't get weirded out when I talk about anime, though there has been some of them that genuinely believes anime means hentai and use it to ridicule me for some reason. Ignorance is frustrating.

I honestly became disgusted, literally disgusted, when I saw Hajimete no Gal. Such an atrocious anime, absolutely hideous. Animes like these are almost enough to make anime a mistake. Beware!
Hajimete no Gal is still the shittiest anime out there
Jan 13, 2019 8:19 AM

Dec 2017
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 13, 2019 8:39 AM

May 2017
There's nothing to ever regret. Anime changed my life, for the better. It's a hobby, it's a pass time, it's a culture, at this point. I like the feel, the fantasy of it. Idk it just has a good feeling to it.
Jan 13, 2019 8:39 AM

Nov 2017
No I don't and I feel like I'll never. Why? Cause I have nothing better to do.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Jan 13, 2019 8:49 AM

Dec 2015
I got enough manga volumes that I don't know where to place them anymore, I got a few figurens atm too. It's a hobby that I love, spending a bit of cash on FGO too.

I don't care what ppl think and I hope ppl in the anime community is the same as me, don't waste you'r time on what ppl think. It's just a huge load of wasted energy.

I just don't think we shoud stop care about how we looks as we got ppl doing.

And I don't care about ppl that is inlove with a character, if they want that and it makes them happy, good for them.

As long as I do something that I love, I will do it and not care about the rest of the world. Aint got energy and time to care about a bunch of retards that got a wierder hobby then me.

Jan 13, 2019 8:50 AM

May 2015
Not really. If not anime, I probably would have watched something else and sooner or later discovered anime anyway. And I don't have any merch so nothing stands out to somehow influence my life in that regard.
Jan 13, 2019 8:54 AM

Aug 2018
Really dumb question, we watch anime because we enjoy it I defenitely don't regret it. I don't care what some random person says about me liking anime who cares.
Gnyo ho!
Jan 13, 2019 9:03 AM

Aug 2018
Nobody really cares.
My friends are either anime fans like me or geeks who like superheros comics and gaming.
I don't feel weird or anything like that
But anyway I'm not the kind of weeb who has body pillows and numerous collections of anime realited things.
Jan 13, 2019 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
I'm too annoying when I talk about anime, I hate being an anime fan more than anything in my life, ruined my grades and wasted my time
Jan 13, 2019 9:09 AM

May 2018
I shouldn't need to regret any hobby I pick up. Those who judge are just being ignorant, to be honest.
Jan 13, 2019 9:13 AM

Nov 2018
Anime was a mistake because it poisons your natural thought process especially when you're not from Japan, opening up a can of worms of things you thought were taboo in your country but are A-OK over there like nudity, incest, prerogative mature themes in kids shows but I don't regret being a fan. It's just a hobby.
Jan 13, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2017
Shicchi said:

Once i was almost tortured because of the anime. For a moment, I thought I'd be dead.
Shicchi said:
Sometimes, but above all they make life even easier. After a day of work, it is cool to watch a good anime at night to relax.

Shicchi said:
Is anime a mistake?

Maybe!
Jan 13, 2019 9:27 AM

Jan 2018
I completely agree with @Raon I just wish I would have came to being a fan earlier.

Why be so worried about such a light and fun hobby? If you were a 'torturing goats for fun' fan, that might be something to be ashamed of, but watching animation? No way man!
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Jan 13, 2019 9:32 AM

Jul 2015
i regret it every time i masturbate to 11yrs old catgirl lolis
and after that i lit my ciggarette, lie down and cry

but seriously i dont think it changes much in my life i do what i want and if someone has problem with it then fuck this guy

Well...
Jan 13, 2019 9:51 AM

Jul 2015
No form of art is ever a mistake.

But do I wish I was addicted to some other form of media? Yes.

Its better than doing drugs all the time, or eating excessively (two of my previous vices), but not as good as being addicted to things that are socially acceptable or that have a wider audience that isn't considered strange.
Jan 13, 2019 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
nah, i don't regret it. although not all of my friends understands why i like it, the ones that do are hilarious to talk about anime with.
Jan 13, 2019 9:55 AM
Apr 2017
no
it has a many interesting stories and characters that i enjoy
and rewatch

yes
it has a lot of crap that are a waste of my time

those are my answers
Jan 13, 2019 9:56 AM

Oct 2013
I never did and never will. If you regret becoming a fan of anime, then you must be doing something wrong that dampens the whole experience.
Jan 13, 2019 10:00 AM

Sep 2018
Yes and no.
No, because I really like anime as it’s enjoyable, an escapism, and has influenced me greatly and I wouldn’t be where I am with my art if it weren’t for anime. I’ve met lots of cool people too through anime.
Yes, because anime kind of has a weird and bad stigma, at least at my school. I’m a little ashamed to like it sometimes. I’ve also grown more antisocial, mainly due to decreasing mental health but anime isn’t really helping. I’ve become lazier and less productive because of anime.
However, I’ll always like anime, even if I’m a little embarrassed about it. It’s brought me more joy than despair.
Jan 13, 2019 10:00 AM

Oct 2017
Raon said:
Watching anime is a common and normal hobby in where I am so the answer is no.

I regret not becoming an anime fan earlier in my life though. xD

Couldn't have said it any better myself lol.

Jan 13, 2019 10:07 AM

Feb 2015
Thanks to anime I got to hear a lot of songs I most likely wouldn't be exposed to otherwise which is nice.
Watching anime or reading manga didn't really change anything in my life but I dropped reading books to gain more time for them.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 13, 2019 10:12 AM

Jan 2014
Being an anime fan is a fun way to distract myself.
The only problem is the crackheads who also like it.
Jan 13, 2019 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
No, not really. I mean it's a hobby, doing something you enjoy shouldn't be considered a mistake. Thinking back about it, I've come to regret not being an anime fan earlier.
Jan 13, 2019 12:54 PM

Feb 2017
don't think i regret becoming an anime fan. but i mean i've invested so much time and money into this hobby so sometimes i ask myself if its really worth it.

and yes its always worth it because if i didn't watch anime i think i'd literally have no interests or hobbies. i've never been into current tv shows, and movies got boring for me after a while. my music taste also expanded because of anime (i.e. i used to only listen to emo music but amvs, jjba, and anime openings/endings have caused me to start listening to other stuff as well). also, even before i started watching anime i pretty much had no friends, so it isn't like anime ruined my life or caused me to become more antisocial or give up on other interests/people.

my friends/family dgaf and aren't interested in my hobbies. i have anime backgrounds on my laptop and phone so i really don't really care if i'm in public and open my laptop and someone around me sees my screen. i don't really care what people are thinking about me.

don't think my life has become harder either. i actually try to follow a schedule when watching anime so that i can get schoolwork done too so things work out well most of the time

placeholder text
Jan 13, 2019 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
Idk, before anime it was books and movies, my interests just expanded. That said, my life sucked before anime, and it still does the same.

Everything is a mistake if you look at it the right way.
Jan 13, 2019 2:49 PM

Jan 2018
and anything to excess can be a huge mistake as well. Some famous dude once said "To thine own self be true" or something.
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Jan 13, 2019 3:05 PM

Aug 2009
There is nothing to regret unless you wasted too much time and did not balance things in the right way.
Jan 13, 2019 3:12 PM
Jan 2012
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

Actually this. I don't like the NFL as much as other people, but if I see someone that's very NFL crazed is actually a cool person I like talking to about other things, I'm not gonna care about his love for the NFL. If on the other hand I see someone wearing a Patriots jersey and is an absolute ass and hates every other team, I'm gonna think "Fucking NFL fans, they're the worst".

I shouldn't think like that, even accidentally or involuntarily, but it's still not about the actual NFL, it's about the people involved. A social awkward anime watcher is not going to suddenly have his image boosted if he doesn't watch anime and was just a socially awkward person.
Jan 13, 2019 3:14 PM

May 2017
I regret not watching it in high school.
Jan 13, 2019 3:15 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
OnionKnightRises said:
A social awkward anime watcher is not going to suddenly have his image boosted if he doesn't watch anime and was just a socially awkward person.

this is so well said... and clearly something people don't think about

you can like anime and not only can you like anime, you can like

ANY KIND OF ANIME

and as long as people respect you for the type of person you are, its not going to matter

Jan 13, 2019 3:17 PM

Jan 2019
Generally no but sometimes when I'm in the middle of a particularly lewd scene, yes, yes i do
"I'm not afraid to look like an idiot" maybe
-Anthony Bourdain
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

109 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

46 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 54 minutes ago

8 by NonAtmospheric »»
3 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

19 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

65 by LostSpectre »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.