Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 14, 2019 2:58 AM
May 2017
firemagnet said:
commander31able said:

they "nailed the dogfights"? please, watch Sky Crawlers, or just the aerial battles, and think about what you wrote.

Sky Crawlers (and the princess and the pilot) have much more dynamic air combat.

With that said:

To my understanding, the teams behind Shirobako and Girls und Panzer are making this, which makes sense given the modeling and attention to detail with the aircraft. Essentially, this is to Japanese World War II aircraft what Haifuri was to ships and Girls Und Panzer was to tanks. And, like Girls Und Panzer, the show does have some rooting in plausibility:

The US Navy Akron class airship was designed as a rigid-hull reconnaissance airship, complete with a hangar for up to five biplane fighters for scouting and self-defense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron-class_airship#Aircraft_hangar

Plot and world-wise, however, this is Warthunder Air Aircade battles: the anime.

I'm impressed someone has actually heard of the Akron. I also didn't know it was those people making this - I would've expected higher quality characters, and less overt violence (people died in the first episode, while neither Girls und Panzer or Haifuri had any real threat of death).
Jan 14, 2019 3:13 AM

Oct 2007
Nice, it's like Girls und Panzer but with vintage aircraft. The dogfights left me breathless in some scenes.

Will be following this.

8/10
Jan 14, 2019 5:03 AM

Mar 2012
This is definitely a series that will not please everyone but it still has potential especially for those who are into world war 1 and 2 and aeroplanes. They paid very good attention to detail in the dogfights. Will keep watching, also the CGI while not the best is not the worst that has come out, just look Dimensional highschool and compare that to this so don't let animation keep you from seeing a potential good story.
Jan 14, 2019 6:25 AM

Jan 2016
Please people Wear a damn HEADPHONE while watching this, Goddamn, those sounds are so good. I expected nothing and I got a solid textbook Air maneuvers, The girls not chit chatting in a dogfight is really cool.
Jan 14, 2019 6:49 AM
Mar 2017
I went into this completely blind, only knowing it was made by the Girls und Panzer director. I was shocked by the CGI, possibly because I haven't seen too many anime that rely heavily on CGI to render the main cast (I think the last one I saw was Inuyashiki). I got slowly used to it, and despite how well done the animations are, I can't avoid feeling uneasy when I see the CG characters. Something uncanny about them, or the combination of 2D and 3D.

The highlight was definetely the aerial battles. The setup to the fighter take-off made me feel like I was inside that cockpit, I felt my stomach tingling like in a summer flight. And the battle itself felt incredibly realistic. I look forward to more battles and less characters, much like in Girls und Panzer. At least I'll have a good time with that.
Jan 14, 2019 8:37 AM

May 2016
Wow, it's just like Girly Air Force only much focus on aireal combat than ever.
Jan 14, 2019 8:39 AM

May 2016
I'd say this and Girly Air Force are the two good ones i start off my year in 2019 for anime.

Also, glad to see more plane animes.

First episode got me with a solid score just like GAF
Jan 14, 2019 9:08 AM
Jul 2015
commander31able said:

they "nailed the dogfights"? please, watch Sky Crawlers, or just the aerial battles, and think about what you wrote.

Meh. Ugly planes putting on an aerobatics show, a bunch of Star Wars and Formula 1 sound effects, all covered with an incessant camera shake. I'll stay with Kotobuki, thanks.
Jan 14, 2019 9:17 AM
Dec 2018
Hmm, I wonder how many people are going to compare this to Girly Air Force?

Ctrl+F "Girly Air Force" pg 1: 5 matches
Ctrl+F "Girly Air Force" pg 2: 4 matches
Ctrl+F "GAF": 2 matches on both pages

I guess I was expecting as much. As for comparing the two myself, I like how Kotobuki plunged us straight into the action after introducing the characters really nicely in just one scene. On the other hand, GAF seemed to be a lot more focused on introducing the protags and setting the stage for the rest of the story, and yet, it stumbled a bit in doing so.

Anyway, we're here to talk about Kotobuki.
I really enjoyed this opening episode, and provided we don't get a complete disaster by episode 3, I'll certainly be anticipating each new episode of this one every week.
The Dogfights had me excited, and some of the more trying maneuvers and situations (like our MC diving and almost crashing during that last fight at the end) had me gripping my chair, as if I was there in the cockpit with her. I'm invested, I had fun, and I'll definitely be coming back for more.
Jan 14, 2019 9:25 AM
May 2017
Ephora said:
commander31able said:

Meh. Ugly planes putting on an aerobatics show, a bunch of Star Wars and Formula 1 sound effects, all covered with an incessant camera shake. I'll stay with Kotobuki, thanks.

to each his own I guess.
Jan 14, 2019 9:50 AM
Jul 2014
dandar said:

I guess I was expecting as much. As for comparing the two myself, I like how Kotobuki plunged us straight into the action after introducing the characters really nicely in just one scene. On the other hand, GAF seemed to be a lot more focused on introducing the protags and setting the stage for the rest of the story, and yet, it stumbled a bit in doing so.

I really enjoyed this opening episode, and provided we don't get a complete disaster by episode 3, I'll certainly be anticipating each new episode of this one every week.
The Dogfights had me excited, and some of the more trying maneuvers and situations (like our MC diving and almost crashing during that last fight at the end) had me gripping my chair, as if I was there in the cockpit with her. I'm invested, I had fun, and I'll definitely be coming back for more.

Both are worth a watch, but Kotobuki is superior in plot, characterization, and world-building. Moreover, that Girly Air-Force was animated in cooperation (and had a significant event collaboration with) the JASDF tells you really all you need to know about Girly Air-Force. In short, where Kotobuki is interested in telling a good story, GAF is essentially propaganda.
Jan 14, 2019 9:52 AM

Jun 2013
CG was surprisingly good. Dogfights were great, particularly that soundtrack.

Ending was strange. Hope they expound upon it a bit in the next episode.
Jan 14, 2019 9:53 AM

Jun 2013
firemagnet said:
dandar said:

Both are worth a watch, but Kotobuki is superior in plot, characterization, and world-building. Moreover, that Girly Air-Force was animated in cooperation (and had a significant event collaboration with) the JASDF tells you really all you need to know about Girly Air-Force. In short, where Kotobuki is interested in telling a good story, GAF is essentially propaganda.

Nothing wrong with propaganda unless you just have a personal aversion to it. Just look at Gate. I would rather they colab and get the stuff right than trying to wing it and have it detract from the story.
Jan 14, 2019 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
What a 1st episode this is. Describing it as a full just won't do it.

First, the 2/3DCGI mix is actually decent and not off-putting. It's no Houseki no Kuni, but it pulls off nonetheless. Definitely has the Crimson Skies vibe with the stellar dogfights and the sound-work accompaniment that is VERY reminiscent. Thought Kirie looked a lot like Akanesasu Shoujo's Akane in terms of character design and VA, though there were differences as well.

Between this and Girly Air Force, this is the best of the 2 for the season.
Jan 14, 2019 1:12 PM
Apr 2015
dont like this . make every male a total idiot...
Jan 14, 2019 1:21 PM

Aug 2014
why is there so much cgi this season?

otherwise first ep was meh
Jan 14, 2019 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
Impressive, made me drop it in a few minutes. Why are the girls rendered in bad CG when those guys were drawn normally? Also, the whole "we're girls and can do it better than guys" bullshit is forced as hell.
Jan 14, 2019 5:20 PM
Mar 2017
Escaethorne said:
Impressive, made me drop it in a few minutes. Why are the girls rendered in bad CG when those guys were drawn normally? Also, the whole "we're girls and can do it better than guys" bullshit is forced as hell.
"bad CGI" ?? When I first saw it i couldn't even know which one was CGI and which was 2D. but at least this anime is more better than Girly Air Force
Jan 14, 2019 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
arukidasuyo said:
Escaethorne said:
"bad CGI" ?? When I first saw it i couldn't even know which one was CGI and which was 2D. but at least this anime is more better than Girly Air Force

I think you need to take an eyesight test.
Jan 14, 2019 7:19 PM

Oct 2015
Don't know what that was, story wise. All I know in this opening there girls who are fighter pilots, and helped to suppress a pirate attack. And what I noticed also was that the visuals aren't that enticing especially to the girls design.

Hope episode 2 will give us more content than this.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 14, 2019 11:05 PM

Dec 2016
Having a interest in WW2 fighter planes I was really looking forward for this show...But it's just too cringeworthy for me.

1) Planes don't fly like that...There a scene where the protagonist does this little flip thing and ends up behind the enemy. Well people might not understand this but by the time WW2 planes had advanced so much that they are actually much more heavy then they look and they are traveling at incredible speeds in excess of 200 mph. A plane simply can't slow down like that as objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

The dog fight looked like something more out of WW1 be even then it's stretching the truth

2) The girls just aren't cute at all, and it's due to that weird 2D/3D thing they have going on. Sorry but they look like a NPC from a web game in 2008.

3) The story is generic as heck...Fighter pilot mercenaries well that's kinda from "Area 88" though maybe a stretch, but I just feel like I seen this show before but done 100% better. There's nothing from the 1st episode that pulls me into watching the 2nd. In fact I was kinda upset the protagonist didn't get shot down by her nemesis like she should have, and killed off this dumpster fire of a show.
Jan 15, 2019 10:21 AM

Sep 2017
Honestly, much better than I expected. Sound design is on point, the fights are quite entertaining, and I like the aesthetic of the world in general, even if the 3d characters' animations outside of battle are really off putting for me. Let's see where this goes.
Jan 15, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
shiro_kai said:
This was probably the most close anime to "Third Girls Aerial' Fighters" from Shirobako that I have ever seen.

Since dogfight between Aircrafts is not my favorite cup of tea, apart from the scene at the start where the girls emphatically and boldly refuse the guys that tried to hit on them I didn't thought much of it yet. But its not trash.

In the trailer they Advertise with "監督 水島努 「ガール&パンツァー」「SHIROBAKO」" Which reads "Tsutomu Mizushima, Director of (Girls und Panzer) (SHIROBAKO)"
So wouldn't surprise me if it is exactly that story.

ZiirfJan 15, 2019 10:52 AM
Jan 15, 2019 4:07 PM

May 2009
What's the fucking point of having CGI main cast (+some side chara) when there is still so many hand drawn characters? Models are awful and stiff. Also side characters-pilots being drawn might be spoiler that they die because if they were CGI they could be reused.
Jan 16, 2019 3:28 AM
Mar 2018
My main problem with the first episode was that I couldn't tell the difference between the fighter plans on the battlefield so it was hard to properly appreciate it. Hopefully, I will like the second episode better.
Jan 16, 2019 2:29 PM

Aug 2018
I found this pretty interesting so far. I was not a fan of the CGI difference between the female characters and the rest of the people, but I am watching it for the planes.
First, I figured that the male group did not know too much when they talked down about the Hayabusa the heroines were flying, they were fearsome dog-fighting planes, and had superior maneuverability compared to the zero (which judging from weapon layout and style, was what the pirates and male group were flying).
The Hayabusa had special flaps which allowed multiple Immelmann turns, and hammerhead stalls both of which were used. They also had a superior climb rate.
I however did not like the fact that one was shot by a zero and did not burn up or break apart, they had no sealing tanks or pilot armor to speak of to keep weigh at a minimum. That is my only gripe.
Jan 16, 2019 3:59 PM

Dec 2009
DAYUM that sound design was orgasmic. This strangely felt more authentic than any aviation movie i've seen. While the actual maneuvering in the dogfights may have been somewhat unsophisticated in this first episode, it still felt very real... the shots and such had impact. My biggest gripe with combat scenes or weapons in any games is always the unrealistic hollywood-style sound bites they tend to use in place of the frightening and powerful sound of real guns and their impacts. Every shot is a jarring bang bang, and impacts crack in your ears... no pew pews and metal tinks. The biggest annoyance with bullets in 99% of media is completely inaccurate... Other aviation anime, like Sky Crawlers, or even Last Exile, sound more like videogames than real battles.

For reference, this is what they DON'T sound like.

↑WRONG↑ || ↓RIGHT↓

...this is what they DO sound like. (go to 3 minutes)

Point being, good realistic sound design is VERY important for immersion. For that i respect this anime.

They probably went for the girls being 3D to make them easier to animate in the cockpit without arbitrarily changing their character designs between clips.

...why was there a fucking dodo?? XD
...and flying no less.
GenesisAriaJan 16, 2019 6:03 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 16, 2019 5:17 PM

Aug 2018
I can agree with some pretty "Hollywood" gun sound effects, for example the girls planes are equipped with .50 cal which sound like this (jump to 0:54)

While the Zeros carry 20mm cannons which sound like this (jump to 1:08)

Not really a pew pew sound to me.
Jan 16, 2019 9:15 PM

Oct 2013
>Watch this anime

Am I playing war thunder?

Pretty good first episode.
"Why give the viewers the same plot the've seen somewhere else, just give them awesome aerial battles!"

They use the Hayabusa...

hope they don't encounter a P-47 squad or they ded
Jan 17, 2019 4:16 AM

Oct 2017
Well the animation mixing was a bit weird. Still is. Perhaps they wanted the characters to move differently. I don't mind, and I don't think it lowers the quality of the episode any significant amount.

That DOGFIGHT THO. Honestly a rush. It's easy to tell what's happening with the good direction and flow. You get the feeling those who are experienced, are!

Really looking forward to more!
Jan 17, 2019 4:20 AM

Oct 2017
rastill said:
I can agree with some pretty "Hollywood" gun sound effects, for example the girls planes are equipped with .50 cal which sound like this (jump to 0:54)

While the Zeros carry 20mm cannons which sound like this (jump to 1:08)

Not really a pew pew sound to me.

It's always been an issue with this kind of thing. They probably don't have access to an expansive sound library and finding good quality sound is a challenge. I hope it doesn't impact your enjoyment :)
Jan 17, 2019 7:06 AM

Aug 2018
Zahylon said:
>Watch this anime

"Why give the viewers the same plot the've seen somewhere else, just give them awesome aerial battles!"

They use the Hayabusa...

P-47 would not be much of a problem, the only thing that the P-47's had going for them was a high altitude dive attack, and then the field would be even. Now the real nightmare is if they run up against a few F6F Hellcats....game over
Jan 17, 2019 12:52 PM
Apr 2016
So this anime focus more on the aircraft. Then Girly airforce fit my taste better especially after episode 2.
Jan 17, 2019 4:03 PM
Jun 2013
commander31able said:
Kerozinn said:
I really like how they totaly nailed the dogfights and the whole air combat. I wasnt feeling this show when i saw how charackters were rendered in cgi so im glad i sticked around for the whole episode.

5/5

Using modern Fly-by-wire Jet manuver in propplane ? yeah, that shit never feel right for me.

Atleast in this anime you know what the plane is capable of and they behave like they should ( for now atleast. )

Jan 17, 2019 4:05 PM
May 2017
tucodon said:
commander31able said:

Using modern Fly-by-wire Jet manuver in propplane ? yeah, that shit never feel right for me.

Atleast in this anime you know what the plane is capable of and they behave like they should ( for now atleast. )

"Fly-by-wire Jet manuver" such as?
Jan 17, 2019 4:35 PM
Jul 2014
CrimsonTsuki said:
firemagnet said:

Nothing wrong with propaganda unless you just have a personal aversion to it. Just look at Gate. I would rather they colab and get the stuff right than trying to wing it and have it detract from the story.

I have no problem with propaganda except when the show goes out of its way to make it that way in order to make a nationalistic point that is otherwise unnecessary for the overall plot or narrative.

In GATE, we saw that with the ludicrous scene where foreign military commanders all but fell over themselves for maps (while Japan's ultimatum just a few chapters/episodes earlier demanding all precious resources within a 500km+ radius of Alnus was portrayed in a positive light).

In GAF, the display of national symbols so prominently and the location of the battle itself felt like it was pushing for similar national brownie points.
Jan 17, 2019 5:28 PM
Jun 2013
commander31able said:

Cobra, lots and lots of cobra.

Zahylon said:
>Watch this anime

They use the Hayabusa...

If it's anything like in War Thunder, the P-47 will mow the lawn for 10 minute before getting picked out one by one =))
Jan 17, 2019 7:29 PM

Apr 2009
dandar said:

are u saying that Kotobuki might get better than GAF? anyway i watch Kotobuki and yes it got us straight into the action unlike in GAF where the threat attacks first b4 the main ones could attack
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 17, 2019 7:43 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
firemagnet said:
dandar said:

To clarify, the JASDF supporting the anime with a key visual as well as a small discussion in a hanger, and nothing really else - it's not a propaganda event for the JASDF nor do they appear to be subsidizing it whatsoever.

http://www.ota-suke.jp/news/226652
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/09/17/girly-air-force-teams-up-with-jasdf-in-new-key-visual
elkensteyinJan 17, 2019 7:53 PM
Jan 17, 2019 8:47 PM

Oct 2013
rastill said:
F6F Hellcats....game over

>When you're a Japanese pilot chillin' in your plane and you hear over the radio that the USS Enterprise has been spotted and a group of F6F with grim reaper decals is coming to your position.
"Ooooh.....Ryujin-sama"

tucodon said:

If it's anything like in War Thunder, the P-47 will mow the lawn for 10 minute before getting picked out one by one =))

Unless the girls get skydived at 6.

Also:
Hope we get to see Twin Engine Meme Planes.

...uhm...I don't find comparisson between this and Girly Air Force....GAF seems like another Franxx with stupid aliens and a machine that only works if two horny teens are inside of it.

...this one has actual Air Combat.
Jan 18, 2019 4:31 AM
May 2017
tucodon said:
commander31able said:

Cobra, lots and lots of cobra.

I saw that film before I knew anything about air-to-air combat. I'll have to rewatch sometime.
Jan 18, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2009
Zahylon said:
rastill said:
F6F Hellcats....game over

>When you're a Japanese pilot chillin' in your plane and you hear over the radio that the USS Enterprise has been spotted and a group of F6F with grim reaper decals is coming to your position.
"Ooooh.....Ryujin-sama"

tucodon said:

Unless the girls get skydived at 6.

Also:
Hope we get to see Twin Engine Meme Planes.

...uhm...I don't find comparisson between this and Girly Air Force....GAF seems like another Franxx with stupid aliens and a machine that only works if two horny teens are inside of it.

...this one has actual Air Combat.
i agree on that and anyway i find this show better than GAF to be precise and also we get to see a new character in this show also as just shown in the preview of the 2nd episode
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Aug 2018
Twin engines planes would be decent I wouldn't mind seeing some Ki-45 or P-38 here and there, but they are both really unsuitable for dog-fighting.

I did not see any cobra maneuvers in the show so far, I did see a ton of Immalmann turns though. Nether really require fly-by-wire, but a cobra could not be pulled off by a WW2 era plane due to intake restrictions.

The P-47 would have to attack high, and stay high to live. I have never played War Thunder, but the P-47's were pretty lack luster against the zero's and earlier Japanese fighters except for having a higher altitude and speed only at higher altitude. Amazing enough they could not climb as fast as the zeros or earlier models.
Jan 18, 2019 10:59 PM
Jan 2019
Well I'm definitely hoping this turns out to be anime Crimson Skies. Slightly saddened they went for a full internal runway instead of a skyhook (which is both real and absurdly more compact), though, but they did make 'er a ludicrously large one, so I'll allow it for now.

On the CGI mixing at the start, it's tolerable, and that's about it. Fortunately they're looking to actually take advantage of CGI's cheap extra frames for the action, so I won't complain too much.

As for the "feminism" cry, feels more like non-malicious heavy-handed writing to me, and I'm saying that as someone who actually bothered looking up all the brands P&G owns after that ad. The main cast are girls to waifu-bait, their improbable skills are because they're MCs, the majority of pilots are going to look like scrubs next to them because of this, and it's likely the majority of pilots we meet are going to be male. It was a bit ham-fisted in the first episode, but given they wanted to fit that long of a dogfight in it, it's rather excusable.
It could trend towards gyno-supremacy in the long run, but this first episode only established that it's not impossible for it to do so- not that it was gonna.
Jan 18, 2019 11:37 PM

Sep 2015
So... the cast of Akanesasu Shoujo (Kylie is pretty much Asuka with pancakes instead of chikuwa) in High School Fleet but with planes (the mechanic reminds me a lot of Maron)?

In any case, disregarding the 2D/CG mix, this might turn out surprisingly good in a few episodes.
Jan 19, 2019 4:57 AM
Aug 2017
Sleeper of the season. Hype is over 5000. This was amazing. Everything was so good. CGI? Who cares?! The action scene was intense, the sound was great and realistic, the BGM was amazing. I can't even begin to say how much I loved this first episode. One of the best pilot episodes this season, pun intended.
Jan 19, 2019 6:15 PM
Mar 2012
Not BanG Dream level, but CG is good enough. It's always jarring when they mix both characters side by side, better use camera to differentiate foreground/background or hide it.
Nice plane accuracy, great sound design during combat with ricochets. Plane check was too long, obviously fan service for the plane otakus but I don't mind seeing once. Fight was good really reminds me back when playing War Thunder.
There's personality but not feeling any character was interesting. Kirie was annoying acting as a hotheaded noob, getting baited by all the textbook basics by the serpent plane.
Eh, the sexism level is at the point where ANN could explode.
Too early to decide, but GAF seems better as romance SOL, Kotobuki better on the action. So far GAF has more explained and interesting plot since there's ep2.
Jan 20, 2019 6:17 PM

Mar 2015
After re-watching this episode it occurred to me, after listening to Kylie's monologue, that this would fit nicely into the world of Soro no Woto about 70 years after that series ended.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 20, 2019 9:05 PM

Oct 2013
bucket3432 said:
So... the cast of Akanesasu Shoujo (Kylie is pretty much Asuka with pancakes instead of chikuwa) in High School Fleet but with planes (the mechanic reminds me a lot of Maron)?

In any case, disregarding the 2D/CG mix, this might turn out surprisingly good in a few episodes.

Following the Akanesasu Shoujo plot...this could be another fragment.
And the girls in this show are in fact alternate versions of Akanesasu girls.

Jan 22, 2019 7:37 AM

May 2018
The coloring of the planes of the girls and the pirates were a bit too similar against the night sky for me, so I was confused at times, but hey, I totally enjoyed the fight scene in this one. I liked the POV scenes a lot too.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2019

54 by BlaizeV »»
Jun 25, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2019

32 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 1:04 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2019

31 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 12:14 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2019

24 by badabass »»
Jun 4, 2020 11:14 PM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2019

25 by badabass »»
Jun 4, 2020 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.