Forum Settings
Forums

In general, are anime youtubers good critics?

New
In general, aree anime youtubers good critics?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 14, 2019 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
Out of the ones you mentioned (and I watch and enjoy all of them) I would say Glass Reflection is the better 'reviewer' in the sense that his reviews are sort of the purest form of video review you could get. He talks to the camera and gives his opinions on the series as a whole. Arkada is what I would call a very optimistic reviewer. He tends to like a lot of the shows he reviews on his channel and is a great place to find some recommendations.

Gigguk is also great but I tend to watch him more for his entertainment factor. Occasionally you get his honest opinions on a show but it's mainly taking the piss out of things.

Digibro and Under the Scope give awesome analysis videos on shows or a group of shows and when they do, those videos are very well done (see Digi's K-On videos or UTS' Grimgar video). I would say that Digi is like the anti-GR in that he often shits on a lot of series (they mostly deserve it) and his channels are great places to find exactly what not to watch. Digi breaks down what series do wrong and UTS breaks down what series do right.

A really great reviewer and a favorite of mine that hasn't been mentioned is Super Eyepatch Wolf. He's really very articulate in his reviews (which are in a similar 'clean/professional' style to GR) and is clearly very passionate about the things he reviews (see: YuYu Hakusho or his Berserk videos). He's a huge fan of shounen series though so if those aren't your cup of tea then his videos might not appeal to you.
Jan 14, 2019 9:40 AM

Jul 2017
I don't really watch Anitubers anymore, but Mother's Basement is awful. That is all I got to say.
Jan 14, 2019 9:57 AM

Apr 2017
Frroku said:
I'm not sure. I have not seen many videos of them. I saw some videos of TheAnimeMan and I can smell the butthurt a mile away. That's why he don't criticise too much.

The worst Youtuber criticer, is undoubtedly Chibireviews. I just can't handle to that dude. He's so lame.
You can barely call chibi a reviewer lmao. He could be watching the worst show ever and hype it up.
Jan 14, 2019 10:01 AM

Apr 2017
Luminlight said:
I don't really watch Anitubers anymore, but Mother's Basement is awful. That is all I got to say.
He really is. Most of his videos aren’t his opinions. It’s whoever is sponsoring him for the video.
Jan 14, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
Luminlight said:

Why do people hate Mother's Basement?

Aslat24 said:
Luminlight said:
He really is. Most of his videos aren’t his opinions. It’s whoever is sponsoring him for the video.

Why would sponsors of a company have an opinion on an anime? If none of Geoff's opinions are his opinions, why does he go into such great and lengthy details of the anime he talks about?
Jan 14, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2013
RainShift_2 said:
Out of the ones you mentioned (and I watch and enjoy all of them) I would say Glass Reflection is the better 'reviewer' in the sense that his reviews are sort of the purest form of video review you could get. He talks to the camera and gives his opinions on the series as a whole. Arkada is what I would call a very optimistic reviewer. He tends to like a lot of the shows he reviews on his channel and is a great place to find some recommendations.

Gigguk is also great but I tend to watch him more for his entertainment factor. Occasionally you get his honest opinions on a show but it's mainly taking the piss out of things.

Digibro and Under the Scope give awesome analysis videos on shows or a group of shows and when they do, those videos are very well done (see Digi's K-On videos or UTS' Grimgar video). I would say that Digi is like the anti-GR in that he often shits on a lot of series (they mostly deserve it) and his channels are great places to find exactly what not to watch. Digi breaks down what series do wrong and UTS breaks down what series do right.

A really great reviewer and a favorite of mine that hasn't been mentioned is Super Eyepatch Wolf. He's really very articulate in his reviews (which are in a similar 'clean/professional' style to GR) and is clearly very passionate about the things he reviews (see: YuYu Hakusho or his Berserk videos). He's a huge fan of shounen series though so if those aren't your cup of tea then his videos might not appeal to you.
I would take whatever Digi says with a grain of salt. This is the guy that when he doesn't like an anime (even if it's good) he'll trash it missing some key bits of information. When folks or his fans call him out on it he doubles down.

*edit* Almost forgot about his K-On video.
Funny how he says that you can't judge it by its first episode and yet that's exactly what he does with other anime. I get that it's his most beloved series, but some times that love boner blinds him.
CabronJan 14, 2019 11:08 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 14, 2019 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
Cabron said:
RainShift_2 said:

I would take whatever Digi says with a grain of salt. This is the guy that when he doesn't like an anime (even if it's good) he'll trash it missing some key bits of information. When folks or his fans call him out on it he doubles down.

*edit* Almost forgot about his K-On video.
Funny how he says that you can't judge it by its first episode and yet that's exactly what he does with other anime. I get that it's his most beloved series, but some times that love boner blinds him.

I mean that is his opinion so he is going to trash anime he doesn't like because, y'know... he doesn't like it (despite you believing it is good). Also Digi does have a series where he tries re-watching anime he dropped after the first episode and has admitted that he has judged multiple series wrongly and has picked them back up. But it makes sense that he drops series which he doesn't like after the first episode as he knows what sort of thing he likes. He is a human, has an opinion and therefore has bias.
Jan 14, 2019 12:03 PM

Dec 2017
I actually do quite like Arkada, I can respect his critiques on shows and I tend to enjoy his reviews.

I don't really watch other anime content creators though so I can't comment on them.
Jan 14, 2019 9:31 PM

Mar 2017
It varies. A lot.

Gigguk is not particularly good at reviews (that is, breaking down the specific aspects of a work and how they influence both the audience's experience and each other), but he is definitely funny.

Digibro used to give good reviews, but most of his current stuff is pretentious philosophical ramblings tangentially related to the topic at hand.

Mother's Basment is pretty decent, but imo, Super Eyepatch Wolf, Zeria and Explanation Point are among the best. EP could REALLY use more content, though.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Jan 14, 2019 9:36 PM

Oct 2017
I follow gigguk but i don't take the critics too serious,i watch him only for the entertainment.
I watched very little of Mother's basement and Misty Chronexia so i have nothing to point about them.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Jan 14, 2019 10:16 PM

Jan 2019
Honestly I like hearing peoples reviews on youtube like theanimeman but I definitely think there are a lot of people with different perspectives and opinions so I don't mind them but I there are other critics that can have more detailed approaches that are better
Jan 14, 2019 11:04 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Luminlight said:

Aslat24 said:

Why would sponsors of a company have an opinion on an anime? If none of Geoff's opinions are his opinions, why does he go into such great and lengthy details of the anime he talks about?

The reason why people hate him may have smth to with his personality being so shitty.
The guy behaves like he's some sort of superior entity who can do no wrong and looks down to everyone that is not him.
All of that would be a little more forgivable if at least his content was, not even good, but at least decent. Can't talk about all of his content cuz it was enough of a pain to watch just a couple of his vids, but the few vids I watched got the worst arguments I've seen in the whole anitube so far.
Maybe I was really unlucky, but one thing I can say for sure is that the guy definitely can do wrong so he should sit the fuck down and start being a little more humble.
vhagar8Jan 14, 2019 11:09 PM
Jan 14, 2019 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Only Anituber I like is ThatAnimeSnob, and not because I agree with his taste, but because at least he calls out people on their bullshit in this community.
Jan 15, 2019 12:22 AM

Jun 2012
Arkada is as insightful as wet paper. Arkada does reviews a lot more than other anitubers listed here, but his style is so formulated and devoid of interesting perspectives, it only appeals to normies. Gigguk also suffers from this very streamlined perspective, but at least he is running a crowd pleasing show, even if it is aimed at casuals.

On the other hand Digibro is the most controversial because he is entirely his own personality. Even if I don't agree with Digi some times, he is actually analytical enough to make me understand his point of view. In that sense, he is the only one capable of affecting the viewer's outlook on a show on a meaningful level. Gigguk can "sort of" do that because he brings his personality to the reviews too, but not anywhere near to the degree which Digi does. And honestly, if Arkada was able to change your mind on a show..... what are you doing, actually?

Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Jan 15, 2019 9:25 AM

Mar 2017
If you have opinions about any of the eight finalists in the Best Anime YouTuber tournament, please vote. Some of those being discussed here are still in the running; others have been eliminated.

At this writing, those still in the running are:

• Gigguk
  • The Anime Man
  • TeamFourStar
  • Super Eyepatch Wolf
  • KrisPNatz
  • A.I.Channel
  • Mother's Basement
  • akidearest
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 15, 2019 9:40 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Mother's Basement is nothing short of a complete joke, and is consistently a complete joke to an alarming degree. So I will use him as a benchmark for my negative opinions of other anitubers.

Digi can be a mixed bag to me, ranging from saying some of the coolest shit I've ever heard an anituber say to saying some of the most ignorant and ill-informed nonsense he could put out. I actually like him the most in terms of sheer analysis when he's on, and I consider him Mother's Basement-tier, if not lower, when he's off.

Zeria and BobSamurai are two separate types of tumors that I have to tolerate the existence of as a matter of my principles. They might be good to you depending on your political alignment, how much of a persecution complex you have, and how much your political beliefs penetrate all aspects of your every day life, though. cough cough

I want to write an anituber shipfic between them, for what it's worth. It would be beautiful. I dislike their content more than I do Geoff's content and have lost any interest in hearing their perspectives any further than I already have. Whether or not it's structured better, whether or not they can outline their points more clearly, and whether or not they're actually capable of being more than a ventriloquist puppet for their sponsors is irrelevant to me saying I dislike their content more than what Mother's Basement puts out.

SuperEyepatchWolf is one I consider quite good, but can come off as rather limited in his perspective of the entire medium, and I feel is best when looking for the input of a dedicated shounen fan when it comes to anime. Which is to say, yes, I admire his knowledge of shounen series and the inner workings of them and how he can break them down, but when he does non-shounen reviews and starts saying things like "The brilliance of Kaiji's pscyhological battles stem from the mangaka's excellent understanding of shounen battle mechanics" he begins to lose me a little. That said, I do not disrespect him for this at all, considering I feel the same way about myself and harem/ecchi in discussion pretty often xP You tend smell out your own, I guess.

I'd put SEP is far above Mother's Basement on a holistic level. Our boy Geoff is completely outclassed, even with some of the things I've kind of taken away from SEP's ability to perceive anime beyond shounen. SEP's Musaigen no Phantom World analysis was a video I consider to be Mother's Basement tier, however. I feel like he really missed the mark on that one and it ended up sounding like a compilation of the dumb one-liners people say in ecchi/fanservice threads on AD.

Gigguk seems like a nice person. I would not consider him good for analysis, though. I would also say he's worse than Mother's Basement, but his bad is not as headache-inducing or frustrating and I perceive it as just kind of bumbling about, so make of that what you will.

GR can feel a bit dull and I've yet to take away something that made me think he was an absolute idiot, but I've yet to be compelled to thinking about anything he brought up, either. I've had no real grievances with his content. I place him above Mother's Basement, from what I've seen of him, which has only been relatively recently diving into his video history a bit.
ManabanJan 15, 2019 12:01 PM

Jan 15, 2019 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

The reason why people hate him may have smth to with his personality being so shitty.
The guy behaves like he's some sort of superior entity who can do no wrong and looks down to everyone that is not him.
All of that would be a little more forgivable if at least his content was, not even good, but at least decent. Can't talk about all of his content cuz it was enough of a pain to watch just a couple of his vids, but the few vids I watched got the worst arguments I've seen in the whole anitube so far.
Maybe I was really unlucky, but one thing I can say for sure is that the guy definitely can do wrong so he should sit the fuck down and start being a little more humble.

How does Geoff act like he's above everybody else? He often says that he's the "anime pope", or says something about his opinion being objective, but he clearly means those as jokes.

EDIT: a lot of people are trashing anime Youtubers like Digibro and Mother's Basement, but they don't seem to be going into any specific detail beyond, "they're pretentious".
removed-userJan 15, 2019 12:35 PM
Jan 15, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2010
Mother's Basement is a typical case of "there are worse ones" in every category I can think of, which makes it difficult to point a clear negative. I think his analysis falls flat often and he's too much of a trend follower who regurgitates opinions that have been on the internet for a while. If you are not or you are not any close to his political spectrum I guess he can bother you when he makes more politically charged videos, like the piracy ones. I don't mind, and I don't mind about his supposed infatuation with Crunchyroll, but some people clearly do.

Digibro is good when he wants to, and that may seem contradictory but it makes him worse than MB in my opinion. Because in MB I see limitations and lack of scope hindering competent analysis, but Digi is articulate and manipulative, and uses it to his advantage, which is all fine when his analysis is grounded, but not at all when it's speculative, based on meme reasoning or trying to appear expert on a field he clearly doesn't dominate.

Both are entertaining, and both make good points from time to time, but there are way better ones. Digi just frustrates me more.
Jan 15, 2019 1:49 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
HopefulNihilist said:

How does Geoff act like he's above everybody else? He often says that he's the "anime pope", or says something about his opinion being objective, but he clearly means those as jokes.

EDIT: a lot of people are trashing anime Youtubers like Digibro and Mother's Basement, but they don't seem to be going into any specific detail beyond, "they're pretentious".

I didn't go into detail on MB because I'm fucking tired of writing out the same things every time he comes up. There's a few extremely consistent qualities to his videos that just irritate the piss out of me and criticizing one of his videos can borderline on criticizing the majority of his output. I'm convinced that the problems with MB are more fundamental than they can be with most other anitubers, frankly. Some stuff can be avoided or improved on, like the first stuff I'll try to outline, but some stuff I think just outright is an issue with how he himself treats trying to analyze and review a work. Not that I have faith in him to ever improve on anything, considering his response to these types of criticisms has been to just say "Well don't like it don't watch it" from what I've been made aware of.

-He has a noticeable tendency to bounce around from topic to topic, often delving and rambling into points he made. Point A is the aspect he wants to discuss and analyze. This can lead into point B, which can often have little bearing on point A. Then he goes into point C, which has no bearing on point A whatsoever. Then he'll try to tie it all together back to point A with a weak and unconvincing justification. He lacks an ability to discern how things tie into one another and attempts to force it rather frequently. The opening comparisons between SAO and NGNL in his NGNL video illustrate this perfectly. It makes him seem inarticulate and requires too much work on the user's end to make sense of his own points for him at times, frankly, which will - of course - lead to issues with communication between others.

-He has a piss poor sense of prioritization. And I don't mean this in the sense that "Oh well these elements to this series he's talking about are clearly more important than the elements he's talking about!" - he just spends a long time on one-off topics and focuses on elements he can borderline portray as irrelevant or a minor nitpick, and then when it comes to the things he's clearly designating as the bigger issue he's barely spending any time on them at all.

The fourth slot on his "Worst Anime of 2018" is probably what I'd call to be the most blatant illustration of this tendency I've ever seen from him. He talks about multiple facets to the Joan of Arc anime, and he spends more time incorrectly, albeit not in a way I found to be out of malice attempting to outline and detail a single line of dialogue about the setting he considered to be historically inaccurate with the timeframe of the real life hundred years war that the narrative was set in. The majority of the timeslot is focused on this thing he himself deems to be minor and nitpicky, and then a small amount of time towards the very end is jampacked with him just throwing off perceived issues against the wall, barely going more into detail with them than simply using the associated terms.

This video was around 30 minutes long and only featured 5 anime he talked about. I get that it wasn't going to be a full, in-depth review, but that just feels outright redundant. And this video wasn't a joke or a meme or anything, he was trying to give overviews of these series in 6 - 7 minute timespans to illustrate why he thought they were the worst of the worst of the year. But he backloads things that are complex to explain and frontloads things he deems to be of lesser importance but are easier for him to try to explain. It's a poor, poor sense of distribution.

-Can be exceedingly reductive to series, whittling them down to a singular component and then blowing that component out to be the all-encompassing element of the series.

The same video I just brought up also featured stuff like him trying to illustrate a different series as directly ripping off Anohana, which results in him outright outlining the many divergence points it takes from Anohana in how it portrays the subject matter and the elements surrounding it - at one point getting mad at it for "undermining the element that made Anohana so great with this implied narrative direction" - and continues to assert that as being the case despite very clearly outlining differences.

He begins frequently referring to the lead characters as stuff like "Not-Menma" or "Not-Jinta" as he was very clearly outlining divergences left and right, referring to two of the characters by those two names respectively eventually becoming his primary means of backing this up as he stuck to the guns with the blatant ripoff narrative he tried to spin. He took a shared theme of the series, reduced it down to that singular component, and then basically declared it to be borderling plagiarism on a holistic level because of one common theme they tried to approach.

I really don't see how anybody can watch something like that and think "Gee, what a compelling argument he made" if they thought about it for more than two seconds. And the whole video is a joke, frankly, but his entire catalog of content is just a joke that's been dragged out for way too long, so I can't say I'm surprised ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Tying into the above point, he'll very blatantly downplay things very heavily when it suits him. Once again, I point to his NGNL video, which, yes, I do consider to be his very worst, even if I'm a fan of the series and he was (attempting) to praise it.

NGNL has loli fanservice. It is a very, very fanservice oriented series, filled with referential humor and other means of absurdism. These are the elements at the forefront, and there is a reasonable interpretation of a character story in the backdrop to be had. He barely touches on any of these things - notably very, very heavily trying to hurry past some of the elements that could put people off, such as the loli fanservice - and focusing on these backdrop elements.

The issue here stems from how he plays these up as if they're in the forefront and not merely alluded to in a couple of episodes. The image he paints of the series and the majority of its content becomes skewed because he'd rather focus in on a couple of points he found more interesting. This...becomes a problem whenever the video is actually being framed as a holistic take, trying to assert the components that cause NGNL to garner a positive reaction, and trying to crown it as "the king of trashy isekai" or something. If somebody watched his video, listened to him, and gained an interest in the series because of it, I am almost certain that they would walk away feeling completely and utterly lied to about the series composition.

This issue would not exist if the video was being framed on a less holistic level, frankly. But he doesn't do that, and thus creates an impression that he disliked/ignored the majority of the series' runtime, found a couple of elements he could interpret as meaningful, and then blew those out of proportion relative to the series content in order to take jabs at SAO once again, which, yes, he does spend a considerable amount of time in the video doing, outright attempting to draw a comparison at the beginning before dropping that facade early on and just turning it into that weird "hey guise did you know I really hate SAO" plug he does so, so often to the point of redundancy. It's like he didn't even pay attention to the series, just saw that it had a higher rating and more positive reception than most shows like it, and then basically goes on to misconstrue a lot of shit about it just for the sake of building up a standpoint he doesn't actually possess or understand.

It's a joke.

-Intrusive sponsorship plugs. Yes, this is the thing everybody brings up, but for fuck's sake. I do not care if he has sponsors, everyone does more or less, it's fine. I care immensely whenever he's attempting to articulate his fucking point and then piss poorly attempts to transition into a random-ass sponsorship plug. There are instances where he literally is in the middle of trying to communicate a point, stops with a single sentence and tries to force a sponsorship plug in there. It's infuriating, it destroys the pacing and the flow and it makes him difficult to listen to.

-He comes off as political. Not in the left/right dichotomy sense, but in the sense that his arguments and points he attempts often seem to come from less of a place of actual interpretation on his part and more him just reiterating the sentiments of others, either out of some incomprehensible sense of loyalty at best or outright just trying to curry favor of sponsors and outlets at worst. His opinions very, very rarely come before people like ANN writers or CR take a stance, and when he does take a stance, it is almost always with them, and it comes off as disproportionately strong for the arguments he tries to make for it, sometimes delving into blatant hypocrisy.

I remember an argument from his Discord server bled onto AD once, and the text that was leaked was him making an argument to the user over moral imperatives. He treated it as a legal and moral obligation to purchase and pay for CR, who sponsored him, on the basis of his anti-piracy advocation in a Discord argument from his server that someone spilled onto here once, in a thread I was very active in.

However, this staunch anti-piracy stance and bullshit talk about legal and moral imperatives only extended to CR, who has a very express and well-known partnership with him - in that thread, at least, I pointed out his Kakegurui review, which at the time his review was released was only available through piracy due to being a Netflix exclusive that was being held for a full release. I was told by someone else that he didn't mind pirating from Netflix or Amazon because he disliked their business practices.

Again, this wouldn't be an issue if his CR rants that were being displayed in the same thread weren't outright claiming it to be a moral imperative to pay for CR in a staunch anti-piracy position, that wasn't welcoming the exact same kind of consumer advocacy and refusal to pay for CR, whenever the stated issue the other party was claiming was with how CR was handling their services and how he disapproved. He was not meeting this discussion with counter-arguments to the issues the guy brought up, but continued to assert it as if it were an outright obligation.

Pirating due to disliking business practices, to MB, was okay so long as it wasn't from one of his sponsors. That was the underlying implication of that whole shitfest when it bled out onto AD. That is just outright slimy, and I don't see how it could've been interpreted as anything otherwise.

-----

These are the primary issues I take. I also feel a lot of his other shortcomings stem from the political aspect I mentioned. His opinions just never seem like their own and as if they're attempting to curry favor with sponsors or journalists through reiterating their known stances, just more poorly because he isn't approaching it with the understanding of the interpretation that those who he's pulling it from have garnered, hence weaker points and substantiation across the board.

What is the point of his channel? Who is he as an analyst? What the fuck is he doing, what the hell is he adding? He constantly fucks up basic shit, he disrupts him-fucking-self more than anyone else, and then ostensibly makes interpretations to curry favor or ride trends, which shows in shoddy work and misunderstanding of the opinions he himself is trying to lay out, further showcasing itself in outright disproportionate representation of these elements relative to the theme and weight he places on them. And given that he does actually come off as dishonest and slimy to me as well, as opposed to just incompetent, which certainly doesn't make him look better in my eyes.

----

I also...feel like the issues with MB as an analyst tend to show themselves more in how they're discussed. Digi's problems, for example - discussions on AD have often in the past extended out from the theme of his video, issues being expressed with how he approached it or praise for some insight, what have you. One video is cherry picking, the other is hiding information, some videos get praised, some issues have been advocating certain stances. Discussion can actually happen in that environment.

MB threads run very, very contrary to this, in the rare occasion they've popped up, discussion being more in-line with elements fundamental to all of his videos and the video itself practically being ignored because of how it's blending into a larger issue symptomatic of his content. It begins manifesting itself across multiple videos. The content is stagnant, and he does not grow or improve as a reviewer, so the same problems pop up again and again and again. Eventually, the content itself becomes ignored in favor of just focusing on the consistent problems with him as a reviewer. The discussion and responses he garners are circular and stagnant themselves, maybe because there's just no room for extending them beyond that because of what he provides.
ManabanJan 15, 2019 2:46 PM

Jan 15, 2019 2:00 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
vhagar8 said:

I've mostly watched stuffs related to the "watching anime legally" thing and he surely behaves like he's morally superior to u for watching anime legally, although every arguments he brings up when talking about the topic is an insult to every human being who actually has a brain.
I've watched like 2 other of his vids after that and still got the same arrogant vibe, which I personally don't get while watching most of other content creators on youtube.
If you don't feel the way, that's fine, all I was doing was answering to your question "Why do people hate mother's basement'" offering my point of view as someone who can't stand him.

About the second paragraph, what's wrong with that?
I feel like being pretentious is a pretty valid reason to be trashed on.

I only talked about mother's basement, but I have some issues with digi as well.
Without going into too many details; the guy is just the worst case of self-awerness I've ever seen.
He often starts with premises like: "I understand this aspect bothers me and me only , but hey, here's a 40 min vid arguing about why everything must conform to my tastes"
His arguments make even sense most of the time, the problem is that the point he's supporting with those argument is wrong. He always behaves like he's on a fucking crusade to save anime, but the fact is, anime never asked to be saved by him in the first place.
If we ignore the times he completly misses the point and start arguing over bullshit for hours, I'm kind of ok with him. His arguments aren't that bad and from time to time he may even make a couple of interesting points.
I also kinda respect that "I don't care what others think of me" attidute of him.
Jan 15, 2019 2:07 PM

Aug 2010
most of the tubers are just nasally voiced nerds with the most basic of tastes and reasoning

also

arcada looks like an usher at a ballet

digi is a hypocrite who likes to cry about how smart he is

https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 15, 2019 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
still got the same arrogant vibe

You...do realize that, "arrogant vibe" you're getting is purely because of how YOU interpret him, right? It's not based on anything Geoff is actually SAYING.
I think you're mistaking confidence for arrogance; the way Geoff presents his manner of speaking is no different than a college presentation. A good presentation has the speaker talking confidently.

vhagar8 said:
here's a 40 min vid arguing about why everything must conform to my tastes"

...Except Digibro has never said that all anime has to conform to his tastes: all he simply does is make videos explaining why an anime appeals or doesn't appeal to him...which is literally the whole point of an anime Youtuber.

vhagar8 said:
He always behaves like he's on a fucking crusade to save anime, but the fact is, anime never asked to be saved by him in the first place.

Digibro has never claimed he's on a, "crusade to save anime". I think this goes back to how you confuse confidence for arrogance.

It seems like my hunch was right: a lot of people who hate Digibro and Mother's Basement don't hate them for logical reasons that make sense, but hate them because they don't like their personality. Which is perfectly fine, but when you attempt to disguise purely subjective negative interpretation as legit criticism, that's when, I think, you come off as trying to appear smarter than you're actually being.

@Manaban

I'm not trying to disrespect you, but I don't think you provided enough examples for all your points for me to take your opinion completely seriously. Not helping is your wall of text, which makes it difficult for me to fully process everything you're saying.
removed-userJan 15, 2019 7:11 PM
Jan 15, 2019 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest its kinda average for me... here are my thoughts on how anime Youtubers criticize their work.

• Arkada - out of all the major reviewers, he's the least awful in my opinion. I do agree with all the things he says in most of his anime reviews. However, he does forget some good or bad parts about a certain show.
  • The Anime Man - I wouldn't really count him as a full yt reviewer, but whenever he talks about a certain topic, he's actually kinda good with it.
  • Gigguk - unfortunately, he doesn't really review that much anymore. His old reviews however (despite how shit they can be), are kinda not that bad. And he does do really good in-depth essays.
  • Anime America - I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned AA yet (and I could see why). This one is probably the one I'm mostly disappointed about. At times they can be good. At times they can complain about every little detail that doesn't fully matter about a certain anime (see their review of Cells at Work, Another and Anohana for example). They can also forget about certain details about an anime too and at times they can be too preachy. On the other hand, they're becoming less of an anime channel (probably because the YT revenue really hit them hard).
  • Mother's Basement - okay, unlike most people, I'm kinda okay with him. I love his "What's in an OP?" videos. Although, he does consider himself as a "superior" and criticizes SAO and Franxx too much that it's almost unbearable to listen...
  • I haven't seen that much of DigiBro, Under the Scope and many others so no opinions on them.

Most of the time, I only watch anitubers for entertainment. I kinda wander off whenever they criticize something I like. But I do know they have their own opinions and I respect for what they say. Mostly...
removed-userJan 17, 2019 4:58 PM
Jan 15, 2019 8:28 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
vhagar8 said:
still got the same arrogant vibe

You...do realize that, "arrogant vibe" you're getting is purely because of how YOU interpret him, right? It's not based on anything Geoff is actually SAYING.
I think you're mistaking confidence for arrogance; the way Geoff presents his manner of speaking is no different than a college presentation. A good presentation has the speaker talking confidently.

vhagar8 said:
here's a 40 min vid arguing about why everything must conform to my tastes"

...Except Digibro has never said that all anime has to conform to his tastes: all he simply does is make videos explaining why an anime appeals or doesn't appeal to him...which is literally the whole point of an anime Youtuber.

vhagar8 said:
He always behaves like he's on a fucking crusade to save anime, but the fact is, anime never asked to be saved by him in the first place.

Digibro has never claimed he's on a, "crusade to save anime". I think this goes back to how you confuse confidence for arrogance.

It seems like my hunch was right: a lot of people who hate Digibro and Mother's Basement don't hate them for logical reasons that make sense, but hate them because they don't like their personality. Which is perfectly fine, but when you attempt to disguise purely subjective negative interpretation as legit criticism, that's when, I think, you come off as trying to appear smarter than you're actually being.

@Manaban

I'm not trying to disrespect you, but I don't think you provided enough examples for all your points for me to take your opinion completely seriously. Not helping is your wall of text, which makes it difficult for me to fully process everything you're saying.

"Let's read the fuck I want out of this comment and pretend that proves my point"

"Which is perfectly fine, but when you attempt to disguise purely subjective negative interpretation as legit criticism"
When exactly did I do that? Didn't I say I was going to give u my subjective point of view to make u understand why people do hate him? I just explained why I find him unlikable and other people may feel the same way.
I said myself I coundn't critisize a lot about his content because his shitty personality is preventing me to actually watch it. I watched like 3 vids of the guy and the only one I still rembember was related to the "watching anime legally" thing (which u convenetly completly avoided btw) and as I said, I believe that vid to be filled with very bad arguments. If that applies to the rest of his content or not I can't tell, all I know is that I'm not gonna waste my time finding it out.

The very same way ur saying I'm confusing confidence with arrogance, I can say ur confusing arrogance with confidence btw.

About digi, I feel like u completely missed my point but whatever, I don't feel like writing a short essay right now and u'd probably misinterpret it anyway, so assume the fuck u want to assume, I don't really care.
Jan 15, 2019 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
"Let's read the fuck I want out of this comment and pretend that proves my point"

I literally never said that. If you put words in my mouth, I will not talk to you.

vhagar8 said:

When exactly did I do that? Didn't I say I was going to give u my subjective point of view to make u understand why people do hate him? I just explained why I find him unlikable and other people may feel the same way.

Huh. You're actually right.

vhagar8 said:
(which u convenetly completly avoided btw)

What do you mean I "avoided" it?

vhagar8 said:
The very same way ur saying I'm confusing confidence with arrogance, I can say ur confusing arrogance with confidence btw.

I do recommend you watch college powerpoint presentations, and then compare how the speakers there talk, with how Geoff talks.
Jan 15, 2019 9:34 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
vhagar8 said:
(which u convenetly completly avoided btw)

I mean what what avoid fucking means.
No matter how you look at it, a big reason why a lot of people can't stand mother's basement is because of his position against anime piracy.
He wants u to feel inferior to him if u pirate anime when he's yet to bring up an argument against piracy that makes sense
It's the third time I bring this up in my comments, yet u've always avoided the topic, am I to assume that u think I'm right if you're not adressing this part of my comments?
If that's the case, well, here u go, that's one of the main reason people hate him
Jan 15, 2019 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
vhagar8 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

No matter how you look at it, a big reason why a lot of people can't stand mother's basement is because of his position against anime piracy.
He wants u to feel inferior to him if u pirate anime when he's yet to bring up an argument against piracy that makes sense
It's the third time I bring this up in my comments, yet u've always avoided the topic, am I to assume that u think I'm right if you're not adressing this part of my comments?
If that's the case, well, here u go, that's one of the main reason people hate him

I either wasn't paying enough attention, or didn't care to address the topic, because even though I've seen a lot of Mother's Basement videos, I haven't fully watched any of his videos about pirating anime. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
Jan 15, 2019 9:53 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
vhagar8 said:

I either wasn't paying enough attention, or didn't care to address the topic, because even though I've seen a lot of Mother's Basement videos, I haven't fully watched any of his videos about pirating anime. I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Well ok, so that's kind of the main issue there.
We mostly know the guy through different things, so it's pretty normal our view of him differs so much, I guess.
Jan 15, 2019 9:54 PM
Sep 2017
I gotta vote yes but it depends I only follow youtubers with my same taste, so if they recommend something i know im probably going to like it
Jan 16, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2019
Real talk.

Why do you all watch Youtubers. You need to listen to someone talking for like 30 minutes or so. It would be quicker to read something.

I remember when THEManimereviews or stuff like this http://www.therossman.com/rrr/index.html was big.
notnicethingsJan 16, 2019 9:18 PM
Jan 16, 2019 10:45 PM

Sep 2017
I've seen a decent amount of anime youtubers poorly critique a show, but I think The Anime Man and Gigguk do a really good job at critiquing a show and going more in-depth. They're also entertaining to watch imo
Are we really gonna make it..?
Jan 29, 2019 1:05 PM
Nov 2018
I think it depends in the channels one visit, i voted yes because i happen to watch chibi reviews and like them.
Jan 29, 2019 8:11 PM

Apr 2015
Fuck no. Nor do I expect them to be to be honest. Most of the well known "anime critics" are doing this on youtube to make money, and entertainment makes money. I love the concept of critique and consider a critic, so let me tell ya right now: It's not fuck. It's fucking boring. Eventually you have to find creative ways to talk about why something is good in extreme detail, or why something is bad in extreme detail, well, that's if you want to entertain, anyway. When you don't, want to, it begins to get monotonous and only those with an extremely high passion for art in general would keep doing it.

All of these people who have been mentioned (Arkada, Digibor, Gigguk, Mother's Basement), are damn good entertainers and I'm sure are nice people, but in the end, even they've (specifically Gigguk) has admitted: "You're most likely going to want to watch my stuff to laugh, rather than splurge about Evangelion and the intricacies of the human condition." Not trying to blame them, they're trying to make money.

If someone is really interested about anime critique, I would encourage them to at the very least go to more niche, smaller channels, and obviously not go to youtube for it and travel around the web for blogs, have discussions with people and in general learn more about the medium.

But oh wait, that's fucking boring. See the problem here?

So my answer is: no.
Jan 29, 2019 8:22 PM
Jul 2018
Monarch-Reli said:
Fuck no. Nor do I expect them to be to be honest. Most of the well known "anime critics" are doing this on youtube to make money, and entertainment makes money. I love the concept of critique and consider a critic, so let me tell ya right now: It's not fuck. It's fucking boring. Eventually you have to find creative ways to talk about why something is good in extreme detail, or why something is bad in extreme detail, well, that's if you want to entertain, anyway. When you don't, want to, it begins to get monotonous and only those with an extremely high passion for art in general would keep doing it.

All of these people who have been mentioned (Arkada, Digibor, Gigguk, Mother's Basement), are damn good entertainers and I'm sure are nice people, but in the end, even they've (specifically Gigguk) has admitted: "You're most likely going to want to watch my stuff to laugh, rather than splurge about Evangelion and the intricacies of the human condition." Not trying to blame them, they're trying to make money.

If someone is really interested about anime critique, I would encourage them to at the very least go to more niche, smaller channels, and obviously not go to youtube for it and travel around the web for blogs, have discussions with people and in general learn more about the medium.

What do you think of anime Youtubers' actual critiques? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just said they're entertainers, therefore, they're not good critics. I don't understand that. I don't think you've specifically stated how you feel about the quality of their content.
Jan 29, 2019 8:22 PM

Sep 2017
No. They're all cancer and I cannot understand how anyone can sit through something so shitty and boring as analyzing anime. I've seen some entertaining videos of it though.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 29, 2019 8:31 PM

Apr 2015
HopefulNihilist said:
Monarch-Reli said:

What do you think of anime Youtubers' actual critiques? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just said they're entertainers, therefore, they're not good critics. I don't understand that. I don't think you've specifically stated how you feel about the quality of their content.

Ugh, so many typos, sorry, super tired. =.= Anyhow.

Please do not misunderstand, I in no way wish to undervalue their legitimacy as "critics", it's obvious most of those are passionate about the medium in at the very least some capacity. What I am saying, however, is that they are encouraged to use more, let's say rudimentary explanations of their opinions rather than expanding upon them for extending periods of time, not trying to bag, it's what the audience wants, world moves fast, if they wanted to expand upon their opinions they would in the same breath as Nostalgia Critic simply do more formal editorials, which admittedly some have done, hell, I think Gigguk revolves around that or at least used to, he actually is my favorite among the bunch when he ditches the comedy, as I very much enjoyed his opinions more than any other. In fact, before they expanded I was a frequent listener of the Podtaku anime podcast.

However, it appears I don't fully understand the question: "What do you think of anime Youtubers' actual critiques?" Uh, would you like me to talk about, I don't know, Arkada's opinion on Goblin Slayer or something? A specific one you want me to look at? Don't believe I understand this. o.o
Jan 29, 2019 8:31 PM

Aug 2018
Voted 'no'.

The only one woth watching is Gidduk for some laughs.
Anime youtubers that consider themselves as 'critics' really do have only one thing in common: an overbloated ego and nothing else.

It's like critics on MAL, but even worse.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jan 29, 2019 9:00 PM
Jul 2018
Monarch-Reli said:
Please do not misunderstand, I in no way wish to undervalue their legitimacy as "critics", it's obvious most of those are passionate about the medium in at the very least some capacity. What I am saying, however, is that they are encouraged to use more, let's say rudimentary explanations of their opinions rather than expanding upon them for extending periods of time, not trying to bag, it's what the audience wants, world moves fast, if they wanted to expand upon their opinions they would in the same breath as Nostalgia Critic simply do more formal editorials, which admittedly some have done, hell, I think Gigguk revolves around that or at least used to, he actually is my favorite among the bunch when he ditches the comedy, as I very much enjoyed his opinions more than any other. In fact, before they expanded I was a frequent listener of the Podtaku anime podcast.

Ah, I think I understand: are you saying that if anitubers were 100% serious as critics, they'd go into far more detail?

Monarch-Reli said:
However, it appears I don't fully understand the question: "What do you think of anime Youtubers' actual critiques?" Uh, would you like me to talk about, I don't know, Arkada's opinion on Goblin Slayer or something? A specific one you want me to look at? Don't believe I understand this. o.o

When you compare anitubers to, what you consider to be professional critics, how do anitubers hold up?
Jan 29, 2019 9:18 PM

Apr 2015
HopefulNihilist said:
Monarch-Reli said:

Ah, I think I understand: are you saying that if anitubers were 100% serious as critics, they'd go into far more detail?

Bingo. And I do NOT blame them for not doing so, they're not encouraged to because they're not being paid to do that.

Monarch-Reli said:

When you compare anitubers to, what you consider to be professional critics, how do anitubers hold up?

That's an extremely tricky question because, as far as the west goes... they are the only: "anime critics." As popular as anime is getting in the west, there is no formal critic that focuses specifically on Japanese animation, sure we have some that talk about anime but nobody is focused only on that. There is no reason to compare them to Western critics, they're working with a different beast and the best I can judge is there common sense--which most have. So the closest thing we have.... is them. O.o
And when they're not spouting their entertainment run-around, I must admit they're doing a good job. I could talk about how a lot of them don't specifically focus on atmosphere or camerawork which is VERY important to film and--.... well... that's the thing, this isn't film. I mean it is, but it also isn't.

Anime is an extremely complicated thing to criticize for this community because a lot of us, specifically on this forum, and people who speak English fluently, grew up with a western mindset of critique. Let me give you a good example. A Clockwork Orange, the film, is an incredibly, intricately beautiful work, absolutely masterful because not just the imagery, but dialogue and camerawork forces you to get into the entire setting, or you will never understand it. It's confusing, dystopian, allegorical, etc.
The closest anime I can relate a Clockwork Orange to would be Aoi Bungaku, the first arc aniyway.... so.... should I judge it, similarly to A Clockwork Orange...? This is where the problem lies, there is an extreme dissonance in two major areas: Culture: and animation.

I wasn't born or raised in Japan, and if I was I'm sure I would look at a lot of works of art very differently. Plus, animation has an inherent disconnection between the viewer and the work, which is why Pixar tries SO damn hard to make their characters look and express human emotion.

So the question remains, how the hell am I to critique anime "properly", when all I've been taught is western art? I don't think I can, "properly", I don't even think there is a proper way for "us" to do so. Sure, I can string together many things I've learned from the past, but anime is its own thing, no matter how similar and inspired it may be from something else. I heavily bash on anime for unrealistic dialogue, but hey, I was never born or raised in Japan. O.o I also don't know how teenagers around their interact with each other, maybe some young males really do get a harem or something... though unlikely.

TL;DR: They're doing the best they can. They're basically forced to critique anime the way they critique western film or animation, which is not entirely obsolete, but will be flawed in certain areas. I know a lot of people who don't like the Monogatari series because it: "Has no plot", but it does, it's just 90% character driven. That make their opinion wrong...? Not really.

Like I said, it's really complicated, but in the end I honestly do think a lot of them are just doing the best they can breaking apart stuff, while also making it funny so they can make a livelihood, but in all honesty, I don't think the question should be: "How good is this anime?" But: How do even critique anime?" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's no wonder the stuff I like from them the most aren't their reviews, but opinions on the community and progression of the medium, I am particularly found of Digibro's: "We've accepted mediocrity."
Jan 29, 2019 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
Monarch-Reli said:
That's an extremely tricky question because, as far as the west goes... they are the only: "anime critics." As popular as anime is getting in the west, there is no formal critic that focuses specifically on Japanese animation, sure we have some that talk about anime but nobody is focused only on that. There is no reason to compare them to Western critics, they're working with a different beast and the best I can judge is there common sense--which most have. So the closest thing we have.... is them. O.o

That...makes sense, actually. But surely, we can compare how anituers critique an anime's plot and characters, to how a film critic critiques the plot and characters, right?

Monarch-Reli said:
And when they're not spouting their entertainment run-around, I must admit they're doing a good job. I could talk about how a lot of them don't specifically focus on atmosphere or camerawork which is VERY important to film and--.... well... that's the thing, this isn't film. I mean it is, but it also isn't.

I also wish they'd focus on atmosphere and camerawork. Thankfully, a lot of Mother's Basement's videos actually comment on that stuff. Although, I can't recall any specific videos from him that do that right now.

Monarch-Reli said:
Anime is an extremely complicated thing to criticize for this community because a lot of us, specifically on this forum, and people who speak English fluently, grew up with a western mindset of critique.

That...makes a lot of sense. I can think of a great example. I've heard from others that French films are "boring" because they, "drag on". But in France, from the French's perspectives, their films don't "drag on" (I'm guessing). Still, I think we should still critique based on the cultural values we grew up with.

Monarch-Reli said:
Let me give you a good example. A Clockwork Orange, the film, is an incredibly, intricately beautiful work, absolutely masterful because not just the imagery, but dialogue and camerawork forces you to get into the entire setting, or you will never understand it. It's confusing, dystopian, allegorical, etc.
The closest anime I can relate a Clockwork Orange to would be Aoi Bungaku, the first arc aniyway.... so.... should I judge it, similarly to A Clockwork Orange...? This is where the problem lies, there is an extreme dissonance in two major areas: Culture: and animation.

I find your comparison confusing. I haven't watched Clockwork Orange, but based on how you're describing it, it's an avante garde confusing anime, like Angel's Egg, whereas the first arc of Aoi Bungaku is a pretty straightforward story, with a dark atmosphere.

Monarch-Reli said:
I wasn't born or raised in Japan, and if I was I'm sure I would look at a lot of works of art very differently. Plus, animation has an inherent disconnection between the viewer and the work, which is why Pixar tries SO damn hard to make their characters look and express human emotion.

I don't understand what you're exactly trying to say when you bring up Pixar and how they animate.

Monarch-Reli said:
I heavily bash on anime for unrealistic dialogue, but hey, I was never born or raised in Japan. O.o

My family is Turkish. I've been to Turkey almost every year my whole life. I can say that, based on my interactions with adults in Turkey vs America, there isn't a huge difference. Except that in Turkey, people are more direct. For example, this one woman I talked to in Turkey blatantly said that when she was in America, people "acted the same"...while knowing that I was from America.
What I'm trying to say, is that it's possible that the way people interact in Japan vs America may not be all that different. But that's only hypothetical, I have no proof or experience to back that up.

Monarch-Reli said:
I also don't know how teenagers around their interact with each other,

I'm guessing that teens in Japan aren't much more mature than the ones in America.

Monarch-Reli said:
maybe some young males really do get a harem or something... though unlikely.

If that's the case, I'm moving to Japan: because not one girl has ever developed romantic feelings for me!

I'm more confused of your opinion on anitubers than ever. In your original post, you said, "fuck no", yet you also seem to be saying that they're doing a good job?
Jan 29, 2019 9:32 PM
Nov 2018
No, the tend to subjective sometimes even following the the trending opinion,

and when they need money they looklike sellout
Sorry for the grammar
Jan 29, 2019 10:22 PM

Apr 2015
HopefulNihilist said:
Monarch-Reli said:

That...makes sense, actually. But surely, we can compare how anituers critique an anime's plot and characters, to how a film critic critiques the plot and characters, right?

Sure, to a degree. Character development is something that can, for instance, easily go beyond the culture barrier, but when we get into things like character motivations and reasonings, this is where some problems can occur, not on a critical, admittedly, but subjective level. For instance, Ging Freecss in Hunter x Hunter, abandons his own son, Gon, so he can go on his own adventures, yet he is portrayed to be likable, this could create a dichotomy with an average viewer, why are we supposed to like someone who abandons their son? Well, in Buddhism, this is actually seen as a journey of enlightenment... may not know that, but in Japan, yeah, that's a commonly known tale. A critic could scold this aspect when not knowing the nuance of it, it's why everyone should do more research when aiming to criticize a foreign work.

Monarch-Reli said:
Anime is an extremely complicated thing to criticize for this community because a lot of us, specifically on this forum, and people who speak English fluently, grew up with a western mindset of critique.

That...makes a lot of sense. I can think of a great example. I've heard from others that French films are "boring" because they, "drag on". But in France, from the French's perspectives, their films don't "drag on" (I'm guessing). Still, I think we should still critique based on the cultural values we grew up with.

This reminds me of an old tale my Grandmother used to tell me when I was a kid. Ever heard of the tale of the three men and the elephant? Basically, three men with blindfolds are told to touch an elephant, and describe it, however, each man is touching a different part of it, therefore, their answers are all different and they constantly disagree with each other, but this is only because they originally, only feeling a specific part, they are then encouraged to explore more of the elephant together in order to understand it.

Basically, while I do agree with you, I also think we should try to see things from the intention, and cultural nuances of their creators. I mean, I'll use your username for example, you can't really, exactly understand the motivations of Johan from Monster without knowing a bit about nihilism, just like how it's hard for people to understand why Grave of Fireflies (at least in many respects) is a very important film in Japan's history: why Godzilla (the 1954 film) is actually an allegory for Hiroshima, etc. We don't HAVE to know these things, but we should not consider the study of them burdens, rather, additions to our knowledge in trying to understand, and break down the cultural barrier.

Monarch-Reli said:
Let me give you a good example. A Clockwork Orange, the film, is an incredibly, intricately beautiful work, absolutely masterful because not just the imagery, but dialogue and camerawork forces you to get into the entire setting, or you will never understand it. It's confusing, dystopian, allegorical, etc.

I find your comparison confusing. I haven't watched Clockwork Orange, but based on how you're describing it, it's an avante garde confusing anime, like Angel's Egg, whereas the first arc of Aoi Bungaku is a pretty straightforward story, with a dark atmosphere.

Pardon me, this example was based off assumption and I concede is not the best use of trying to get someone to understand what I'm trying to get across, as the main character of A Clockwork Orange is extremely similar to the protagonist of Aoi Bungaku (first series anyway). I was trying to draw a similarity, but this failed, due to my own assumptions.

Monarch-Reli said:

I don't understand what you're exactly trying to say when you bring up Pixar and how they animate.

This is another fault on my part. What I'm trying to get across is, it's hard to get wrapped into anime and judge it as I were to film, because there's an inherent disconnection. It's harder to get wrapped up in characters that... you know all the time are characters. Many works of art try to absolutely enthrall you, in some way shape or form, into their universe. Pixar does this by making characters look very human. All I was trying to say, and my fault of not explaining better.

Monarch-Reli said:
I heavily bash on anime for unrealistic dialogue, but hey, I was never born or raised in Japan. O.o

My family is Turkish. I've been to Turkey almost every year my whole life. I can say that, based on my interactions with adults in Turkey vs America, there isn't a huge difference. Except that in Turkey, people are more direct. For example, this one woman I talked to in Turkey blatantly said that when she was in America, people "acted the same"...while knowing that I was from America.
What I'm trying to say, is that it's possible that the way people interact in Japan vs America may not be all that different. But that's only hypothetical, I have no proof or experience to back that up.

Now why i do acknowledge this as a possibility, I will shoot both our arguments in the foot by saying; This is admittedly anecdotal. And at the very least, puts us in the whole: "Schrondinger space" puzzle which is: "maybe it is, maybe it isn't?" I mean, let's not underestimate cultural and its impact upon youth and its people there. There's a reason sticking a thumb up in some countries can get your ass kicked in an ally, when you thought you were just cheering someone on.

Monarch-Reli said:
maybe some young males really do get a harem or something... though unlikely.

If that's the case, I'm moving to Japan: because not one girl has ever developed romantic feelings for me!

I'm more confused of your opinion on anitubers than ever. In your original post, you said, "fuck no", yet you also seem to be saying that they're doing a good job?

Indeed. I say: "Fuck no", but also admit, they are doing a good job, but ultimately.... by default. O.o Who the hell else is taking on the medium to this extent in western culture? Not many. I do not call them good critics, because, at the moment, they simply cannot be due to the very beast they're tackling, along with trying to get money. Ultimately, these "anitubers", would probably not be as big as they were if they were aiming to fully dissect and understand every intricacy of this art form.

Point is: I don't consider them good critics... but also don't blame them for not being good critics. Plus, as I (clumsily and with typos) said before, being a critic of anything is boring, really, really boring. It involves a lot of research of the history of the art form, various philosophers of that art form or philosophers in general if a specific piece takes a lot of inspirations or ideas from one (you better know about Nietzsche, Shakespeare, and more to understand some stuff in Hellsing Ultimate), honers of the craft in the art form, and you will have to constantly be faced with challenges or debates (much like this one), admitting your wrongs and improving yourself as well as your opinions and how you articulate them, etc. It's not very fun at all unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated, I for instance think around 80% of the anime I've seen is CRAP! And I'm tired of talking about, and explaining in great detail why it's crap. ... But I still like anime and animation, cuz I'm really passionate about it. I LOVE watching good and bad shows, I love continuing to learn about critiquing anime and the way the medium works, only reason I'm still here.

But I would never dare to try in being an anituber (is that what we're calling them...?), it would be boring as all hell to only the few dedicated and eventually if I kept at it I probably WOULD get money out of it, but in general the world moves way too fast for something like the intricacies of a medium in a 60 minute video to compare to something like Arkada's wit, rudimentary, and ability to give a basic score and recommendation. It's why I barely consider them critics, they're not, they're reviewers that occasionally have a critique. A reviewer is for the consumer, a critic is, morbid as it sounds, mostly in the gain and journey for their own pleasure and passion, even Roger Ebert, possibly the most famous film critic in the west of all time, just shoved in the "Thumbs up or down" thing at the end of his show for the audience, he wasn't focused on what they thought, he was interested on the progression of film and understanding how it works, the audience was an afterthought. That's the biggest difference.

In the end, I retain my answer: ... Fuck no. XD

I like you a lot though, we should chat sometime. >.>
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
58 seconds ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

20 by Poydoo »»
10 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
10 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
10 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.