Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2019 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
So Rinne's Lagrange is a lesbian mecha anime with forced feels. Not a fan of the show. The romance stuff was pretty bad, and the emotional stuff didn't feel earned.
Toaru Hikuushi No Koiuta is flying anime with this big drop around the end where like 70% of the cast dies. This show's fantastic. Because a lot of the shit getting real happens around the end, there's enough buildup when shit hits the fan. The romance here is also not very good :/

I think he likes trying to make watchers feel negative emotions. He's also not very good with romance. He did direct Moonphase and that anime's romance is also terrible.
Jan 22, 2019 6:11 AM

Dec 2010
TitanAnteus said:
So Rinne's Lagrange is a lesbian mecha anime with forced feels. Not a fan of the show. The romance stuff was pretty bad, and the emotional stuff didn't feel earned.
Toaru Hikuushi No Koiuta is flying anime with this big drop around the end where like 70% of the cast dies. This show's fantastic. Because a lot of the shit getting real happens around the end, there's enough buildup when shit hits the fan. The romance here is also not very good :/

I think he likes trying to make watchers feel negative emotions. He's also not very good with romance. He did direct Moonphase and that anime's romance is also terrible.

I have a feeling its going to turn into a Yuri show soon.
Jan 23, 2019 8:21 AM

Apr 2012
@hack5 One of female MC is only 12 years old and the show does not have a romance tag. Of course it will be yuri. Any show with two MCs of the same gender is a qeer romance, that’s obvious.

TitanAnteus said:

You are confusing the director and screenwriter. Secondly, Rinne never had a "lesbian show", the authors at the very beginning said in an interview that they initially wanted to create a yuri story, but then decided to avoid any romance at all. Female MC and large doses of fanservice baiting don't yet turn the show into a romance.
Jan 23, 2019 2:21 PM

Dec 2010
RobertBobert said:
@hack5 One of female MC is only 12 years old and the show does not have a romance tag. Of course it will be yuri. Any show with two MCs of the same gender is a qeer romance, that’s obvious.

TitanAnteus said:

You are confusing the director and screenwriter. Secondly, Rinne never had a "lesbian show", the authors at the very beginning said in an interview that they initially wanted to create a yuri story, but then decided to avoid any romance at all. Female MC and large doses of fanservice baiting don't yet turn the show into a romance.

Thanks for the heads up I guess another show to drop this season I am not into yuri or yuri baiting.
Jan 23, 2019 3:17 PM

Apr 2012
@hack5 What kind of yuri or baiting are you talking about? The show has not had a any hint that it is going to be yuri.

Jan 23, 2019 5:13 PM

Aug 2015
hack5 said:
RobertBobert said:

Thanks for the heads up I guess another show to drop this season I am not into yuri or yuri baiting.

RobertBobert was clearly being sarcastic.
Jan 23, 2019 5:52 PM

Dec 2010
TheKillerAngel said:
hack5 said:

RobertBobert was clearly being sarcastic.

LOL I know still dropping it though maybe I will pick it up later.
Mar 1, 2019 1:54 PM
Mar 2018
TitanAnteus said:

Well, what did you expect from a country that drools over games and other media where mandatory sexual molestation and rape is appreciated.

However the clashes of what's perceived as "good" and as "oh-god-why-japan?" How is this show? Because I saw some scenes on the youtube and from what I can tell, it's pretty much the same as you mentioned earlier; forced, but you can at least walk away at will...
Mar 2, 2019 1:49 AM

Apr 2016
DonTrumpolino said:
TitanAnteus said:

Well, what did you expect from a country that drools over games and other media where mandatory sexual molestation and rape is appreciated.

However the clashes of what's perceived as "good" and as "oh-god-why-japan?" How is this show? Because I saw some scenes on the youtube and from what I can tell, it's pretty much the same as you mentioned earlier; forced, but you can at least walk away at will...

Well, the guy opening this thread had no clue about "Egao no Daika", so the "forced, but you can at least walk away at will." is laughable since there's nothing of the sort in this show, not even romance :)

Nevertheless the "I think he likes trying to make watchers feel negative emotions." made some sense. At least you can say that the director like to crush one's expectations. The story does not follow the usual tropes. Many watchers are at loss with this approach. You just have to read the comments for the episodes and see the frustration of many with the development of the story. We aren't used to something like that. It's pretty unusual but that's also why it's great.
Mar 2, 2019 4:54 AM
Mar 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Well, the guy opening this thread had no clue about "Egao no Daika", so the "forced, but you can at least walk away at will." is laughable since there's nothing of the sort in this show, not even romance :)

Nevertheless the "I think he likes trying to make watchers feel negative emotions." made some sense. At least you can say that the director like to crush one's expectations. The story does not follow the usual tropes. Many watchers are at loss with this approach. You just have to read the comments for the episodes and see the frustration of many with the development of the story. We aren't used to something like that. It's pretty unusual but that's also why it's great.

So it's also safe to assume that the writers just did a bad job. Just like you can either say, that Jun Maeda's works are heavy on the dramedy laugh-then-feels train or he is just bad at transitioning from one to another emotion...
Mar 2, 2019 9:23 AM

Apr 2016
DonTrumpolino said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

So it's also safe to assume that the writers just did a bad job. Just like you can either say, that Jun Maeda's works are heavy on the dramedy laugh-then-feels train or he is just bad at transitioning from one to another emotion...

Well it's definitely a bad job for those who want to watch a shounen with obvious quick positive development through power level up.

... but

... It's not a shounen in the first place.

For me, the director does a great job, but the problem is probably the targeting. Like I said in my review, the show looks like targeted at a shoujo, shounen kind of public, namely teenagers, but it's written more like a seinen, josei kind of story namely something for adults.

So it ended up being watch by people too young to get why the story-telling is so interesting compared with many other animes.

It's strange. It's an UFO. But some people might like to get something out of the ordinary for once and if we can have some ideas about how it could end, we can't say we are sure anymore seeing the development of the last 9 episodes.
Mar 8, 2019 10:18 PM

Dec 2015
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
the show looks like targeted at a shoujo, shounen kind of public, namely teenagers.
It ended up being watch by people too young.

Your assumption doesn't take the fact it's broadcasted between 21h30 and 22h into account. This works only in our countries where simulcasts companies main targets are adolescents (and young adults).

@romagia Not only the main TV channel is WOWOW who is partly a pâyed channel who invests mainly in adolescent/young adult animated series (and those satiric animated series the US are praised for) (I'm pretty sure no US child actively puts the TV monitor on HBO) but I also have a great deal of difficulties to consider video on demand websites as a thing you put your children in front of to take care of them (unlike, let's say... free TV).
What I mean is japanese/anybidy watching anime online will be people who actively seek this activity, again not children.

All my excuses if i'm too old for this and should take off my 30years old eyes before talking about this.
Rei_IIIMar 9, 2019 6:18 AM
Mar 9, 2019 4:04 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
the show looks like targeted at a shoujo, shounen kind of public, namely teenagers.

Your assumption doesn't take the fact it's broadcasted between 21h30 and 22h into account. This works only in our countries where simulcasts companies main targets are adolescents (and young adults).

Good point.

Still, from the writing it's definitely not a shounen.

Seeing the main characters are female, the empire army general being a woman, the vanquish with the most screen time being Yuni ... we could say it's a Shoujo, maybe? I don't know if it's usual for a shoujo to be that realistic about the price of war, having such a negative development on Yuuki's side for so long and having such a grey presentation of the situation.

Finally, if we can safely say the opening was trolling us, at least the title of the show wasn't.
Mar 9, 2019 5:32 AM

Feb 2013
Rei366 said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

it's not like the japanese don't watch anime online too
this anime in particular seems to be on a lot of jp streaming services (though granted i wouldnt know the target audience of these services)
http://egaonodaika.com/onair/
Mar 11, 2019 9:36 AM

Apr 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Rei366 said:

Good point.

Seeing the main characters are female, the empire army general being a woman, the vanquish with the most screen time being Yuni ... we could say it's a Shoujo, maybe? I don't know if it's usual for a shoujo to be that realistic about the price of war, having such a negative development on Yuuki's side for so long and having such a grey presentation of the situation.

Finally, if we can safely say the opening was trolling us, at least the title of the show wasn't.

In such matters, it is important not so much the gender of the characters, but the context in which the cast is located. In this case, this may be an attempt at gender-neutral treatment, for example, many girls and a serious topic attract men, while the female MC and the whole female POV attract girls. The Japanese often do that.
Mar 11, 2019 11:07 AM

Apr 2016
RobertBobert said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Good point.

In such matters, it is important not so much the gender of the characters, but the context in which the cast is located. In this case, this may be an attempt at gender-neutral treatment, for example, many girls and a serious topic attract men, while the female MC and the whole female POV attract girls. The Japanese often do that.

I know, I am a man and I'm really interested in this anime and fascinated at how unconventionally the story evolved.

I still do think though it's not a story for young male teenagers, it's too frustrating/hard for most of them. There's in this anime a mature aspect with the realism of war and an obvious reject of the "fight above all and fight at all cost" value you find in most shounen. Male teenagers usually can't cope with these while war-rejection and idealism like "all lives matter" are values you could think you would find in shoujo literature or adult literature.
Mar 11, 2019 11:15 AM

Apr 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
RobertBobert said:

I know, I am a man and I'm really interested in this anime and fascinated at how unconventionally the story evolved.

I still do think though it's not a story for young male teenagers, it's too frustrating/hard for most of them. There's in this anime a mature aspect with the realism of war and an obvious reject of the "fight above all and fight at all cost" value you find in most shounen. Male teenagers usually can't cope with these while war-rejection and idealism like "all lives matter" are values you could think you would find in shoujo literature or adult literature.

Well I do not know. I do not want to speak for all the guys, but personally I can not agree that the guys are waiting for particular message from the war-themed content. In any case, as you can see from the comments, this anime is really watched both boys and girls.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Egao no Daika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2019

54 by removed-user »»
Nov 15, 2022 5:19 PM

Poll: » Egao no Daika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

98 by Serafos »»
Feb 21, 2022 12:52 PM

Poll: » Egao no Daika Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

41 by Serafos »»
Feb 21, 2022 12:08 PM

Poll: » Egao no Daika Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

41 by Serafos »»
Feb 21, 2022 11:10 AM

Poll: » Egao no Daika Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

50 by Serafos »»
Feb 21, 2022 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.