Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2019 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, it's kinda crazy how Echoes judges people and what he can capable of doing.

As expected, more violence this episode and Boogiepop also shows its view on humans. Judgement is a scary thing. Manticore is also a character that had more human traits than I had expected.
Stark700Jan 11, 2019 6:27 AM
Jan 11, 2019 5:12 AM

Sep 2014
Lol what is the guy thinking, stabbing him with a pen - ya John Wick?

Dat fighting animation looks really bad...

Dat Manticore gurl creeped me out

Jan 11, 2019 5:31 AM

Jun 2013
So this episode was the climax of the first little arc... I think it was a bad choice to give us 2 episodes in a row and the climax episode one week later. They can't do anything about it because it's 18 episodes but it's just that it felt off.

The episode started a bit slow but it turned out to be pretty intriguing especially because I loved the direction, there were some great ideas to present the horror themes. Pretty interesting animation scenes as well.
MrMushinJan 11, 2019 5:35 AM
Jan 11, 2019 5:41 AM

Mar 2016
This was the ending for the first arc. Guess they tried to rush this one, I hope the next ones are better.
Jan 11, 2019 6:40 AM

Sep 2015
I'm too dumb to follow the story just by people names, but I'm gonna keep trying. The action is cool. Also, the story its really rushed and cutted.
shiro_kaiJan 11, 2019 7:02 AM
Jan 11, 2019 6:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
A group of people who actually behave like normal people saved the world for now. Naoko by showing kindess to Echoes, glasses girl by shielding Echoes and archery boy by showing bravery and strength shooting the manticore.

Nice moment with Echoes going off.
Jan 11, 2019 6:48 AM
Sep 2018
with this third episode everything was interlaced. The parts of the story that were told in the previous episodes, became one. I grow well, now everything makes sense. I liked the way Boogiepop works on his timeline, very interesting. I liked this ep, the part of the fight was very lively, it's just waiting for more. anxious for the next!
Jan 11, 2019 7:06 AM
Mar 2018
Well this episode explained everything. So far this anime is pretty good.
Jan 11, 2019 7:23 AM

Dec 2014
It looks like this episode shows the events of what lead to the finale which is what the first episode showed.

It's almost as though the series has reached kind of a conclusion since we kinda have the whole story now.
Having said that, where will this show go from here? They 'saved' the world so what's next? I have no idea what the future episodes will be about unless it's gonna continue showing us some middleground that happened during the manticore incident.

Still don't know who or what Boogiepop is. I suppose we'll see since we've got a lot of episodes.
Jan 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Feb 2016
Is saotome a human or the some evil creature
Jan 11, 2019 7:28 AM

Dec 2014
Kyuu-oppa said:
Lelouch0202 said:
It looks like this episode shows the events of what lead to the finale which is what the first episode showed.

It's almost as though the series has reached kind of a conclusion since we kinda have the whole story now.
Having said that, where will this show go from here? They 'saved' the world so what's next? I have no idea what the future episodes will be about unless it's gonna continue showing us some middleground that happened during the manticore incident.

Still don't know who or what Boogiepop is. I suppose we'll see since we've got a lot of episodes.
Ep3 closes the first arc which is the manticore incident. As the end of the ep hinted, it is just the beginning C:

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I was originally under the impression that the entire thing was just one big incident.
Jan 11, 2019 7:29 AM

Feb 2015
I'm gonna stick with it because they could still turn it around, but I think my issue with the series currently is that I don't care whatsoever about the characters. There's a bunch of things happening (REALLY FAST DAMN) but it's hard to connect because I really don't know anything about these people beyond the surface level. Honestly, these three episodes managed to pack a series worth of content in- they just left out the part where you get to know the players in the story.

Like, it's certainly got an atmosphere, and maybe that's part of why the characters are so blank. The blankness does add some to the eerie nature of the show, but I'm not sure it's an even trade-off.

I don't really expect everyone to have the same problem- I consider character to be scores more important than plot or any other story element, but I know many people aren't the same way. Which is totally fair! I'm curious enough to continue since this seemed to honestly somehow just be a prologue. As I said at the start, they could still turn this around for me.
Jan 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Oct 2018
The anime is okay so far.

This arc felt very rushed and I barely got to know the characters but the mystery was interesting and seeing everything connect at the end is satisfying.

Will keep watching for now.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I will tell them they're wrong every single time." — Kaname Madoka
Jan 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Jan 2009
this episode is good showing how they defeated Manticore/Man-eater and how Echoes faith in humanity was restored

but damn the animation is bad
Jan 11, 2019 7:53 AM

Aug 2013
Masterpiece tier OST, that's for sure.
Storywise, I didn't expect something like this, but I'm positively surprised so far. I love the voice acting too.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 11, 2019 8:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty good episode, it’s cool to see how the episode managed to fill us in with most of the details and all the events connected up quite brilliantly. Final scene of Nagi and the President’s little conversation with Touka, aka Boogiepop occasionally, was a nice addition to the episode and just goes to show what I mentioned earlier.

I’m still not honestly sure what Boogiepop was up to during all the buildup to this point when the girls were dying left and right, but it was nice to see her make a cool entrance with that badass Voice Acting to boot. I wonder whether that archer boy ran all the way screaming to find a bow and arrow and then came back though with some heroics, because it certainly seemed like that to me(the flashbacks must’ve been right before the incident after all). To be fairly honest, the change in mood while he was fleeing and pulling off that heroic afterwards especially when considering the minimal amount of time that must’ve passed in between makes it quite laughable and stupid really.
Moving on, the non-linear storytelling of this episode was rather straightforward and very easy to understand but I’m assuming this was deliberately done to reveal the mystery to us and just the whole execution of it was pretty well done. Mystery sort of held up well and the tension was there, mainly thanks to Saotome’s presence. Speaking of Saotome though, I wonder what happened to him. Did he get blasted through by that ray of light when Echoes transformed? Well, guess we’ll never know the exact details though since it seems as though we’re already underway into the next arc considering how the episode ended with that suicide attempt of whoever it was. Echoes coming to the conclusion that humans were good enough was well developed, Naoka you’ve literally just saved Humanity. Rip! Meanwhile, Manticore was seriously creepy when she lost it there and the assistance with the great music, albeit the odd timing for a second there, but sadly the animation was below par. Looks like Nagi was alive after all thanks to Echoes sharing some of his life to her, explaining why he was much weaker than usual, and that was pleasing to see I suppose. Also, it looks like she knows of the existence of Boogiepop too, I wonder what past experience could they have shared before this.
Just curious now, but what was the point of the male main character of the first episode? Was it just to acclimatise is to this wicked world in a roundabout manner or something of the sort?

Anyway, can’t say I’m fully hooked just yet either but I’m definitely up for more!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 11, 2019 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
It feels so lackluster to me. :/ I'll keep watching for now though.
Jan 11, 2019 8:26 AM

May 2015
Oh, I started to like Echoes, I'm sad now.

It was a nice wrap-up, but nothing really new.
Interesting though, how they highlighted humanity and simple acts rather than hero-like persona who rushes to save the day. If anything, I like the feel of slowness here, and the flashing details like the eyes at the end keep it intriguing.
Jan 11, 2019 8:31 AM

Sep 2014
The whole thing was resolved too straightforwardly for my taste. The decision to unveil all the mysteries nonchalantly in episode 2 was really weird. The story is interesting but it's really lacking in execution.

Still a surprisingly entertaining show so far, despite the bad animation, uninteresting characters, and mediocre writing.

Jan 11, 2019 8:34 AM

Feb 2013
I feel like I would love this series if it was a bit more clear. The timeline is pretty confusing to me as well as putting each characters appearance to a name. Still enjoyable to watch though.
Jan 11, 2019 8:35 AM
Mar 2016
Am I the only one who didn't find the animation bad? It is actually really good but that small chase/fight looked wacky but overall it is quite good.

Anyways solid episode , Looking forward to next one

also didn't expect Nagi to (almost) die, that was brutal.
Jan 11, 2019 9:37 AM

May 2010
the animation quality around 12:31 ...im blind now.
Jan 11, 2019 9:39 AM

Mar 2017
This anime is really strange and i'm not sure if i actually like it yet but there's something that really draws me in! The Op and Ed is really cool too!
Jan 11, 2019 9:41 AM

Dec 2017
yeah, so far this show is a solid 3/10

some alien passing the judgement on the Earth, then teleporting back, regenerating the miss high school detective in an ass pull manner. all of this happening with weird cuts and fast pace, i don't know why are they doing this... i get that there's like different POV to this arc, but cutting it like that is just horrible. maybe they just wanna get over with this book?

digi showed that they adapted this much of the book in just 2 episodes. why butchering the source? mystery

still have my hopes high that next arcs would do justice
Jan 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Jul 2017
Oh well, that was a quick resolve after the non-linear progression that is Episode 1 and 2. Seems rushed though.

Hopefully things will get clearer somehow...
Jan 11, 2019 9:49 AM

Mar 2016
This feels like the end of arc 1, but the opening theme makes it look like Boogiepop would be around with the girl for much longer. So, is he going to posses her again or shift to another student? Or maybe, we might get another POV?

The boy that ran away was so funny. Didn't think he'd be the one to conclude everything.

I am loving this anime so much!!! I love the way they reveal things. This probably would not have been as fun if the plot unfolded chronologically.
Jan 11, 2019 10:01 AM

Apr 2017
i'm only slightly less confused than i was before after watching this episode. if i'm understanding this correctly, this was told from a different character's (nagi's?) POV like the first two episodes. i kinda get it, and it's all not making a lotta sense now, but ik it's gonna all come together eventually, kinda like steins;gate.

from reading the comments in this thread, it seems like this is the end of the intro arc or smth along those lines. i have a feeling that the rest of the show is gonna revolve around this whole manticore incident, but i haven't read the light novel so i might end up biting my tongue later.

the animation is pretty top tier so far. i mean it's madhouse so you can't really expect anything less from them. the ost is also great - that op? a BANGER.

i'm liking this one. like i said i'm pretty confused rn but i'm gonna stick with it bc i'm sure it'll all come together. the light novel has gotten so much praise, so there has to be a reason for that.
Jan 11, 2019 10:06 AM
Jun 2008
So that explains what happened in the first episode, huh? Interesting.

Then again, what happened to Masami Saotome? Did he went AWOL?
Jan 11, 2019 10:14 AM

May 2017
meh.. the action scene didn't really catch me. plus the story is pretty boring so far, so are the characters except boogiepop.
Jan 11, 2019 10:17 AM

Mar 2017
Another great episode. One episode at a time really can't satisfy me this time.
Feels so great how the dots are lining up with every new episode.
Manticore is dead and Echoes went back. Who was that person at the end of the episode I wonder.
Jan 11, 2019 10:19 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Man if Nagi actually died I would have been pissed lol, but with this, we are officially aligned with the ending of episode 1

I laughed my butt off when Naoko's boyfriend just ran away after Nagi got slashed but I'm glad that he came back and delivered the killing blow to Manticore....Also, good riddance to that cunt that was helping her

But now that Echoes left and also gave apart of his "life" to Nagi, I wonder what's gonna happen in regards to his people as well as what all changes will come in Nagi, whom already was a beast before this

But overall, it was another very good episode and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next (Curious to find out who that girl was at the very end though)

Jan 11, 2019 10:19 AM
Apr 2016
Kyuu-oppa said:
Bayonette said:
Then again, what happened to Masami Saotome? Did he went AWOL?
ya AWOL... i guess. or MIA. he got pulverised in that lazer/light xD

Did he? I could not find any even slightly clear implication what happened to him. Was he not taken into wherever Echoes shot himself as an information ray? The means through which Saotome ceased to exist are quite unclear.
And in the very end, was it Miyashita jumping off the building while knowingly addressing Boogiepop? I hope this is only the adaptation that deals in such unclear moments.
I knew the kid ran back for the bow, I believed in him... oh well. It sure felt like it could fit into a series of its own, and here be the end of the 12th episode. Looking forward to the next crisis.
Re:formed
Jan 11, 2019 10:22 AM
Apr 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
Kyuu-oppa said:
ya AWOL... i guess. or MIA. he got pulverised in that lazer/light xD

Did he? I could not find any even slightly clear implication what happened to him. Was he not taken into wherever Echoes shot himself as an information ray? The means through which Saotome ceased to exist are quite unclear.
And in the very end, was it Miyashita jumping off the building while knowingly addressing Boogiepop? I hope this is only the adaptation that deals in such unclear moments.
I knew the kid ran back for the bow, I believed in him... oh well. It sure felt like it could fit into a series of its own, and here be the end of the 12th episode. Looking forward to the next crisis.

yep he was literally "blown away" :D

No that wasn't Miyashita. It's a completly new character and the opening to a new act.
Jan 11, 2019 10:29 AM
Oct 2018
Hmm yea I don't know... I haven't read the source material but I feel like I missed out on like 5-10 chapters. I'm sorta getting feels from *shudders*, Tokyo Ghoul anime again. While I don't mind a good mystery or confusing chronological orders I honestly can't say I remembered a quarter of the cast and we're already 3 eps in.
Jan 11, 2019 10:32 AM

Mar 2018
So far I’m not feeling anything with this anime. It’s not bad, but I feel like they show you too much in just 3 episodes. Or maybe its because I thought the ending of the first episode was the ending of the whole story/anime? But there are different arcs? I don’t know.
but damn the animation was bad this episode
Jan 11, 2019 10:45 AM
Nov 2016
This show is so dementia. I love it!
Jan 11, 2019 11:03 AM

Dec 2012
Little_Nai said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

yep he was literally "blown away" :D

No that wasn't Miyashita. It's a completly new character and the opening to a new act.

Yep.

Saotome-kun ends up in Boogiepop Phantom. Literally.

This is why Echoes's ray of light is important - it's the reason behind all similarities and differences in the characters, the story, and the concept of the previous anime.

That being said, with the jumping girl you saw in the end, the story actually began and continues :)
Jan 11, 2019 11:07 AM

Aug 2013
heck i feel good, my brain is totally enlightened!
Jan 11, 2019 11:09 AM

Dec 2014
I am like more and more confused while watching this show
Jan 11, 2019 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
This show is getting into so bad it's good territory
Jan 11, 2019 11:22 AM

Jun 2014
Now that the first arc is over, I'll probably rewatch these three episodes in one sitting so that it'll make more sense. I'm still not sure how I feel about this show just yet, but hopefully that changes in the next few episodes.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 11, 2019 11:22 AM

Nov 2016
The pacing is really ruining my enjoyment.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 11, 2019 11:30 AM
Feb 2018
Unpopular opinion of mine: i realy like the animation.
For some reason the focus on drawing all of the character in the scene at one time, rather then just the upper bodies realy looks good. Yet somehow it also has this huge scale feel that made the small but well made action scene all that much better.
Also the story, i mean come on, this was well written.
Jan 11, 2019 11:36 AM
Mar 2015
Glad to see Manticore die Her pimp should die also Poor Exhoes He really give his life for humans.
Jan 11, 2019 11:46 AM

Jan 2018
Phew, I thought the animation was bad in the first two episodes. That fight scene was pretty jank, it just looked like two blurs through most of it.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 11, 2019 11:48 AM

Mar 2018
Kyuu-oppa said:
Gailo said:
So far I’m not feeling anything with this anime. It’s not bad, but I feel like they show you too much in just 3 episodes. Or maybe its because I thought the ending of the first episode was the ending of the whole story/anime? But there are different arcs? I don’t know.
but damn the animation was bad this episode
Ah yeah. Ep1-3 cover the manticore arc, the first arc in the series. They cut out a ton of stuff (if compared to LN). Imo, I think they are prioritizing the next arc. thats why they prolly went over the first arc quickly

Oh ok, no wonder it ended so quickly.
Jan 11, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2018
It was ok. A bit rushed but still enjoyable.
Jan 11, 2019 12:50 PM

Sep 2011
This was so cool, and suspenseful!

For a moment I thought they were done for. Echoes was weak, Saotome "killed" Kirima, and it felt like there was nothing that could stop them any longer. It's crazy how he went from feeding humans to a man-eater "demon" to killing people himself, but somehow in the end he still protected the Manticore, dying in its place. I guess he came to care about it.

That girl, the president, she was so cool too! Not backing down, and still having fire in her eyes even though she knew she was going to die. And Naoko's boyfriend was pretty cool too. He finished the Manticore. Of course he couldn't have done it without Boogiepop, but if it went after him for help in the first place, then he had something on him. A pretty good episode, it seems that Kirima is a witch, and I wonder what's going to happen now.
Jan 11, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 2009
FuMomo-kun said:
This feels like the end of arc 1, but the opening theme makes it look like Boogiepop would be around with the girl for much longer. So, is he going to posses her again or shift to another student?

Boogiepop isn't a separate entity from Touka. They're two personalities of the same person. He takes over when he feels danger. Otherwise he remains dormant inside of Touka.
Jan 11, 2019 1:04 PM
Jul 2009
Fayrin said:
it seems that Kirima is a witch

That's just a nickname. She's as normal a human as they come. She fancies herself special and abnormal but she's not.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.