Forum Settings
Forums

In your opinion, what's the most important thing in a battle-shounen anime?

Jan 9, 7:10 PM

As it's my favorite genre, and the genre that first gets many into anime as a whole, I'm curious to know what you all feel is the most important factor in making a battle-shounen great.

Is it plot? Characters? Fights? Whatever it may be, explain your answer. There's no point if you don't explain your answer, silly!
I can think of thousands of things I want to write here. but every last one of them are
~~Not Safe For Work~~

Jan 9, 7:16 PM

Likeable characters because most of these type of shows lack in all other fields.

Jan 9, 7:25 PM
TOURNAMENT ARC!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Jan 9, 7:26 PM
It’s probably either stakes, or well written characters

Jan 9, 7:27 PM

Good Animation, Likeable Characters, High (But Coherent to the Show's setting) Stakes and a Consistant Power Sistem that doesn't rely too much on Asspulls.

To everyone who went against us, we will bare our fangs and retaliate. To everyone who lends their hands to us, we will grant our blessing to them.
-Rimuru Tempest

Characters, that's how you sell merch anyway

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

1048596beta said:
TOURNAMENT ARC!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Yes. A battle shonen must always have a tournament arc

Jan 9, 7:28 PM

Likeable or interesting characters (including villains), interesting world, cool powers and good fights.

A couple of them have good plot but they are pretty rare.

Comedy is tricky in this genre, sometimes is just annoying.

Jan 9, 7:33 PM

papsoshea said:
Likeable characters because most of these type of shows lack in all other fields.
visibily triggered How dare you...have your own opinion that I may not agree with, but I will respect anyway!?
In all seriousness, thanks for taking the time to comment on this thread, have a nice day! :)
I can think of thousands of things I want to write here. but every last one of them are
~~Not Safe For Work~~

Jan 9, 7:36 PM

No friendship speech. Not needing friends to help you achieve anything.
Towards 4 years of FGO.

Jan 9, 7:36 PM

An interesting enough larger story to keep the story moving forward long-term, but also an interesting enough setting and cast to make me appreciate spending individual moments with them.

Jan 9, 7:38 PM

most important thing is dick jokes. i mean who doesnt like a good joke about ones mara.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/JRhnzb my discord server for plebs

Jan 9, 8:04 PM
Consistant power system and badass villans that lies in morally grey area

Jan 9, 8:08 PM

The world the characters inhabit should have its own developments and events going on while the characters are occupied doing other stuff.

What also helps is a good mystery or other motivation for the characters to do stuff.
Interesting characters with their own issues and goals in life are nice, but not mandatory.
In some cases the world itself can cause the characters to develop goals or interests over time while they attempt to survive in said world.

A battle shounen should have fights (as the name implies) but they don't necessarily all have to be physical fights. Tactical or mental fights can get rather interesting also.

Jan 10, 6:40 AM

More battles, faster pacing, shorter (if any) speeches, less drama and the protagonists should win with their own abilities: no asspulls, nakama power, MC got lucky, the villain decided to let him go or deus ex machina.

Jan 10, 6:50 AM

I would say the characters are the most important thing, cuz people ll watch a lot of bs, if they are attached the the characters, But power consistency and stakes are very important aswell.
If the stakes are terribly written, then the combat ll be meaningless spectacle, because we already know the universe won't get destroyed, otherwise they couldn't continue the show for another 10 billion episodes. And power consistently is important, to make the progress a fighter makes feel rewarding, and also to raise the tension, if weaker characters randomly beat stronger characters, in a contest of strength, then the progression of each fighter ll feel like it doesn't matter.
Please click on my profile, because these views are the only thing that give my life meaning.

Jan 10, 6:53 AM

A lot of good things already said in that thread.
I guess I need to root for at least one character. :D

Jan 10, 6:54 AM

probably team work and with nice side characters

Jan 10, 7:03 AM

Smh. How are you guys missing the one and only thing that makes a good shounen anime? That thing is how many friends the protagonist makes along the way. Sure every shounen has battles the mc wins, The steady increase in power, and those intense moments the mc has to overcome.

These tropes aren't the main focus of the anime, these events show the viewer how important it is to build and maintain a healthy relationship with people who will help you improve and overcome problems.

Kuroshiro Ahegao #3542

Jan 10, 7:12 AM

Friendship is definitely a factor that has to be present in a shounen anime for sure

Jan 10, 7:12 AM
fanservice<3

hot girls and fanservice

the most important aspect of any anime

Jan 10, 7:21 AM
Mugiwara-sensei

Philosophical and Political issues. Like for example: Freedom vs Control. It was featured in Luffy vs Lucci, which why this battle is one of many fans’ favorites. Both Luffy and Lucci gave all what they had. In the end, freedom won over control, that is of course Luffy.

Jan 10, 7:26 AM

Interesting characters and exciting well animated fight scenes.
As long as you get those two things right you can write whatever bullshit story you want.

Jan 10, 7:32 AM
Phys. Therapist

I need to see a believable conflict in order to enjoy shounen.

I don't enjoy it if some random alien shows up to earth and is like "meeeeh I'm gonna shoot you because I'm powerful bwahaha"
You're gonna carry that weight.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shibakee

Jan 10, 7:33 AM

MC and other important characters need a goal, creative world building and power sytstem, quirky characters, build up, catchy soundtrack, solid animation, decent amount of comedy( don't mind when it's used as relief, sometimes even preferable), emotional flashbacks, training arc, should be at least 100 episodes long.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Jan 10, 7:43 AM

Characters and Background Music. If these two things are good then its a perfect battle shounen for me.

Best Couple ---> Senjougahara x Araragi

Jan 10, 7:57 AM

The writing is usually most important for all things.

Jan 10, 9:35 AM

In my opinion it needs a good mix between action and plot. In most shounen the plot is way too thin, which also makes me care less for the fights.

Jan 10, 9:48 AM

Good plot+ Great plot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)+good characters(not annoying and villains should be badass)+good action= good BS

Jan 10, 9:53 AM
美乃滋

consistent powerscaling I would say
I don't wanna see characters getting overpowered by someone who's significantly weaker than them via plot armor or special counters or whatever

Jan 10, 10:01 AM

The atmosphere, I would say.

I would like the stakes to be high.

The weight of the world on top of the protagonist's shoulders, the feeling of dread and anxiousness that comes with it all.

You don't paint an antagonist to have all this power and glory, and then having him be suddenly beaten by 'the power of friendship,' or the main character suddenly becomes OP, or some other petty reasons like that.

C'MON, WHERE'S THE THREAT?! GIMME SOME OF THAT DESPAIR.

Jan 10, 10:04 AM
to be Hunter x Hunter, it's the best way to be a good battle shonen

Jan 10, 10:12 AM
Most important thing in a battle shounen is good combat animation, can't keep me interested if the animation is lazy

Jan 10, 1:02 PM

Characters by far. Couldn't do Black Clover cause I witnessed some of the most shittest characters in my life. Comedy is important even if that isn't the focus. Emotional buildup, bonds, all that good stuff. Plot and battles are the main draw so I wouldn't really need to worry about that.

Jan 10, 1:08 PM
</overrated>

Characters but more importantly how grounded they are. I'm not saying they need to be realistic but they need to have flaws and personal goals, real reason for me to care about them, if I can care about the characters then I'll stick with the story even if it goes off the rails.

I'd also say the power system a little too. Not like I care about levels and shit but if the fights that everyone puts so much stake in has the escalation issue or wasn't thought about enough to make it work and be expanded on it gets a little annoying to be patch fixed later on.

Jan 10, 2:06 PM

Character DESIGN >> Voice actors >> Theme >> plot and romantic interest as long as it never resolves(probably best that they are Tsundere)

I think good character designs are a must for any good "battle shonen" as it is the main draw for people to get into it initially. Also a lot of people like to draw anime, and if they have good character designs and people like to draw it, people will watch it.

Not a lot of people talk about it, but it makes a HUGE difference in anime. A currently airing anime, isekai slime, has REALLY good character design, and I think it's the main appeal of the show. There are so many characters being constantly added to the show, and it would be nothing without it.

Battle shonen also tend to have a lot of characters, so having good character design is a must. Also, because you have so many characters, having many good voice actors to back them up is also a MUST.

All this other stuff is just.. extra or an after-thought in comparison .

Jan 10, 2:16 PM

Shounen, my one true love genre on anime/manga. In my case, I put importance on colorful/interesting cast (antagonists, side characters, etc), solid world building, up-beat OPs, atmospheric osts, creative fights, decent animation and bits of sakuga, pitch of comedy and emotional scenes, and the most important of them all, a likable protagonist that I'll be cheering from beginning to the end. :)

Happiness is a sleeping-talking doggo
and a cat sitting
on my desk
while I watch
on my laptop.

Jan 10, 2:52 PM

Considering Pokémon is the only one I've really ever tolerated, just be Pokémon lol.

Ways to improve the genre, for constructiveness' sake:

- Characters not smack talking while fighting
- Characters not talking to themselves to remind the (idiot) watcher what they already should know if they have higher IQ than a doorknob
- Less empty posturing and less derelict platitudes disguised as rousing speeches
- Other characters becoming injured/ dead does not count as character development for the MC or anyone else for that matter
- Characters dying or "leaving on a journey" or otherwise retreating from the screen before they have any development whatsoever makes me assume the writers should be hired to write on cereal boxes instead.

Jan 10, 4:59 PM
Braindeadtrash

fanservice and well-written characters

Jan 10, 6:59 PM

shign said:
to be Hunter x Hunter, it's the best way to be a good battle shonen
Imo HxH would've been better if Gon actually got strong enough to be considered powerful in-universe. I get that HxH isn't over yet, but I always liked Shounen where the MC starts off as the weakest, but becomes the very strongest by the end.
~~Not Safe For Work~~

Jan 11, 3:45 AM

Soundtrack, people often underestimate how important a cool battle theme can be in a Shounen series (I.E. Number One from Bleach). Then power ups after the first loss of a battle, the death of a comrade and so on.

Jan 11, 3:50 AM
the power of friendship since you know when that is triggered the heroes will win

Jan 11, 3:53 AM

Characters with personality and depth, but that applies to all animu, so for battle shounen I'd say it's probably a plot that have good progression and non-repetitive battle arcs with a clear end goal for the characters.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT

Jan 11, 4:11 AM

Regarding this genre, I think the plot is really important since it's the one responsible for interesting twists and fights. Though this genre should have all of those story elements.

Jan 11, 4:21 AM

hmm.. hard question. I'm really fond of these type of animes IF well made, on the other hand if not so well made they can be just straight freaking garbage (ao no exorcist)

What I enjoy so much about these shounen animes are the emotions, the characters and the action. I just love it when the stakes are high, characters are in danger, people getting angry or sad. Battle-shounen's often offer a wide cast of characters which can be nice if well done.

Shounen's in general made me enjoy anime the most so far in my anime career.
Modified by shayed__, Jan 11, 4:24 AM

4 hours ago
Nakama power is a really impressive thing when it's done well.