Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »
Jul 14, 2019 2:47 AM

May 2017
Horkus said:
HighSchoolTobi said:
(Int.25)Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

Please give me some recs for this challenge. Anything except the horror genre goes.

I can give you a few! [list]
[*] If you want a classic, try Sanctuary, I find it really engaging, and Ikegami has a super distinctive art style.

Thank you for the help.
Sanctuary seems pretty intriguing so I will go with that.

─=≡Σ(([ ⊐•̀⌂•́]⊐My Profile
=≡Σ(([ ⊐•̀⌂•́]⊐Sgn/Avt by : @Nate

Jul 14, 2019 6:38 AM

Apr 2013
yu6 said:
(Ad.07) Read a manga based on a real event or person.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12618 this one counts?

Sure! :) Seems Chopiny enough. :P
Jul 14, 2019 7:45 AM

Apr 2012
HeNrYTG50 said:
yu6 said:
(Ad.07) Read a manga based on a real event or person.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/12618 this one counts?

Sure! :) Seems Chopiny enough. :P

Thank you for the reply :)

Jul 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Apr 2013
LemonBaskets said:
For I.11 (Read a manga adapted from light novel, video game or original anime.) can I use this one?

Final answer is yes! :)
Jul 19, 2019 3:04 PM

Mar 2016
How's the challenge going for everyone? Any interesting manga you have come across lately?
Jul 19, 2019 4:46 PM

Mar 2013
Schlopsi said:
How's the challenge going for everyone? Any interesting manga you have come across lately?

I've been slacking horribly and have found mostly mediocre stuff and it's bumming me out. I did start a new WSJ series though called Beast Children and it's lit
Jul 19, 2019 6:31 PM

Mar 2016
AudioTsunami said:

I've been slacking horribly and have found mostly mediocre stuff and it's bumming me out. I did start a new WSJ series though called Beast Children and it's lit

Can relate. Haven't read much this year and now I need to put some effort into it. There wasn't much outstanding in my choices, either. Though, I can recommend
Lip Smoke for some steamy shoujo,
Yuureitou for fast paced historical mystery and
500-nen no Itonami, as well as Udagawachou de Mattete yo. for surprisingly sensitive shounen ai/bl.

Beast Children looks cool, indeed! Might give it a try when the story has a little bit more progressed on MangaPlus. Also I stumbled across Hisakata no Oto, which I'll read in the near future. The cover looks great, hopefully the story can keep up with it. Guess some seinen-stories is all that's needed for me right now, lol.
Jul 19, 2019 7:43 PM

Mar 2013
Sound of skies looks decent and fits a category I need. Lip Smoke sounds too steamy for me, lol.

I think most of what bummed me out is a read Boys on the Run and really wasn't a fan and it just really was a downer of a series. I've been keeping up with OUT too, which has been fun if oyu like yankee stuff.
Jul 20, 2019 7:25 AM

Jan 2015
Schlopsi said:

It's been fun! I completed my challenge already, but I had a great time checking out a bunch of new series!
Here's some of the highlights for stuff I didn't know I would like beforehand:

• I thought Zai x 10 was absolutely hilarious, the comedy was on point for me, and the series didn't go on for long enough for the jokes to start getting stale.
  • I knew nothing about Crimsons: Akai Koukaishatachi but it was a great time. It has everything you could want in a classic shounen. It's got drama, it's got comedy, it's just a complete package all around! Big recommend.
  • I think Suiiki was the series I scored the highest that I didn't already know I was going to love before I started. It's a really interesting little drama. I found the unfolding mystery of the town to be extremely engaging. It's not too long either, so easy for folks to check out if you still need to fill in a challenge somewhere.
  • I had a good time with Hanakaku. The art style is cute and I always like a good martial arts series. The villain is a little bit overdone, and I wish it were longer overall, but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable read.
  • I thought the original manga version of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso was substantially better than the anime, which I watched when it first aired. I feel like the manga does a better job of capturing the emotive power of the music, which I think is probably easier to do in visual form (since you don't have to actually play the music and make it sound as good as the characters think it is lol).
  • Nickelodeon is absolutely bizarre, but I think it's something that everyone should try. I didn't love it, but I don't think I've read anything else quite like it, and I'm glad I checked it out.
  • If you need a historical manga, check Hawkwood out! It's really cool and I think it deserves way more than the paltry 300 people who are reading it!
  • Lastly I want to shout out the manga version of Youjo Senki. I love how the original novel, manga, and anime are all such different takes on the story. It really lets you enjoy all three in their own ways. I think the art style in the manga is really well done, I love how it uses simpler, more cartoony looks in places to add comedy and lighten the mood. If you already like the anime or novel definitely check it out!

It's always a lot of fun doing the challenge every year, it's such a great way to check out a whole bunch of stuff I'd probably never get exposed to otherwise!

My Manga / Light Novel Collection: EN | FR | LN
Jul 20, 2019 9:10 AM

Mar 2017
Schlopsi said:

Maniac Road was really good. The last few chapters left me wanting more... but sadly the sequel hasn't been scanslated. QQ

Dengeki Daisy has become my point of comparison for "is this romance manga worth the time".

Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou was great. Some of the gags made me laugh so hard...

FLCL was interesting, but I think the anime has better pacing and comprehension.

Plus I read my first ever light novel.
Jul 20, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2013
Hi! I'm looking for some recs for "(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread."

Preferably finished manga and horror, thriller or mystery, but anything can work as long as it isn't ecchi/harem or similar.

Thanks in advance \o/
Jul 20, 2019 12:03 PM

Mar 2016
Ritshiro said:
Hi! I'm looking for some recs for "(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread."

Preferably finished manga and horror, thriller or mystery, but anything can work as long as it isn't ecchi/harem or similar.

Thanks in advance \o/

Maybe you'll like Vassalord, Yuureitou, Necromancer, LifE
This one doesn't fit your prefered genres directly, but might still be something of interest: Wolf Guy: Ookami no Monshou
---

@Horkus: Great to hear! This is exactly what the challenge aims at. :) Suiiki was read by a lot of people last year, too, and it picked my interest ever since. Zai x 10 sounds like a quick read, might have to save that one for the challenge? :D Hawkwood looks really good! I'll wait for the complete translation, the cover looks pretty straight forward. Have you read Wolfsmund? It might fit your taste.

@BrainpanSonata: Maniac Road sounds like fun. Does it end with a cliffhanger? The adaption for Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou is already on my ptw, might check that out before diving into the manga. Hmm. And is Dengeki Daisy that bad? I got hyped about it recently and need some romance in my life (this sounds so wrong, obviously). Still want to read it, though.
Jul 20, 2019 12:33 PM

Feb 2013
@Schlopsi Many thanks!! All of them sound interesting so I'll probably end up using the ones I didn't choose in other items :)
Jul 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Mar 2017
@Schlopsi Dengeki Daisy is that good, actually. I don't read many manga that are primarily romance and the ones I've done before for previous challenges were... varying levels of schmaltzy or downright strange. *has Barairo My Honey flashbacks* But Dengeki Daisy has an interesting plot and a well-grounded romance. Nary an eye was rolled while reading it, which is far more than I can say for other romcoms/romdramas.
Jul 20, 2019 2:31 PM

Apr 2013
BrainpanSonata said:
@Schlopsi Dengeki Daisy is that good, actually. I don't read many manga that are primarily romance and the ones I've done before for previous challenges were... varying levels of schmaltzy or downright strange. *has Barairo My Honey flashbacks* But Dengeki Daisy has an interesting plot and a well-grounded romance. Nary an eye was rolled while reading it, which is far more than I can say for other romcoms/romdramas.

As much as I like Dengeki Daisy, I think it has its eye-rolling moments, for sure. :P
Jul 28, 2019 3:09 PM

Dec 2016
I.25: Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

^ (cough) (cough) would prefer something with 10 or less volumes, but not essential.
Jul 28, 2019 5:00 PM

Mar 2013
ScarletCelestial said:
I.25: Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

^ (cough) (cough) would prefer something with 10 or less volumes, but not essential.

Isshuukan Friends.
Sayonara Sorcier
Jul 28, 2019 7:56 PM

Jul 2013
for this item:
(Ad.04) Read a doujin based on a series you've read.

does this manga qualify, even though it's not doujin type?

Jul 28, 2019 8:14 PM

Mar 2016
isahbellah said:
for this item:

Pretty sure it wouldn't since it's published in a propper magazine, but I could be wrong
Jul 28, 2019 8:19 PM

Jul 2013
Ironclad_Cobra said:
isahbellah said:
for this item:

Pretty sure it wouldn't since it's published in a propper magazine, but I could be wrong

in that case, i'll wait for someone else's answer just to be sure... lol
thanks anyway!

Jul 28, 2019 8:38 PM

Mar 2016
isahbellah said:
Ironclad_Cobra said:

in that case, i'll wait for someone else's answer just to be sure... lol
thanks anyway!

Ok so after going to double-check this one I'd say it's not a doujin by any standard that we'd normally go by. From what I can tell from the tone of it all the 'offical doujin' thing is basically just a big non-canon sticker.
Jul 28, 2019 8:42 PM

Jul 2013
@ironclad_cobra gotcha!!!! which is a real shame, 'cause i honestly thought it was a doujin :/
but at least i'm glad i got an answer before putting it on the list. thank you so much!!

Jul 28, 2019 8:49 PM

Mar 2016
@isahbellah
No worries. It's usually pretty easy to tell what's what when it comes to doujins 'cause they won't have anything listed under serialization for the most part, with the exception of the odd one or two that get picked up after the fact
Jul 29, 2019 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
List of online magazines?
Jul 29, 2019 8:12 AM
Jul 29, 2019 2:32 PM

Dec 2016
AudioTsunami said:
ScarletCelestial said:

Isshuukan Friends.
Sayonara Sorcier

Thanks for the recs, gonna read Sayonara Sorcier.
Jul 29, 2019 11:01 PM

Apr 2011
Anyone know a good manga, about 50-60 chapters long, that was originally published as a One-Shot. This one challenge is a nightmare. I've tried Komi-san and SWOT so far, but neither interested me enough to continue.... well, SWOT is just shit, actually.

Also, a manga revolving around mythology or folklore, preferably Japanese or Nordic mythology. Kinda hard to find this one by myself.
Jul 30, 2019 6:34 AM

Mar 2013
yhunata said:
Anyone know a good manga, about 50-60 chapters long, that was originally published as a One-Shot. This one challenge is a nightmare. I've tried Komi-san and SWOT so far, but neither interested me enough to continue.... well, SWOT is just shit, actually.

Also, a manga revolving around mythology or folklore, preferably Japanese or Nordic mythology. Kinda hard to find this one by myself.

Does the one that was originally based on a one-shot have to be 50-60 chapters? I don't think it says anything about that. The recommended one on the front page is Imawabi no Dakini but it's only 16 chapters.

For folklore there are a pile of options: Natsume's Book of Friends, Ran and The Grey World, Kekkaishi, Ushio to Tora, Spice and Wolf, Mononoke Soushi, Soul Eater, Uratarou, Vinland Saga, Record of Ragnarok.
Jul 30, 2019 7:30 AM

Mar 2013
isahbellah said:
@ironclad_cobra gotcha!!!! which is a real shame, 'cause i honestly thought it was a doujin :/
but at least i'm glad i got an answer before putting it on the list. thank you so much!!

just search by doujin dude. it's literally in the database.
Jul 30, 2019 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
AudioTsunami said:
isahbellah said:

just search by doujin dude. it's literally in the database.

the thing is, i had a hard time finding a doujin that interested me AND that i could find (because i found some but they weren't in the database)

and i already read kaguya-sama so... if it could fit the criteria, it'd be great lol but i decided to go for some other item

Jul 30, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2011
AudioTsunami said:
yhunata said:

Does the one that was originally based on a one-shot have to be 50-60 chapters? I don't think it says anything about that. The recommended one on the front page is Imawabi no Dakini but it's only 16 chapters.

For folklore there are a pile of options: Natsume's Book of Friends, Ran and The Grey World, Kekkaishi, Ushio to Tora, Spice and Wolf, Mononoke Soushi, Soul Eater, Uratarou, Vinland Saga, Record of Ragnarok.

Nah, that's just the length I prefer. Thanks for the recommendations.
Jul 30, 2019 4:52 PM

Apr 2013
isahbellah said:

the thing is, i had a hard time finding a doujin that interested me AND that i could find (because i found some but they weren't in the database)

You can just link any database they're in, and we'd check them out. :)
Aug 5, 2019 5:11 PM

Jul 2016
Hullo, a question and a request!

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
[[What exactly does this mean/want me to look at? Is it just any manga that people have read for the reading challenge overall?]]

(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.
[[ @MRC_mod Please and thank you ^^ ]]
Aug 5, 2019 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
Alipanda said:
Hullo, a question and a request!

(Ad.13) Read a manga that another participant has completed for this challenge.
[[What exactly does this mean/want me to look at? Is it just any manga that people have read for the reading challenge overall?]]

Exactly. You pick any participant and read anything that they have completed for their challenge. Just link to their post when you do so. :)

(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.
[[ @MRC_mod Please and thank you ^^ ]]

Here's your random manga rec: NASA. Hope you have fun!
Aug 5, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2016
Thank you very much! :D
Aug 9, 2019 6:50 AM
Jul 2018
(I.10) Read a manga that has been adapted to drama CD. (list some that aren't yaoi pls)

(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

ty in advance
Aug 9, 2019 8:29 AM

Mar 2017
Gythia said:
(I.10) Read a manga that has been adapted to drama CD. (list some that aren't yaoi pls)

(I.25) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.

ty in advance

I noticed Aria, Barakamon, and Denpa Kyoshi in your PTR. Those all have drama CDs.

As for a recc, Helck is a great fantasy story.

Aug 9, 2019 8:40 AM

Mar 2016
Gythia said:

-> Adapted to Drama CD

ty in advance

Annarasumanara
Chikan Otoko
Gozen 3-ji no Muhouchitai
Necromancer
Onani Master Kurosawa
Planetes
Solanin
Threads of Time
Yeonmo
Yuureitou
SchlopsiAug 9, 2019 12:19 PM
Aug 10, 2019 11:45 AM

Dec 2016
@MRC_mod

Random manga for Ad.19 please!
Aug 10, 2019 11:59 AM
Aug 12, 2019 3:07 AM

Jun 2016
Hey there,
(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member. Can you help? :) ty!

Aug 12, 2019 5:36 AM

Mar 2016
L0ro said:
Hey there,
(Ad.19) Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member. Can you help? :) ty!

You got Ayane Ojousama wa Sanoba Bocchi ni Araserareru, hope you enjoy it
Aug 13, 2019 4:45 AM

Jun 2016
Hey there again,
is A Small World valid for (Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.? If not can you tell me some mangas? :D
Thanks in advance!

Aug 13, 2019 6:13 AM

Mar 2016
L0ro said:
Hey there again,
is A Small World valid for (Ad.18)Read a manga with only one English letter in the title.? If not can you tell me some mangas? :D
Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately it doesn't count since there are way more english letters in the title than just one.
Here are some titles for you, to get an idea of it:
X-Tai Shinsho
X
Q
Initial D
Aug 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Nov 2014
tamochinnn said:
@MRC_modSection 4. Advanced
Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

Would prefer BL or Horror, less than 100 chapter(if possible).

It's truly randomly assigned so we can't decide that, but it seems you got really lucky this time!
Hope you have a good time :D Binetsu Kakumei
Aug 13, 2019 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
tamochinnn said:
Read a random manga assigned to you by a challenge staff member.

Would prefer BL or Horror, less than 100 chapter(if possible).

We don't have much of an influence of what you'll get, just saying. All we do is looking for completed stuff and taking care that it isn't *too* long, when hitting the surprise-button. ;)
Edit: fraideii was faster :D
Aug 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Mar 2016
@tamochinnn I don't think it is exactly stated, except for the random part. It's just for transparency that we try to explain how we come up with those titles ;)
Hope you have fun with your assigned manga! We are glad you've joined us for the challenge. :)
Aug 14, 2019 6:41 AM

Mar 2016

Please let the recs coming in. :)

As I'm doing another challenge simultaneously, I could need recs tagged with one of the following genres: Demons, Harem, Magic, Mecha, Parody, Space or Super Powers. They are not a must, but I'm not into those genres, so a little help from you would be super appreciated.

As always, I'm looking for something finished, length doesn't matter *that* much. "Unpopular titles" seem to be more interesting to me, too.
Thank youuu!
Aug 14, 2019 7:02 AM

Jul 2017
Schlopsi said:

As I'm doing another challenge simultaneously, I could need recs tagged with one of the following genres: Demons, Harem, Magic, Mecha, Parody, Space or Super Powers. They are not a must, but I'm not into those genres, so a little help from you would be super appreciated.

As always, I'm looking for something finished, length doesn't matter *that* much. "Unpopular titles" seem to be more interesting to me, too.
Thank youuu!

Here are a few. =)

Beelzebub (Demons)
Chimamire SUkeban Chainsaw
Densetsu no Yuusha no Konkatsu (Harem)
Inawa no Kuni no Alice
Makai no Ossan (Demons)
Pluto (Mecha)
Shigurui
Spirit Circle

Aug 14, 2019 6:04 PM

Mar 2016
Armandoriel said:
Here are a few. =)

Thanks (again)! Picked up Makai no Ossan, but can use some of the other recs later on as well. :)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
5 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.