Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 43 44 [45] 46 47 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2019 1:27 PM

Aug 2017
Hi, can I get a pre-inspection of my challenge post before I start with the Advanced section?

Here it is.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759336&show=50#msg56671396
Oct 12, 2019 1:45 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Gonaiorica said:
Hi, can I get a pre-inspection of my challenge post before I start with the Advanced section?

Here it is.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759336&show=50#msg56671396

Intermediate looks good.​​​​​​​​

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Oct 13, 2019 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
Hi - I want to join the challenge, but the instructions have my head a little muddled. Can someone take a look at this & tell me if I'm headed in the right direction for my initial post? Any advice is welcome. ALSO: I am confused about how to make a series I'm re-watching show up in my CW list? Or am I expected to find works that fit the categories that I have not already seen? If so, some of these categories will not even be possible for me to choose from.

Initial Post Number: ##

πŸ”Ά Challenge Start Date: JANUARY 01, 2019 (example: January 01, 2019)
πŸ”· Challenge Finish Date: DECEMBER 14, 2019 (example: December 01, 2019)
πŸ”– Link to your completed anime list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/shukujo?status=2
πŸ”– Link to your Anime+: https://anime.plus/shukujo/profile
✨ Completed Anime (at sign-up): 1,630
✨ Time Zone: UTC/-8:00 PST
πŸ”Ί Difficulty: Novice
πŸ”» Restriction:
πŸ’  Anime in Forum Set: ANIME_USED

πŸ’  Legend: Watching - Completed - Inactive/Plan to Watch

πŸ›‘οΈ Challenge list:
[spoiler="Challenge List"][list=1]

Novice — 31 total items | 0/20 required
πŸ›‘οΈ Finish Date: DATE

shukujoOct 13, 2019 4:22 PM
Oct 13, 2019 1:31 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
@shukujo

- I think you may have messed up the bb code (probably didn't copy completely)
- Out of the 31 listed items of novice, you only have to watch 20. Meaning you have to delete 11 items from that list.
- I recommend to leave "challenge finish date" empty, seeing how the finish date = when you turn it in.
- One of the anime in your forum set (avatar and signature) is Charlotte (Signature)
- You CANNOT do rewatches. Haruhi is invalid.
- Your initial post nr is the nr your post gets when you've posted it. (For example, this post is #2211)
Oct 13, 2019 1:45 PM

Jul 2014
@shukujo

I will add two things:
1. You should post it in the correct thread, here.
2. You can use any anime you've watched during 2019, not only the one you've started watching after posting the challenge form.
Oct 13, 2019 2:29 PM

Jan 2017
[re-post]

Hello Everyone!

We will be taking suggestions regarding the 2020 MAL Anime/Manga Challenge. The suggestions are for either new items for the challenge list or removal of existing ones, plus a few extra things. If you would like to make any, please complete this form.

This year, we also prepared a form to request feedback regarding the inspection process during the current year. If you would like to make any, please complete this form.

Thanks!

** Remember to check out our discord server.
Oct 15, 2019 5:13 PM

Mar 2014
Yuki-Chan276 said:
I'd rather you pick one without a hyphen.

Late reply but thanks for your answer!

Another question: For Ap.17 "Watch an anime scored 10 or 9 from the user's completed list, who posted directly above/below you", if the post above mine is a turn-in post, can I still use that user's list?

Also if anyone has recommendations for Ap.29 "Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread" hmu! (preferably one-cour series)

edit: Thanks a bunch!
LesLoueOct 15, 2019 6:24 PM
Oct 15, 2019 5:26 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
LesLoue said:
For Ap.17 "Watch an anime scored 10 or 9 from the user's completed list, who posted directly above/below you", if the post above mine is a turn-in post, can I still use that user's list?
That's fine.

Also if anyone has recommendations for Ap.29 "Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread" hmu! (preferably one-cour series)
Bakemonogatari
Yuru Campβ–³
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
Girls & Panzer
Houseki no Kuni
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Working!!

Oct 16, 2019 9:55 PM

Mar 2013
For the standalone OVA one, does Toki wa Meguru: Tokyo Station count? I found it on a standalone ova list. Its listed as an ONA though on MAL.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 16, 2019 10:07 PM

May 2017
zaverix said:
For the standalone OVA one, does Toki wa Meguru: Tokyo Station count? I found it on a standalone ova list. Its listed as an ONA though on MAL.

Unfortunately we go by what is on MAL, so we consider it an ONA.
Oct 16, 2019 10:09 PM

Mar 2013
Aeradae said:
zaverix said:

Unfortunately we go by what is on MAL, so we consider it an ONA.

Makes sense, thanks aera. Next time I have a question, I'll just ask you on discord lol.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 20, 2019 11:06 AM

Dec 2007
For Apprentice 19. - Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are human adults — state the human adults; they should be 18 years old or older (you should be able to find a source for this; doesn't need to be stated on MAL); excludes half-humans and characters that goes back to being younger while retaining their adult memories

Can I use a One Piece film, e.g. Stampede? Of the 9 main characters, I'm ignoring Frankie, Chopper and Brook. According to the remaining six main character's profiles they are all 18 or older by the current time (i.e. when this particular film would be) so while Luffy and Usopp start the series at 17 they would all be old enough in this entry. Also does it matter that some/all of them have superpowers or is the human part all that matters?
Oct 20, 2019 11:19 AM

Jan 2011
djmintlaw said:
For Apprentice 19. - Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are human adults — state the human adults; they should be 18 years old or older (you should be able to find a source for this; doesn't need to be stated on MAL); excludes half-humans and characters that goes back to being younger while retaining their adult memories

Can I use a One Piece film, e.g. Stampede? Of the 9 main characters, I'm ignoring Frankie, Chopper and Brook. According to the remaining six main character's profiles they are all 18 or older by the current time (i.e. when this particular film would be) so while Luffy and Usopp start the series at 17 they would all be old enough in this entry. Also does it matter that some/all of them have superpowers or is the human part all that matters?

Stampede would be valid. It's post-time skip so Luffy and Usopp are already 19, Sanji and Zoro 21, Nami is 20 and Robin 30.
It doesn't matter if they have powers or not, just that they're human ;)
(Chopper is not, Brook definitely no, and Franky's a cyborg so no as well, as you already excluded them ^^)

Oct 20, 2019 12:17 PM

Dec 2007
Anna_Hiwatari said:
djmintlaw said:

Stampede would be valid. It's post-time skip so Luffy and Usopp are already 19, Sanji and Zoro 21, Nami is 20 and Robin 30.
It doesn't matter if they have powers or not, just that they're human ;)
(Chopper is not, Brook definitely no, and Franky's a cyborg so no as well, as you already excluded them ^^)

Excellent, that works out great as it was a mystery film at a film festival I attended.

Thank you :)
Oct 20, 2019 3:54 PM

Jul 2014
Can you guys give me recommendations for (Ad.02) Watch an anime with 50 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less and (Ad.03) Watch an anime with 50 or more episodes that are each 16 minutes or more?
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

Oct 21, 2019 12:32 PM

Nov 2017
Need an anime for challenge by a challenge member.
More than 4 episodes please!
Oct 21, 2019 12:35 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
StrawberryMilkXD said:
Need an anime for challenge by a challenge member.
More than 4 episodes please!

To get a recommendation for that one you have to tag a specific staff member (go to the Awc mod profile and pick your member of choice) and include the entire item line to get a recommendation
(I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member
Oct 22, 2019 2:40 AM

Jul 2015
Hey, I have some questions for what is valid when fixing an invalid anime at turn in?

Swapping 2 animes, one is valid, the other is not, switching places makes both valid?

(Ap.07) Watch an anime by a studio with 3 to 30 anime in MAL's database: Honobono Log (valid)
(Ap.23) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and rated G or PG: Aggressive Retsuko: We Wish You a Metal Christmas (invalid)

Swapping these makes both valid

and putting a valid anime into a new (unused slot), then putting an invalid anime into the slot the previous anime had?

(Ap.1) Watch a stand-alone OVA: Nekopara (Invalid)
(Ap.33) Watch an anime that has a one-word title: Dororo (valid)
(Ap.28)Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged as Martial Arts, Military, Police and/or Samurai: (not used)

So moving Dororo to Ap.28 (Samurai) and Nekopara into Ap.36 (one-word title), and dropping Ap.1 (stand-alone OVA)

Making both valid ?

Lastly is about details of an anime changing after I watched it
(I.18) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged with 2 or less genres

Youjo Senki Movie, had 2 Genres: Magic, Military, when I watched, I copied the Genres into my spreadsheet to make sure they were correct, but did not take a screen shot, as I did not expect it to change
Now Youjo Senki Movie, has 3 Genres: Action, Magic, Military

As I have no screen shot, I assume that this is still invalid as I have no picture proof that it was valid when I watched it?

Thank you

Oct 22, 2019 3:05 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Alexia383 said:
Hey, I have some questions for what is valid when fixing an invalid anime at turn in?

Swapping 2 animes, one is valid, the other is not, switching places makes both valid?

(Ap.07) Watch an anime by a studio with 3 to 30 anime in MAL's database: Honobono Log (valid)
(Ap.23) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and rated G or PG: Aggressive Retsuko: We Wish You a Metal Christmas (invalid)

Swapping these makes both valid

and putting a valid anime into a new (unused slot), then putting an invalid anime into the slot the previous anime had?

(Ap.1) Watch a stand-alone OVA: Nekopara (Invalid)
(Ap.33) Watch an anime that has a one-word title: Dororo (valid)
(Ap.28)Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged as Martial Arts, Military, Police and/or Samurai: (not used)

So moving Dororo to Ap.28 (Samurai) and Nekopara into Ap.36 (one-word title), and dropping Ap.1 (stand-alone OVA)

Making both valid ?

Lastly is about details of an anime changing after I watched it
(I.18) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged with 2 or less genres

Youjo Senki Movie, had 2 Genres: Magic, Military, when I watched, I copied the Genres into my spreadsheet to make sure they were correct, but did not take a screen shot, as I did not expect it to change
Now Youjo Senki Movie, has 3 Genres: Action, Magic, Military

As I have no screen shot, I assume that this is still invalid as I have no picture proof that it was valid when I watched it?

Thank you

Unfortunately, you cannot switch any anime around as it will invalidate the switched ones. You can try to fit the invalid anime in an unused item though. However, you cannot fit valid anime in invalid items.

Yes, you would need proof for it to be valid.
Oct 22, 2019 3:29 AM

Jul 2015
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Unfortunately, you cannot switch any anime around as it will invalidate the switched ones. You can try to fit the invalid anime in an unused item though. However, you cannot fit valid anime in invalid items.

Damn, I had managed to re-sort so all items would be valid without having to watch a new ones to replace them. XP

Ah well, its just 4 anime I need to watch extra to replace the ones I can not put in an unused item

Thank you ^^

Oct 22, 2019 3:45 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Alexia383 said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Damn, I had managed to re-sort so all items would be valid without having to watch a new ones to replace them. XP

Ah well, its just 4 anime I need to watch extra to replace the ones I can not put in an unused item

Thank you ^^

Good luck there~ Do keep in mind to update any section and finish dates to their respective last dates.
Oct 22, 2019 4:29 AM

Jul 2015
Another question.

Ap. 06 Watch an anime by a studio you haven't seen anything from
I saw Nekopara on the 24th of April, at which time it was the only anime I had seen from Felix Film
then on the 25th of Apri (the next day) I watched Nekopara: Koneko no Hi no Yakusoku, which is from the same studio

Can I use Nekopara for Ap. 06, since at the time I had not seen anything from that studio, and use the dates in from the challenge to validate it?
Or would that be invalid?

Oct 22, 2019 6:27 AM

Aug 2015
Alexia383 said:
Another question.

Ap. 06 Watch an anime by a studio you haven't seen anything from
I saw Nekopara on the 24th of April, at which time it was the only anime I had seen from Felix Film
then on the 25th of Apri (the next day) I watched Nekopara: Koneko no Hi no Yakusoku, which is from the same studio

Can I use Nekopara for Ap. 06, since at the time I had not seen anything from that studio, and use the dates in from the challenge to validate it?
Or would that be invalid?

That's valid. I actually did something similar with Seitokai Yakuindomo (Studio: GoHands).
Oct 22, 2019 6:36 AM

Jul 2015
Puchkov said:

That's valid. I actually did something similar with Seitokai Yakuindomo (Studio: GoHands).

That's awesome, thank you ^^
(down to only one anime I can't place in an unused item, / that I have to watch something new for ^^ )

Oct 22, 2019 3:00 PM

Mar 2013
Hello everyone! Can anyone give me a recommendation for (E.05) Watch an anime adaptation with a score higher than its manga counterpart ?

Cus I just realized Mob psycho is a WEB manga :'(

And here I thought I was done with the challenge T-T

Now I am completely feeling uncertain about each and every anime I choose. I will defo have mistakes :'(
Oct 22, 2019 4:04 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
ninetailedfoxie said:
Hello everyone! Can anyone give me a recommendation for (E.05) Watch an anime adaptation with a score higher than its manga counterpart ?

Now I am completely feeling uncertain about each and every anime I choose. I will defo have mistakes :'(

https://myanimelist.net/anime/22135/Ping_Pong_the_Animation (Anime score: 8.62 || Manga score: 8.42 )
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28171/Shokugeki_no_Souma (Anime score: 8.47 || Manga score: 8.29 )

Amongst the top 200 anime these were the only two I couldn't find on your list

Oct 22, 2019 4:13 PM

Mar 2013
Ranacchi said:
ninetailedfoxie said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/22135/Ping_Pong_the_Animation (Anime score: 8.62 || Manga score: 8.42 )
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28171/Shokugeki_no_Souma (Anime score: 8.47 || Manga score: 8.29 )

Thank you very very much for helping! :)
Oct 22, 2019 4:20 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
ninetailedfoxie said:
Ranacchi said:

Thank you very very much for helping! :)

No problemo, always a pleasure :P
plus I learned something quite useful/interesting by looking this up
Oct 22, 2019 4:26 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
ninetailedfoxie said:

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (TV)
Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!
High Score Girl
Joshiraku
Prison School
Sabage-bu!

Don't forget to take screenshots for this particular challenge item (including your username), especially if the scores are close together like High Score Girl.

Oct 22, 2019 4:34 PM

Mar 2013
dierubikdie said:
ninetailedfoxie said:

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (TV)
Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!
High Score Girl
Joshiraku
Prison School
Sabage-bu!

Don't forget to take screenshots for this particular challenge item (including your username), especially if the scores are close together like High Score Girl.

Thank you for help! I take screenshots always just to be safe :D thank you once more :)
Oct 23, 2019 3:34 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Could I get a rec for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member ?

Thanks!
Oct 23, 2019 3:39 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
Ranacchi said:
Could I get a rec for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member ?

Thanks!

Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Usagi Drop
Sakamichi no Apollon
Samurai Flamenco
Megalo Box
Oct 23, 2019 3:50 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017

Thanks for the rec!
I'll go with Gunbuster, it looks the most fun of the bunch

Oct 23, 2019 5:30 PM

Nov 2008
Hi! Is Akatsuki no Yona ok for (Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are adults ?
Oct 23, 2019 6:08 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Lady-Murder said:
Hi! Is Akatsuki no Yona ok for (Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are adults ?

They have to be human adults, so that anime won't be valid.

Oct 25, 2019 4:55 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
Hi
(Ap.12) Watch an anime that began airing between 2000 and 2009
Does that include years 2000 and 2009? Or is it 2001-2008?
Oct 25, 2019 6:30 AM

Aug 2015
Kurosawa-san said:
Hi
(Ap.12) Watch an anime that began airing between 2000 and 2009
Does that include years 2000 and 2009? Or is it 2001-2008?

Anything that started airing during 2000 until 2009. For instance, an Anime that started airing on 2000 (and finished on 2011) would be valid.
Oct 27, 2019 11:10 AM

Jul 2016
(Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Can I get a recommendation please?
Oct 27, 2019 5:11 PM

Dec 2017
Hello, can any1 give me some recommendations for:

(Ad.17) Watch an anime with an honorific in the title

and/or

(Ad.18) Watch an anime with the word "Season" in the title

CevoyOct 28, 2019 9:35 AM
Oct 27, 2019 5:50 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Cevoy said:
Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation
Oshiete! Galko-chan

Gin no Saji 2nd Season (after Gin no Saji)
Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season (after Kimi ni Todoke)
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season (after Mushishi and Mushishi Zoku Shou)
Spaceβ˜†Dandy 2nd Season (after Spaceβ˜†Dandy)
Yama no Susume: Second Season (after Yama no Susume)
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (you've already seen Season 2)

It's hard to recommend most of these because they're sequels, but there you go. Might be a prequel in there you can fit into one of the other challenge items.

Oct 28, 2019 3:07 AM

Aug 2012
I need help clarifying this requirement:

- Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700

By lower than 700, do they mean I can watch an anime that's, lets say, #331 in popularity? Or do they mean an anime with a score such as #721?
Oct 28, 2019 3:16 AM

Apr 2010
Liaeves said:
By lower than 700, do they mean I can watch an anime that's, lets say, #331 in popularity? Or do they mean an anime with a score such as #721?

It must be less popular than #700 ; as explicited in the list of challenge items with explanations :
Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700 — state the popularity it had when you finished; placed in popularity as #701, #702, #703 and so on
Oct 28, 2019 3:19 AM

Aug 2012
Jhiday said:
Liaeves said:

It must be less popular than #700 ; as explicited in the list of challenge items with explanations :
Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700 — state the popularity it had when you finished; placed in popularity as #701, #702, #703 and so on

Aaahh, I didn't scroll down enough. I just saw FAQ link and just came on here.

Thank you.
Oct 28, 2019 9:34 AM

Dec 2017
dierubikdie said:
Cevoy said:
Demi-chan wa Kataritai
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation
Oshiete! Galko-chan

Gin no Saji 2nd Season (after Gin no Saji)
Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season (after Kimi ni Todoke)
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season (after Mushishi and Mushishi Zoku Shou)
Spaceβ˜†Dandy 2nd Season (after Spaceβ˜†Dandy)
Yama no Susume: Second Season (after Yama no Susume)
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (you've already seen Season 2)

It's hard to recommend most of these because they're sequels, but there you go. Might be a prequel in there you can fit into one of the other challenge items.

Thanks guys for the all the recommendations! :)
Oct 29, 2019 12:24 PM

Mar 2014
I have Enen no Shouboutai on my challenge list, but I just realized that because it unexpectedly went on break for two weeks, the anime won't end until January 3rd (assuming there won't be any more breaks). Can this still be counted as a valid entry?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 43 44 [45] 46 47 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by ANormalUser »»
54 seconds ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 5 hours ago

13 by Nemo_Niemand »»
1 minute ago

» MAL Frieren's fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 2 minutes ago

0 by epsilono »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 10 hours ago

19 by mo_lave »»
2 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 10 hours ago

26 by Horizon248 »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.