Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2019 10:31 AM

Dec 2018
hi, so I don't want to watch One Punch Man, Naruto and Attack on Titan. It has occurred to me that there is no way of blacklisting them, the closest thing I can do to them is to put them to Dropped and don't give them any score, but they still appear in recommendations and shared pages.
Jan 7, 2019 12:33 PM

Sep 2015
This is another reincarnation of the Anime-Planet style 'Won't Watch' option. I support it, but it was flat out turned down by the staff with the weak excuse, that they don't see reason to add a list of what you won't watch.

But who gives a damn about automated site recommendations anyways. It's really crude and only goes by popularity and matching genre tags. It's useless so just remove it from your panel.
Jan 8, 2019 7:03 AM

Jan 2019
h3oCharles said:
hi, so I don't want to watch One Punch Man, Naruto and Attack on Titan. It has occurred to me that there is no way of blacklisting them, the closest thing I can do to them is to put them to Dropped and don't give them any score, but they still appear in recommendations and shared pages.

Heldengeist said:
This is another reincarnation of the Anime-Planet style 'Won't Watch' option. I support it, but it was flat out turned down by the staff with the weak excuse, that they don't see reason to add a list of what you won't watch.

But who gives a damn about automated site recommendations anyways. It's really crude and only goes by popularity and matching genre tags. It's useless so just remove it from your panel.

I understand your point and I have the same opinion , it's one of the thing MAL could have the option to "blacklist" anime and manga.
But yes you should ignore that like Heldengeist said.
Jan 9, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2017
I was thinking this recently, I agree with you, and it's not as if it would make the site worse, it will only improve for those who would like this feature
Jan 22, 2019 3:17 AM

Feb 2017
Came on here just to make this topic but found this instead, but honestly I agree. It'd be a great idea to make the recommendations tab better, simply because how it is currently sucks. I think they could take some inspiration from Steam's "Discovery Queue" with just having easy ways to add something to your list, a button for ignoring it, and so on. Most people don't use the feature because it is terrible, and that can easily be changed if staff puts in a little more effort.
Jan 22, 2019 11:01 AM

Dec 2016
does anyone even look at the generic anime recommendations? not worth the time/effort needed to set up the feature.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 23, 2019 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
Calling it blacklisting doesn't sound right but yes there should be a way to reject individual recommendations so they stop coming up.
Jan 24, 2019 6:19 AM

Jun 2009
How about you just don't watch them and don't put them on your list?

Problem solved.
Jan 24, 2019 7:47 AM

Oct 2017
Tyestor said:

Problem solved.

It doesn't solve anything at all, since OP's problem is with how the recommendations work, not those specific shows.
Jan 24, 2019 7:57 AM

Jun 2009
KatsutoSaki said:
Tyestor said:

Problem solved.

It doesn't solve anything at all, since OP's problem is with how the recommendations work, not those specific shows.

Skip past those recommendations?

Or, better yet, realise that those shows are recommended for a reason. Don't be so prejudiced against something you haven't even seen because you've been hearing random shit about them that probably isn't even correct.

This suggestion is just pointless work for the dev team, and they're lazy enough as it is.
Jan 24, 2019 8:12 AM

Oct 2017
Tyestor said:

Then there's no point to having such facility, and it'd be much better if it gets removed. Simply saying skip past those recommendations isn't gonna solve anything. Either don't have such thing, or make it work properly.

Tyestor said:
Or, better yet, realise that those shows are recommended for a reason. Don't be so prejudiced against something you haven't even seen because you've been hearing random shit about them that probably isn't even correct.

You're not making any sense here...

Tyestor said:
This suggestion is just pointless work for the dev team, and they're lazy enough as it is.

And who gets to decide if it's pointless or not? Since according to me it isn't.
Jan 25, 2019 4:19 PM

Feb 2017
Tyestor said:

That's exactly what we're asking for a feature of.
Tyestor said:

The simple matter of fact is that wanting a feature to skip recommendations and/or suggestions on a site like this doesn't come down to such childish reasoning, there's countless more reasons as to why you'd want an option to skip a series in suggestions and/or recommendations.

If your reason for skipping it is hearing bad about it from others and having prejudice, then you probably already know about it and you don't even need to see it in your recommendations/suggestions.

Anyways, a huge reason is the fact that they only give you a small amount of suggestions and recommendations, and even with it updating every so often you still get the same stuff, over and over.

Many sites that have recommendation/suggestion features have this sort of thing. IMDb, Steam, and I'm certain other similar sites. It's simply a handy and necessary addition if you want your suggestions/recommendations feature to be any good.
Tyestor said:

Quality of life improvements on websites are always a must, and even if the dev team doesn't typically implement suggestions, there's no real reason to shoot down ideas.

Whether or not something is pointless, good, or anything else is completely subjective. As it stands, pointless is harmless. Even if you don't use a feature and think it's shit, that's fine, but it being shit is the reason why we suggest it get improved in the first place. If nobody uses it because it's shit, it would never hurt to change it into something good.
Jan 25, 2019 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
Tyestor said:
KatsutoSaki said:

If I dropped Attack on Titan season 1, then why on earth would it recommend season 2? I'm not going to like the second season if I didn't like the first season, so what reason could it have for recommending it to me?
Roses are red, violets are blue
The words ahead are false
The words behind are true
Jan 25, 2019 10:04 PM

Jun 2009
Weeaboo-Supreme said:
Tyestor said:

You don't need a feature for that lol. Use your eyes and brain and skip past the shows you have already seen or don't want to watch.

TL;DR the rest of your response.

DarkTyDe said:
Tyestor said:

If I dropped Attack on Titan season 1, then why on earth would it recommend season 2? I'm not going to like the second season if I didn't like the first season, so what reason could it have for recommending it to me?

Your issue is with the shitty recommendation algorithm, which is never going to be improved, because the devs are simultaneously lazy and have bigger fish to fry (for example, the 133 pages of suggestions, most of which have never been implemented).
loghneckbeardJan 25, 2019 10:10 PM
Jan 26, 2019 5:20 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
We seriously need this. Sick of repetitive recommendations of things I know I'll hate.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 26, 2019 6:53 AM

Feb 2017
Tyestor said:
Weeaboo-Supreme said:

You don't need a feature for that lol. Use your eyes and brain and skip past the shows you have already seen or don't want to watch.

If you actually read any of my response past that you'd see why people want it, but to put it simply: Every site with the feature has it because it makes it a good feature that functions, and on top of that, MAL has limited suggestions. "Just skip past the shows" isn't an option when the tab only has maybe a dozen or so slots all filled with stuff that you're most likely not interested in. Because of how limited it is you don't actually discover anything, at all. It's broken and useless and should improve.
Jan 26, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2018
glad that there's demand for it

DarkTyDe said:
That is EXACTLY my reasoning right here.

Tyestor said:
Weeaboo-Supreme said:
What if I genuinely have no idea what to watch and I don't have friends?
Jan 26, 2019 1:25 PM

Feb 2017
h3oCharles said:
What if I genuinely have no idea what to watch and I don't have friends?

This by now is off topic of the suggestion at this point but if you would like recommendations or suggestions feel free to message me on here, twitter, or discord. I can more than certainly find something you'll enjoy.
Jan 26, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2018
Weeaboo-Supreme said:
This by now is off topic of the suggestion at this point but if you would like recommendations or suggestions feel free to message me on here, twitter, or discord. I can more than certainly find something you'll enjoy.

Ok, maybe I didn't phrase myself correctly - What if my friends ran out of recommendations and I really ran out of things to watch? One of the things I could do now is to look at the MAL's recommendations
Feb 7, 2019 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
Would really like this feature. There are so many anime that I know I'll never ever watch but they still keep poping up and getting in the way when I search for anime to watch and its really annoying.
Feb 7, 2019 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
h3oCharles said:
Ok, maybe I didn't phrase myself correctly - What if my friends ran out of recommendations and I really ran out of things to watch? One of the things I could do now is to look at the MAL's recommendations

I agree with this. Right now the recommendation feature on MAL feels useless. At least this idea would make it a far more valuable system of finding new shows.

I understand the view of just 'don't use the feature', but maybe the feature actually being useful instead is too much of a utopian view.
Feb 7, 2019 7:33 AM
Dec 2014
Can we also add an option that hides all animes/mangas that are on our list from the advanced search.
Feb 8, 2019 8:02 PM

Feb 2017
Major_Norman said:
Can we also add an option that hides all animes/mangas that are on our list from the advanced search.

That feature would also be super useful for finding new shows as well.
Feb 9, 2019 2:40 PM
Dec 2014
h3oCharles said:

I dropped animes I don't plan to watch.

MAL should just leave all animes/mangas that are on your list out of recommendations.

look at my suggestion

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1765641&show=0#post1
Feb 20, 2019 11:35 PM

Jan 2018
I also support the idea. It can't be that difficult to add this feature, right? I like the idea of having a "Won't Watch" list for the sake of avoiding recommendations from friends/others of shows I have no interest in, without having to explain to them directly why I don't want to watch it lol

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
50 minutes ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.