Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Dororo Episode 1 Discussion

Jan 13, 6:00 AM

As a REALLY big fan of the original, i was hyped.
And then i watched it and was severely disappointed.
The OP song is pure garbage (but the visuals ARE very good, yes).
They made the father a bit less of a dick.
Only 12 demons instead of 48, i guess just because they had to fit it all in one seasons.
Some random midwife that send Hyakki down the river and dies instead of the father, plus some random blind monk.
TIME SKIP 16 YEARS LATER IS A COMPLETE JOKE, first few chapters where we learn about the doctor and Hyakki's childhood and his motive to go travel and kill demons is completely skipped, i can only hope that it will be revealed later on.

I now expect nothing from the new adaptation, and i was really hyped.
Not even because i am a big fan, but because Dororo was never finished, so i watch every adaptation for the ending, what will they do now, what they will come up with.
I guess i'll have to suffer through a mediocre, disappointing adaptation for the sake of the ending.
But thou must.

Jan 13, 7:35 AM

Tentacle_Monster said:
Only 12 demons instead of 48, i guess just because they had to fit it all in one seasons.
Some random midwife that send Hyakki down the river and dies instead of the father, plus some random blind monk.
TIME SKIP 16 YEARS LATER IS A COMPLETE JOKE, first few chapters where we learn about the doctor and Hyakki's childhood and his motive to go travel and kill demons is completely skipped, i can only hope that it will be revealed later on.

Not even because i am a big fan, but because Dororo was never finished, so i watch every adaptation for the ending, what will they do now, what they will come up with.
I guess i'll have to suffer through a mediocre, disappointing adaptation for the sake of the ending.
But thou must.

The series is probably 2-cours, at least more than 15 episodes.
Tons of people like the op, dont really see a problem.
We are 100% gonna learn about hyakki's relationships, including his childhood ones.
Don't see a problem with the guy in the hall of hell, honestly the rest of what you said were minor nitpicks at best.
Modified by ThereArentNames, Jan 13, 7:39 AM

Jan 13, 8:53 AM

All I want to say is that it was a lot better than I thought it would be.
BackstageMage said:
characters breath
Oh my god theyre in love
code said:
big brain MALers: 1
god: 0
I'm sure god feels stupid.

Jan 13, 10:48 AM

So.. No episode today?

Jan 13, 11:52 AM

Tekakurika said:
So.. No episode today?

Will be. It's airing on Monday evenings (22:30) in Japan +timezone difference, you count it. ;)

Jan 13, 12:15 PM

emerald_hill said:
Tekakurika said:
So.. No episode today?

Will be. It's airing on Monday evenings (22:30) in Japan +timezone difference, you count it. ;)

Oh... cuz in horriblesubs they show that its today lel

Jan 13, 4:20 PM

The atmosphere is amazing.

Jan 13, 6:48 PM
Wise Cat

Tentacle_Monster said:

But thou must.

I don't think they will skip his past. They might thought that they are better showing Dororo in this episode too and let them meet each other.
If they had shown his past, they wouldn't have had time to show Dororo or it would have been rushed. It's smarter to show your title character in the first episode (I mean, Dororo is the title character, you should see that kid) and maybe make one or more flashbacks about your other main character's past, imo.
Modified by Maneki-Mew, Jan 13, 6:52 PM

Jan 13, 9:05 PM

Great first episode. I knew nothing about this going in other than that it was adapted from a 60's manga and I really enjoyed it. The song in the OP was really good with the mix of modern instruments and classic Japanese ones, but the lyrics and vocals seemed out of place. Regardless, I think they did a great job adapting and modernizing this, and I'm very interested to see where it goes.
I read some of the manga after watching to see how different it is, and I thought the changes were well done, especially how they made Hyakkimaru silent. In the manga he seemed way too animated for having fake eyes and face, but I hope they'll give him a voice eventually. Maybe I'm just not used to manga from that time, but it didn't really hook me like the anime did, so I'll probably just wait on that to get the rest of the story.
Also I hope they explore his past soon. I could see why they didn't include it in episode 1 though, they wanted to show off Hyakkimaru and his skills to hook people, so maybe we'll get some past flashbacks in the next few episodes.

Jan 14, 1:26 AM
Tentacle_Monster said:

But thou must.

Tell me where the new dororo adaptation hurt you. I sure hope they didnt forcefully stuck a giant vibrator into your ass, because thats what it looks like from your reaction.

This is great, you can see a lot of work and care was put into it, go watch berkser 2017 if you want to see someone actualy fucking up hard the source material.

Jan 14, 3:03 AM

Rude.
I don't see a lot of work and care though, at least not yet.
Dororo, as a manga, means a lot to me, so i will be as picky as possible, because you don't just hype a person up and then let him down the cliff.
You enjoyed it, i didn't, whatever.

Jan 14, 4:02 AM
Tentacle_Monster said:

Rude.
Dororo, as a manga, means a lot to me, so i will be as picky as possible, because you don't just hype a person up and then let him down the cliff.
This new adaptation is already better than the manga.

Jan 14, 5:01 AM

I have been looking forward to this and the first episode did not disappoint. I hope it will continue to be good.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jan 14, 5:33 AM
This is not an insult but Dororo is not Tezuka's masterpiece at least.
It is one of a few Tezuka's manga I actually bought a physical copy.
I like it pretty much but, from a historical viewpoint, it couldn't achieve popularity and a proper conclusion.
It was shutdown in Shonen Sunday and Tezuka himself rebooted it in Boken-Oh with a different premise.
It is not "you can't change something already perfect" type of thing. Tezuka desperately tried to catch up with new manga stars in those days. Failed but charming attempt. His new style was completed in the later works like Ayako or Kirihito Sanka after his darkest age in the early 70s.
Changing and deleting some aspects are quite understandable considering all those background. The storytelling style of the original manga is inevitably outdated anyway.

Jan 14, 3:29 PM
Wise Cat

Tentacle_Monster said:

Rude.

I think they just took in consideration that the way of storytelling changed over the last decades and tbh, if I see the old character designs, I think the new ones look so much better too.

What else is different?
Well, I understand it very well, if you love a manga and they change things.

Now I'm getting curious about that guy. I just heard of Jungle Taitai but didn't see it and he's also listed as the original creator of Metropolis and well, loved that movie.

Jan 14, 4:40 PM
Bone Idle Perv

Maneki-Mew said:
Now I'm getting curious about that guy. I just heard of Jungle Taitai but didn't see it and he's also listed as the original creator of Metropolis and well, loved that movie.

Tezuka? He's pretty much the guy who kicked off manga in japan.
Not that big of a fan of his stuff tbh, but we wouldn't have much of the manga we do today without him.

Jan 14, 4:47 PM
Wise Cat

Sangaz said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Tezuka? He's pretty much the guy who kicked off manga in japan.
Not that big of a fan of his stuff tbh, but we wouldn't have much of the manga we do today without him.

Well, I knew that or heard it at some point, but then I didn't care about him anymore until now.

Yesterday, 12:07 PM
Awesome first episode, didn't expect to enjoy did that much, but it surpassed my espectations!

Figth was awesome to watch!

Curious to see what will happen next.

Opening was awesome in my eyes, Ending its fine too!

Yesterday, 2:52 PM
Colors, style, and OP reminds of Angolomois without filters.
Boogiemonster bridge fight amazingly choreographed & animated. Good moody sounds. The rest were ok.
16 years!!? wut huge timeskip

Yesterday, 5:19 PM

OP and ED are very good. The animation is decent, but I really like the style of the scenarios where the story unfolds. Being an original work of Tezuka, I should read the manga in conjunction with the anime.

No matter where you go, everybody's connected - Iwakura Lain

5 hours ago

Amazing first episode. I watched it four times already lol I'll continue rewatching it and every succeeding episode because it's already an epic start. I love the OP and the characters. It is a combination of Tezuka Osamu's style with a modern twist that blends everything so well.

It's already one of my favorites for this season based on the first episode alone. I think it's a dark horse considering it's being aired along with Mob Psycho 100, Yakusoku no Neverland and Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari which are all quite popular.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.

Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]