Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Dororo Episode 1 Discussion


Jan 8, 9:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 135
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he
 
Jan 8, 9:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 665
satsatsaturnalia said:
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he


Dororo is a guy

30charactercount


Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!



 
Jan 8, 10:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 454
not particularly promising but I'll keep watching for now
 
Jan 9, 12:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 842
Wow Mappa again, nice op for now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jan 9, 12:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6772
I tell you!..this is gonna be one badass show!
bow down to MAPPA!
5/5.
 
Jan 9, 12:51 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 241
It's been said by so many already, but the OP just doesn't sound right to me.



Other than that I think this was a good first episode. Good enough to get us curious, and looks well directed, choreography was stellar with Hyakkimaru and slashing across that bridge. I've never experienced Dororo at all till now, so people saying it's not as faithful of an adaptation as they'd like doesn't affect me much.
 
Jan 9, 1:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 599
This has a very atmospheric feel, everything from the background visuals and the historical ambience. Not a fan of the OP either, a traditional OP would have matched perfectly, love the ED though, amazarashi always put out ear candy.
But promising, I'm hoping this to be two-cour?
Writer at MAL Rewrite
 
Jan 9, 1:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 76
I really loved the first episode; possible AOTS. I actually am enjoying MAPPA’s anime adapatation more than the manga.
 
Jan 9, 2:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 23
What a great ED i've replayed it 3-4 times in a row.
I'm not such a fan of Samurai related stuff, but this looks like somthing i will enjoy.
 
Jan 9, 3:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 186
The opening was awful, ugh...
 
Jan 9, 3:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 106
Golden_Scarlett said:
reeeeee gtfo out of my series normies

NO YOU GET OUT OF MY SERIES NORMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Jan 9, 3:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Where can I watch it? I didn't find on crunchyroll
 
Jan 9, 5:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 232
satsatsaturnalia said:
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he


 
Jan 9, 5:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 58
Holy shit this was good. I don't know why but the way Dororo acts like an absolute savage just reminded me of Samurai Champloo.
 
Jan 9, 5:50 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 10195
@Rei366

Drawings and animation were fine, but I thought the characters don't blend in well with the backrounds.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

 
Jan 9, 6:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 80
Rei366 said:
For a "modern" reimagining, this was incredibly close to the first TV adaptation!
The redesign of Dororo is quite good in evoking his past form. Hyakkimaru on the other hand..

Looks like they reduced the number of body parts to fit a half-length show. A full length one would have been more fitting to celebrate the God of Manga...

Also, this dog... I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be picked up by this adaptation. Was it even in the manga??

Something I found weird was the blind monk in the past, what was that? Was it in the book? o_O

5/5 @CodeBlazeFate I know you didn't have it on your radar so may I point it out for you?


@Birdsanddrugs To be fair, the first adaptations (colour pilot, B&W TV series) had quite the action too.

@FMMatron Kannst du bitte mir Animation Probleme Beispiele geben? OK.ru hat immer wieder die Auflosung auf die 3DS geändert und deswegen hatte ich oft schw.Bildschirme, deshalb habe ich sie vielleicht verpasst.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Where did you get the actor's age?



I looked the voice actress of Dororo here on MAL and checked on Google, i was surprised


Respect for the Rei image
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
 
Jan 9, 6:45 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 533
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
 
Jan 9, 7:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Very good OP song and animation.
 
Jan 9, 7:45 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 220
nightcrawlercyp said:
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.
 
Jan 9, 8:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 106
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.

Well, personally I think that the original is far more menacing and intimidating making him a more compelling villain. I, however, think that the changes are all fine and don't particularly hinder the story.
 
Jan 9, 8:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5143
@nightcrawlercyp Giving him relatively "redeeming" facts was the only thing that did not sit well with me. He wasn't eveil in the original story, he was just totally driven by his ambition and giving up his son was a pretty good manifestation of it.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Oh, right ! o_O
(thanks for the picture but the drawing is not from me, someone made me this photoshop picture thirteen years ago and since then I never found the original art she used. XD)
 
Jan 9, 9:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Some people are complaining about the op but I absolutely love it ! Also, I'm not sure if I'm just gonna watch the anime or if I should the manga.. or maybe a previous adaptation of it ?
Anyway, it was a pretty damn cool first episode.
 
Jan 9, 10:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
I just wanna say: Great OP&EP
 
Jan 9, 11:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 252
I do not know the original, but the beginning is more than promising, complicated character to manage but with great potential, my favorite setting, Japanese middle age, not bad realization.
Nënshkrimi u hoq. Ju lutem ndiqni rregullat e nënshkrimit, siç përcaktohet në Udhëzimet për Site & Forum.
 
Jan 9, 12:01 PM
Wise Cat

Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 2990
I'm so curious where this will going.
Aweaome setting and background story and the style is very good, as expected from Mappa. I really like it.

So we learned about the premise and were introduced to the characters and I really like them.
I love these kind of period and settings in general and also demon-stories, well so hopefully this seems to be in a more darkish fantasy direction. So far I also like the designs of the demons.

Dororo is such a cute kid. What's wrong with you guys, beating up a kid for stealing? It's pretty accurate for the time period maybe, but oh jeez. :(

The fight scene was pretty good and this puppet-like appearance looks so good.

Really great OP and ED too.
 
Jan 9, 12:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 46
It showed us the MC's, which were interesting to say the least. The fighting was really good. Looking forward to next week!
HENTAI
IS
ART
 
Jan 9, 12:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 43
I only know about Dororo when I read about Ps2 game review long time ago. It catch my interest about how he need to defeat all the demon in order the get back all his body part. I never had chance to play it at that time. I'm glad it got animated with new look and style.
 
Jan 9, 12:12 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 11
Priestess_Alva said:
Lusuki said:
And more excited to see the ending song from Amazarashi which i love it! <3

The ending is beautiful. Amazarashi never disappoints. <3


I completely agree! His voice is so beautiful and takes a song to a whole other level! And this anime looks so promising I feel in love after the first episode alone.
 
Jan 9, 12:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 5819
BackstageMage said:
satsatsaturnalia said:
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he


Dororo is a guy

30charactercount

I honestly feel like Dororo might be a girl in this version.
His voice and eyes are very feminine

 
Jan 9, 12:44 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 2311
Don't fuck with demons
 
Jan 9, 2:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 617
I loved everything about this episode. Looks like the show I will love.

So lord's first son managed to get his face from the demons at the end of the episode. Looks like it will be an interesting journey.
 
Jan 9, 3:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 337
This episode seemed somewhat rushed, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The OP and ED are great.
 
Jan 9, 9:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 806
The fight scene between Hyakkimaru and Deiki was so cool, really well done. Already like Dororo, easiest way to make me like character is to portray them being nice to dogs. :P

Very nice episode overall, can't wait for more. Really glad that it's gonna have more than 12 episodes.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわる☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
     BE KAWAII     
 
Jan 9, 9:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 28
Amazing start to the series.

Non-manga reader here, but all seemed very well handled. Very interesting plot, animation on point. Thought Dororo was a girl at first though.

Loved the ending. The opening didn't catch my eye.

5/5!
Modified by BetoSCR, Jan 10, 12:07 AM
 
Jan 9, 10:02 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
This is a great start for the series while its not really anything original or unique the presentation and directings on point this series also has a rather eerie tone with all the death and suffering that comes from the medieval japan setting and those demons out of curiosity i watched the first episode of the original anime and hilariously despite being black and white and being all still frames mostly the death of those thieves was more brutal and disturbing in that version
 
Jan 9, 11:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 533
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Pretty good but some small changes from the original I noticed and I am unsure if they are good or not, 1) Hyakamaru's father in this version has as a motive also that there is famine and stuff in his land, but in the original he just wants to rule everything. Also he openly offers his son to the demons, as the demons appear to be talking to him although we only hear his responses. Is not a surprise in any sense. It seems that this version tries to not make the character to look so evil. 2) In the original Dororo tries to steal some food for an old monk that is starving but the monk dies before he comes back. In my opinion this shows that Dororo is actually pretty kind hearted which is not visible in this version 3) Hyakamaru does not know from the beginning killing monsters will get his limbs back. He realizes this a bit further in the story. 4) In the original the mother is forced to abandon the child not the midwife which makes the father even more cruel.
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.
The idea pushed was that his people were in serious trouble and that this was a reason justifying his actions. In fact as one can see in the original anime the peasants suffered way more from the deal and the wars started by this lord. Again in this version of the anime is not so clear how the wars started or that he was the one starting them.
 
Jan 9, 11:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 533
Rei366 said:
@nightcrawlercyp Giving him relatively "redeeming" facts was the only thing that did not sit well with me. He wasn't eveil in the original story, he was just totally driven by his ambition and giving up his son was a pretty good manifestation of it.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Oh, right ! o_O
(thanks for the picture but the drawing is not from me, someone made me this photoshop picture thirteen years ago and since then I never found the original art she used. XD)

Is'nt that the definition of evil? sacrificing everyone else for your desires? As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
 
Jan 9, 11:48 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 220
DumpsterKing said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
His only redeeming qualities so far are 'he could be even more evil' so I think the changes to his character are fine.
The idea pushed was that his people were in serious trouble and that this was a reason justifying his actions. In fact as one can see in the original anime the peasants suffered way more from the deal and the wars started by this lord. Again in this version of the anime is not so clear how the wars started or that he was the one starting them.
it's also quite clear he doesn't care about his peoples suffering. When making a deal with the demons, he doesn't say "to help his people", he says " so that I become a great ruler": to achieve his selfish ambitions.
 
Jan 9, 11:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 1530
Dororo is so much like Ten from Kingdom.His face and voice is like a girl may be there is a twist that he is a girl.
Anyway great episode and I want to see the backstory of Hyakkimaru and who took care of him after he was abandoned and cursed.
 
Jan 10, 3:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 923
Pretty solid first episode. Tezuka invented the young child with samurai trope too?

Animation quality looks good, MAPPA udid a good job overall.
 
Jan 10, 4:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 276
This show is going to be one of the best of this season. Animation is solid. Opening and ending themes are really co. That fight scene was also really cool to look at.
Hope it's going to be a 2 cour show.
 
Jan 10, 4:42 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 5
It seems like a pretty dark series, let's see how it will flow...
 
Jan 10, 6:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 134
Well, they do put a lot of effort into this anime.
It give me the same vibes as Studio Ghibli but R 17 + rating.
The story is really great.
I'm pretty sure this is one of the most decent anime of 2019.
But the voice actors doesn't give me that much impressions, especially Dororo.
My score for this anime is ranging between 7.5 and 8.
But someone I admire here scored it to 9.
So, it got score 8 from me... xD
 
Jan 10, 7:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 11
Very nice start. Looking forward to the next episode.
 
Jan 10, 8:13 AM

Online
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 60
Hooked. Have to travel back quite some time to when I actually religiously planned on watching 3 or more animes in the same season. 2019 has been a great start for anime.
 
Jan 10, 9:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
Priestess_Alva said:
Lusuki said:
And more excited to see the ending song from Amazarashi which i love it! <3

The ending is beautiful. Amazarashi never disappoints. <3



And indeed, both, op and end themes were excellent, not the typical JPop they usually used to... :D
 
Jan 10, 9:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 223
I don't really get it why everyone is prasing this show. I may watch the second episode, but this first was actually quite boring
 
Jan 10, 9:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 312
Good music and stylish like Samurai Champloo but also dark and gory like Berserk. I can already tell I will like this series.
 
Jan 10, 9:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 106
thiago52192 said:
I don't really get it why everyone is prasing this show. I may watch the second episode, but this first was actually quite boring

There are quite a few 8s, 9s and 10s on your list that I'd consider boring. You honestly shouldn't put too much thought into what other people say about it, tbh, Even though I'm doing just that.
 
Jan 10, 11:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 44
It was okay, I look forward to watching more of this!


 
Top
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »