Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2019 5:23 AM

Mar 2016
That anime looks a lot of fun i am really enjoying it !!! I love the classics . I ll even watch the old one after this ends

Jan 8, 2019 5:40 AM

Oct 2011
haoody said:
octal9 said:
what an absolute abortion - this is true cgi hell! if only a decent studio could have got their hands on this and animated this the way it deserved. i recommend watching the original black and white version done by tezuka productions back when they truly meant something - the company that calls itself "tezuka" these days is but a shadow of a shadow of what it once was. also read the original manga - that is true genius.

octal9 said:
this - these f@#cking kids wouldn't know real anime if it bit them on the ass. i guess this just further prooves i'm a bitter old man (remember the good ol' days when anime was drawn by real live humans instead of demonic a.i. robots?)...anyways, one more remake to avoid like the plague. kids, listen to me, just watch the original - this ain't worth your time.

can you tell me the which part of the episode was the cgi hell?
the whole thing - like i said before i'm an old-fashioned bitter old man who digs hand drawn animation. maybe my problem is being so attached to the original '60s version which was so very perfect (why remake perfection). nothing against those who like this style, but i just can't hack it. also, i felt this version lacked the humor of the original and instead focuses only on the brutality and violent side - one of the things i've always loved most about tezuka's works is that he effortlessly combines humor into some really dark stories - more people should check out his manga. there's a reason he's considered the father of modern manga/anime. it's too bad his company has foundered after he left us far too soon.
Jan 8, 2019 5:51 AM

Oct 2014
Loving the 1st episode, the animation quality is more than i expected, studio MAPPA nailed it again
Jan 8, 2019 6:05 AM

Apr 2011
The animation is good, need to see more to make anything out of the story, but that ending tho. So fucking good.

P.S. Dororo's a boy, right?
Jan 8, 2019 6:16 AM
Jan 2017
how great anime is this,,
so musch gore, blood , death, and devil.. very dark..
and this anime is more like noragami,,
im very sad to see the MC life but im still wondering how the baby who didnt have eye, skin , nose and other still alive in 16 years old after abandoned by his family,, and how he can get his face after meet Dororo,,
im waiting for next episode...
Jan 8, 2019 6:35 AM

Apr 2016
Hyakkimaru has to be one of the most unluckiest person to exist.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2019 6:37 AM

Aug 2018
Not really a fan of how it looks and the song choice for the OP was godawful but overall this episode was great. I felt pretty bad for the mom, excited to see her meet the protag again.

Jan 8, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2017
I thought this first episode was AMAZING! I'm hooked already with the mystery and dark af atmosphere. I feel like this might be tragically underrated though which usually happens with a lot of great anime
Jan 8, 2019 7:55 AM

Jan 2013
BackstageMage said:
It's so weird to see Dororo in such a dark style considering the manga looks so cartoonish, but man does it look great.

Welcome to the world of Osamu Tezuka, where you get some of the most depressing stories with cartoony character designs.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jan 8, 2019 8:16 AM
May 2018
Damn... this anime gave me goosebumps already, op and ed are really awesome. The short fight was amazingly detailed (some part was off though)... The father sold his soul to devil leading to some crazy shit like the baby... Bruh, why the mother still kept that headless Buddha statue? Not a fan of religion but the sacrilege gave me chill... Anyway, looking forward to the next episode
Jan 8, 2019 8:39 AM

Mar 2018
I have great expectation from this one, the PV & synopsis is super interesting. Love the OP, nice action scene, hope they keep the quality.
Jan 8, 2019 9:18 AM
Dec 2018
Dororo is a boy?! But...he’s so...cute. RIP my sexuality. Love the end song; really agree with all others praising first ep—very excited about this one. Could end up my fav if the season and def would not have predicted that—tho I’m not complaining. This is my first season of week-to-week anime watching and already in love with it.
Jan 8, 2019 9:20 AM
Jan 2019
Some of the opening sounds fucking amazing, other parts (basically the higher parts) sound horrible but better than expected.
Very suspenseful and looks promising.
Jan 8, 2019 9:20 AM
Mar 2016
Honestly, I know nothing about the original source but I want more, this episode was really intriguing and visually interesting. Already fell in love with OP and ED
Jan 8, 2019 9:27 AM
Nov 2018
Excellent first episode, Dororo is going to be amazing. Yes sir
Jan 8, 2019 10:25 AM

Jan 2016
This was more than amazing! The animation was top notch, the VA's stood out and it seems like the story will also be very good with lots of deaths and gore.

Jan 8, 2019 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
This works so well with a more modern art style. I especially like Dororo's design, it makes a certain twist later on more believeable compared to the manga. Also really nice background designs! The OP sounds really strange and out of place though.
Jan 8, 2019 10:52 AM

Nov 2013
i actually liked the opening (at least the "screaming sound", maybe not so much when he was singing lol)
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 8, 2019 10:55 AM

Dec 2016
Oh yeah this show is gonna be fucking badass
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 8, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
BRUH That opening song is 10/10 quality

Definitely a serious contender for AOTS, and possible AOTY
Jan 8, 2019 12:34 PM

Mar 2014
That kinda blew me away, honestly
Jan 8, 2019 12:34 PM

May 2016
Gotta say it was worth the hype both op and ed are lit.
Jan 8, 2019 12:38 PM

Apr 2017
That's the ending I hope for on a first episode. Didn't gave much info but enough for me to look for the second episode.

The fighting scene at the end was great and the premise is quite good too. I wonder if he can actually speak...I hope so.
I don't typically read manga so if I get anything right please don't tell me.
Jan 8, 2019 12:50 PM

Apr 2017
Raoni27 said:
KaiserNazrin said:
Wow, I remember playing a PS2 game with a plot similar to this. It was pretty sick. Probably based on this story huh.

because the game was based on this manga ^^

Ohhhhh now that makes a whole lot of sense. I was seeing so much similarity and was wondering why.

EDIT: Sheeeeeet now I know quite a few answers beforehand :(
DarkbxJan 8, 2019 12:54 PM
I don't typically read manga so if I get anything right please don't tell me.
Jan 8, 2019 1:00 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Bloody hell. That was much better than I expected. I love Tezuka and his style of storytelling, but I was wary this story being adapted in 2019. I shouldn't have worried since MAPPA delivered quality once again.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 8, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
I loved it! promising..
Jan 8, 2019 4:28 PM
Jul 2011
That was good. My type of show. I like the setting.
Jan 8, 2019 4:31 PM
Jan 2019
Since i played the PS2 game way back when. Will the anime be the same as the game?
Jan 8, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2012
Wow, so glad I picked it up.
It just ended and ready to a full 25 episodes marathon. Loved it, hope it mantain itself interesting :D

Jan 8, 2019 5:33 PM

Dec 2015
For a "modern" reimagining, this was incredibly close to the first TV adaptation!
The redesign of Dororo is quite good in evoking his past form. Hyakkimaru on the other hand..

Looks like they reduced the number of body parts to fit a half-length show. A full length one would have been more fitting to celebrate the God of Manga...

Also, this dog... I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be picked up by this adaptation. Was it even in the manga??

Something I found weird was the blind monk in the past, what was that? Was it in the book? o_O

5/5 @CodeBlazeFate I know you didn't have it on your radar so may I point it out for you?

@Birdsanddrugs To be fair, the first adaptations (colour pilot, B&W TV series) had quite the action too.

@FMMatron Kannst du bitte mir Animation Probleme Beispiele geben? OK.ru hat immer wieder die Auflosung auf die 3DS geändert und deswegen hatte ich oft schw.Bildschirme, deshalb habe ich sie vielleicht verpasst.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Where did you get the actor's age?
Jan 8, 2019 5:36 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
For a "modern" reimagining, this was incredibly close to the first TV adaptation!
The redesign of Dororo is quite good in evoking his past form. Hyakkimaru on the other hand..

Looks like they reduced the number of body parts to fit a half-length show. A full length one would have been more fitting to celebrate the God of Manga...

Also, this dog... I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be picked up by this adaptation. Was it even in the manga??

Something I found weird was the blind monk in the past, what was that? Was it in the book? o_O

5/5 @CodeBlazeFate I know you didn't have it on your radar so may I point it out for you?

@Birdsanddrugs To be fair, the first adaptations (colour pilot, B&W TV series) had quite the action too.

@FMMatron Kannst du bitte mir Animation Probleme Beispiele geben? OK.ru hat immer wieder die Auflosung auf die 3DS geändert und deswegen hatte ich oft schw.Bildschirme, deshalb habe ich sie vielleicht verpasst.

@AwesomeAlfie27 Where did you get the actor's age?
It's on my radar but given it airs the same day as Mob Psycho Mob 100 2, I'm hoping they don't end on the same day too cuz otherwise I won't be able to watch them both (at least in the context of being seasonals).
Jan 8, 2019 6:47 PM

Sep 2016
pretty cool so far cmon mappa lets make this show a banger i love when shows are set within the feudal era
Facta Non Verba
Jan 8, 2019 7:10 PM

Jan 2018
Does anyone know how old Dororo is?

I just finished the first episode and was wondering where I could fit this anime in the MALs 2019 Anime Watching Challenge.
There is this item "16. Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is a human child ". But the instructions specify that "the child should be 12 years old or younger (you should be able to find a source for the age; doesn't need to be stated on MAL)"

Does anyone know how old Dororo is? And if so, where did you find this information?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 8, 2019 7:20 PM

Jun 2015
It's going to be one of those anime which people drop like flies.
Jan 8, 2019 7:24 PM
May 2018
It's sad to see that so many people have shit taste and don't see how effin' awesome the opening is. Already watched it like 30 times. Can't wait for the full version.
Jan 8, 2019 7:30 PM

Oct 2018
DavidCunha said:
Does anyone know how old Dororo is?

I just finished the first episode and was wondering where I could fit this anime in the MALs 2019 Anime Watching Challenge.
There is this item "16. Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is a human child ". But the instructions specify that "the child should be 12 years old or younger (you should be able to find a source for the age; doesn't need to be stated on MAL)"

Does anyone know how old Dororo is? And if so, where did you find this information?

Thanks in advance!

Dororo doesn't really know his age since in the manga he mentions "when I was 5, 6, or 10" when he recalled something from the past, so it's a bit ambiguous.

I bet he's around 10 or 11 though, since Hyakkimaru is 16-ish. I dunno if the anime is going to give him a cannon age, so you can just wait and see.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 8, 2019 8:42 PM
Dec 2017
It's interesting. I'll definitely finish this. I can't wait for the next episode. Also, it's made my MAPPA so the rest of the series will probably be good too.
Jan 8, 2019 8:44 PM

May 2015
Christ. That's a substantial amount of talent exhibited in the first episode. OP staff: Takeshi Koike (Animation direction) and Takafumi Hori did some key animation (Staff that worked on Samurai Champloo.)
Jan 8, 2019 9:23 PM
Oct 2017
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he
Jan 8, 2019 9:25 PM

Oct 2018
satsatsaturnalia said:
is dororo a boy or a girl because the design looks like a girl but the subs I found referred to them as a he

Dororo is a guy

30charactercount

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Jan 8, 2019 10:23 PM

Jun 2017
not particularly promising but I'll keep watching for now
Jan 9, 2019 12:40 AM

Feb 2018
Wow Mappa again, nice op for now.
Jan 9, 2019 12:44 AM

Oct 2008
I tell you!..this is gonna be one badass show!
bow down to MAPPA!
5/5.

Jan 9, 2019 12:51 AM
Jan 2012
It's been said by so many already, but the OP just doesn't sound right to me.

Other than that I think this was a good first episode. Good enough to get us curious, and looks well directed, choreography was stellar with Hyakkimaru and slashing across that bridge. I've never experienced Dororo at all till now, so people saying it's not as faithful of an adaptation as they'd like doesn't affect me much.
Jan 9, 2019 1:11 AM

Jul 2014
This has a very atmospheric feel, everything from the background visuals and the historical ambience. Not a fan of the OP either, a traditional OP would have matched perfectly, love the ED though, amazarashi always put out ear candy.
But promising, I'm hoping this to be two-cour?
Jan 9, 2019 1:34 AM

Jan 2016
I really loved the first episode; possible AOTS. I actually am enjoying MAPPA’s anime adapatation more than the manga.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jan 9, 2019 2:32 AM
Sep 2018
What a great ED i've replayed it 3-4 times in a row.
I'm not such a fan of Samurai related stuff, but this looks like somthing i will enjoy.
Jan 9, 2019 3:04 AM

Feb 2017
The opening was awful, ugh...
Jan 9, 2019 3:15 AM
Apr 2017
Golden_Scarlett said:
reeeeee gtfo out of my series normies

NO YOU GET OUT OF MY SERIES NORMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 9, 2019 5:43 AM

Jul 2017
satsatsaturnalia said:

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
3 hours ago

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.