Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2019 6:45 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Flampe's dream sequence looked right out of shojo anime LOL it ain't gonna happen, Flampe...
next episode is going to rule
Jan 5, 2019 6:53 PM

Apr 2014
Freaking Flampe had to interrupt the fight...
Jan 5, 2019 6:56 PM

Jan 2008
Was a little disappointed in the blatant spoiler for next week's episode given in the preview. I mean, I guess they figure everyone's already read the manga, but still.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jan 5, 2019 7:52 PM
Jan 2019
I am very disappointed as to how anime nowadays are the constant scenes played over each other and the fights really get dragged on for an absurd amount of time. Really wish writers were as creative as they used to be. This episode was trash. Changing my vote to 1 star. I really expected more ground to be covered in this episode. Will definitely be taking a break from anime for a couple months be hopefully the fight will be over by then.
Jan 5, 2019 9:30 PM

Jun 2016
rayyescada said:
I am very disappointed as to how anime nowadays are the constant scenes played over each other and the fights really get dragged on for an absurd amount of time. Really wish writers were as creative as they used to be. This episode was trash. Changing my vote to 1 star. I really expected more ground to be covered in this episode. Will definitely be taking a break from anime for a couple months be hopefully the fight will be over by then.

Because it's weekly the anime is only 36 chapters behind the manga. If they want good pacing they should make it seasonal like mha or other 12-25 episodes shows. The only way to fix the pacing a bit is to make a long filler arc after Whole Cake Island but they won't do that because fillers=low ratings.
Jan 5, 2019 10:08 PM

Mar 2017
Pace is much slower than before feels like... I wonder if wano gonna take few years
Jan 5, 2019 10:32 PM

Nov 2014
Actually One Piece is dragged since some arcs ago. But we must not deny that this episode has brought impeccable hairlines, animation and sound track. Beyond, we've had the acclaimed blood.
"The world is beautiful. Even if you're full of tears and sadness, open your eyes. Do what you want to do. Be what you want to be. Find friends. Don't be in a hurry to grow up. Take your time."

Jan 5, 2019 10:57 PM
May 2018
I think they should stop uploading chapters during all weeks. I will prefer to wait a year or 2 in order to watch like 24 episodes well animated without having any flashbacks during fights. They are making the anime too looooong. If they keep this pace the series is going to end up having 20000 episodes. Is a great anime but I’m getting tired of waiting a week to watch some sort of shit. It doesn’t mean that I hate it, I just don’t like how they are developing the story making scenes way too boring and long.
PD: I know the animation improvement is amazing, but the story itself is dragging watchers to go to sleep.
Jan 5, 2019 11:00 PM
Nov 2018
Sick episode, ofcourse lots of flashbacks but not like I care, sick fight, sick new soundtrack, and looks like next episode is the real deal.
Jan 6, 2019 2:17 AM

Feb 2016
U might wanna save the crappy comments of '' I prefer 12-24 episodes with good animations every 1-2 year '' to yourselves , it is perfect as it is and the animations are currently far better than my overrated hero academias.
Jan 6, 2019 3:08 AM
Dec 2010
kevin_video said:
Was a little disappointed in the blatant spoiler for next week's episode given in the preview.

This is the first time I've seen someone complain that a preview spoils an upcoming episode lol. Why watch previews at all if you intend to view the upcoming episode? Especially if you don't want to be spoiled.

I don't watch openings or endings unless they intentionally avoid showing upcoming events and characters. Same goes for previews because it's just one giant spoiler.

Asunakob said:
U might wanna save the crappy comments of '' I prefer 12-24 episodes with good animations every 1-2 year '' to yourselves , it is perfect as it is and the animations are currently far better than my overrated hero academias.

Except the animation isn't even the problem with this show right now. It could be Ufotable quality and still not be redeemable. The repetitive garbage can fire of a fight with Katakuri is the main issue. Coupled with the snails pace of everything else going on around them, makes for really boring episodes.

I mean really, 4 months for a fight that virtually nothing is happening in? Aside from Luffy getting absolutely trounced, of course. The Doflamingo fight for Luffy was 7 episodes vs. almost 20 for this one. The former having an insane amount of variation and power ups on both sides. That's on top of the consecutive really cool fights Doflamingo had leading up to it. This is just one loooooong and agonizing series of events.
Jan 6, 2019 4:50 AM

Feb 2013
Flampe needs to die for ruining their awesome duel!
Jan 6, 2019 5:08 AM

Jul 2016
Asunakob said:

gave this 1/5 for the fact that Katakuri has been made to look like the most physically weak character in all of one piece.
Jan 6, 2019 5:10 AM

Oct 2015
kevin_video said:
Was a little disappointed in the blatant spoiler for next week's episode given in the preview. I mean, I guess they figure everyone's already read the manga, but still.

Well, after watching the episode, I wanted to comment about that part really positively. I was very happy with this episode, and the preview for one reason: In the manga we had Katakuri stab Luffy in the stomach at the end of the chapter. That was an insane cliffhanger. Everyone was wondering if Luffy is dead, or the entire last page was a just Luffy seeing in the future, or something like that. Instead of the cliffhanger, we actually learn what happened to Luffy, he survives, and the preview is a kind of relief that Katakuri finally noticed what the heck is going on. I think most people are happy that they know that Katakuri is really mad because of what happened, instead of having a cliffhanger.

Cycli said:
I think they should stop uploading chapters during all weeks. I will prefer to wait a year or 2 in order to watch like 24 episodes well animated without having any flashbacks during fights. They are making the anime too looooong. If they keep this pace the series is going to end up having 20000 episodes. Is a great anime but I’m getting tired of waiting a week to watch some sort of shit. It doesn’t mean that I hate it, I just don’t like how they are developing the story making scenes way too boring and long.
PD: I know the animation improvement is amazing, but the story itself is dragging watchers to go to sleep.

You can do what I do: Watch it 2x speed. For the 1-2 years I have been watching most episodes with 2x, or 4x speed up, because of how stretched out some episodes are. Very strange, but 2x speed seems like the normal speed to me when it comes to One Piece, it's so slow. I know it's not exactly a solution, but if it's not worth it to watch the entire thing at such a slow-pace, just speed it up.
I must admit that recently I watched most episodes at normal speed, because some episodes about the fight were really good.

---

Anyways, we are approaching the climax of this arc. I wonder if we are going to get some sort of filler arc. The manga doesn't seem extremely close right now, but some extra distance between the anime and the manga wouldn't hurt imo.
Jan 6, 2019 6:09 AM
Feb 2015
Feels like I'm watching Meruem vs Netero except for some screams from Luffy which he adds to all that beating he gets from Katakuri. Really extended and tedious fight.
Jan 6, 2019 6:32 AM
EDM ❤

May 2012
So people are complaining now about what i said weeks ago. Now that we gone full circle people should stack a couple episodes and watch them to feel like there's development.

Nothing changed in the pacing. Anyway, excited to see what's going to happen in the next one.
Jan 6, 2019 9:20 AM

Jul 2008
Here we go, finally the best part of the fight.
Jan 6, 2019 10:11 AM
Apr 2016
I FREAKING BEG KATAKURI SHOULD FUC**** KILL THAT BITCH... INTERFERING WITH THE FIGHT LIKE THAT.... I really liked the scene where Luffy got stabbed, it looks really clean and nice! But damn I hate that brat that shoot him... I swear...
Jan 6, 2019 11:02 AM

May 2018
Flampe you little shit stay out of this one :@
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2019 11:32 AM

May 2016
Boy oh Boy Katakuri is pissed as shit, poor Luffy I feel so bad for him, imagine being in shoes.
Jan 6, 2019 11:58 AM

Sep 2010
That new Toei intro threw me off for a bit.
Jan 6, 2019 12:06 PM

Feb 2015
Luffy is still fighting Katakuri in mirroworld. Mont-d’Or despaired, so he called almost all the fleets to Cocoa Island. Perospero and Bavarois went behind Big Mom and Bege (who’s distracting her for a moment) while Smoothie follows the mugiwaras. In the mirroworld, Flampe hit a shot in Luffy’s leg, which let him unable to dodge Katakuri’s attack, causing him a serious injury, Luffy ended up in the floor, almost knocked out. In Cocoa Island, Oven orders the people to break all their mirrors, only remaining one big mirror, waiting for Luffy to come. Flampe tried to hit another shot, but failed, Katakuri realized that someone is shooting Luffy and why he could hurt him so badly.

The episode has some incredible fight scenes that we missed for too many episodes. That side scenes where Katakuri is attacking Luffy and he’s only dodging. Then, we have some music that I haven’t heard before and is very notable now. Big Mom’s Pirates are sharing their objectives, so all they are in different places with different orders. It looks that Katakuri’s pride could get hurt by fighting someone in different conditions. I wonder what plan could Sanji have devised.
Atlas77Jul 23, 2019 9:26 PM
Jan 6, 2019 1:21 PM

Feb 2016
Vindicater said:
Asunakob said:

gave this 1/5 for the fact that Katakuri has been made to look like the most physically weak character in all of one piece.

I read the manga for this episode and it is exactly the same in the manga it has adapted 2 half chapters for the episode and no fillers that I could notice.
if you don't like something , don't watch it. you want fast shit go watch bnha that'd be better for both you and me since I won't need to bother myself with people whining around.
F8L-Fool said:
kevin_video said:
Was a little disappointed in the blatant spoiler for next week's episode given in the preview.

This is the first time I've seen someone complain that a preview spoils an upcoming episode lol. Why watch previews at all if you intend to view the upcoming episode? Especially if you don't want to be spoiled.

I don't watch openings or endings unless they intentionally avoid showing upcoming events and characters. Same goes for previews because it's just one giant spoiler.

Asunakob said:

Except the animation isn't even the problem with this show right now. It could be Ufotable quality and still not be redeemable. The repetitive garbage can fire of a fight with Katakuri is the main issue. Coupled with the snails pace of everything else going on around them, makes for really boring episodes.

I mean really, 4 months for a fight that virtually nothing is happening in? Aside from Luffy getting absolutely trounced, of course. The Doflamingo fight for Luffy was 7 episodes vs. almost 20 for this one. The former having an insane amount of variation and power ups on both sides. That's on top of the consecutive really cool fights Doflamingo had leading up to it. This is just one loooooong and agonizing series of events.

tbh I didn't like dressrosa probably my least liked arc but then again this is going the same pace as the manga. I told the other guy but again if you like fast stuff watch other anime like bnha , if youv'e watched 850 episodes and still don't know how the pace in one piece is and are forcing yourself to keep watching it , I doubt if the problem is with the show.
And I've watched every episode of luffy vs katakuri 2-3 times and enjoyed every single run.
Jan 6, 2019 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
Ulquiorra said:
Flampe needs to die for ruining their awesome duel!

was thinking the same as the needle hit
Jan 6, 2019 2:02 PM

Jun 2015
Bruh they are really dragging the fight now.
Jan 6, 2019 3:36 PM

Dec 2013
Poor Luffy is in really bad shape at this post.

Fuck Flambé...
Jan 6, 2019 5:47 PM

Jan 2008
F8L-Fool said:
kevin_video said:

I've already seen all of this. I've been reading the manga since almost Day 1. I'm not affected by the spoiler. I only watch the previews to find out what chapter we're going to be covering, if any. Lots of previews used to be about what Christmas or New Year's filler we were going to get so I could skip it. I normally don't watch the anime except for the cool parts I want to see animated. I only care for other people. It's just not good policy to do that. But thanks for presuming.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jan 6, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2015
The episode made me want to slap Flampe's taste off for doing that to my Luffy. The guy was almost in the zone in that battle, and that sure pissed Katakuri off after the man stumbled. I really like Luffy's drive even if he's weak in this episode, part of the reason he's my favorite character of all time.

I wish one piece aired everyday for real!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 6, 2019 8:36 PM
Dec 2010
Asunakob said:
tbh I didn't like dressrosa probably my least liked arc but then again this is going the same pace as the manga. I told the other guy but again if you like fast stuff watch other anime like bnha , if youv'e watched 850 episodes and still don't know how the pace in one piece is and are forcing yourself to keep watching it , I doubt if the problem is with the show.
And I've watched every episode of luffy vs katakuri 2-3 times and enjoyed every single run.

Funny how I somehow have a problem because I dislike something in an arc. It's completely normal to be unhappy with the direction a show takes.

You say this pacing is just standard for One Piece, except no other arc has dragged this terribly at crucial points with nothing happening for months. No other arc has had a singular fight take even HALF as many episodes to unfold, or had so little substantive content within said fight.

I've watched many, many, many thousands of episodes of anime and I can place the Katakuri fight in the top 10 most pointless and trivial fights ever. Aside from the visuals of it, there is nothing positive to speak of.

Katakuri can't be hit. Cool. Now wrap it up. That's the entire depth of the fight. It's downright embarrassing.
Jan 7, 2019 2:56 AM

Jul 2013
Flampe already gets on my nerves. Such a devious character. You can see that even Katakuri wants a fair fight, that's why he's so pissed that Luffy got hit by him with the spear.
It definitely feels dragged and I don't think Luffy ever got so beaten by anyone else.

Also the situation at cacao island seems hopeless for Nami and Co. So many ships surrounded it and Smoothie is right behind them. I wonder what idea Sanji has.

Next episode looks better even if I have no clue how long this fight will go on.

Jan 7, 2019 3:56 AM

Jun 2015
isn't that luffy injury pretty light compared to what happened in manga? Hmm
Jan 7, 2019 4:42 AM

May 2018
So, after Railey's teachings, this goofy brat never trained this skill? And now he will win the fight just because of some miracle? MEH.
This boring and stupid Katakuri fight is making me drop the series

Jan 7, 2019 6:34 AM

May 2014
Well, at least it was worth waiting two weeks for so much blood spill. It's much more than what we have seen in the previous arcs. I think 06:09 is the most blood spill we have seen since Ace death. Slow paced, but at least we can laugh of Toei's animation together with that little girl. xD
Jan 7, 2019 2:37 PM
Mar 2018
Finally!! The epic clash between Luffy and Katakuri begins!!! Well I kind of hate Flampe's guts!!! And she's gonna get what she deserves in the next episode (Not her dream romance with Katakuri but something else)
Jan 8, 2019 9:15 AM

Sep 2016
Holy shit, when is this going to end? Toei is ruining the best fight in One Piece
Jan 8, 2019 9:18 AM

Sep 2016
Nemo_Niemand said:
So, after Railey's teachings, this goofy brat never trained this skill? And now he will win the fight just because of some miracle? MEH.
This boring and stupid Katakuri fight is making me drop the series

Drop it, and start reading the manga, seriously, after the timeskip toei fucked up the pacing
Jan 8, 2019 10:05 AM

May 2018
DonDask said:

Drop it, and start reading the manga, seriously, after the timeskip toei fucked up the pacing

Yeah. When I go back, I'll go for manga. Tens of episodes in a row when literally nothing happens, It's so irritating.
Just remembered that Zou island climbing when they were cheering up the dragon for almost two episodes and nothing else.
I should better have started reading manga instead, so much time would be saved lol
Nemo_NiemandJan 8, 2019 10:08 AM

Jan 8, 2019 10:08 AM

Sep 2016
Nemo_Niemand said:
DonDask said:

Yeah. When I go back, I'll go for manga. Tens of episodes in a row when literally nothing happens, It's so irritating.
Just remembered that Zou island climbing when they were cheering up the dragon for almost two episodes and nothing else.
I should have better started to read manga instead, so much time would be saved lol

Yeah, I just stick to the anime because I just want to finish that arc and move on. I'll prob drop it and wait for Wano to be finished in a couple of months or a year in the anime and for the One Pace team to remove all the filler.
Jan 8, 2019 5:45 PM

Mar 2016
The pace gets slower than before or is it my imagination?? Hahaha anyway what can we do .. :/ . Thankfully its every week

Jan 8, 2019 6:56 PM

Aug 2016
LMAO.

Somehow they will drag this fight out for another 3 episodes. It's like each episode adds one element to the fight and then its just a rehash of scenes with Luffy getting pummeled. First its a new technique then its flashbacks then its outside interference.

This is almost as pathetic as it taking Sanji like 3 episodes to go run some food out to Luffy.
Jan 9, 2019 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
How nice of Katakuri to just stand there for two hours doing nothing and staring into the air.
Jan 9, 2019 11:16 AM

Dec 2014
wow....the next episode will be so OP
Jan 12, 2019 4:58 AM
Oct 2018
rayyescada said:

That's how the fights are different when the bounty of the guy involved is 1 Billion, deal with it, imo only the Do-flamingo thing was dragged nothin else.
Jan 19, 2019 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
I really feel like Katakuri's teaching Luffy lol. This annoying and very prolonged fight is only teaching Luffy to improve his Haki. Countless times Katakuri could've have finished him off like in this episode for example, Katakuri's so curious why Luffy suddenly slipped and I get that but dude just fucking kill him isn't that what you want? Damn.
Feb 4, 2019 12:19 PM
Jun 2015
The amount of abuse Luffy has gone through in this fight is just ridiculous. Katakuri can pretty much finish him off if he wants to.
Mar 31, 2019 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
Katakuri is not happy at all that Luffy's suddenly not able to be himself, he wants a fair fight, not one where this "cute" girl is interrupting it by throwing shady needles.
Jun 1, 2019 2:23 AM

Mar 2015
Goddamnit Flampe!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 20, 2020 9:32 AM
Jul 2018
AH, so Bege does want to escape. But he is helping his wife to pay off her debt. I knew he is not that much of a gambling man.

This Flampe. While her dream is amusing, to say the least, she seriously gave Luffy a severe disadvantage. As if he needs any more than what he already has on his plate. I like how Katakuri is starting to respect Luffy. How could you not considering the number of beatings Luffy took all the while showing his strong will and determination? And was highly disappointed in him after thinking that Luffy made a mishap, not knowing of his little sister's interference. As things stand, I don't think Katakuri will be taken in by Flampe's actions.
removed-userJan 20, 2020 9:37 AM
Jul 9, 2020 9:08 AM
Dec 2014
Fullmetalchemis said:
rayyescada said:

That's how the fights are different when the bounty of the guy involved is 1 Billion, deal with it, imo only the Do-flamingo thing was dragged nothin else.

The fact that his bounty is 1 billion makes it even worse.Luffy should be dead a long time ago when he's constantly get beaten by Katakuri.
Aug 12, 2020 2:14 AM

Jun 2016
The fight is finally great, although I may be one of the only people saying so. This entire episode was one that I couldn't get enough of! Katakuri began respecting Luffy’s abilities, seeing a future where he could lose, but then his little sister shot a numbing needle into Luffy's leg. In this one moment everything clicked in my head. My observational haki took ahold of me! Admittedly, I know another spoiler in this fight, perhaps the most iconic moment. And knowing that, the pieces began to fall together so I'll try to explain the theory that formed in my head whether it's true or not.

So leaving spoiler tags I can talk more in detail about why this fight is suddenly really good. It took a long time to get here, but some of the wishes I had are now in effect. The boys are on an even playing field, Luffy is rapidly learning to contest Katakuri and at this point it is no longer a snoozefest of waiting for Luffy to lose and then get stronger going on for way too long, it now feels as though every blow matters and I'm unsure which ones will count. Stuff like seeing Luffy dodge and counterattack, Katakuri dodge and counterattack but then use a barrage of attacks this time so that even if Luffy can dodge one or two the rest will hit him felt really good, an anti parry strategy from 3rd Strike no less!

However the fight got really interesting at the point where Luffy was stabbed! A major reason is because I am interested in three sides of the conflict on top of the action which now feels meaningful. The reason to care for Luffy’s drive and growth is obvious, but Katakuri became incredibly interesting in one quick moment. He seemed disgusted that Luffy would make such a stupid mistake, he admitted that he began to respect him but now he's appalled. The way that I am reading the situation is that this fight is already as important to Katakuri as it is for Luffy. If he is struggling against someone who would be such an amateur as to slip as Luffy did, that looks bad on him. It means somebody as weak as Luffy has exhausted him and for a man who has to live up to insane standards, that is disrespectful and shameful. I would argue there is also another aspect to that repulsion he felt, that of Luffy being a mirror of Katakuri himself. Specifically, I think Katakuri sees his own weakness within Luffy. No one is perfect and one day Katakuri will fail and disappoint his family, it’s a fact of life. To see someone as strong as Luffy doing just that, slipping and falling, failing those who rely on him, I think Katakuri sees the inevitability of his own failures. Perhaps defeating Katakuri will actually be liberating for him in that way. That second point may be reading way too into it, but the fact that I can read that deep makes me so much more interested in Katakuri.

Surprising to some, the third aspect of the scene I am interested in is the little sister. As much as I think it is easy to dismiss her as a shallow antagonist, she serves an important purpose. Sure, narratively she brings in the obscene expectations that are put onto Katakuri, but within the family there is another dynamic at play. This little girl is forever competing with all of her siblings to be the best, she is in a family where love is conditional and merit-based, seeing the people around her and the system around her, I don't think we can blame her for being the way she is. She, like Katakuri or Pudding, has an expectation to be the best and nothing less put on her.

I have already written a lot, so I'll not touch on the other stuff into much detail but if you know me, you know that the Fire Tank pirates scene won my heart. Seeing that the family not only loves Chiffon but respects the hell out of her resolve along with Bege nodding his head at her line about repaying debts, it was a great addition to making the Fire Tank pirates even more special. Another layer to love! And also, around the 12-minute mark when Katakuri was unleashing his anger on Luffy, it was beautifully animated and it had what I think is a brand new track playing which once again sold to me the value of music because I was hooked on that scene and hyped up! The song is listed as ‘unreleased’ on ‘One Piece tracklist’ but if you outube Katakuri OST you can find fan-made covers of it!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 941 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alphazero4um - Sep 12, 2020

69 by Yubisoft »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion

phantom346 - Apr 14

11 by ThaTOnEGuY4_ »»
2 hours ago

» One Piece should be a bi-weekly release

Zeverinsen - Aug 8, 2019

2 by cerise_serris »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Oct 8, 2009

51 by Avsar_Gazozu »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 151 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 11, 2009

94 by kejora »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.