Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 5, 2019 1:02 PM

Aug 2017
I mean a couple months ago i would watch a show a day but now I cant be bothered.

I watch things related to anime on youtube and go on MAL no problem but I cant actually sit down and watch an actual show.

Have any of you went through this. Is it just a phase or do I simply not enjoy watching anime anymore?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2019 1:03 PM

Aug 2013
I had this same issue and disappeared for two years from the community. In that mean time I only saw Gintama and JoJo
Jan 5, 2019 1:05 PM

Feb 2015
Happens all the time... I've been watching for years... A couple times a year I go through periods where I don't feel like watching...

So I don't... I go do other things for a while, then I'll get hyped again and come back to anime...

I'm even doing it now... Haven't watched anime in 2 months... It's fine...
Jan 5, 2019 1:06 PM

Aug 2018
Ay that's rough buddy.

I recommend you to just stop watching anime for now and do other stuff in the meantime.
Like playing games or doing school stuff, if u are in school.

And whenever u want to get back into anime just make a thread in ''Anime Recommendations',
and I'll hit you up with some anime that definitely will spark something in your body.

U can always try to watch an anime together with someone on a site called ''Rabbit'' or smth
Jan 5, 2019 1:07 PM

May 2015
idk i just watch it whenever i feel like it. either way ill be doing something related to it like reading fanfics or watching youtube or talking to friends idk
My Candies:
Jan 5, 2019 1:08 PM

Apr 2014
its usualy just a phase. you are burned out. many of us get tired of something monotonous and take a break for a while. sometimes i go months without watching anything substantial
Jan 5, 2019 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
Take a break from it and come back...
Jan 5, 2019 1:13 PM
Jul 2016
Bro thats me rn. I really want to watch/read anime and manga. But I don't have enough motivation. And I'm too busy with school and hanging out of with ppl. I don't want to lose my pride for watching anime.(TT) and yeah. It's an off and on thing. Plus with all the new animes coming up and all. Of course I want to watch it. So try to stay motivated. 🤷🤷
Jan 5, 2019 1:14 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Can we stop with these threads already? You got bored of anime, big deal. Just watch something else thats not anime and come back when you feel like it. Problem solved.
Jan 5, 2019 1:14 PM

Apr 2018
You're probably just burnt out.
It happens to everyone; because we anime watchers tend to consume a lot of the media in a short amount time (due to many series being relatively short).
Just take a break from anime for a while, and eventually you'll get a hankering for it again; or just watch series at a slower pace (1-5 Eps. a day)
Jan 5, 2019 1:20 PM

Aug 2017
R3b1N said:
Ay that's rough buddy.

I recommend you to just stop watching anime for now and do other stuff in the meantime.
Like playing games or doing school stuff, if u are in school.

And whenever u want to get back into anime just make a thread in ''Anime Recommendations',
and I'll hit you up with some anime that definitely will spark something in your body.

U can always try to watch an anime together with someone on a site called ''Rabbit'' or smth

Thanks man, Ill go check it out. I mean now I hink about it. it is pretty obvious what I should do...
Jan 5, 2019 1:22 PM
Sep 2015
Me too.

I just finished Honey and Clover (and Deadpool). Honestly, it felt really boring. Not because they're bad. The anime (and the film) was actually pretty decent. But for some reason, lately i'm just not in the mood to watch anything.

I'm planning to watch Seishun Buta Yarou next time. I hope it can be a decent mood booster for me.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Jan 5, 2019 1:22 PM

Feb 2017
It's probably a phase, happenes to a lot of people. Happened to me few times as well. Either take a break for a while and do some other hobby or try watching something completely different from what you are used to, like trying some older anime, or some genre you haven't given a chance yet.

For example I was getting burnt out few months ago. Didn't feel like watching anything. Then as I was bored one day I started watching Gundam and now I feel like I've discovered anime for the first time again.
Jan 5, 2019 1:24 PM

Sep 2016

Same here, maybe we are finally ready to fully grow up and become active members of society instead of passively sitting in front of a screen
watching some random stuff other people made up to entertain the masses.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 5, 2019 1:25 PM

Apr 2017
I would say it is a very normal state of things. In my experience these phases of lacking interest come on average at least once a year for a few weeks, occasionally even months. Once there was time when I have been watching a lot of anime for several years, with small downtimes when I wasn't interested, though those typically didn't last long. It was followed by a phase when wasn't watching anime for almost entire year, with short periods when I was interested. Then I became more interested again. Now I'm interested, but half of this year I was watching a bit less again, which was partially due to me being busy, but partially also due to the lack of interest.

So it's completely normal to occasionally loose interest, until one regains it again. The only thing that I can recommend is to do something else until the interest naturally returns. Of course it may also never return, but that's also normal. We don't have to be interested in the same thing for our whole life, and it's normal for our interests to change through it. I always fail to realize why people question this, and not just take it as a normal part of life that it is.
MrZawaJan 5, 2019 1:28 PM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 5, 2019 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah, happens quite a while. Just do something else and come back when you feel interested again. Like, really interested. A show that grabs your attention. If not, stay away from anime because you might lose even more interest if you end up watching a show that disappoints you. Don't feel obliged to complete shows. Just my two cents.
"This little girl, who's not even half my size... taught me that tears can flow even from these silver eyes." - Teresa
Jan 5, 2019 1:53 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Do get burnout every few months or so from Anime. Then I just put more time to youtube videos or gaming or watching movies/tv series. Then I return to Anime. With most stuff is like that. I just rotate around the stuff I like.
Jan 5, 2019 1:56 PM
Feb 2017
It's called burnout, my friend. Happens to everyone, whether it be after watching a show or being away from it. You have to sorta force yourself to watch it.
Jan 5, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2015
The one time I felt like that I was just watching terrible shows.
Jan 5, 2019 2:07 PM

Dec 2016
It's just a phase you will eventually watch anime again
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 5, 2019 2:10 PM

Sep 2018
That happens to me all the time but I have a.d.h.d and various other problems Xd But I usually just game or do something else. Trust me, just take a break and you will come back when you really want to.
Jan 5, 2019 2:11 PM

May 2018
You don't have to think it that way. You don't have to be always watching anime all day long if you don't feel like it. I just took a break and it lasted about a month because I just wasn't in the mood for watching anime.
I suggest you to take a break from it, so you don't have to watch anime like it's some kind of chore.
Jan 5, 2019 2:12 PM

Mar 2017
I only watch anime like half a year average. I've watched like 4 episodes of anime since October. But I've read 29 manga since then too lol. I think my biggest no anime no manga streak in the last 6 years was about 9 months
Jan 5, 2019 2:12 PM

Nov 2016
I've had that phase a few times and to prevent it from happening so often, I've limited how much anime I watch per day to around 1-3 eps, only binging 10+ eps per day very occasionally. Of course, you're under no obligation to watch anime every day anyways; go do something else for a while and come back when you feel like it, whatever works best to avoid burnout.
currently: doing my best!

Jan 5, 2019 2:13 PM

Feb 2018
That also happened to me in the spring season of 2018, that's why I read manga now.
Jan 5, 2019 2:14 PM

Feb 2010
Never happened to me, especially rather watching random youtube material than actual series. Sometimes I lean more towards other forms of entertainment for a few weeks but no matter where my interests lie I'll always rather watch a show or movie than watch random people talking about them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 5, 2019 2:17 PM

Dec 2014
You just need to take a break from anime I take a break from anime every few months and then I come back and watch a tonne of new anime
Jan 5, 2019 2:27 PM

Jan 2019
I feel the same way but I know why, in my case I don't really enjoy the anime that I'm watching, I just do it so that I have another completed anime on my list. I rarely ever enjoy airing shows as well. I'm also not good with binging as I just burn myself out.
Jan 5, 2019 2:29 PM

Jan 2013
Im going through a burnout now myself, just occupy yourself with other hobbies until anime gets back in your blood
Jan 5, 2019 2:33 PM

Jul 2017
sometimes I do too man

just quit it for a month or so and enjoy something else
when you get back the feelings would likely to be different and refreshing
Jan 5, 2019 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
I mean when i first started watching back in 2014 I could complete up to 12 series a month and some would be like 50+ eps. Then you take a look at 2018 and I think i completed around 12 titles for the entire year...

I just lacked motivation and kept distracting myself with other things. You'll end up coming back to it when you're in the mood,
Jan 5, 2019 4:39 PM
May 2017
You're probably burned out. It's happen to me too. I would suggest watching other shows that might interest you outside of anime. Eventually, you'll find something that makes you want to watch anime again.
Jan 5, 2019 7:28 PM

Nov 2018
What #32 said. I burned out just like you for probably two or three years and hardly watch almost any but VNs and games. You just want something else other than anime for now.
Jan 5, 2019 7:32 PM

Aug 2018
I used to actually keep up with several series at the same time.

legit this year I don't think I actually consistently followed a single series lmaoo

although the majority of the anime in 2018 was pretty lame so there's nothing interesting anymore
Jan 5, 2019 8:04 PM

Dec 2016
It happens to everyone at some time. Best you can do is just taking a long break from anime for a while.
Jan 5, 2019 8:17 PM

Feb 2012
People say it's a phase, but there's also a very real possibility it's not, at least not the kind of phase you go back to. You could try waiting and when you come back there's a chance things will be just like before... for a couple days. I'd say you need to rethink your way of doing things and be realistic about it. For me, VNs, games, music, fanart etc have kept me around the hobby and probably gave me much bigger perspective of it. Other than many fresh IPs and "experiencing the source", this has given me liberty to enjoy the stories or lack of them in a more active and free-paced manner. That might not work for everyone and it might not be a permanent solution, but there are ways to keep at the fringe of the hobby.

Sometimes I miss the binging days, but honestly speaking I don't have a huge desire to get back to doing things like that. I always changed up my game plan and that's what I'll continue to do until I can't anymore. It's easy to come up with a plan to enjoy doing something forever, but that's also the moment it becomes boring, for me at least.
Jan 5, 2019 8:23 PM

Feb 2013
maybe anime is getting bored of you too
Jan 5, 2019 9:15 PM

Jul 2013
I'm bored of anime, that is, all these new shounen and light novel adaptations. I just can't keep up with these brand new Saturday morning cartoons and their same old, regurgitated monster of the week crap, some of us are getting real tired of these monotonous releases.

As I said before on other forums and discussion posts, I'm tired of kiddy shit, totally.
Kurt_IrvingJan 5, 2019 10:00 PM
Jan 5, 2019 9:38 PM

May 2009
PhoenixBC said:
I mean a couple months ago i would watch a show a day but now I cant be bothered.
I generally only watch a few episodes at most, every day that I do watch, and I don't watch every day.

You might just be watching stuff too fast and experiencing burnout.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 5, 2019 9:46 PM

Apr 2016
PhoenixBC said:

I watch things related to anime on youtube and go on MAL no problem but I cant actually sit down and watch an actual show.

Have any of you went through this. Is it just a phase or do I simply not enjoy watching anime anymore?

If you find something that actually intrigues you, you won't have that issue.
I for myself have it all the time. :>
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 5, 2019 9:50 PM

Aug 2018
Just quit watching anime and move on with your life.
Jan 6, 2019 4:46 AM

Jun 2017
It happened to me too. Tho my interest switched to hollywood tv series. I started watching anime after 4 months. Just take a break you will be good
Jan 6, 2019 4:55 AM

Sep 2017
Just drop the show that you can't sit through, and then move on other shows or other things. A lot of shows are just not as good as the hype claims they are. It's ok to give up on them as soon as you've lost interest.
Jan 6, 2019 5:01 AM

Oct 2015
For starters, don't watch a lot of shows all at once and maybe try out other things you haven't tried before. I believe watching the same things burns you out too quickly especially harems,fantasies, etc. which follow a formula that could get old after quite some time. I also find rewatching your favorite anime to be helpful.
Jan 6, 2019 5:05 AM

Dec 2018
I dint watch almost any anime at all between 2015 to November 2018 ,Now i have restarted my drive and my fire is brighter then ever beaus i have find a new passion Yuri

You cant force it, the passion and drive is there or its not , take a step back and let come back to you,at least that work t for me now i watching more anime then ever
Jan 6, 2019 11:30 AM
Jan 2019
Ah :) so I've been watching and obsessing over anime all my life, but became aware of anime and manga from when I was about 13. When I was a teenager I'd watch about 10 to 20 episodes each day. When I was about 16/17 I went through my first phase of being bored with anime. I thought I was growing up and that I'd lost interest. I watched a few things here and there but not as much as before. When I entered my twenties I started watching more again and now I just follow seasonal anime. Sometimes there just isn't anything up my ally for a while and I watch older anime shows that have slipped through/that I've missed. But yeah I have phases where I'm compleeetely manga and anime obsessed and phases where my obsession is a bit on the down low ^^ I have other hobbies too so sometimes other things have my attention a bit more. It's probably just normal ^^
Jan 6, 2019 11:35 AM

Aug 2018
You can't be getting bored of something you never started, get out of here pleb and never come back.
Jan 6, 2019 11:40 AM

Oct 2017
Come back when you feel like it and go at a slower pace. A show a day is pretty damn fast.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Jan 6, 2019 5:31 PM

Oct 2010
I am in this stage like for 3 years and I am still searching for a cure, I know how you feel because you want to watch anime but for some reason is not the same anymore. The only thing I did last year is trying to make those popular challanges out there in MAL. I tried the popular 2018 challange and at least I watched some more but I didn't finnish the challange though. Anime is not the only thing I watch, but I always want to come back but at times I failed. This is normal in any media but for some reason we want to come back and feel like before, anyway, I see things change with the time maybe you can come back later or not, but just do what you want. At least give it a try of challanges when you feel in the mood to motivate you a little. At least that is what I did because I am in this stage for a long time.
darkuriaJan 6, 2019 5:37 PM

Jan 6, 2019 5:39 PM
May 2009
It is part of the cycle. Every time some of us drop out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 45 minutes ago

14 by this_shit_again »»
2 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 7 hours ago

22 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

14 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
6 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

133 by LoveLikeBlood »»
7 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

62 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.