Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 4, 2019 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That opening song "shadowgraph" by MYTH&ROID is definitely unique even with the stylish fan service in it. ED theme song is catchy too.

Boogiepop immediately shows up in the opening minutes and I find the character to be very mysterious (although also displaying some human-like behavior) There's themes related to human behavior that I thought are pretty interesting. Seems like a set up episode for the main concept of the show. I think the exploration of human psyche and nature could also make this show a dark horse. Damn right the world is filled with mistakes.

Also found the animation quality to be solid so far with some of the realistic backgrounds.
Stark700Jan 4, 2019 6:35 AM
Jan 4, 2019 4:45 AM
Nov 2016
Absolutely stunning show so far. Definitely going to follow this one as a huge fan of Psychological media.
Jan 4, 2019 4:58 AM
Nov 2015
where is it airing? I can't see it on funi, crunchyroll or amazon so far
Jan 4, 2019 5:35 AM
Apr 2012
Lusuki said:
This a sequel? Do I need to watch the old first?

Nope. The old one is in some ways sequel to this anime.
Jan 4, 2019 5:42 AM
Oct 2017
For people who are confused already. Don't worry. It will all makes sense later.
Except like Echoes. Kind Of. Sort Of. You know just continue the show.
Jan 4, 2019 5:45 AM
Sep 2016
Lusuki said:
This a sequel? Do I need to watch the old first?

No, it's not a sequel. This is the first anime adaptation of the novels starting from the beginning

The old one (Boogiepop Phantom) was an anime original entry that takes place in the same world but in between the chronology of the novels (starting from after the first novel which is what this anime's adapting)...It had been released with a live action movie adaptation of Boogiepop and others way back then (which is what we're getting an anime of now) so people watching didn't have context if they hadn't read the novels or seen the movie

Long story short : No, It's not a sequel and you don't need to watch the old one first.
Might even be a better idea to watch the old one after this
1.1.Six
Jan 4, 2019 6:55 AM

Feb 2012
Solid episode, love the sound direction of kensuke ushio in some the scenes.

Defiantly gonna finish this to the end.
Jan 4, 2019 6:58 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Really love the tone of this series and what's even better is that the OP and ED both match it imo

I'm NGL though, I was expecting a lot more to happen in this episode, but I guess they decided to just spend time introducing us to Boogiepop, explaining the concept behind him and what I'm guessing to be the overarching threat of this first arc

So far I can say that I definitely like Boogiepop as a character and even though Keiji wasn't great, he wasn't bad either so hopefully he gets more room to grow as the series goes on (IF he's still in it since I hear that this series is kinda episodic in nature)

Good start overall though, I got a lot of questions left so I can't wait to get answers as the series progresses....Also, the visuals aren't the best but they're good enough for my liking so I can deal
Jan 4, 2019 7:03 AM

Jan 2015
Ehhh, ok I’ll avoid talking about the bad animation, which is something I wasn’t expecting from Mad House

This episode had some weird direction if you ask me, not in a good way tho, plus there are many things I don’t get (I think that’s a problem of the manga) and well, all in all, quite a a bad-average episode.
Hopefully it will get better
XenocrisiJan 4, 2019 7:06 AM
Jan 4, 2019 7:04 AM

Dec 2014
Hmm, I guess if I had to say something I'd say the episode was strange but in a way kinda unique too.

We got introduced to Boogiepop and some myths behind him(her?) but what makes this episode stand out as strange to me is that Boogiepop initially says that the world is in danger and later towards the end, he(she?) says that it isn't anymore and it's been taken care of.

What also stood out to me as strange was that Takeda seemed far too close to Boogiepop by the end of the episode even call him(her?) a friend.
When you add the gruesome scenes that are sporadically flashed of the episode it gets even more strange, it's almost as though we're seeing the prologue and the epilogue at the same time.

I guess we'll learn more later but I'm looking forward to more of this. Looks like this will be an interesting show just as I thought after watching the PV's. :)
Jan 4, 2019 7:06 AM
Apr 2016
Xenocrisi said:
Ehhh, ok I’ll avoid talking about the bad animation, which is something I wasn’t expecting from Mad House

This episode had stupid direction if you ask me, there are many things I don’t get (I think that’s a problem of the manga) and well, all in all, quite a a bad-average episode.

This is the type of series where slowly by the end you will get the big picture of what's happening. If you don't understand things, that's because they're deliberately keeping it in the dark.
Jan 4, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2018
I’m intrigued.
Jan 4, 2019 7:09 AM

Jan 2015
Tsukizono said:
Xenocrisi said:

This episode had stupid direction if you ask me, there are many things I don’t get (I think that’s a problem of the manga) and well, all in all, quite a a bad-average episode.

This is the type of series where slowly by the end you will get the big picture of what's happening. If you don't understand things, that's because they're deliberately keeping it in the dark.

Yeah yeah I know. In fact I’m still positive about the series, I was just criticizing this single episode because it wasn’t the best introduction I’ve ever seen to a series I guess and there were some things that didn’t convince me
Jan 4, 2019 7:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting first episode!

It was eventless pretty much except for the flashbacks to the crime scenes every now and then, but it really managed to draw me in with the mystery and the general atmosphere. Boogiepop’s voice sounds so cool too, really liking her character so far! I wonder what she said to the wobbly man there though. Op and ED are really catchy, I must say! Animation could be better but it’s notjing horrendous to turn me off.

Looking forward to seeing what the next episodes have in store for us!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 4, 2019 7:20 AM

Jan 2018
Really interesting, but definitely not what I was expecting coming into this anime. This will probably be quite a deep anime in terms of the story so I'm excited. Good opening as well.
Jan 4, 2019 7:23 AM

Dec 2018
I liked the music but the art was god awful and what tf happened the the "man-eater"? this episode literally wasted my time, Im disappointed. The only reason why I didnt rate this episode a 0/5 was because of the opening song and ending song.
Jan 4, 2019 7:26 AM

Jan 2009
well thats interesting so Boogiepop manifest as a split personality eh and she awakens once there is world danger
Jan 4, 2019 7:30 AM

Sep 2011
I know nothing going in only that there was a 2000 adaption and that I don't need to watch it.

It's 'one of those' animations when sometimes they don't bother animate/draw the full face of a not so important characters such as in the school setting, which is fine but what I didn't like was when they were in Shibuya and the background characters were not so background but close to the main and they were faceless. That's rather jarring for me. At least they were coloured in I guess.

I do love Madhouse animation but this seems to be in the lower scale of their series which I have seen before from them.

With the story or what we got from it, I am very intrigued so I will watch episode 2.
Jan 4, 2019 7:41 AM

Aug 2013
Surprisingly interesting. Character animation was godawful in most places but general art wasn't that bad. Nice shading and backgrounds.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 2019 7:46 AM

Oct 2017
It's an okay adaptation I guess. To me, they change a bit too much.

I'll keep my hopes high despite the fact that I am little bit disappointed by the first episode. I really really love Boogiepop series pls Madhouse do a good job.
Jan 4, 2019 7:52 AM

Apr 2016
hoaxpwn said:
I liked the music but the art was god awful and what tf happened the the "man-eater"? this episode literally wasted my time, Im disappointed. The only reason why I didnt rate this episode a 0/5 was because of the opening song and ending song.

About the man-eater, you'll get what's happening when they introduce the other characters' POV. I agree with you about the awful animation though
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2019 7:57 AM
Jul 2015
Very disappointed with the poor animations, especially at the beginning of the episode. Everything else was okay/good, the music was really interesting. I think I'll wait for more episodes to judge.
Jan 4, 2019 8:16 AM
Jan 2018
Can anyone explain to me how Madhouse, studio behind One-Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Death Note, Death Parade and many more, amazingly animated series, could have done such a poor job? Sceneries look fine, same goes for the opening, which could be the best part of the show so far, but what about everything else?
Music was very climatic, dialogues sometimes didn't make sense or felt unnatural and the first episode was a rather confusing experience, but...
Let's see how it goes from now on.
TorishiroJan 4, 2019 8:19 AM
Jan 4, 2019 8:32 AM
Jan 2018
Never read the LN but it looks like some parts where either sped up or cut especially near the end where he talking to boogiepop like they have been hanging out
Jan 4, 2019 8:37 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Quite the haunting OP. Boogiepop's first actions was impressive. Still to think that Boogiepop is a split persona of Touka though how interesting. Looks like Suema has quite the interest into the mindset of killers. Hmm as first episodes go it did well in introducing the setting and the supernatural powers that Boggiepop had. The blend of a school based setting with a psychological one was also rather interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2019 8:49 AM

Apr 2011
Weird to see old characters with new faces/character designs, but this was interesting. I liked the OP.
Jan 4, 2019 8:57 AM

Jul 2013
I don't read the novel and watch the old anime. This episode is just like another puberty syndrome anime for me. Just let her to be Sakuta's harem and the problem would be solved. It's still early to judge tho, just wait for the second episode.
にゃす!
Jan 4, 2019 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Haven't read the LNs so I'm just confused for the moment. Hopefully future episodes will fill me in. Im not generally attracted too much to mystery, but we will see where this goes.

Not sure how I feel about the animation/art style.. but as for the story, the dude got attached to Boogiepop awfully fast didn't he? He saw her like twice and then when she said she was going to disappear he got all emotional, which didn't seem to jive with how they were trying to portray his character the rest of the episode, so that was odd...

Anyways, ill watch a few more episodes for now..
Jan 4, 2019 9:03 AM
Sep 2018
CrimsonTsuki said:
Haven't read the LNs so I'm just confused for the moment. Hopefully future episodes will fill me in. Im not generally attracted too much to mystery, but we will see where this goes.

Not sure how I feel about the animation/art style.. but as for the story, the dude got attached to Boogiepop awfully fast didn't he? He saw her like twice and then when she said she was going to disappear he got all emotional, which didn't seem to jive with how they were trying to portray his character the rest of the episode, so that was odd...

Anyways, ill watch a few more episodes for now..

There were actually a few time skips.
Jan 4, 2019 9:05 AM
Mar 2017
The mysterious tone kept me intrigued, Boogiepop seems to be a kind of guardian who cares for humanity when he is in danger, but his way of manifesting is quite interesting, using a person's body I did not expect, I thought he copied the appearance of the person, but in short quite interesting.
The OP is quite awesome, MYTH & ROID continues to do an incredible job, it was also my pleasure and the ED did not stay behind, it is quite calm, both OP and ED accompany the mysterious plot that this anime has.
I think the following episodes will have more development, I personally felt that this episode was an introduction to future events and leave the mysterious and dark atmosphere that this anime has.
Jan 4, 2019 9:27 AM

Jun 2016
Everyone but Boogie Pop herself bored me. At least the protagonist who was pretty much a blank slate / observer type character showed some depth even if I don't fully grasp it. He seems to have a big connection to Miyashita as she was the one he was trying to get into contact with the whole time. And, I think like Boogie Pop said to Takeda he was trying to "fix" her at first but ended up actually creating a friendship with her. He didn't want her to go in the end and with her lines about how he has to solve the problems in his life regarding society stopping dreams and thinking about the future maybe he started to view her as a personal saviour of sorts. I really can't say for sure though, his development stumped me when I first saw it.

There was definitely a lot of world building going on. Their school prohibits "social media things" and dating. The school girl said that that one girl wanted to escape from her finals despite the fact that she could make it into any school she wanted, more rejection of the future there. There's definitely a lot going on but I felt I had a good grasp of it until the end where the problem was said to be solved.

There's also a confusion for me with girls running away and girls being killed, I was under the interpretation the ones running away were actually being killed by the man-eater but they seem to be different groups since the girls know about both.

I was actually expecting the initial friend Takeda walked up with to be the Kirima, the girl they thought was the murderer, only for Kei to be the real man-eater who is killing the girls because she had a big slightly uncomfortable presence for someone who didn't seem all that important. So, I thought we'd have a red herring with Kirima and then a fight with Kei but none of that happened and Boogie Pop left. Weird.

And Boogie Pop explained herself to be something that may have formed from Miyashita's desires but in reality she is a possibility of the world who came out to stop humanities destruction and she lacks autonomy. As in she's forced to act the way she does and fight off danger and make society good I assume from her words at the start. She's pretty smug and mysterious.

A man-eater in the school if not stopped will grow to destroy humanity, filled with lots of messages and criticisms about society and a world built to stop certain freedoms. And messages about escapism. Something about this series makes me think it will be heavy on symbolism.

Lol, so basically I followed along until the end and then I got very lost. Oh well, I can't say I'm sold on the story or characters but the background art, directing, and music are all fantastic. I loved how it cut together Takeda talking to Boogie Pop and learning more about her only to come back and ask her more questions.
Jan 4, 2019 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Incredible anime, I hope this gets really big.
Jan 4, 2019 9:35 AM

Jun 2014
Not sure how to feel about this show just yet, but it seems interesting so far. Might have to give this a re-watch to fully grasp whats going on since things are pretty ambiguous at the moment.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 4, 2019 9:36 AM
Sep 2016
I’m already impressed, most of all by the music. Produced by agraph!! From Koe no Katachi!! Hauntingly perfect for a psychological horror series
Jan 4, 2019 9:39 AM
Oct 2015
It was a pretty good episode..
I'm intrigued about Boogiepop..

The animation reminds me of Parasyte, especially the school uniform. Takeda sort of looks like Shinichi.

Wow! There are so many 'waifu' materials in this anime. Kirima Nagi was gorgeous, bet she's somewhat crucial to the story.

So, Boogiepop is Miyashita's split personality... Or is she??

Ushio's music was amazing. Been a huge fan of him, after watching Devilman: Crybaby.
Also, solid direction from Natsume(will miss him a lot in OPM S2).
Jan 4, 2019 9:45 AM
Sep 2018
Ok first episode, i'm going into this blind i did read that i don't have to watch the previous work to watch this. Can't say i'm impresed with anything shown this episode but there wasen't anything off-putting either.
Jan 4, 2019 9:46 AM

Apr 2015
Not a bad first episode, a great start, albeit confusing a bit but at the same time easy to follow if you pay attention.

A lot of still shots tho, but animation wise it is pretty good I guess.
Jan 4, 2019 9:46 AM

Mar 2017
I didn't really get the first ep but i'm assuming it's either something to be revealed in the series or something from the 2000 series...
I liked it though, seems like it's gonna be dark af
Jan 4, 2019 9:47 AM
Mar 2016
Damn I need that full op ASAP.

Anyways love the soundtrack and eerie atmosphere. I hope all the confusing stuff will come together later on.
Jan 4, 2019 9:53 AM

Feb 2016
Soo... let me get this straight.

Main character's a guy named Takeda. The girl he was gonna go on a date with suddenly got possessed by a being called Boogiepop who appears to stop justice or something along those lines. Boogiepop comforted a crying disheveled man that most people simply looked away from (which I assume is some sort of social commentary and possibly one of the main themes of the show). Boogiepop specifically came to fight a man-eater who's in one of the students. We find out that a few girls are "running away"/disappearing, Boogiepop is also the name of a rumored killer, and that Kirima Nagi might also be a killer.

Boogiepop then announces that the problem got fixed on its own, so now he/she/it's gotta disappear since he/she/it's now useless. Takeda doesn't like this because he knows that there are still problems. Boogiepop responds by telling him that they've got to fix their own problems. (I'm not exactly sure how to interpret Boogiepop's line). Boogiepop disappears causing, in turn, Takeda's date to come back. Kirima Nagi, possible murderer, seems to recognize Takeda's date.

Is there any important detail I missed?

I felt like this was the kinda show I have to listen closely to (just like Kara no Kyoukai).
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Jan 4, 2019 10:49 AM

May 2015
In spite of that the title is "Boogiepop Never Laughs", she actually laughed at 11:06.
IshitatesoJan 4, 2019 11:18 AM
Jan 4, 2019 11:31 AM

Aug 2017
The start was ok and the mystery is good.

My only complaint is the animation.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 4, 2019 11:51 AM

Feb 2015
The OP was unsurprisingly phenomenal, I mean, it's MYTH & ROID what else would you expect. But that ED was unprecedentedly fire, goddamn.

7/10
Jan 4, 2019 12:11 PM

Jan 2016
A confusing start for sure, reminds me a bit of Occultic;Nine if anyone remembers that.
Animation wasn't too good, and the male character was quite boring, but hopefully we'll get more into his character.
What I do find interesting, however, is that I don't believe we hear anyone's thoughts this episode, everything we learn is through dialogue.
Jan 4, 2019 12:24 PM
Jan 2017
Kinda confused but also kinda interested. Hope this is gonna be a fun ride :)
Jan 4, 2019 12:56 PM

Aug 2015
Eeeh, what? That was confusing and felt really rushed. How come all the students know about Boogiepop? Why does MC get so mad about BP leaving? Why is he so casual about the whole thing? He didn't know shit about Boogiepop's existence before but now he's suddenly all like "no the danger is still here"... huh?? Is this scene the ending and we've just done a timeskip? If so they did a really bad job at showing this. And why did we get the "it was nice being friends with you" talk? They met like two times. Also what's up with the mediocre animation? I thought Madhouse ditched One Punch Man for this.

Episode 1 was a big MEH. Let's see if ep 2 can make up for it.
JokucJan 5, 2019 9:04 AM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 4, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2012
This was weird. Intriguing though. Probably would have dropped it if the 2nd episode wasn't already out.

Animation is quite average. The voice acting of Boogiepop was strange. A bit forced? Or maybe he's supposed to sound like that...
Jan 4, 2019 1:58 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Man, this was really good stuff. Art, mood, character designs, OP, ED, the works. The MC is a bit meh, but he has to function as our eye in the world so I guess its ok. I can see in the comments though that some people are already impatient and not giving a 'slow burn' show like this time to develop. A shame really because this has so much potential.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 4, 2019 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
A very interesting first episode! If I got things right...

> There is a man-eater monster in that school, and it is eating girls. Some girls are saying that the "killer" is Boogiepop himself (herself? Itself? lol), but they also suspect a classmate.
> Boogiepop was there to defeat the man-eater monster who is a threat to all humanity.
> We see a glimpse of Boogiepop with one of the victims, and later on he(?) says that he is going to disappear because someone else already took care of the monster, and his existence there is no longer needed.

I have more questions than answers, but I'm certainly interested.
Jan 4, 2019 2:34 PM
Apr 2016
Don’t get the bad animation complaints. Felt stiff at times, but nothing suck out to me as “bad”
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.