Forum Settings
Forums

Delete MAL accounts that haven't logged in for MORE THAN 6 MONTHS

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Poll: automatically delete accounts that haven't logged in for 6 months

Jul 30, 2019 2:48 PM
I can't say I agree. I started my account when I was like 16 and I have been pretty inactive the last two years soooooooo I'm really glad that now that I have time to get back into anime that my account is still here

Jul 31, 2019 5:10 PM

imaging not logging in for 6 months and see all your progress being deleted... if i ever stopped watching anime I still would want to be proud for all the anime I watch in all those years

Feb 11, 4:53 AM

This is an absolutely horrible idea, do not even suggest it as a joke please and this thread should have never been opened. MyAnimeList is a database of anime and manga, it is a timeless site and accounts should never have expiration date, users can return after years and there should never be an unwilling change of their username just because someone else wants to steal it, everyone has their own schedule.

Modified by Kirikagure, Feb 12, 12:55 AM

Feb 11, 5:24 AM

You funny little jester. Oh stop with that adorable sense of humor will u? What if u got sick for a year, and got back forgetting every title u've watched? Don't damn blabber why MAL is trash when democracy could not have worked with ignorance.
. . .

Feb 11, 6:50 AM

@Kineta She save my life by delete account :)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Feb 11, 6:57 AM

Ardanaz said:
why tho

I see absolutely 0 reason to do this aside from clearing up names. If the names are all we care about, could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.

Hey there! Who can I contact to change someone's name? There's a user by the name of "karkki" who hasn't logged in since 2011. I would like to have that name, so I don't have to use this underscore anymore. I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me out!

Feb 11, 7:42 AM

After a certain amount of time names should be changed to a random string of numbers and letters and the user will get an email that their account name has been changed due to inactivity, so they're still able to log in if they wish. There's no benefit to having people's profiles wiped off entirely, especially since people might find nostalgia in looking over their old account and people might like looking at regulars of years past who don't go on anymore.

Feb 12, 2:13 AM

I have no problem with changing old user's name at all but other stored data shouldn't be touched if the user isn't confirmed spambot or up-/downvoting account.
I can bet the pants I'm wearing right now that all the people saying that it can't be hard to remake an account wouldn't be able to be 100% accurate themselves unless they've seen less than 10 anime. Back when I was new to MAL, even months after registration, I would find anime that I already watched but couldn't remember its name or find it via genre search.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?

Feb 12, 7:45 AM

I do think accounts that have been inactive for a long period of time should indeed be deleted. But 6 months is a too short of a time period to do so.

This website has been active since 2004, users that haven't logged in since 2010 should just be deleted, maybe a warning can be sent out first and give the user a time of let's say 1 year to login, give a second warning that lasts 6 months and after no activity delete those users.

And maybe reviews/forum posts of those non-active users should just be posted in a separate thread or something so that ''the memories are sort of saved''
Modified by Junelovesanime, Feb 12, 8:10 AM
“Please let me believe in everything you believed in. Let me believe that life is great.” - Kanade Tachibana (Angel Beats!)

Feb 14, 1:55 PM

Accounts shouldn't be deleted at all, honestly.

The only thing I agree about "inactive accounts" is that usernames should be given up. For example, WoW frees up names from inactive accounts that haven't logged in for at least two expansions, so I figured something like that could be done for MAL. Maybe every 1-2 years?

Feb 14, 2:08 PM

I couldnt agree abt this, i have been inactive for almost 1 years.
Deleting MAL account? Im not really happy abt it. :(

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Feb 14, 9:20 PM

I don't agree although i see both sides. what if said inactive person came back on after 6 months or so only to see their account deleted. sometimes people can get caught up in life or are taking a break

Yesterday, 10:20 AM

lmao really...I often times don't use my account for six months and then come back. Not everyone is active all of the time nor do they need to be. I can see if someone has not been active for multiple years but six months is way too short a time period.
Modified by Seven, Yesterday, 7:49 PM

Yesterday, 10:29 AM
I think deleting them is a bit to harsh but maybe having there scores not affect the global score might be a better idea? A probably extend that 6 months to a year.

Yesterday, 3:55 PM
She Hug

karkki_ said:
Ardanaz said:
why tho

I see absolutely 0 reason to do this aside from clearing up names. If the names are all we care about, could always do something where usernames get changed to some random name like User162423 or whatever after like 3 years of inactivity.

Hey there! Who can I contact to change someone's name? There's a user by the name of "karkki" who hasn't logged in since 2011. I would like to have that name, so I don't have to use this underscore anymore. I'd greatly appreciate if you could help me out!

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1430734&show=3200#msg55367788

The situation hasn't changed, apparently.

Yesterday, 7:59 PM
no, this is beyond stupid. If I get busy with something else in my life i may go a stretch of even a year of not logging any anime (and perhaps maybe hardly watching any either) this doesnt mean my list of hundreds of anime should just up and vanish because i failed to log in.....otherwise what is the point of this list? The absolute only thing this change would make is to encourage everyone to move to a more permanent site to log their anime and not use mal instead....

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]