Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2018 9:09 PM

Oct 2018
Like, y'know anime or manga that are utter garbage but you found yourself laughing at it, not limited to stuff that everyone knows is bad but good but whatever you found bad but good if that makes sense.

Do you rate it positively because you enjoyed it, or negatively because it's bad? Or do you just not rate it?

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Dec 28, 2018 9:13 PM
May 2016
i haven't watched too many "so bad it's good" anime, but i thoroughly enjoyed watching hametsu no mars and gave it a 1/10. so yea, i rate negatively
Dec 28, 2018 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
I don't believe in "so bad it's good" shows. It just seems like a way to say you like a show without saying you actually like it. I think there's no point in playing that game. Who am I trying to prove myself to?
Dec 28, 2018 9:17 PM

May 2015
By how good it does the bad of course.

Bad done bad = Bad
Bad done good = Good

Bonus points if the anime is being self-aware
TarotistDec 28, 2018 9:21 PM
Dec 28, 2018 9:32 PM

Feb 2018
I could sweat blood from laughing so much, but if an anime is bad it evaluates as if it were bad.
Dec 28, 2018 9:36 PM

May 2014
Idk it really depends, but usually not very high.
Dec 28, 2018 9:45 PM

Jul 2017
It'd be rated higher than it could've been, but not high enough to be considered good

Like for instance Conception, I rated it a 5 even though it deserves a 3 at best, but that's because personally, that show fit the so bad so good criteria for me
Dec 28, 2018 9:53 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I rate them in two different ways:

- 6, which is the average of 10 and 1 plus half a point. E.g. Kakumeiki Valvrave, Mahou Shoujo Site, Selector Infected WIXOSS; or

- I don't rate them. Their meme level is over my rating capabilities. E.g. Eromanga Sensei, Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd season, Happy Sugar Life.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Dec 28, 2018 10:08 PM

Jul 2014
If its bad its bad simple as that. If your making fun of it you're still not enjoying the series. It has just become so much of a joke it isn't even worth any legit criticism. I roasted the whole Jurassic world movie from start to finish when I watched, a fun time indeed but overall still hated the movie and have no interest in it.
Dec 28, 2018 10:11 PM

Mar 2015
It's either not rated or a 6.

I've only ever encountered a couple anime like this though (Ousama Game and Onii-chan no koto, etc?)
woah there
Dec 28, 2018 11:23 PM

Sep 2012
BackstageMage said:
Like, y'know anime or manga that are utter garbage but you found yourself laughing at it, not limited to stuff that everyone knows is bad but good but whatever you found bad but good if that makes sense.

Do you rate it positively because you enjoyed it, or negatively because it's bad? Or do you just not rate it?

in my case, i sometime find anime rated 6 or below.. but i enjoy it so i rate the anime based on enjoyment and the satisfying feeling i get from each anime.. don't let people opinion force you to give bad or good rating just do it your way... if its good for you than rate it fairly and don't do it because many people did...

also many accounts are inactive in MAL maybe you will find person who watched 1 anime or few to just boost the anime rate if they think its too good to be below top 50 or rate anime with 1 to drop the anime from the top list..

Dec 28, 2018 11:37 PM

May 2016
Mahou Shoujo Site may be one of the best "comedies" I've seen; it's so bad I never get tired of watching it to laugh at its attempts at being dark and mature. However, it's still shit, so I rated it a 1 even though it made me laugh so much I've even rewatched it.

Same goes for Mars of Destruction.

So, to answer the question, I still rate it a 1 like if they didn't have the "So Bad It's Good" part specially since at the end numbers really can't fully describe your feelings toward a show.
Dec 28, 2018 11:40 PM

Feb 2015
Badly, since it's most likely not what the show was initially going for. I just tag it or remember that it was enjoyable to watch.
Dec 29, 2018 3:41 AM

May 2018
"How do you rate "So bad it's good" stuff?"
With 4/10 or less.

There aren't many of those (usually the industry produces only bad stuff not remarkably bad) so they are easy to remember without special markings.
alshuDec 29, 2018 3:44 AM
Dec 29, 2018 8:17 AM

Apr 2014
i rate them as if they are good and not bad
Dec 29, 2018 8:22 AM

Feb 2010
Bad stuff gets bad scores, but if it makes me laugh involuntarily I'm gonna give it the 'rarer' bad scores in the lower end because being so bad it's good is more than JUST being bad.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 29, 2018 8:28 AM

Aug 2017
Just copied my profile, (my english is bit bad)

◍ My main view on how to critique:
It's nearly same as Maslow's pyramid. Everything has a base what makes us create , think , study , laugh etc. So in anime the base is the main idea main emotions and their purpose. If something that you are creatings base is durable enough you can keep adding on the base: characters , suspense , world , designs , music , ambiance , uniqueness , occurances etc. If you make the top parts of the pyramid dense and heavy and if the base is'nt durable to handle the heavy part , the pyramid would fall off because the base would dissappear in the cluster or densness of addings and uses. So that you have to make the top parts from less dense materials to make the pyramid stay in one piece.(notheanimelol) Thats when mostly the characters , music , world etc. decreases in quality because the base is'nt well built enough. The idea and emotions must be denser than everything that you want to add to the top to achive your goal succesfuly. If you want to make your pyramid seen from further distances you can add more height and use more materials , make replicas and add flashy stuff to your pyramid. But It takes effort and most the people try to be seen as much as they can. Thats when effort and time mostly goes to waste. Neons and height depends on base. How big and dense your base is , the longer you can make your pyramid , more attention and more the pyramid will be seen by more entellectual community. If humans can improve from their faults (monotone and similar plots , characters , fanservice , forced meaningless emotions etc..) the anime films , series and Hollywood films etc. would be at European film quality mostly...

╼ What is important in anime?
İmportancy order:
♚- idea, uniqeness and purpose 3 pts.
♛- how the anime shows us the idea and is it improving? (execution) 3 pts max.
♞- characters and world design (and if it does'nt have incoherent fanservice) 2 pts max.
♝- aesthetics , animation , art , music and ambience accordance 2 pts max.
♟- extra features and humor. 1 point max.

the max point makes 11/10 but that would mean the ideal anime for my system.I try to write some of the flaws of the anime in my anime list.
the scoring system changes to animes' genre. But not much.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ _Open to criticism._ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 29, 2018 8:31 AM

Feb 2018
Depends on what makes me enjoy it, sometimes I enjoy getting mad about a terrible show like boruto, but because my enjoyment is due to my own anger i give the show a low rating.
But on the other hand shows that are so stupid that you can't help but enjoy them get a higher rating from me, depending on how much I enjoyed them.
Dec 29, 2018 8:33 AM

Nov 2016
Same as anything else after you value how much good it done for you. Your connection to a piece the of art is the only thing you should rate it on and that goes the same for enjoying the crappienss of a show. If you enjoy it, if you can connect on a level with it to the point where it was a positive experience you rate it highly. No matter how 'good' you think it is in terms of quality. That's only the foundation for enjoyment and has proved to work. There will always be exceptions.
Dec 29, 2018 8:33 AM
May 2015
A solid 5 cause it's so bad but so good xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2016
Pullman said:
Bad stuff gets bad scores, but if it makes me laugh involuntarily I'm gonna give it the 'rarer' bad scores in the lower end because being so bad it's good is more than JUST being bad.

I see it pretty much like this as well.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2018 9:01 AM

Aug 2016
never. good stuff are good, bad stuff are bad and fun things are fun
:v
Dec 29, 2018 10:01 AM

Nov 2017
"So bad it's good" is non-existent to me. If it's bad, I just rate it lower.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

So many anime, So little time!

Dec 29, 2018 10:06 AM

Oct 2013
I mean if the show good in any shape or form in my opinion Ill give it a good score
pretty simple really
Dec 29, 2018 12:58 PM

Aug 2016
If the so bad it's good show does it in an entertaining way, then I'm going to give it a higher score than a show that's so bad but has no redeeming qualities.

That doesn't mean I will give a score on the positive end of the spectrum. It gets a 5 at best

Those are really rare scenarios though.
Dec 29, 2018 1:15 PM

Jun 2008
I rate based on enjoyment so if a show that i think is bad, and i don't like, still have moments that makes me laugh because of have bad it is then that will make me up the score a little.
Dec 29, 2018 1:22 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don't really have that type. Like I know what you're talking about but something like "Back Street Girls" which everyone hates because the style is something I find utterly charming and the crudeness in it's art and choppy animation makes it more valuable then if it was highly produced. All in all if the elements work for that comedy or presentation then I can't see it as "bad" for the score.
Dec 29, 2018 1:25 PM

Mar 2017
A bad show that's entertaining purely because of how bad it is is still a bad show.

I wish I could give my anime list two kinds of rating side-by-side though: one numerical to indicate my general score for them and one with emoji (lol, happy, meh, eh, disgust) to indicate my enjoyment.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Dec 29, 2018 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
"So bad its good" usually gets like... a 3 from me.

So bad its good > normal bad

I've yet to give anything a 1/10 though. I'm pretty nice with my ratings, and even my least favorite anime, one I hate with fiery passion, I gave a 2/10 cause I could tell some amount of effort went into it, and I can understand why one might hate is less than me. It'll really take A LOT for an anime to achieve 1/10.
Dec 29, 2018 4:38 PM

Oct 2014
I consider enjoyment to be one factor so if it was really entertaining it might get a 5 or 6, but most shitty yet funny anime I rate lower than that

More topics from this board

» Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Apr 8

109 by TRC_Randy »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you update the rating of anime you've already finished before? Is it an upgrade or downgrade usually?

Rinrinka - Apr 14

34 by AshuAmbrose »»
3 minutes ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 19 minutes ago

3 by AshuAmbrose »»
5 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

192 by sodaJar »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - Yesterday

45 by Styx_Thistle »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.