Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2018 10:01 AM
Aug 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Loved this! The plot twists in the race were especially good . Lol
Apr 18, 2019 8:43 AM
Mar 2015
Honestly really liked this, and my favourite animal won the race at the end so that gives it bonus points :D
Apr 30, 2019 10:56 AM

Feb 2017
https://animation.filmarchives.jp/en/works/playen/43800

I didn't expect it to be that funny, definitely the best japanese old film I've seen so far.
Jul 5, 2021 5:59 AM
Aug 2018
This is the first older Japanese film I've seen to date that I was thoroughly invested in. It genuinely made me experience the highs and lows throughout the film. My favorite moment ended up being the Javelin toss, the entire segment between the spear and the pig was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing. The race at the end was another great moment I enjoyed watching, seeing the animals having fun and the monkey and dog chasing each other made me happy. I'm so glad about the outcome of the winner, yet pretty upset about the trophy :(
Mar 31, 2022 5:22 PM

Aug 2012
Artwork and animation were quite good, especially for the time. There were some funny gags in here as well, everything with the pig I thought was funny. It being completely silent did hurt it a bit for me, not entirely fair since this is almost a century old but it's still a part of the experience that feels little vacant in modern times.

The biggest detractor for me is that the longest segment, the final race, was the worse segment. I liked the ending with how the duck won, but otherwise it was kind of boring. 5/10, could've got a 6/10 with a better final sport.
Aug 5, 2022 11:30 PM

Jun 2021
Events:
Pole Vault - Polar Bear vs. Monkey (W)
Discus Throw - Elephant (W) vs. Monkey
200 Meters Hurdles - Hare (W) vs. Pig
Javelin Throw - Monkey vs. Elephant (W)
1,500 Meters Race, Final - Camel vs. Hippo vs. Dog vs. Duck (W) vs. Monkey

Elephant 12 points, Hare 6 points, Monkey 6 points, Duck 6 points

Champion 🏆: Elephant
Sep 20, 2022 5:48 AM

May 2018
This is a good one, for a short film I really enjoyed it a lot. Especially the scene where the pig flies away, that was funny.

Elephant deserves then MVP reward.

Mar 24, 2023 1:04 PM

Dec 2021
I adored that entire anime bro I loved it and the ape. Also I died when the javelin chased that pig.
Feb 9, 12:26 AM
Nov 2023
Now this was really adorable
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.