Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 1 Discussion

Jan 11, 2:10 AM

I'm so glad I just downloaded and watched it without reading the synopsis or anything about it... I didn't even know it was going to be a isekai. I FUCKING LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 11, 3:04 AM

dayum this is looking good first episode and shit already went south

Jan 11, 3:22 AM
High Score and and more than 60% of the viewers viewed it as exceptional.

A lot of vocal whiners here in this thread but this is MAL after all we have critics with no life everywhere :P

Jan 11, 4:06 AM

Just finished watching that ep and it's really promising, good to see an isekai anime in which hero is not a goody two shoes or op from the get go. On top of that, the false accusation theme must have ruffled more than one feather among those who rarely ever get off their high horse.

Jan 11, 6:29 AM

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari wasn't in my plan to watch for this season. Never heard of this and didn't seems promising at all.
After all the fuss I give it a try and for almost 3/4 of the episode this was bad. Kakegurui xx episode 1 level shit. The lack of world building [Emoji movie level stuff] and the writting almost killed this show for me. But I liked that [predictable] plot twist at the 3/4 of the episode and the new face of the MC.
I'm gonna keep wathing this but please don't disappoint me 'cause I'll drop you without thinking twice.

5/10

Jan 11, 9:58 AM

I know most people in mal are too young/ too new in anime to know this.

But from the first 5 mins didn't anyone get heavy reference of this series from Fushigi Yûgi?

Modified by Ventus_S, Jan 11, 11:06 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 11, 10:36 AM

PS: Honestly , I don't get the high rating of this series so far.

It's laughable that literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of them believe in that women without raising any suspension, even those 3 other dudes who come from modern age with proper legal system. That "evidence" is laughably poor proof of anything.

And no-one suspect that all his gears/ money gone with only her clothes under the bed to be awfully coincidental? No-one think that he could be set up?
I find these convenient plot progression for the sake of tragedy to be abit insulting.

Also people believe a single nobody over the chosen heroes they summon lolz..
Talking about some nice treatment of the hero.
Do they really want their world to be saved or not?

6/10 series so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 11, 11:02 AM

papsoshea said:
10 minutes into shield hero, and already skull crushed with an avalanche of isekai clichés in addition of heteroclite plot elements combined together with no logic behind it - well so far. Well at least it's clearly just a stupid fun show, not really taking itself seriously until that whole Christine Blasey-Ford shit but you know, Light Novel authors have to write some crap in knowing it will cause fans of the show and SJWs to fight and work up some drama to create controversy for publicity purposes. Just another lazy way of writing to hook viewers into another generic fantasy. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

This. Can no-one tell that the writing of this series from the very beginning not good at all?
No logic in people's behavior , mc turn edgy for the sake of turning edgy, and no-one other than some side character has logical thinking.

Still somewhat fun to watch how the mc becomes op in the end, as expected from those typical isekai series. (Typical mc is kinda under-dog with handicapped setup, but ended up being strongest by using gimmick or system oversight or some weird setting author created. Been there, done that for at least 10+ isekai summon hero manga adaptation I've seen so far, nothing new here)
Modified by Ventus_S, Jan 11, 11:09 AM

Jan 11, 11:41 AM
And the word of the year in anime goes to: "Rape"

Everybody aboard the bandwagon, this anime got more edges than field of cactoids to it. What a mess...

Jan 11, 12:52 PM

antihero in 1st ep. been a while.

Jan 11, 5:23 PM

papsoshea said:
10 minutes into shield hero, and already skull crushed with an avalanche of isekai clichés in addition of heteroclite plot elements combined together with no logic behind it - well so far. Well at least it's clearly just a stupid fun show, not really taking itself seriously until that whole Christine Blasey-Ford shit but you know, Light Novel authors have to write some crap in knowing it will cause fans of the show and SJWs to fight and work up some drama to create controversy for publicity purposes. Just another lazy way of writing to hook viewers into another generic fantasy. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
That didn't make any sense.
LN authors think about the SJW?

Jan 11, 5:46 PM

Impressive first Episode
The first 20-ish Minutes left me with an unsatisfying feeling and i think everyone else could predict what would happen, but still...
great voice acting tho!

Jan 11, 6:23 PM

papsoshea said:

Shield Hero was written in 2012. I guess the author still somehow had the superhuman foresight to tap into the juicy well of publicity that is the Kavanaugh hearing and #MeToo.

Jan 11, 6:58 PM

Cabron said:
They write something they know will spark up some controversy for $$$ and have been doing it for years.

-----

SuccHunter said:

Shield Hero was written in 2012. I guess the author still somehow had the superhuman foresight to tap into the juicy well of publicity that is the Kavanaugh hearing and #MeToo.
Gone way over your head.

-----

Ventus_S said:
This. Can no-one tell that the writing of this series from the very beginning not good at all?
No logic in people's behavior , mc turn edgy for the sake of turning edgy, and no-one other than some side character has logical thinking.

Still somewhat fun to watch how the mc becomes op in the end, as expected from those typical isekai series. (Typical mc is kinda under-dog with handicapped setup, but ended up being strongest by using gimmick or system oversight or some weird setting author created. Been there, done that for at least 10+ isekai summon hero manga adaptation I've seen so far, nothing new here)
Bingo!

Jan 11, 9:09 PM

I like it. I'd say it's one of the better isekai anime. At least so far.

Jan 11, 9:18 PM

OMG WOW! I never thought this would be this great!
What a great... fantastic first episode! Glad they did a 45min episode.
Damn, i feel bad for the guy :/

I can't wait for him to find how to learn how to use his shield and get badass! And show the others.
I think that they didn't conspire against him, even the blonde guy was surprised when he threw his coins, i think they just believe the girl. But damn, what a rough and sad start.
Wish i could already see more episodes! Totally in love with this.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 11, 9:49 PM

Ventus_S said:
PS: Honestly , I don't get the high rating of this series so far.

It's laughable that literally EVERY SINGLE ONE of them believe in that women without raising any suspension, even those 3 other dudes who come from modern age with proper legal system. That "evidence" is laughably poor proof of anything.

And no-one suspect that all his gears/ money gone with only her clothes under the bed to be awfully coincidental? No-one think that he could be set up?
I find these convenient plot progression for the sake of tragedy to be abit insulting.

Also people believe a single nobody over the chosen heroes they summon lolz..
Talking about some nice treatment of the hero.
Do they really want their world to be saved or not?

6/10 series so far.

I read the web novel to its completion. Everything you mention makes absolute sense in the context of the lore... but since it's not something you know from the beginning, even in the novel, I can see how you'd feel the way you do.

If you care enough to know what I'm talking about, PM me, I'm not dropping spoilers here.

Jan 12, 6:02 AM

Was waiting for 1 year and a half after the news ...
And i'm truly happy for that. o/

Jan 12, 7:14 AM
The first episode and opening are really good!
People should just stop bitching around and just let people enjoy the anime, you have shit taste.
Its also the same shit with SAO again and again.

Jan 12, 8:58 AM
I didn't expect this to be THIS good, damn my expectations were lower than what I received. First, from what I heard, it gets really dark later on in the series, which supplements the isekai genre, really interesting and potentially not lacking that means. Looking forward to the next episode, didn't even notice that the first one is 40 minutes, time flew by fast.

Jan 12, 11:12 AM

tzarye14 said:
The lack of world building [Emoji movie level stuff] and the writting almost killed this show for me.

How much worldbuilding should first episode of anime have? What's wrong with writing?

Jan 12, 3:49 PM
Good start, I liked everything about it. Good animation, voice acting, music, interesting story. Slave trader is awesome, the face you can trust. Myne is beautiful. Baloon monsters are adorable. It reminds me the first episode of re:Zero, the quality is obvious. I am instantly hooked, reading LNs now. As good this adaptation is, the LNs are better.

There were few strange moments. Heroes demanded reward from the start but failed to negotiate it, basically they agreed that kingdom will eventually reward them somehow. Twelve adventurers started moving at exactly same moment starting with the same leg with same speed. Military units do it routinely but they are specifically trained for this. The MC lays on a bed and looks at a chandelier with four candles, then raises and blows out the fifth candle. Somehow it is enough, must be magic. But these are minor moments, very much ignorable.

Some characters seem to act strange, it will be explained later in the story. They are doing "show not tell" thing, viewers have the same information as MC and he is not well informed at this point.

Haters gonna hate, the hell with them. "No such thing as bad publicity" seems to work for anime.

Jan 12, 5:17 PM

• Animation so far is good and the story is decent. I don't expect much from this show, but i'll keep watching this.
  • I have to say, Malty is such a bitch.
Modified by pekin, Jan 12, 5:21 PM

let us dream an eternal dream while
embracing this maddeningly beloved earth

Jan 12, 6:05 PM

kinda average, nothing particularly great about the directing. i have no idea why people love watching rpg's as anime so much. just play a fuckin game if you want all this "stats" bs and levelling up. it's so lame.

what was good was seeing the mc stop acting like a cringey niceguy otaku and stop talking outloud to himself all the time (worst anime trope ever) and taking his aggression out on everything

Jan 13, 1:33 AM

One little question :
With 45 min for the first episode, the second will be out the 16th with 45 min too or not ?
In same time, do the second episode with be the second part of this first episode ?
I'm a little disturbed about this, sorry.

Jan 13, 1:53 AM

Just skimmed through comments, people are nowadays triggered over everything (every little thing). What a time we are living on ...
Was reading manga, quite a long time since started around 2 years ago i think, so was interested in anime adaptation and the first episode was pretty good. So while reading i think in most of the chapters people were praising how amazing this work (web novel) is, i mean it was good, but just so overrated.

Watching the ending scene with slave trader reminded me of the old D.Gray-man scene on the graveyard, it has been so long =/

Jan 13, 2:54 AM

Here's to hoping that the anime drastically improves on the wn.

Jan 13, 4:38 AM

Finally, a MGTOW anime.

Jan 13, 12:55 PM
Loved this anime! First episode has me hooked. The other hero’s are weenies though. Hopefully not a lot of character development on them lol.
You don’t have enough hatred

Jan 13, 1:58 PM
First episode, very predictable, I was even afraid of it, from the moment the girl joined him...

I told myself that the MC was bad (personality sometimes cliché) that he wasn't even a little suspicious, then at a later stage when we discovered his true power, that he asserted himself as a hero and that he would have a slave teammate (with whom he would forge a real bond I hope)

So I am very happy about this isekai and hype for the second épisode !
Modified by Shadrak, Jan 13, 2:02 PM

Jan 13, 2:20 PM
Is their any difference between the pre-air and aired episode other than having opening song ?

Jan 13, 2:48 PM
thepath said:
Is their any difference between the pre-air and aired episode other than having opening song ?

Subs are of much higher quality in the aired version. And I think overall, the episode looks better? Idk, all I know is that the subs are miles better

Jan 13, 3:59 PM
papsoshea said:
Cabron said:
They write something they know will spark up some controversy for $$$ and have been doing it for years.

Why? They write this stuff for Japanese people not for foreigners. This one just happened to get popular and get published from its web novel counterpart. Japan doesn't care about your feelings.

Jan 13, 3:59 PM
Great start, i liked that, i am even more interested in this premise!

I never felt comfortable with that girl joining Naofumi, i always suspected that she only wanted to steal all his belongings, and it really happened, and the other three hero, i liked them at start, but from now on they could die!

I truly felt bad for Naofumi after he realised everything, but her attitude was the best, he started from zero without nothing, as a true hero and adventurer, i am proud of him, can't wait to see him becoming strong and show everyone that he is the boss and clear his name, will be satisfying!

But it helped him to develop himself, he became cold like a badass, doing things alone, better alone instead of traitors!

Weapon shop vendor seemed to be a trustworthy character!

Looking forward to see more!

Jan 13, 4:24 PM
I've got to say, after watching the second half for the first time since i watched the first half a few months ago, i am way more into it then when i first watch it, i still wish the first half took a few more episodes to tell but otherwise great introductory episode.

The plight of the hero is great and refreshing to see in a isekai show.

I'm down for the rest of the show now.

Jan 13, 6:58 PM

Huex3 said:
papsoshea said:

Why? They write this stuff for Japanese people not for foreigners. This one just happened to get popular and get published from its web novel counterpart. Japan doesn't care about your feelings.
I'm not even offended by any of the controversies, and how did this get popular? Because of the ??? exactly. If you ain't writing sex or controversial themes, you ain't selling.

Jan 13, 9:00 PM
papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

I'm not even offended by any of the controversies, and how did this get popular? Because of the ??? exactly. If you ain't writing sex or controversial themes, you ain't selling.

I'm not saying you are offended. I'm saying they don't care about the west and you are wrong for saying the author specifically targeted controversy just to get popular. Stuff like outrage over political correctness in light novels doesn't exist in Japan excluding a rare few. I mean look at the amount of incest anime and novels there is do you really think they care about controversy in the west?

This got popular because at the time of writing around 2012, it is an original concept. Some of the isekai tropes you see came from here (The slavery trope and the "hero is betrayed by their summoner" trope).

Jan 13, 9:56 PM

Huex3 said:
papsoshea said:

I'm not saying you are offended. I'm saying they don't care about the west and you are wrong for saying the author specifically targeted controversy just to get popular. Stuff like outrage over political correctness in light novels doesn't exist in Japan excluding a rare few. I mean look at the amount of incest anime and novels there is do you really think they care about controversy in the west?

This got popular because at the time of writing around 2012, it is an original concept. Some of the isekai tropes you see came from here (The slavery trope and the "hero is betrayed by their summoner" trope).
I have seen interviews of authors (LN in particular) saying yes (GS author recently). Controversy and sex = $$$

Remove these themes from Shield Hero and it gets barely any attention from the west. Same with GS. You're making the same argument that has been regurgitated for some time now. The west has influence and it grows bigger each year. First of all, it’s important to note that the West does matter to anime/manga production and distribution. This shouldn’t have to be refuted; after all, works wouldn’t be marketed to the West if we didn’t matter. And there are many examples, this means authors/creators keep in mind what works domestically and what can garnish more attention and money internationally.

Look at the year by year data from the Association of Japanese Animations and Manga. LNs release in the West and are successful, you even got anime airing in the west before Japan in some cases. SJ's decision to move their content for an online subscription is a move that is more catered to the west. Studios are signing up with Amazon, Netflix and other companies. I am not saying the west audience is more important but saying creators don't care about the west or saying they don't specifically target controversy to get popular is absurd.

If you remove the controversial themes from Shield Hero, there wouldn't be much discussion about it here, just like GS. In the space of days after its first episode aired, more people knew about it and flocked to it based on the controversy (just like Sheild Hero), that's what sells. You can tell the intent behind it by looking at how its written into the story.

Quick edit: Of course they don't care about crybaby SJWs and their rants or much criticism from the west, but they care about their attention and $$$.
Modified by papsoshea, Jan 13, 10:03 PM

Jan 14, 4:52 AM

papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

I have seen interviews of authors (LN in particular) saying yes (GS author recently). Controversy and sex = $$$

Remove these themes from Shield Hero and it gets barely any attention from the west. Same with GS. You're making the same argument that has been regurgitated for some time now. The west has influence and it grows bigger each year. First of all, it’s important to note that the West does matter to anime/manga production and distribution. This shouldn’t have to be refuted; after all, works wouldn’t be marketed to the West if we didn’t matter. And there are many examples, this means authors/creators keep in mind what works domestically and what can garnish more attention and money internationally.

Look at the year by year data from the Association of Japanese Animations and Manga. LNs release in the West and are successful, you even got anime airing in the west before Japan in some cases. SJ's decision to move their content for an online subscription is a move that is more catered to the west. Studios are signing up with Amazon, Netflix and other companies. I am not saying the west audience is more important but saying creators don't care about the west or saying they don't specifically target controversy to get popular is absurd.

If you remove the controversial themes from Shield Hero, there wouldn't be much discussion about it here, just like GS. In the space of days after its first episode aired, more people knew about it and flocked to it based on the controversy (just like Sheild Hero), that's what sells. You can tell the intent behind it by looking at how its written into the story.

Quick edit: Of course they don't care about crybaby SJWs and their rants or much criticism from the west, but they care about their attention and $$$.

we got tons of dark LN mangas in japan and im pretty sure 90% writers there dont give a shit about controversy in west! cuz in order to reach west they need to make a popular work in japan first!

Jan 14, 5:28 AM

vipergod said:
papsoshea said:

we got tons of dark LN mangas in japan and im pretty sure 90% writers there dont give a shit about controversy in west! cuz in order to reach west they need to make a popular work in japan first!
There are many stories that were specifically made for the west, not popular in Japan and were released in America first. Not repeating.

Jan 14, 5:35 AM

papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

There are many stories that were specifically made for the west, not popular in Japan and were released in America first. Not repeating.

im talking about popular releases ! which one of Popular anime,manga,novels, were Controversial just for the sake of being controversial in west?

Jan 14, 5:40 AM

vipergod said:
papsoshea said:

im talking about popular releases ! which one of Popular anime,manga,novels, were Controversial just for the sake of being controversial in west?
Well for starters, GS, the author said it in a interview. Are we done?

Jan 14, 7:00 AM
papsoshea said:
Huex3 said:

Everyone who dreams of becoming big as an author care about attention and $$$. First you'd have to understand that this was written as a web novel in 2012. If you don't understand what that means, it means that it is free, non-professional, and in Japanese language.

They have a website (or maybe several of them) like wattpad where they submit their novels so it'll be hosted. The Rising of the Shield Hero is not intended to cater to the west.

What happened was:
1. it got popular in the Japanese site in 2013,
2. then it got published as a light novel in 2013,
3. web novel translators picked up the web novel for english translation around 2014,
4. and then it got its light novel licensed by one peace books in 2015 and released the first light novel volume on September 2015 which around that time the main story in the web novel was already done with 378 chapters along with the spear hero spin-off with 700+ chapters.

So you're telling me a novel that already finished its main story before it got its first published volume got translated and released to the west was catering to the west? The main story was already done before the west started to notice it lol.

Here is an interview with the author with One Peace Books dated September 3, 2015. SOURCE

A short interview with Aneko Yusagi - Author of The Rising of the Shield Hero by One Peace Books

Question 1: When did you first get the idea to combine gaming with writing a light novel?

Answer 1: I had the idea for a while before I started posting on a popular internet site called "shosetsuka ni narou." But before I decided to post my writing, I'd thought I was writing to too niche of a genre to receive much attention.

Note: Aneko's posts to the website referenced above received millions of views before they were collected and published in print.

Question 2: Where does the inspiration for your characters come from? Are the characters inspired by people who exist in your life?

Answer 2: My concept of the original heroes (Naofumi, Motoyasu, Ren, Itsuki) were mostly inspired by the protagonists of stories I'd read. I tried to think about characters I'd felt a connection to from an objective standpoint, then wrote about the characters from the impression I'd gotten from that line of thinking. Other characters were built out of an attempt to symbolize some character ideas I had, with some rearranging here and there.

I don't typically model characters on people I know, though the only exceptions are some of the enemy characters. There are some enemies that are very unreasonable and violent--I based them on some people I know.

Question 3: What are some of the books that inspire you?

Answer 3: I was most inspired by online games, specifically by a defense-specialized crusader character in "Ragnarok Online." It is a very powerful and dependable class, but it's virtually impossible to level one up without a party.

As for books specifically, I like to read slice-of-life mangas, or manga that feature animal protagonists.

Question 4: The main character, Naofumi, displays conflicting moral tones. He seems considerate yet often crass at the same time, to down right immoral as well, as with his laissez faire attitude toward slavery. Could you explain your intention by creating a character with rapidly wavering moral tones?

Answer 4: I like to think of Naofumi like a mirror. He responds to kindness with kindness, and to evil with evil. Like a shard from a broken mirror, he has some pointy edges, but in the end he's a sympathetic character who cares for others.

As for purchasing a slave, he was forced to do it because of his situation--he needed help from others in a time and place where no one would help him. In the modern world, were people are moved and controlled by money, company employees have a lot in common with slaves.

It is preferable to have morals, but we've made a world were the strictly ethical can no longer survive. There are a lot of people out there that simply don't respond to ethics--in the face of people like that, what option is left besides emotionally insisting on your place and your views? My intention is to show that, in the face of enemies like that, we often have no choice but to launch a counterattack.
Modified by Huex3, Jan 14, 7:05 AM

Jan 14, 7:22 AM

papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

ive seen couple of interviews from him but didn't see the one that he says he made it controversial for westerners sake, can u give me the source?

Jan 14, 8:13 AM

Oh man the other heroes are a bunch of assholes and don't even get me started on Myne what a bitch

Jan 14, 11:20 AM

papsoshea said:
vipergod said:

Mind showing these links to those sources? Not just for the GS author.

Jan 14, 6:01 PM

Are the people of that world mentally handicapped? It's a game-like "real" world set in medieval times, that means the teams are made up of various classes including a tank, what is more shields could be and were used as, not solely, but a weapon nonetheless. In Naofumi's case, he's a legendary tank with a multipurpose shield, one couldn't feel safer than being in his team. All ranged dps and healers should fight each other to be in his team... Although I have to admit, Naofumi's kinda a fool himself
Character development is my fetish
If it grows on a tree, it must be tea.
Click

Yesterday, 5:47 PM
:D

I have a lot of complaints, but I'll hold off of that. I can ignore all the small stuff if the execution is good. Luckily, I've heard a lot of good things about this.

Really glad this was a 1-hour episode, because ending at the halfway point would have left a lot of people really upset, including myself haha.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the OP and ED, and more of Kevin Penkin's OST, and especially meeting raccoon girl in the next episode!

Today, 12:47 AM
vipergod said:
papsoshea said:

ive seen couple of interviews from him but didn't see the one that he says he made it controversial for westerners sake, can u give me the source?
That shut him up fast.

Today, 1:35 AM

There are literally dozens of shows like this out there. This one stands out by having pretty good character animation and great voice acting.

For the most part it reminded me of how MMORPG players bitch because they keep getting punked for picking the wrong character class or playing it wrong--even if there are mountains of research available on the internet how to build a successful character.

He even got robbed by a super helpful character joining his party... like anyone couldn't see that coming.

Either way, summoning uncooperative assholes and hapless idiots to save your world from unimaginable ruin seems ill advised.

Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »