Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 1 Discussion


Jan 1, 12:24 PM
Intree

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 135
DigitallyUnknown said:
Where’d u watch the episode?
kickassanime.com
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jan 1, 12:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 246
seems very interesting and promising. if the anime continues with quality like the first episode, it might very well be on par with other top isekai anime we've seen.
 
Jan 1, 12:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 32
I feel like 2019 is gonna be a great year for the isekai

I always liked that genre but I never found a great isekai anime (Sword Art Online is...well...what it is, and Log Horizon is good but lacks of something I couldn't describe)

But Tensei Shitara Slime is really enjoyable and this anime looks pretty good too

I appreciate the 45 min first episode, it really sets the story (hey, there's even a plotwist in the first episode ! That woman looked immediately really suspicious to me, but I couldn't think everyone would betray the MC like this). The fact that the MC is hated and mistakened by everyone just makes him even more sympathetic !

I can't wait now to know how he's gonna get his revenge against everyone, I hope he'll kick some ass with that shield that looks surprisingly overcheated
And then, God missed a step of his stairs
 
Jan 1, 1:25 PM

Online
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 2102
Very good first episode for an isekai.
Life has no meaning.
 
Jan 1, 1:37 PM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1787
FontSize72LOL said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
That is for the viewer to judge, though. Staple or not, if the trope is bad it will remain bad even if everyone adopts it to cater to some... "lesser" majority of viewers.


Its important to make a distinction on what is a harem, and what is harem-like. A harem-like anime would have a MC surrounded by females but doesn't contain any romance between, what would have to be several females at the same time. An actual harem would be a situation where the MC is in a romantic/sexual relationship with multiple women (which a lot of LNs of this genre have). I will say that while there is some 'bonding' between the MC and the few female cast members, It definitely falls within the "harem-like" side of things rather than the harem (And honestly, there is nothing wrong with a harem in an escapist genre like isekai anyway even if it did exist).

Having a male lead surrounded by female characters in a genre that panders to male audiences isn't anything new, nor is it particularly bad. After all, in addition to the many male oriented web/light novels there are, you have plenty that are the opposite: Shoujo/josei web/light novels that are of a female MC surrounded by a cast of males vying for her attention. None of these are particularly bad because they know their audience and who they're trying to sell to. That isn't a fault but a marketing design.

Not liking the trope doesn't mean it's bad, It just means you don't like the trope.

IT is a fault when you are making art, and not a commercial piece of... something, wrapped up as art. By this definition it IS bad, being motivated by "marketing" needs and twisting art to cater to some unsavory males who would otherwise not follow a decent story. There is no in-between.
 
Jan 1, 1:39 PM
Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1787
Eanki said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You are spouting nonsense, but I will just make it clear to everyone - if he did not explain he is living off life insurance, it would have to been SOMEHOW EXPLAINED ANOTHER WAY. The grey mass here is trying to find reasons to blame the series, yet only comes out as purely pretentious. This is the main problem with this forum - both plebs and patricians are forced into one thread.


Oh good, the guy from Overlord

Why? Is it important? Is it pertinent to the narrative at all? You did not even counter anything of what I said and merely did the equivalent of shouting at the top of your lungs how wrong I am. That's not an argument. My argument is simple: show not tell. Why tell when simply showing it is enough.

Eanki said:
He could have shut his damn mouth the entire journey from bed to library and we'd still grasp the general idea of what he is and what he's doing.

I had just told you why you would not. No point, I am not expecting some sort of development from anyone there.
 
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1518
Themousen said:
I feel like 2019 is gonna be a great year for the isekai

[...]

and Log Horizon is good but lacks of something I couldn't describe


Log Horizon lacks for a lot of things, visuals and imagery for one, but I hardly think 2019 is the year Log Horizon is toppled from its lofty throne, high above other video game isekai shows that are not parodies (KonoSuba) or primarily SOL/dramas (Grimgar).

It's so damn creative and innovative with how it integrates and interconnects MMORPG mechanics into its narrative and world that the video game isekai that beats it would have to take the path and ideas that it did and then refine it to a shine. Because if someone asks the question "how do I make this video game world a reality?", the logical conclusions and answers he'd come to would roughly match the answers of Mamare Touno, the huge video game nerd who wrote Log Horizon.
Sturgeon's Law Ghetto Corollary:
A "respectable" genre of fictional media will always be judged by the 10% of good works,
but a stigmatized genre will always be judged by the 90% of bad works.

 
Jan 1, 3:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 406
Oh boy, it was mehdiocre af.
Another overhyped isekai.
 
Jan 1, 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4818
hayka said:
I'm wondering how episode 14 hasn't been streamed as yet? I'm really waiting for it.[/size]

Did you miss the fact that January 1st was yesterday?
 
Jan 1, 6:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1737
Daniel_Naumov said:
FontSize72LOL said:


Its important to make a distinction on what is a harem, and what is harem-like. A harem-like anime would have a MC surrounded by females but doesn't contain any romance between, what would have to be several females at the same time. An actual harem would be a situation where the MC is in a romantic/sexual relationship with multiple women (which a lot of LNs of this genre have). I will say that while there is some 'bonding' between the MC and the few female cast members, It definitely falls within the "harem-like" side of things rather than the harem (And honestly, there is nothing wrong with a harem in an escapist genre like isekai anyway even if it did exist).

Having a male lead surrounded by female characters in a genre that panders to male audiences isn't anything new, nor is it particularly bad. After all, in addition to the many male oriented web/light novels there are, you have plenty that are the opposite: Shoujo/josei web/light novels that are of a female MC surrounded by a cast of males vying for her attention. None of these are particularly bad because they know their audience and who they're trying to sell to. That isn't a fault but a marketing design.

Not liking the trope doesn't mean it's bad, It just means you don't like the trope.

IT is a fault when you are making art, and not a commercial piece of... something, wrapped up as art. By this definition it IS bad, being motivated by "marketing" needs and twisting art to cater to some unsavory males who would otherwise not follow a decent story. There is no in-between.


But uh, Its a marketing decision to adapt something that already exists. The Anime is a mere adaption of a LN which is an adaption of a Web Novel the author wrote. Who knows what the authors various reasons for writing this novel are. I'm sure there had to be some passion for it in order for him to keep it going for hundreds of chapters. Whether or not the author had marketing in mind when he wrote the novel, we'd only know if we asked him. Whether it was a marketing decision to pick up a popular 4-5 year old WN/LN during a time where such things are popular and selling well... you know what i'm saying?

I suppose I should clarify that having companies pick something that features a certain trope because its popular is the marketing design rather than the authors intent to write something.
 
Jan 1, 6:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 187
So far so good. I'm liking how the shield works overall. Letting the hero start from nothing and work his way up is a great idea and can be taken from a few different angles. I have some ideas of what might be ahead, but I'll wait until we get to see the main character and his new companion interacting to say anything.

All in all, there's something for everyone. There's a decent beginning with some creativity and character development for normal people and an evil woman who falsely accused a man of rape for the red hats to politicize for the next few months like this story is some sort of documentary (good job?).
 
Jan 1, 7:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 482
Lol ofc Matsuoka gotta be the sword hero

ORANGE BALL BAD

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
 
Jan 1, 7:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Kamiyan3991 said:
Oh boy, it was mehdiocre af.
Another overhyped isekai.

Another hyped isekai which people will enjoy watching and stop with salty comment because it's not for your taste
 
Jan 1, 8:04 PM

Online
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 879
It was ok. At least better than PV now that it's not just edgy highlights.
Still, the hate towards MC feels a bit forced. And this gameplay interface, how lame. Why on earth a magical world would need a feature straight from computer games. Sigh. I guess for an isekai anime it's a given nowadays.

What I actually liked is the way the shield can be developed. And yes, please, go full-fledged badass anti-hero MC, it could be fun.



They who should love me walk right through me
I am a ghost and as far as I know I haven't even died

©Morrissey


 
Jan 1, 8:10 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 422
The red hair bitch should be thrown inside a goblin cave. That's the least she deserves for abusing the kingdom's PROTECT THE WAHMEN rules.
 
Jan 1, 8:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 158
Only_Brad said:
The red hair bitch should be thrown inside a goblin cave. That's the least she deserves for abusing the kingdom's PROTECT THE WAHMEN rules.


Wait what will happen to that bitch later on. I mean literal "bitch" LOL
Ohayousoro!
 
Jan 1, 9:01 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 471
so when do the good anime start airing?
 
Jan 1, 9:53 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 422
vicexxv said:
Only_Brad said:
The red hair bitch should be thrown inside a goblin cave. That's the least she deserves for abusing the kingdom's PROTECT THE WAHMEN rules.


Wait what will happen to that bitch later on. I mean literal "bitch" LOL


literal bitch is actually a female dog but I know what you mean, I've read the manga.
 
Jan 1, 10:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10109
so glad to see this get adapted.
 
Jan 1, 10:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 69
Kamiyan3991 said:
Oh boy, it was mehdiocre af.
Another overhyped isekai.
I watched this only because of the 8.5 score w/o reading the description. it was a mistake. it checks off all of the generic isekai boxes.
 
Jan 1, 11:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1389
After watching the 1st episode I can tell this is going to be really good.

I hope that bitch and hero gets what they deserve for betraying Noifumi like that, now he has mud as a reputation for doing absolutely nothing.

I love how he can intimidate others with those weak monsters.

Looks like he might have found a new partner though through this slave trader.
 
Jan 2, 12:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 493
I'm having crazy déjà vu.
Either I've seen an anime thats just like this, or a really olds chool version of this a long time ago. Or im just insane. Anyways, its looking great.
 
Jan 2, 12:05 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
the betrayal arc was slow, boring, and uninteresting but it did pick up the pace after that
 
Jan 2, 12:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 402
Sly wamen are scary!
Abilities:
Charm to make you comfortable with them and let your guard down.
Flirt to make you get what they want.
Invincible as they use their "respect wamen" status against you

Anyway, the first episode really left a good impression on me.
It shows great promise.
Really got me to root for the MC after how he was treated in this episode.
At least that bald guy wasn't as bad as the other characters.

4 Heroes: Shielder, Saber, Archer, Lancer
Hmmmmm. :v
Kinda felt bad that they said that being a Shielder is useless.

That cliffhanger though. :/
 
Jan 2, 12:52 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 67
you know, they should've used tensei slime as reference on how to do a good LN/WN/manga adaptation. tensei slime not only took its time developing the story but it retained the internal monologues ever-present in LN protags, something they omitted in shield bro. naofumi would often assess his situation and the people around him based on his monologues and the lack of it in the anime doesn't really spell out the gravity of the situation he's in.
 
Jan 2, 2:02 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 9
I would have brushed this off as another boring isekai except i saw this short clip of this on YouTube and i had enough free time to give ep1 a go.
And I have to say it is impressive to say the least. Sure the usual isekai tropes are present but I am just a sucker for a tortured and nihilistic MC (all we ever get these days are cheery b*tards full of baseless hope...yuck).

Btw why is the episode 45minutes long?
 
Jan 2, 2:41 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Can somebody tell me which episode is gonna Continue from this point. Like is the first ep just gonna be the same as the pre air or not
 
Jan 2, 4:16 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 81
Ok like i liked the episode and it was indeed a good adaptation but i really really hope the anime end where the novels stopped being good and it will never get a second season.
I also hope they will make an anime only ending.

I loved the start of the manga and then it got pretty random and boring.
 
Jan 2, 7:12 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
This series is sooooooooo generic and bad.
Let me explain,

- MC use shield as a weapon? Every anime use that weapon, so it is generic and bad
- Can't use another weapon? Of course this is generic too.
- MC not OP from start? This is bad and boring like every isekai anime.
- MC become darker? NO! MC should be positive! Because I don't like that type. It is too similar to other isekai anime.
- Not a harem? Bullshit! It must be a harem! I don't care what anyone said in the novel or manga. Even if it is not harem the anime will change it to a harem! I never wrong!
- Prologue with Monologue? This is new but shit anyway. So that is bad.
- Buying a slave because discriminated? Stupid choice! Unrealistic! All anime should be realistic!
- No OP and ED in the premiere? What? That is 2 minus point!

So I should give this first episode -9/10 yeah you read it right MINUS NINE!

*cough* *cough*
Modified by gastert, Jan 2, 7:16 AM
 
Jan 2, 7:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 608
Nice start, the whole betrayal and quest for revenge is very interesting. I know most Isekai have the protagonist like ridiculously strong, kind and charming which I find it boring and yes there were other similar Isekai where the story turns dark and I prefer it like that cause it's more real and interesting
 
Jan 2, 9:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 308
Ten said:
It was ok. At least better than PV now that it's not just edgy highlights.
Still, the hate towards MC feels a bit forced. And this gameplay interface, how lame. Why on earth a magical world would need a feature straight from computer games. Sigh. I guess for an isekai anime it's a given nowadays.

What I actually liked is the way the shield can be developed. And yes, please, go full-fledged badass anti-hero MC, it could be fun.


There's actually an explanation for that.

 
Jan 2, 9:15 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 57
FMmatron said:
Myne that bitch



The others were scummy as well.

Pretty promising start. I'm afraid that I'm hoping for too much, but this seems at least decent compared to other isekais.

This guy was amongst the first Isekai these days. And the first one that i ever read. I really hope that it gets the attention it deserves. Even though all the knock offs who came after it have ended up being released before the shield hero, who just rehash the same plot over and over again, and sub-sequentially drained us of our will to live when it comes to this genre.

Can we all please show him respect. Rather than waves of calamity, right now he's facing the current isekai plague.
 
Jan 2, 12:13 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
That mental break down make the MC from such a good boy into badass
 
Jan 2, 1:19 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
The first impression is pretty good. Both the art and the sound deserves a 9. The story is a bit different from the usually isekai shows, it feels unique in some way. The main character is not an all-powerful being with a bunch of girls around (don't know if it will be), very realistic. But this is also just a normal isekai show and some of the plots makes no sense. The story is probably a 7. The character is just like any other isekai shows, an otaku normal Japanese guy. Which is Fair (6). I did enjoy it (8). So overall for episode one, it's probably an 8. I will definitely keep watching this show and see what happens next. The 45 minutes ep1 is great.
 
Jan 2, 1:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 406
mahoupenisu said:
Kamiyan3991 said:
Oh boy, it was mehdiocre af.
Another overhyped isekai.
I watched this only because of the 8.5 score w/o reading the description. it was a mistake. it checks off all of the generic isekai boxes.

Pretty much but not only that.
This story actually doesn't make sense lol.
That baseless accusation was plain stupid. What an awful writing.
 
Jan 2, 8:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 579
pretty much create a bunch of dumb side characters to encircle MC and make him look like epic and intelligent as fk.
 
Jan 2, 8:29 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 694
Ten said:
It was ok. At least better than PV now that it's not just edgy highlights.
Still, the hate towards MC feels a bit forced. And this gameplay interface, how lame. Why on earth a magical world would need a feature straight from computer games. Sigh. I guess for an isekai anime it's a given nowadays.

What I actually liked is the way the shield can be developed. And yes, please, go full-fledged badass anti-hero MC, it could be fun.


There is an actual reason here.Things are not what they seem.Even in the first episode you see that
the world has a lot characters are lying and hiding a lot of stuff .


 
Jan 2, 11:16 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1
best Isekai to date, I love the realism
 
Jan 3, 4:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1056
Yeah. This one is designed to cater for a very specific worldview. There I am, having noticed various suspicious things, and so expecting her to make off with that expensive equipment she's been bought at some point, or something like that. Suddenly, BAM! nonsensical false rape accusation out of nowhere. The (original) writer clearly has unhealthy opinions about women, or at least is writing for an audience of such people. I do not have any persecution complexes or the like which need satisfying, I'm afraid.
 
Jan 3, 5:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
This episode started off powerful VERY powerful. I'm hooked.

Pacing, music, art, animation, characters, its done it all in this episode.
 
Jan 3, 6:47 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
logopolis said:
Yeah. This one is designed to cater for a very specific worldview. There I am, having noticed various suspicious things, and so expecting her to make off with that expensive equipment she's been bought at some point, or something like that. Suddenly, BAM! nonsensical false rape accusation out of nowhere. The (original) writer clearly has unhealthy opinions about women, or at least is writing for an audience of such people. I do not have any persecution complexes or the like which need satisfying, I'm afraid.

Well it is only that girl, of course she is the only one girl who is really really disgusting in this story, it is about individual.
Modified by gastert, Jan 3, 6:50 AM
 
Jan 3, 6:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 91
That was a good watch. I'm expecting a lot from this anime and I hope to see more. I also hope for that bitch to be executed in the medieval way. The horse, the spikes etc. The hero will be a baddass on this one.

 
Jan 3, 8:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1056
gastert said:
Well it is only that girl, of course she is the only one girl who is really really disgusting in this story, it is about individual.


...the only female character of any significance who has been introduced at that point in the story, (all the heroes are male, for instance,) in the first actually dramatic event of the story, done over the top to the point of caricature, even with her making a face at the protagonist which anyone could notice, in a way which defies any explanation in terms of actual human psychology, in a place quoted as having laws like "nobody can refuse a drink with a women" and "violence against a woman is the worst thing you can do"...

No, it's quite obvious what worldview is being put forth here.
 
Jan 3, 8:25 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
logopolis said:
gastert said:
Well it is only that girl, of course she is the only one girl who is really really disgusting in this story, it is about individual.


...the only female character of any significance who has been introduced at that point in the story, (all the heroes are male, for instance,) in the first actually dramatic event of the story, done over the top to the point of caricature, even with her making a face at the protagonist which anyone could notice, in a way which defies any explanation in terms of actual human psychology, in a place quoted as having laws like "nobody can refuse a drink with a women" and "violence against a woman is the worst thing you can do"...

No, it's quite obvious what worldview is being put forth here.

Well, if I tell you why it is like that, that is big spoiler. There is a legit reason for that actually.
 
Jan 3, 8:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1056
gastert said:
Well, if I tell you why it is like that, that is big spoiler. There is a legit reason for that actually.


There being fictional world explanations is irrelevant. The author chose to write the start of his story like that, he has complete control over the things he puts in the story in order to write the start of his story like that.
 
Jan 3, 8:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
logopolis said:
gastert said:
Well, if I tell you why it is like that, that is big spoiler. There is a legit reason for that actually.


There being fictional world explanations is irrelevant. The author chose to write the start of his story like that, he has complete control over the things he puts in the story in order to write the start of his story like that.

I agree that the author has complete control and rigthly so to do it. I mean this plot is actually new in an anime that I have watched, I never see something like that before in the start of the story. It makes some drama, I think the author just want to create Myne to become a heartless and cruel character in his story.
 
Jan 3, 1:06 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
The episode was great and really fleshed out the manga. But since I'd read ahead I actually ended up weeping through it because I already knew how it was going
 
Jan 3, 1:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 36
that white knight who thinks that women can't lie about rape, lol
in a serious relationship with Akihito Tsukushi's art.
 
Jan 3, 1:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 105
It was pretty generic and nothing new, it was decent.
REVIVE MECHA
 
Jan 3, 3:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 38
It was a good start but... betrayal, revenge, weak MC... where did I see it before?
 
Top
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »