Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 26, 2018 11:55 AM

Jun 2016
After watching the "first cour" to SAO Alicization, it's pretty messy. Not as bad as SAO Alternative but jesus...

Like can someone explain how the score is remaining an 8+ rn? I'm huge sao fan but damn, I don't understand whats going on rn... Pacing in the first arcs were explainable. The novel literally started on floor 74 and ended on floor 75. A-1 adapted it to be linear. But Alicization? They're blasting through content like it's homework or something. Skipped an entire tournament, girls getting raped an episode after they're introduced, and down 3 years in the span of a few episodes.

Up until episode 5 is fine. It had the exact same high paced, down to the point action that SAO is renown for. Like jesus we are getting spoon fed monologue through 40 second sword locks. It completely kills the mood. Nobody just stands there playing push-a-war with swords in the middle of a deadly fight.

And the animations, like yes it's nice and fancy. Must have paid a lot for those fx. Jesus, Ordinal Scale was the right amount, this is overkill. Tinker bell level fairy fantasy dust sparkling all over the place shooting into the sword. While the antagonists are literally colored in sketches. When Kirito stands next to the Leviathan dude or the rapists, they literally look like pencil sketches colored in with some auto fill between the line feature.

And the dialogue feels so unnatural at the pacing going on, maybe it's cause of whoever is writing the lines for the voice actors, but, if you're going to say "2 years has passed by" in 5 seconds, then at least make it feel like Kirito and Eugeo has been buddies for 2 years...

I've probably read through Alicization near a dozen times, but this is some horrendous pacing. When they said 4 cour, I was expecting a MINIMUM of 4 cours, and most likely something around 6-8. What will most likely end up happening is:

24 episodes - Kirito & Eugeo vs Church

24 episodes - Wars arcs

3 episodes - epilogue (most of the ending of volume 18) Maybe some announcement for SAO Progressive or SAO 19-20 Moon cradle.

Absolutely no way this covers 19-20. 200 years? Lol i don't think so... The first 5 episodes or so did a great job (even if it were a bit fast) of maintaining SAO... But how does one even manage to screw up so badly as soon as the focus shifts from goblins to people. We don't need spoon-fed monologue, facial expressions are enough. Especially when you're shoving black fairy dust up the dude's sword while making his eye's glow red.

I'm just ranting at this point. I still think Alicization is great, but some parts are definitely ridiculous.

Dec 26, 2018 2:21 PM
Oct 2012
I'm not in mood for big discussion so u got to excuse me for not answering to all your points. ( which I agree on quite a few and disagree on some )

But I'm just gonna say, anime will always sucks compare to the novels, and it can never make everyone happy.

I read comments of viewers. some ppl complain about too much information and some ppl complain about lack of it. it's a mess.

there was this guy who like SAO but is anime only, he watch last EP, and he could not understand why Quinella was killing Fox ...

after he was told she was killing it to level up, he complain that he wish Anime would tell us that Quinella killed those fox to level up, he though anime is just showing us that she was a sadistic kid who kill animals and laugh .... :|

it's not only him, i saw so many anime only guy needing more explanation on many different points in the show. even when the animation show it well.

for example the quinella part it was so obvious, she Look at Status window and her system authority ! killed a fox, it grow and then she laugh happily. but ppl didn't notice this...

in my opinion, Alicization for Vol 9 to 18, need at least 5 cours. but they are doing it in 4. so they already cutting so much. even the "Boooring" info dump ep as some ppl like to call it . ( I enjoy them a lot tbh personally ) should have been double the size coz they keep butchering them.

in the end it's just an animation and got different audience i guess, if u read the novel, just look at it as some part of it being animated ! if u didn't read the novel u either enjoy it as it is, or it force u to buy the novel, i guess that's their plan too.

I sometime hate it more than i love it when i think the anime-only viewers won't get to see everything in the novel and wont get the feel of the world and characters correctly. but I try to not think like that and just enjoy it as it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 26, 2018 6:15 PM

Jul 2016
Just be patient and the adaption is consistent so far. The cut out part are necessary. And the author said that the tournament is the biggest cut bcuz of time restraints.

Dec 27, 2018 1:07 AM
Jan 2018
What tournament you mean one epiosde of one fight that had to be cut. With the only real purpose to show what the two where doing after 5 months and a bridge to a 1.5 years time skip as well as character introductions.

As well a few more details about the underworld that would be cut to like 4 sentences
Dec 27, 2018 10:57 AM

Apr 2018
I enjoyed reading your post op and i agree for the most parts .
Jan 2, 2019 11:10 PM

Jun 2016
Idk why only half my posts give me notifs.

I agree with most the replies. Yes there are time constraints, and it should have been much longer. I'm just back to rant some more.

Alicization should have been at least 6-8 cours in my opinion for a solid story.

Introduction - Demon Tree
Travels / Tournament - Eugeo / Kirito building a solid relationship. (not gay).
School Arc - They blew past this way too fast, it wasn't even noteworthy.
Tower clearing arc - Basically what we are on now.
War arc 1 - the normal war
war arc 2 - logins
conclusion - epilogue.

Like even if they adapted half the series or a fourth at a time, I would have found it much more enjoyable. Kayaba had an aura of mystery and Aincrad / SAO was fundamentally a game, the system can not really be considered the enemy as much as the situation itself. I just wish that the Antagonists had some more dialogue or depth, rather than just being bad. I can definitely understand quinella, but I can also see why many people would consider her to be stupid if they're just watching the naime.
Jan 6, 2019 6:06 PM

Dec 2014
Inorichi said:
Like can someone explain how the score is remaining an 8+ rn?

Peoples like it and they vote it... not much philosophy.

Inorichi said:
Alicization should have been at least 6-8 hours in my opinion for a solid story.

That would be about 100 episodes. Anime industry doesn't have that much money to risk (you are asking for about 20 million dollars, from a single studio, to adopt a novel series that started 7 years ago, and already ended - so it's not even for promotion), nor do they have the human resources, as there aren't many animators left. Or it could be done... but it would look like Fairy Tail, where you would have static images instead of fights and recycled anime. While it could have been done better, it could also be worse. Personally, I didn't read the LN's, but pacing was a problem for me in the first episodes (1-9), as I feelt that the story advances too slow - like seriously, my little brother sleept trough half of them.
And is also easy for me to watch it... is SAO, I don't have much expectations.
Jan 9, 2019 10:45 PM

Sep 2015
As an LN reader I felt hey put too much time and emphasize on relatively unimportant details which needed up skipping some of the bigger things.
Several scenes lasted longer than necessary. Not sure if that would of helped to make room for things in Zakaria and the fight with Eugeo had at the start... better interaction with Liena and the like.

Honestly I agree with the massive cuts being an issue. I don't think the first few episodes were paced poorly. The Rulid part felt fine to me. I noticed it was faster pace than the novel but I think it is a understandable sacrifice.
HOWEVER, Everything after Rulid and up until ep10 was just rushed TOO much to the point I nearly dropped it.

I felt like the rape scene was intensified a bit too much compared to novel. I get why they did it but after the recent complaints with Goblin Slayer, I worry about the backlash amongst the Western audience AGAIN. -_-
But I just love Alice too much, I want to see her so I can't drop before she appears!

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.