Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2018 6:29 AM

Dec 2014
I tried sorting the sequence of the event.

1. During that time, IIRC Krim and Maquia was allied with enemy nations as what Lang mentioned to Ariel.

2. Krim said that Maquia got such a long hair over the hip was most probably because of pregnancy.

2a. Krim's personally got so messed up that he doesn't want anyone to be happy and rapes Maquia and result to pregnancy.

2b. Maquia was raped by someone in enemy nations and got her pregnancy(if 1 was true), and most probably because they are 'legend' existence.

2c. Maquia was imprisoned, so obviously there is nothing she can do about her hair, and grow so long after several years of imprisonment.

For me, I highly believed it was 2c and just that, I don't think this movie is that dark.
Another reason is that, during the ending, it doesn't appear to have a child with Maquia.

However, this movie doesn't seem to be clear enough why Krim mentioned that.
Also, that prison scene and the setting are a very common cliche that appear in a lot of artwork.
For example, Subete ga F ni naru.

Can someone enlighten me?
Is there any other material that has a properly explaination beside animated movie?
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Dec 23, 2018 8:02 AM

Jan 2016
the answer is 2c.
Already answered in another thread.
it's some kind of mistranslation.
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
May 8, 2019 12:46 AM
Oct 2016
aLotQuestion_ said:
I don't think this movie is that dark.

Did we watch the same movie? There was genocide, decades-long imprisonment, consistent rape all along during that imprisonment, gruesome war, and attempted murder-suicide. TBH, this movie really fucked with me. The "mother's love" theme got drowned out by the pure intensity of the misery and suffering experienced by some of those main characters.

That said, I still think it's 2c because of the way the scenes were drawn.
May 8, 2019 1:12 AM

Dec 2014
Funkatron_3000 said:
There was genocide, decades-long imprisonment, consistent rape all along during that imprisonment, gruesome war, and attempted murder-suicide.

Beside the cross out content, these weren't considered 'dark' for me, this is pretty much every fighting anime/manga out there.
If those were consider dark, then every anime/manga are considered dark.

Funkatron_3000 said:
consistent rape all along during that imprisonment

Where do you see this? So far, the only imprisonment were Maquia and Leilia.

Since Leilia is married into royal, I don't think she is being raped by anyone.

However, I'm not sure about Maquia hence this post exist, but you and the one above agree with "2c".
That'd mean rape isn't even available in this movie, so where do you watch the "consistent rape"?
May 8, 2019 10:00 AM
Oct 2016
Leilia was imprisoned and used to try to produce children like a brood mare. Do you think she really wanted to marry into the royal family that destroyed her species and locked her up? No, only way she gets pregnant is by rape. And then she was trapped by her own making once she got pregnant. She was solely there for her child, which they never let her see. That doesn't mean any further sex is consensual.
May 8, 2019 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
That is not the very definition of 'rape', it was a political marriage.

If political marriage was consider 'rape', then every kings and princes in the history are consider rapist?
May 8, 2019 5:03 PM
Oct 2016
aLotQuestion_ said:
If political marriage was consider 'rape', then every kings and princes in the history are consider rapist?

If they have non-consensual sex that is rape. It doesn't matter if they were married off by their family or kidnapped and forced to marry for political reasons. Rape is rape, man.
Jun 13, 2019 11:00 AM

Oct 2018
2c. I think........
Jul 5, 2019 7:49 AM

May 2016
He said that the only way they would be allowed to grow hair that long was through pregnancy, I think it was some social etiquette from where they came from, women who hadn't given birth weren't allowed to grow their hair longer than the waist.
Nov 1, 2021 5:05 PM
Dec 2018
aLotQuestion_ said:
That is not the very definition of 'rape', it was a political marriage.

Most rational people would consider it rape. Even if had not been a kidnapping born of having your home destroyed, "peaceful" arranged (political or not) marriages often end up basically rape.

there's maybe a few instances when that might not have been the case. but, humans got be humans.
Nov 2, 2021 1:48 PM
Jul 2016
I don’t see it being 2c at all personally.
Why would he specifically mention the fact that “iorphs can only grow hair below their hips when pregnant” if she wasn’t pregnant and they wanted to inform us of this “indirectly”
Not to mention he says that they can “only” grow it longer when pregnant. Implying that it’s not even possible to happen natural through time.

The first time I watched it I didn’t realized that maquia and krim was working with another nation. But watching it the second time it became a lot clearer to me.
That said I’m still not sure if it was krim that “raped” her. But
I think she is 100% pregnant. The photo at the very end shows children back at the original iorph place so I think it was to carry their species on.
I think krim most likely raped her. Considering he was fucked up. And maquia looked very depressed as well as seeming to dislike him (while he cut her hair)
But it could’ve also been a prince etc. of another nation. Tho I doubt they would let her run around like that (unless they didn’t know krim let her out of her cell)
Definitely pregnant in my mind tho.
Chiisana_NekoNov 2, 2021 1:52 PM
Jan 15, 2022 9:38 AM
Oct 2020
No she wasn’t pregnant he said that only iorphes that gave birth ince could grow their hair this long, because he wanted maquia to forget about ariel. But i don’t understand why leilia refused to go with krim and then did exactly the thing he wanted her to do ?
Jan 29, 2022 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
He actually said "ko wo unde kara" = "after they get pregnant", not "just during pregnancy". So, most likely her hair grew up naturally because she couldn't cut it while imprisoned. And because Krim is so fixated on Iorph traditions, he didn't want her to have such long hair even though she never got pregnant.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Feb 24, 2018

310 by Rudyanto13 »»
Apr 2, 10:40 PM

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

56 by brandon08967 »»
Feb 17, 12:00 AM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.