Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2018 11:28 AM
Apr 2016
I was thinking, since having done three fundamental series on Will, Order and Chaos, and Love, Trigger would be unable to continue within the same line with the same formula. But that was before I saw their trailer on the film's site.

In the trailer, they have deliberately NOT listed Darling in the FranXX, which stands for Love (it could be argued the mentioned series is actually a serious story, and statement, while the other two are not as solid and are way more... "unrefined", which is their core element). As such, they do not acknowledge the series as their Third, and in doing so they open themselves to make another story, in the form of a film it seems, that follows the established formula of theirs. The formula lies in the following:

The setting is a dystopia, protagonists are oppressed.
There is an important past that lead to the whole thing, which later manifests in a Revelation.
Protagonists fight against other beings (another species).
After the initial protagonists are defeated, they turn out to be the tragic heroes and the true villains are revealed.
The story is divided in two, by the said Revelation.
True villain is worse on scale and threatens the whole world, for both the protagonists and initial villains.
Scale of the struggle goes... absurdly higher than it did before (symbolism turns itself up to eleven).
Protagonists and initial villains join hands in trying to stop the Judgement day.
True villains follow fundamental philosophy, which is the reason of why they do what they do.
In the final fight, everyone unites to empower protagonists, who then avert the crisis.
After that, the world is back to normal and better than it ever was before, but the looming threat of someday again facing against humanity's archenemy remains.

This formula was followed through for the most major three series for the last 11 years (Trigger has inherited the spirit of Gainax, which is all it stood for), and by reaching the number three (3), it would be conceptually binding to go for another series in the said formula. The trailer makes it clear Trigger does not consider the Three to have been reached yet. As I have speculated before, it might have been because one of the aforementioned series was a way more serious, constrained in its execution and ideology story. Darling in the FranXX was, I dare say, exclusively of Order, while both its predecessors boasted a balance of both Chaos and Order. In this way, Promare could be the finishing third one, if it does position itself like the first two did. Either way, we will have to see whether Promare follows the formula, if it does pretend to become the final third one.

Re:formed
Dec 22, 2018 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
dude Darling in the FranXX is a CloverWorks show while Trigger is just a supporting role on its production but all major decisions are made by CloverWorks on that show so its not really a Trigger show

and i do not know about your theory, you are like interpreting their shows too much, they just want to make exaggerated or snow ball effect stories thats all
Dec 29, 2018 2:09 PM
Nov 2015
Think less Trigger, more Imaishi.

It's the third work in Imaishi's "trilogy" after TTGL and Kill La Kill. That's it. And the only part of Gainax that Trigger inherited was... the parts that came from Imaishi. Trigger is its own thing.
Dec 30, 2018 3:27 PM
Apr 2016
AraleKurashiki said:
Think less Trigger, more Imaishi.

It's the third work in Imaishi's "trilogy" after TTGL and Kill La Kill. That's it. And the only part of Gainax that Trigger inherited was... the parts that came from Imaishi. Trigger is its own thing.

Yes, I have already been explained that. It is the most logical explanation, but I still believe my point stands, that this will be their Third in the same way Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are.
Dec 31, 2018 4:38 AM
Sep 2016
Failed attempt at Gurren Lagann resurrection?
Dec 31, 2018 4:51 AM

Jan 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:
but I still believe my point stands, that this will be their Third in the same way Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are.

this is well known info that even Trigger promotes it

The staff previously mentioned that the anime be similar in tone to Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann — Imaishi and Nakashima's previous two collaborations.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-12/1st-promo-video-for-trigger-xflag-promare-anime-reveals-theatrical-release-in-2019/.138071

Trigger’s ‘Promare’ Will Be a Throwback to ‘Gurren Lagann’ & ‘Kill la Kill’
https://goboiano.com/triggers-promare-will-be-a-throwback-to-gurren-lagann-kill-la-kill/
Dec 31, 2018 5:04 AM
Apr 2016
Even more to support my point of this being the final in the trio GL/KLK/And this.
Dec 31, 2018 5:05 AM

Apr 2016
Don't disappoint me Imaishi, i believe in you who believe in yourself.

deg said:
dude Darling in the FranXX is a CloverWorks show while Trigger is just a supporting role

True, but that stain will forever stay on their shirt.
Jan 5, 2019 3:11 AM

May 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
Even more to support my point of this being the final in the trio GL/KLK/And this.

why a trio? we need more from these guys, its absurd to think this will be their final collaboration
Jan 5, 2019 3:27 AM
Apr 2016
bhaktivinoda said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

why a trio? we need more from these guys, its absurd to think this will be their final collaboration

That is just as far as... their genius goes. They will surely not just stop doing anything, but another major, fundamental series similar to Gurren Lagann and Kill La Killa will not happen. This has got to be their final work along the same line as the aforementioned.
Apr 14, 2019 2:20 PM

Sep 2014
I sure hope this will be something along the lines of TTGL and KLK, aside from Inferno Cop the last things Trigger did (or participated in if you dont want to put DitF on them) were kinda subpar for me.

Why 3 specifically anyway? Have they ever announced something like this?

Or do they simply like Mista and hate the number 4?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 14, 2019 3:23 PM
Apr 2016
Comander-07 said:
I sure hope this will be something along the lines of TTGL and KLK, aside from Inferno Cop the last things Trigger did (or participated in if you dont want to put DitF on them) were kinda subpar for me.

It is more about the philosophy. Three has long been established as being a number on "universal" scale, so to say. Throughout Gainax\Trigger's works there is a lot significance built around the numbers, especially 2 and 3. Many people do not think of Darling in the FranXX as a direct continuation of that line stretching from TTGL to KLK to... here? They have reasons for it, as the aforementioned series takes more serious and direct approach to both storytelling and story itself. It is not as all over the place as the other two are, if anything.
Apr 14, 2019 3:56 PM

Sep 2014
Daniel_Naumov said:
Comander-07 said:

It is more about the philosophy. Three has long been established as being a number on "universal" scale, so to say. Throughout Gainax\Trigger's works there is a lot significance built around the numbers, especially 2 and 3. Many people do not think of Darling in the FranXX as a direct continuation of that line stretching from TTGL to KLK to... here? They have reasons for it, as the aforementioned series takes more serious and direct approach to both storytelling and story itself. It is not as all over the place as the other two are, if anything.
DitF is simply trash and not even a pure Trigger work, thats why.

I dont see why they would specifically limit themselves to 3, its not like there is a pattern
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 14, 2019 4:30 PM
Apr 2016
Comander-07 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I dont see why they would specifically limit themselves to 3, its not like there is a pattern

As I have said, it is a philosophical question... The apparent line (link) between TTGL and KLK is supposed to bring its completion with the Promare. What comes is a question, but if after all those years I can see something then it is not going to be along the same mentioned line.
Apr 14, 2019 5:04 PM

Jan 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
Comander-07 said:

As I have said, it is a philosophical question... The apparent line (link) between TTGL and KLK is supposed to bring its completion with the Promare. What comes is a question, but if after all those years I can see something then it is not going to be along the same mentioned line.
We will have to just wait and see, and unless we get interviews from Imaishi and co that confirms it it's all speculation.

As for the formula that they follow, that's Imaishi's doing.
A "love letter" to the mecha shows that he grew up watching.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 5, 2019 12:12 PM

Jan 2015
Zejfi said:
Failed attempt at Gurren Lagann resurrection?

thank god, we dont need another garbage like ttgl
Jul 5, 2019 1:31 PM

Nov 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:

This formula was followed through for the most major three series for the last 11 years (Trigger has inherited the spirit of Gainax, which is all it stood for), and by reaching the number three (3), it would be conceptually binding to go for another series in the said formula.

No. The formula is a stolen work: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-06-13/fire-force-creator-atsushi-ohkubo-alludes-to-his-work-being-stolen/.147773
HACKs! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®
Jul 5, 2019 3:33 PM
Apr 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

This formula was followed through for the most major three series for the last 11 years (Trigger has inherited the spirit of Gainax, which is all it stood for), and by reaching the number three (3), it would be conceptually binding to go for another series in the said formula.

No. The formula is a stolen work: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-06-13/fire-force-creator-atsushi-ohkubo-alludes-to-his-work-being-stolen/.147773

Thank you not looking there until I view the film myself. But good on them for trying. The best things will prevail through defamation even. Other things? Will be rightfully called out on plagiarism.
Jul 7, 2019 2:38 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
deg said:
dude Darling in the FranXX is a CloverWorks show while Trigger is just a supporting role on its production but all major decisions are made by CloverWorks on that show so its not really a Trigger show

and i do not know about your theory, you are like interpreting their shows too much, they just want to make exaggerated or snow ball effect stories thats all
´
Animation wise it was a Trigger show for me, sorry but go watch ep24 again and tell me it wasnt inspired as hell in TTGL!!
Jul 7, 2019 4:27 AM

Jan 2009
Playcool said:
deg said:

´
Animation wise it was a Trigger show for me, sorry but go watch ep24 again and tell me it wasnt inspired as hell in TTGL!!

Studio Trigger at Anime New York says this about Darling in the FranXX “Everyone says it was Trigger's fault that it ended up in space, but that's not true!”
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-11-26/studio-trigger-panel-at-anime-nyc/.139981
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1753529
Jul 7, 2019 7:15 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
deg said:
Playcool said:
´

Studio Trigger at Anime New York says this about Darling in the FranXX “Everyone says it was Trigger's fault that it ended up in space, but that's not true!”
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-11-26/studio-trigger-panel-at-anime-nyc/.139981

Yes?
How does that contradict anything that I said?
Darling in the Franxx REEKS of NGE and TTGL, by reeks I mean whoever was in charge, gone overboard.
Jul 7, 2019 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
Playcool said:
deg said:

Yes?
Darling in the Franxx REEKS of NGE and TTGL, by reeks I mean whoever was in charge, gone overboard.
The same applies to NGE and TTGL.
Do you even know what they reek of?
What influenced them?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 8, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 2016
Children you are allowed to wage the holiest war in a civil way, but I beseech you to remember - NO SPOILERS for this title.
Jul 10, 2019 6:26 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Cabron said:
Playcool said:

Yes?
The same applies to NGE and TTGL.
Do you even know what they reek of?
What influenced them?

I could keep on and on and compare that ending to Pandora Hearts or Elfen Lied manga...
One thing is drawing influences, other is what Darling does.
Yes they reek of awesomeness and feel pretty much unique, and suceeded in whatever they wanted to do.
Darling limited itself with all these influences, they should have just done their own thing.
Jul 28, 2019 7:30 PM
Mar 2015
MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING

I mean, imo while Promare was enjoyable to watch, it really felt like it was just Darling in the Franxx's larger plot combined with TTGL. Both Promare and Darling had the government which were supposed to be the good guys in the beginning using aliens as a power source and in doing so fucks the planet up who eventually turn into bad guys, both have the same aircraft design and the driving position for it is eerily similar to the franxx, both have a random large OP robot that shows up in order to take the fight to near TTGL levels of insanity (strelitzia and deus ex machina have the same color scheme, Galo's signature weapon looks very similar to strelitzia's spear, and it's also called matoi, Kill la Kill reference), and both have the main character and the main alien infused human combine in the end to power said OP mech. Both Promare and TTGL both have the OG antagonists become the good guys (though that is kinda just a lot of imaishi works), a giant ark ship under the city that can only evacuate a certain amount of people that turns out to be a bad idea, in which one of the main antagonists right-hand man first helps but then regrets the decision (Ellis Ardebit and Kinon Bachika, they even look similar), Galo and Kamina are based on the same character sketch where kamina had the spikes toned down and galo had them amped up (according to imaishi himself at the post promare panel at otakon), and a drill was the way to break a machine that could've doomed the entire main cast (galo freeing lio, kittan breaking the space condenser). There are many more similarities, but they feel more like references than outright copies. Idk, Promare was enjoyable, had good art and animation, good character design, but if you've watched darling in the franxx and TTGL, then I feel like you've basically already got the plot of Promare
Jan 3, 2020 5:15 AM

Jan 2009
Gurren Lagann - some masculinity theme
Kill la Kill - some feminism theme
Promare - some LGBT theme

lol that might be some of it
Jan 3, 2020 5:23 AM
Apr 2016
Deg please! I have not seen it yet! In February!
Jan 3, 2020 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:

you do not see any LGBT fanarts and memes about Promare? thats like impossibruuuu lol
Jan 3, 2020 2:37 PM
Apr 2016
deg said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

you do not see any LGBT fanarts and memes about Promare? thats like impossibruuuu lol

I did check out the character description and it turns the girl the design for which I liked is a man with a name Leo Fotia. I will question this after I have seen the film.
Jan 3, 2020 2:51 PM

Jan 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:
deg said:

I did check out the character description and it turns the girl the design for which I liked is a man with a name Leo Fotia. I will question this after I have seen the film.

and the colors on the visuals of Promare are like LGBT rainbow colors too lol

but ye other than those its a great movie just 1 month to go before the BD-rips drop
Feb 6, 2020 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
The only thing Trigger was trying to do in here was making the audience have an indiscriminate blast imo

They didn't even care about how crazy over-the-top and ridiculous they would go with the stuff they wrote in the script, and unironically, that just works as this movie's biggest pros.

This movie works so well because it was clearly made for pure fun and Rule of Cool, it oozes it all over.
Feb 6, 2020 2:31 PM
Apr 2016
Danpmss said:
The only thing Trigger was trying to do in here was making the audience have an indiscriminate blast imo

They didn't even care about how crazy over-the-top and ridiculous they would go with the stuff they wrote in the script, and unironically, that just works as this movie's biggest pros.

This movie works so well because it was clearly made for pure fun and Rule of Cool, it oozes it all over.

I hope I will contest this after I personally witness the film. Gurren Lagann and their future series were full to the brim with symbolism and philosophy, mixed-in with the said "Rule of Cool". Which did make a blastful combination, coming from I dare say geniuses. I pray I still revere them after Promare comes out in my internet.
Jan 19, 2021 11:31 PM

Oct 2012
I've been asking the same question: What is Trigger trying to do here? And here's the answer I came up with: Some amateur executive asked the board, We succeeded with the grandeur in Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. So how can we condense that success, sap out all of the character development -- we'll replace the protagonist with the most popular character there is, a Naruto clone, one of the kage bunshin no jutsus that was forgotten in a fight scene somewhere -- and make millions in a movie? We could even cut costs by making everything into big ugly triangles, and no one would even notice!
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 31, 2021 2:35 PM
Jul 2014
Promare is the only Trigger work I really like so far at about 8-8.5/10. I gave LWA a 5/10, BNA is also a 5/10 so far, KLK was a 6/10, and SPL was a light 7/10. Studio Trigger is mostly just a "meh" studio for me so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Promare Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dudi4PoLFr - Aug 4, 2019

176 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 24, 10:56 PM

Poll: » What Is With People Only Watching Promare Just For Lio?

Equallady - Jan 31, 2021

13 by Equallady »»
Jan 17, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Why Don't People Care About/Like Main Character Galo?

Equallady - Feb 18, 2021

13 by HEBI_TAN »»
Oct 12, 2023 3:20 AM

» (!) Do watch Galo-hen / Lio-hen after *22 min* of the Promare movie

Rob7 - Oct 20, 2020

5 by callmethebigG »»
Sep 19, 2022 9:49 PM

» Promare Blu-Ray?

Shiki278 - Sep 19, 2019

5 by Fishb0i »»
Jan 22, 2022 5:29 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.