Forum Settings
Forums

Do you want more dominant female anime characters?

New
More dominant female anime characters?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 13, 2019 12:56 PM

Feb 2011
A woman cannot love until she has achieved something in life. There's really no other form of woman I can love. Strong women aren't a "race" they're THE women.
Closer.
Jan 13, 2019 1:02 PM

Feb 2015
xShinigami3125 said:
More proactive female characters, would be an amazing change of pace, because they are often just addons, and submissive in romance anime.

Usually, submission is used to appeal to the female fantasy.
Insert Text Here
Jan 13, 2019 1:41 PM

Feb 2018
StargazerSazuri said:
xShinigami3125 said:
More proactive female characters, would be an amazing change of pace, because they are often just addons, and submissive in romance anime.

Even if that's true, who cares ? And what does that have to do with my post, and this threat ?
Jan 13, 2019 2:13 PM

Feb 2015
xShinigami3125 said:
StargazerSazuri said:

Even if that's true, who cares ? And what does that have to do with my post, and this threat ?

I'm just informing ya mate on that topic.
StargazersazuriJan 13, 2019 2:42 PM
Insert Text Here
Jan 13, 2019 2:23 PM

Feb 2018
StargazerSazuri said:
xShinigami3125 said:

I'm just informing ya mate.

How to bypass 30 chars.

That was superfluous, also I wouldn't try to evade the 30 char limit, if I was you. I recently got ip banned for two days, because of that.
Jan 13, 2019 2:44 PM

Feb 2015
xShinigami3125 said:
StargazerSazuri said:

I'm just informing ya mate on that topic.

That was superfluous, also I wouldn't try to evade the 30 char limit, if I was you. I recently got ip banned for two days, because of that.

What are you talking about? Who is trying to evade the 30 character limit? :)
Insert Text Here
Jan 13, 2019 5:47 PM

Jul 2014
xShinigami3125 said:

This is largely how I feel too, but Bloom into You made me change my mind a bit. Submissiveness in female leads is incredibly annoying if its played up as an appealing quality of the character. But if its something that the character works to improve on as part of their natural character development, then I think its fine to have as a core part of their personality.
Jan 13, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
UglyBarnacle said:
xShinigami3125 said:

This is largely how I feel too, but Bloom into You made me change my mind a bit. Submissiveness in female leads is incredibly annoying if its played up as an appealing quality of the character. But if its something that the character works to improve on as part of their natural character development, then I think its fine to have as a core part of their personality.

That never occurred to me. The idea of a female character who starts off submissive (weak) to being dominant (strong) is very appealing, but I haven't seen any anime do it.
Jan 13, 2019 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
There is nothing more awesome to me than a female character who has complete and total confidence in herself and her abilities. This way more rare than it should be considering the number of anime I've seen, however a recent example of this would be Monna from Dragon Ball Super.

I adore you Monna.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 13, 2019 6:41 PM

Jan 2015
I definitely want more series with badass female leads like Junketsu no Maria, Houseki no Kuni, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, and Cross Ange.

Having a badass female lead is so rare so when it comes around I cant help but love it.

And please spare me from "strong female chars" like saber or whatever, I talk about real female leads not love interest of some dude.
Jan 13, 2019 8:28 PM

Jun 2011
Yes. So much. Hard enough to find in Shounen and Sports anime, but somehow it's even harder to find distinct, powerful, and inspiring girls in the Shoujo genre. Unless I'm not looking in the right places? But pretty sure the ratio of submissive to dominant female leads even today is like 1,000 to 1.

My favorites (in any genre) off the top of my head are Tsukasa from Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Himeno from Pretear, Kiri from Beauty Pop, Kyoko from Skip Beat (same mangaka as TCP), and Sora from Kaleido Star.. there are more in my repertoire but they're all second fiddle to the main male protagonist :/

EDIT: I guess the OP emphasis wasn't on main characters, but it's 2019. Tired of hanging out in the background.
Jan 13, 2019 8:31 PM

Jan 2018
Nah, because the most in anime besides a beta male is dominant female they just aren't my type.

Instead, we should have more male dominant characters.
Jan 13, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
HiChewGaSuki said:
Yes. So much. Hard enough to find in Shounen and Sports anime, but somehow it's even harder to find distinct, powerful, and inspiring girls in the Shoujo genre. Unless I'm not looking in the right places? But pretty sure the ratio of submissive to dominant female leads even today is like 1,000 to 1.

My favorites (in any genre) off the top of my head are Tsukasa from Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Himeno from Pretear, Kiri from Beauty Pop, Kyoko from Skip Beat (same mangaka as TCP), and Sora from Kaleido Star.. there are more in my repertoire but they're all second fiddle to the main male protagonist :/

EDIT: I guess the OP emphasis wasn't on main characters, but it's 2019. Tired of hanging out in the background.

I meant dominant in ANY way, including lead roles.
Jan 13, 2019 9:47 PM
Jul 2018
Hell no, I hate overly dominant people or at least characters, whose dominance is praised. On the other hand I like some, who are portrayed as assholes a little bit.
But confidence is a good thing, but they don't have to be forced to be like that. People are different after all, easy as that.
Jan 14, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2018
UglyBarnacle said:
xShinigami3125 said:

A character being more submissive isn't a negative thing, but it gets redundant, and simply uninteresting, so some diversity of character writing would be great.
Jan 14, 2019 10:17 AM

Oct 2014
What's truly lacking are "dominant" protagonists in general regardless of gender/sex. Because that's something that's not too easy to find due to that strange tendency to have "normal high school students" and such as protagonists. For some reason Japanese anime/manga/LN authors tend to write their main protagonists as submissive regardless of gender/sex, though that's probably due to the "humility culture" of Japan where everyone has to appear humble and polite on the surface.
Jan 14, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2008
No, because in most recent anime females are way more dominant than males.

If anything, we need more dominant men to even out the odds.
Jan 14, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Grey-Zone said:
What's truly lacking are "dominant" protagonists in general regardless of gender/sex. Because that's something that's not too easy to find due to that strange tendency to have "normal high school students" and such as protagonists. For some reason Japanese anime/manga/LN authors tend to write their main protagonists as submissive regardless of gender/sex, though that's probably due to the "humility culture" of Japan where everyone has to appear humble and polite on the surface.

I want an anime where the MC is a sadistic woman (s&m consensual sadistic, not loves-to-hurt-people-like-a-psychopath-sadistic)!
Jan 14, 2019 11:51 AM

Oct 2014
Darklord_bg said:
No, because in most recent anime females are way more dominant than males.

If anything, we need more dominant men to even out the odds.

To be fair, none of those "dominant female characters" actually seem well written and they only seem to exist to appeal to the femdom-cons.

Though I certainly don't mind more dominant male protagonists. It would be good if it's also presented in other ways than just pure excessive ecchi, because at some point it just starts to feel outright silly.

HopefulNihilist said:
I want an anime where the MC is a sadistic woman (s&m consensual sadistic, not loves-to-hurt-people-like-a-psychopath-sadistic)!

Sure, why not. Haven't seen any anime with a female protagonist like that yet. For some reason female protagonists in anime tend to be short, stubborn flat-chested teenage girls. I guess it's because that's the typical shoujo protagonist, I do think it's now time to move on from that stereotype into something different, like what you suggested.
Jan 14, 2019 12:00 PM
Jan 2019
Why do people always need to be dominant? Why can't they just get along and meet each other with kindness on the same level.
Jan 14, 2019 12:03 PM

May 2015
HECK yes. We need more girls like Utena
My Candies:
Jan 14, 2019 12:05 PM
Aug 2015
I shouldn't give a shit about the gender as long as it's a good main character, but I have to admit that female main characters are quite refreshing!
Jan 18, 2019 1:10 AM

Jan 2019
Yes, is my answer. Being kinky myself (submissive) I get a kick out of watching a dominant female boss around dudes. Esdeath was perfect except for the fact that she was a total psychopath. Less murdering, more femdom, please xD! (I jest, her character arc was built on her basically being raised as a merciless hunter/survivalist)

Oh, and also less whimpering wet-bag submissive male types. Too often people conflate having a submissive (sexual) nature with weakness when in actual fact a lot of the time it couldn't be farther from the truth. Although to be honest the exaggerated behaviour I've seen in some anime (can't think of a specific example off the top of my head) is probably just me not having a complete understanding of Japanese culture.

If you meant dominant in terms of "more assertive and takes control of the situations she finds herself in/overcomes adversity without seeking help from others" then I'm all up for that too.
CallMeHootJan 18, 2019 1:32 AM
Jan 18, 2019 1:16 AM

Apr 2013
Yes, more dominant ones and more female protagonists would be nice. It's just a nice change of pace to see female characters in a male-dominated character type more often.
Jan 18, 2019 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
You already have Senjougahara. Personally, I would prefer cooler looking character designs. She doesn't have to be dominant, but it will be cool if she has a pretty/cute and confident face, a slim and muscular body with 6 lean packs, and an sexy outfit befitting her well trained physique. Oh boy, that would be sexy as hell. Anything unique is welcome. Fuck the moe bullshit.
Jan 18, 2019 1:39 AM
May 2017
Friendly reminder:
If you voted "No," you're a sexist P.O.S.
Jan 18, 2019 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, we do need to undermine masculinity and increasingly pervert expectations in every industry possible, so I do believe that sexually dominant females are a must in anime.

ZaBici said:
A woman cannot love until she has achieved something in life. There's really no other form of woman I can love. Strong women aren't a "race" they're THE women.

A woman who devotes her time to raising a beautiful family has accomplished wonders.

Basicpleb420 said:
Friendly reminder:

Do I get an award?
Jan 18, 2019 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
papsoshea said:
I just want good stories and good characters.

I second this. If a woman is dominant but the story is good, then so be it. It's not my preference but I enjoy characters like Samus Aran (though she isn't dominant over men, per se) and Motoko Kusanagi (who is also not 'dominant' over her colleagues but rather complimentary - and happens to be the best at the job).

When it comes to sexual dominance though, which I believe is what this topic was originally going for: hell no. We need not make everything overly sexual and furthermore, I am tired of weak men bowing down to women and kissing their feet.
removed-userJan 18, 2019 1:54 AM
Jan 18, 2019 1:55 AM
Jul 2018
Basicpleb420 said:
Friendly reminder:

Also, you are a rapist too. Pick wisely.
Jan 18, 2019 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
There is nothing more awesome to me than a female character who has complete and total confidence in herself and her abilities. This way more rare than it should be considering the number of anime I've seen, however a recent example of this would be Monna from Dragon Ball Super.

I adore you Monna.

And you list a landwhale as your 'empowered' female character. It doesn't get any better than this, folks
Jan 18, 2019 1:59 AM
Jul 2018
HeroicIdealism said:
EndlessMaria said:

I adore you Monna.

And you list a landwhale as your 'empowered' female character. It doesn't get any better than this, folks

"landwhale"
i'm dead
People's taste in female characters truly differs. It's life at its finest.
Jan 18, 2019 2:01 AM

Jan 2017
Putting in dominant female characters into a story just because people demand it because "girl power" is the newest fad in movies, TV, and anime is a terrible idea.

These characters tend to be Mary Sues since the creators fear backlash and at worst can be genuine story breakers.
Jan 18, 2019 3:28 AM

Jul 2007
HeroicIdealism said:

lol I see the irony but I think she really is pretty awesome.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 18, 2019 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
HeroicIdealism said:

lol I see the irony but I think she really is pretty awesome.

Fair enough. She looks like she could be endearing in her own way, lol.
Jan 18, 2019 4:04 AM

Jan 2019
HeroicIdealism said:
papsoshea said:
I just want good stories and good characters.
When it comes to sexual dominance though, which I believe is what this topic was originally going for: hell no. We need not make everything overly sexual and furthermore, I am tired of weak men bowing down to women and kissing their feet.

As I mentioned in my post earlier in the thread, be careful not to conflate weakness with submissiveness in a sexual sense. They are not the same thing at all. I can understand why this is viewed as being the case though as sometimes even show writers / authors seem to think these two traits are one and the same.

As for wanting good stories and characters I agree with that statement. Do I like dominant females? Yes (see my earlier post) but would I watch a show purely for the sake of it having a dominant woman in it? No. It would have to have a story that revolved around either the relationship dynamic or just a story that was good besides the point of a character being female and dominant.
Jan 18, 2019 4:16 AM

Jan 2019
Just more variety would be great, all female protagonists in new anime seem very samey, its either
"Genki girl with huge boobs"
"cool girl with black/dark blue/dark purple hair"
"Sexy woman with huge boobs" or "Loli tsundere with a boob complex" its repetitive and boring..
Jan 18, 2019 4:26 AM

Oct 2015
Just don't write a character that's entire existence consists on a few traits. That goes for being strong and independant, being cute and naive, being cool and aloof etc. I especially see the strong female character just for the sake of having a strong female character in western fiction a lot and it's just as bad as other tropes. Good writing everyone, good writing should be the goal.
Jan 18, 2019 4:39 AM

Oct 2017
always. especially women who look like they could whoop my ass in a fight
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Jan 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Sep 2017
Sorry but I had enough with "female empowerment" in the mainstream media (movies like Ghostbusters, TV series and shows). I don't want a SJW agenda here too. I just want well writen characters regardless of gender, If writers add a strong female character just for the sake of having a strong female character... eh... I think I'm in the minority here :/

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Jan 18, 2019 5:29 AM

Oct 2014
TomatoSempai said:
Sorry but I had enough with "female empowerment" in the mainstream media (movies like Ghostbusters, TV series and shows). I don't want a SJW agenda here too. I just want well writen characters regardless of gender, If writers add a strong female character just for the sake of having a strong female character... eh... I think I'm in the minority here :/

Actually this makes you a part of the Majority here.

Most of us want the well written (or ecchi) kind of Dominant Female instead of the SJW agenda Dominant Female.

We like Character with Agency and being able to be Dominant just proves that the character has agency.
Jan 18, 2019 5:30 AM
Dec 2018
I would love a badass Mc! Like if Naruto were a girl! The promised neverland Mc is great I love her but I in general would like to see more stories with female characters as the lead like how sick would it be to have a one piece or hunterxhunter type story where there’s a female lead?? We need this!
Jan 18, 2019 5:41 AM

Feb 2011
HeroicIdealism said:

ZaBici said:

A woman who devotes her time to raising a beautiful family has accomplished wonders.

Not what I was going for. Homestay moms are the plague. Fucking bums.
Closer.
Jan 18, 2019 5:48 AM

Aug 2018
Yes but not in a dominant anime sexual/fetishist way.
I want a female character that is secure, strong and badass and wears something that covers most of her persona with no cleavage involved (im looking at you damn spandex suits).

Yeah yeah i know its a dream, let me live on my utopia.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jan 18, 2019 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
HeroicIdealism said:
Yeah, we do need to undermine masculinity and increasingly pervert expectations in every industry possible, so I do believe that sexually dominant females are a must in anime.

I literally clarified in my original post that when I was talking about dominant female characters, I didn't necessarily mean dominant in a sexual way. Did you read my original post?
Jan 18, 2019 8:05 AM

Mar 2016
Yes, especially with gap moe. But looking at this thread, my definition of 'dominant' is obviously different from what most people see it as. (dominant isn't a synonym for violent)

'Femdom' is often badly handled in anime, if it's there at all, but it would be nice to see more of it.
Jan 18, 2019 8:17 AM

Jan 2019
I love well written characters, so if we could move away from traditional tsundere cliche and have actual dominant females, that'd be great.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Jan 18, 2019 9:43 PM
Jul 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
HeroicIdealism said:

I literally clarified in my original post that when I was talking about dominant female characters, I didn't necessarily mean dominant in a sexual way. Did you read my original post?

You clarified that after the fact. Your OG post was clearly sexual. "I like femdom", you said in the first sentence. "I want more of it".
HopefulNihilist said:
I really liked Monster Musume for the fact that the female cast is so secure with their sexuality, and dominant with it.

But nope, you added a quick edit, so I guess your post wasn't sexual all along. My bad.

ZaBici said:
HeroicIdealism said:

Not what I was going for. Homestay moms are the plague. Fucking bums.

What do you think they do all day, watch Hallmark? What if they, oh, I dunno, actually take care of their children? Instead of shoving them in a daycare that'll raise and indoctrinate them instead?
I'll tell you what, my mother was not a bum in the least. She took care of four children, kept the house in shape, did all the shopping, cooked 3 meals a day, helped out with the community (this is important and is commonly overlooked by anti-housewives)... Wasn't a bum in the least. And to think so is truly anti-woman, for this is what women have done throughout all of history, until 50 years ago when now they are expected to be and compete with men.
removed-userJan 18, 2019 9:49 PM
Jan 18, 2019 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
@HeroicIdealism

Okay I admit it, it's my fault, I'm sorry. I should've clarified from the START that when I said, "dominant" female characters, I meant "dominant" in any way: sexual, non-sexual, lead role, being able to kick ass, etc.
Jan 19, 2019 1:41 AM

Nov 2008
syncrogazer said:
Yes, especially with gap moe. But looking at this thread, my definition of 'dominant' is obviously different from what most people see it as. (dominant isn't a synonym for violent)

'Femdom' is often badly handled in anime, if it's there at all, but it would be nice to see more of it.

Basically this. Anime often thinks a dominant woman is one that is rude and violent, and for that matter masochists are often ridiculous over the top "cartoony" caricatures too. Proper sadism, please.
Jan 19, 2019 1:58 AM

Jan 2019
ZettaiRyouiki said:
syncrogazer said:

Basically this. Anime often thinks a dominant woman is one that is rude and violent, and for that matter masochists are often ridiculous over the top "cartoony" caricatures too. Proper sadism, please.

Agree. I'd like to see an anime that handled a female led D/s relationship well where the characters weren't just a caricature of what that actually looks like (sorry for stealing your word, man, it's just very appropriate here). I mean there are always anime that play up the various elements of such a relationship for comedic effect which is fine, but I'd like to see a more mature approach someday in anime.

The whole "Domme is violent/nuts & sub is unconfident/loser" representation is often so far off the mark from how most of these relationships are in reality.

EDIT :- I would also be down for a totally cutesy representation of a F/m relationship, i.e.

CallMeHootJan 19, 2019 2:04 AM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

41 by Euroqean »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

34 by Shirayukin »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

66 by EastIndiaCompany »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

12 by ShatteredSans »»
14 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.