Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 17, 2018 3:38 PM

Dec 2016
The show is not bad, or is at least better than Soul of Gold to earn an overall score way lower than it.

We're reaching Omega levels here, whis is really sad. It doesn't deserve it (so far, obviously).

Thoughts?
Dec 17, 2018 6:50 PM
Sep 2017
I think some score like 7.50 or less would be more realistic to first episodes than some 6.60,It's very underrated.
Dec 17, 2018 7:32 PM
Aug 2012
I liked the first episode. Animation was ok, I think this is the best thing we get from Saint Seiya since Lost Canvas.

This is the minimum quality I'd expect from Netflix, but guess what, Toei >> Netflix.
Dec 17, 2018 9:45 PM
May 2018
It definitely deserves higher score; being ONA, I kind of expected it not to be so good, but first two episodes so far were really satisfying.
Dec 17, 2018 9:48 PM

May 2016
it's actually so low when imo it should be higher so hm

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Dec 18, 2018 5:48 AM
Dec 2018
The first episodes are introductory. As of episode 4 goes better enough
Dec 18, 2018 2:56 PM

Jun 2016
Definitely. It's way too low currently. :(
Dec 18, 2018 3:50 PM

Dec 2016
jirico said:
I think this is the best thing we get from Saint Seiya since Lost Canvas.

It certainly is. Doesn't look kiddy like Omega neither a cashgrab/action figure advertisement like SoG was....
Dec 18, 2018 6:26 PM
Sep 2017
jirico said:
I liked the first episode. Animation was ok, I think this is the best thing we get from Saint Seiya since Lost Canvas.

This is the minimum quality I'd expect from Netflix, but guess what, Toei >> Netflix.

The Netflix reboot is animated by Toei.
Dec 19, 2018 10:21 PM
Apr 2018
I actually disagree I was disappointed with this show since I have read the manga. Its hard to take the characters seriously when they seem somewhat like moe characters which makes them seem like middle schoolers rather than high school. It's a shame since the character designs are simply wonderful in the manga. So yeah I really have no complaints with the shows ratings since they are pretty spot on when it comes to how I currently see this series.
Dec 25, 2018 9:07 AM
Aug 2012
AlexandreFreitas said:

But the main executive decisions( including 3D CGI and Shuna ) and the budget come mostly from Netflix.
Dec 25, 2018 5:19 PM
Sep 2017
jirico said:
AlexandreFreitas said:

But the main executive decisions( including 3D CGI and Shuna ) and the budget come mostly from Netflix.

Really? I was sure that only the cash came from Netflix. The other decisions wasn't made at all by Toei? How do you know these informations?
Dec 26, 2018 4:47 AM
Jul 2010
As a long time Saint Seiya fan, this series is really bad. Scores are meant to assess the value of something, and I think the trend of rating from 5-10 instead of 1-10 (I see way too many people only giving low ratings out of spite towards a franchise or a fanbase) really renders the MAL rating system obsolete. 6.50 is way too high for garbage like this. Not even a Gold Saint cameo per episode can save this.

I rated this a 3 out of 10, which coincidentally became my lowest rated SS score. I dropped Omega after +20 episodes, though. Dunno how many episodes of Saintia Shou are going to come out, but judging from episode 3, not many more. If the story stretches out too much, this is a sure drop.

Dec 26, 2018 2:41 PM

Jun 2012
Waro9 said:
I actually disagree I was disappointed with this show since I have read the manga. Its hard to take the characters seriously when they seem somewhat like moe characters which makes them seem like middle schoolers rather than high school. It's a shame since the character designs are simply wonderful in the manga. So yeah I really have no complaints with the shows ratings since they are pretty spot on when it comes to how I currently see this series.

Actually, arent they supposed to be 13-15? If so, middle school look fit them more :) http://saintseiya.wikia.com/wiki/Saori_Kido_(Saintia-Sh%C5%8D)
Dec 29, 2018 8:49 PM

Mar 2014
My eyes hurt with this level of adaptation TT^TT

Without considering comparisons to the manga, this anime is fine (6) so it doesn't deserve a score lower of 4 (which is considered "bad" in myanimelist terms). At least is decent enough to introduce a friend mine to watch Saint Seiya.
Dec 31, 2018 2:16 PM
Jun 2016
AlexandreFreitas said:
jirico said:

Really? I was sure that only the cash came from Netflix. The other decisions wasn't made at all by Toei? How do you know these informations?

The screenwriter staff were all employed by Netflix (no writer in that series is Japanese for staters), and the lead screenwriter, Eugene Son, wrote in his Twitter that the gender change of Shun, and even characters renames were his ideas, in that Twitt he even said that the staff of Toei were asking him again and again if he was sure about those changes.
The 3D animation i'm not really sure who's idea was, but it looks more like a American 3D cartoon than a 3D Anime, so I think that was also idea of Netflix
Jan 3, 2019 5:53 PM
Sep 2017
Zero_Fox said:
AlexandreFreitas said:

The screenwriter staff were all employed by Netflix (no writer in that series is Japanese for staters), and the lead screenwriter, Eugene Son, wrote in his Twitter that the gender change of Shun, and even characters renames were his ideas, in that Twitt he even said that the staff of Toei were asking him again and again if he was sure about those changes.
The 3D animation i'm not really sure who's idea was, but it looks more like a American 3D cartoon than a 3D Anime, so I think that was also idea of Netflix

Well,I liked the CGI I think it fits a bit,but the Legend of Sanctuary style would fit it better.
This one must have a very good plot,the animation will not get audience. If the plot goes well,I thnk it will get a 2nd season. This series will never adapt Hades arc I'm sure.
Jan 14, 2019 8:37 PM

Jul 2008
Zero_Fox said:
AlexandreFreitas said:

Wait... I’m confused. Isn’t the Netflix Saint Seiya an adaptation of the original manga/anime that hasn’t even been released yet (due out Summer 2019)? As far as I’ve researched, the adaptation of Saintia Sho doesn’t even have anything to do with Netflix...
Jan 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Dec 2016
6.28 now ... what the bloody heck....
Jan 21, 2019 11:51 PM

Dec 2015
It's certainly not "too low". The Gold ONAs are the ones far too high.
Public-wise, they were both made for the same peoples, and with the same intent. But this is technically better (or at least equivalent) and despite the high-compression and a few weird notes from the adapted manga, it's fitting well in the St Seiya "mold" and rarely strongly clashes with the StS canvas/"spirit".

Also, everyone should stop with this Ω nonsense: this might have been pretty incoherent with Saint Seiya (animated or not) but it didn't seem to suffer from the bane of the brand: in-series incoherencies. Unlike other projects under this name, it was an overall very well designed adventure, relatively well calibrated for its format, media, primary target and given the limitations of the time / obligations. I'm sure the first series was able to bring together kids and their parents who were kids / teens reading/watching StSeiya in the 80s in front of the TV.

=======
@Adnash93 I know, I should have kept my original score (3~4) but it seemed to put shame on the other titles between 3and4^^" But never did I wander around claiming it was an abomination worthy of my or peoples hate (neither before nor here, as you could read).

" I don't believe it interested a lot of people who were not familiar with the franchise before "
It was a Sunday morning TV show. It had callbacks mixed in a fully

(I compared Soul and Saintia because they seem to be after the same peoples.
I admit that the first, in betting on the Gold Saints overexploitation, was a very good calculation. It indeed re-activated among some people I knew the GS-mania they had been suffering many years from and through that made invisible anything else in the series. Or simply magically made the new character versions of the G.S. perfectly acceptable for this part of the audience, while I couldn't "tolerate" them. But I don't want to take this kind of "intelligent scheming" in account.)

PS: to be clear, since I often trouble fanatics of the St Seiya brand (just like "DB"-fanatics), I'll add that even if SoG is the only appalling, I highly disliked both those ONAs and the ΩTV series.
Rei_IIIJan 27, 2019 11:25 PM
Jan 22, 2019 3:03 AM

Dec 2016
Rei366 said:
It's certainly not "too low".

I think in terms of MAL standards, it is. In this site, when something that is not an obscure OVA falls below a score of 6.50, it is certainly then considered as simply utter trash you'd be better staying away from... if the completely average and forgettable seasonal always still manages to get a score above 7.00 here, idk why this one can't get at least the same treatment....
Jan 27, 2019 4:46 PM

Oct 2013
Rei366 said:
It's certainly not "too low". The Gold ONAs are the ones far too high.
Public-wise, they were both made for the same peoples, and with the same intent. But this is technically better (or at least equivalent) and despite the high-compression and a few weird notes from the adapted manga, it's fitting well in the St Seiya "mold" and rarely strongly clashes with the StS canvas/"spirit".

Depends, as for now "Soul of Gold" in my oppinion is simply better than Saintia Sho, not only in terms of art, but mostly because it had a story that was presented at least properly for the audience. Sure, Saintia Sho has better concept for the story, but it's hardly visible if we look at those rushed episodes. You don't even need to read the manga (which is great, by the way) to notice a lot of weak elements present in Saintia Sho, who return with a greater or lesser intensity.

Rei366 said:

Also, everyone should stop with this Ω nonsense: this might have been pretty incoherent with Saint Seiya (animated or not) but it didn't seem to suffer from the bane of the brand: in-series incoherencies. Unlike other projects under this name, it was an overall very well designed adventure, relatively well calibrated for its format, media, primary target and given the limitations of the time / obligations. I'm sure the first series was able to bring together kids and their parents who were kids / teens reading/watching StSeiya in the 80s in front of the TV.

Well, you shouldn't be the one to complain about people slandering Saint Seiya: Omega when you gave a brilliant score of 1/10 to "Soul of Gold". I'm not a fanboy of this anime and I understand that some people could basically dislike it, even dislike it a lot. Although giving it 1/10 score, good for something that can be called as "utter garbage", is just unfair.

About Omega, I liked it. Sure, there were incoherencies, flaws or many elements I just disliked, but in general it was entertaining to watch. It was not that revolutionary as classic "Saint Seiya" and I don't believe it interested a lot of people who were not familiar with the franchise before to actually become big fans of it, but it was a good "fresh start". Something to show "Saint Seiya" to the youth and maybe encourage some of new fans to check out older Saint Seiya's animes, i.e. to see how the story started.

Going back to "Soul of Gold", your accusations on slandering Omega can be easily related to Soul of Gold. Like, we had a good adventure presenting Gold Saints; the plot filled some plotholes; it linked perfectly noncanon events from Asgard's "first encounter" (appeared only in the anime version) with something new. Etc. etc.
Jan 28, 2019 9:52 AM
Jul 2016
My current score for this show is 5. I started with 7, lowered it to 6 after a few episodes, and after the last episode gave it a 5. Obviously, my definitive score will come after the final episode, but so far it was really bad. I don't care about the enemies, there are no epic battles, it's just boring so far. I really want to like this, as I'm a fan of Saint Seiya, but this isn't working for me so far.
Jan 28, 2019 4:41 PM

Oct 2013
(I prefer to reply in separate posts rather than editing the previous ones)

Rei366 said:
@Adnash93 I know, I should have kept my original score (3~4) but it seemed to put shame on the other titles between 3and4^^" But never did I wander around claiming it was an abomination worthy of my or peoples hate (neither before nor here, as you could read).

True, you didn't do it directly and I never wrote you did. Instead I stated the fact that giving something (not only anime) the lowest score (1/10) that implies per se utter garbage is unfair when a product is not an utter garbage. You can dislike something, even hate, but rating it with the lowest possible score without fairly summarizing everything it had lowers the objectivity of your oppinion as seen by other people reading your posts.

It's your rating and you have 100% right to score animes and mangas whatever you like and choose whether you want to be harsh in gauging their quality or be rather mild in your judgements. The thing that dragged my attention was setting together words about people having issues with Saint Seiya: Omega with your words about how Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold is bad and has too big score. It's an internal contradiction, because they might have the same arguments on Omega as you have on Soul of Gold. No need to wonder because of their attitude, because they might have almost exactly the same thoughts on Omega as you have on Soul of Gold, and i.e. be harsh in their judgements on animes' scores as well.

Rei366 said:
" I don't believe it interested a lot of people who were not familiar with the franchise before "
It was a Sunday morning TV show. It had callbacks mixed in a fully

That's true. It had a famous brand behind ("Saint Seiya") and great airing time. Yet mostly old Saint Seiya fans kept their interest on it and keep it to this day, while no new huge fanbase was born (again, I'm not saying that the fanbase should be as huge as first Saint Seiya's, because original series were revolutionary in their own way and it's hard to repeat that kind of success), even though conditions for gradual rise of popularity were met for Omega (as said before).

Rei366 said:
(I compared Soul and Saintia because they seem to be after the same peoples.
I admit that the first, in betting on the Gold Saints overexploitation, was a very good calculation. It indeed re-activated among some people I knew the GS-mania they had been suffering many years from and through that made invisible anything else in the series. Or simply magically made the new character versions of the G.S. perfectly acceptable for this part of the audience, while I couldn't "tolerate" them. But I don't want to take this kind of "intelligent scheming" in account.)

Depends, Soul of Gold expanded anime's canon and Gold Saints as characters. I wouldn't judge it i.e. with manga's canon, because anime is different in many ways. Some were small, some were huge, like brand new Asgard Arc in the anime whose was expanded in Soul of Gold.

About the audience, I have a feeling that both of the animes we are talking about were designed mostly for old Saint Seiya fans. "Soul of Gold" won't bring that much emotions and sense to a viewer if he/she doesn't know what happened earlier in the series; yet still can be entertaining, because its plot is not that complicated. "Saintia Sho", on the other hand, is full of references to the original series and blends perfectly into old canon's plotline, yet Saintia Sho suffers from such elements like rushed story or "plotline's shortcuts". It makes it not much entertaining for a person who is not familiar with the serie and would like to start it from watching Shoko and her friends' adventures. I can say even more - without knowing the manga many elements seem to appear out of blue just to "check on the list" another random appear of an old character. Direction and rushed story is the biggest problem of "Saintia Sho", sadly.

Rei366 said:
PS: to be clear, since I often trouble fanatics of the St Seiya brand (just like "DB"-fanatics), I'll add that even if SoG is the only appalling, I highly disliked both those ONAs and the ΩTV series.

I'm a huge fan of Saint Seiya, but I'm not a blind-minded fanatic (or simply: fanboy) that doesn't accept any negative oppinion on anything related to Saint Seiya. Everyone can share their thoughts and it's fun to hear other people's oppinions. It doesn't matter if they are the same as yours or present more positive or negative oppinion. We are all here on this forum to discuss, after all. ;-)
Mar 1, 2019 10:15 PM

Dec 2016
Arkab said:
The show is not bad, or is at least better than Soul of Gold to earn an overall score way lower than it.

We're reaching Omega levels here, whis is really sad. It doesn't deserve it (so far, obviously).

Thoughts?

8 episodes later and with the show finished now, I can't help but changing my mind. Not counting the LoS movie, this was the worst SS entry I've completed (haven't seen Omega so can't compare), even the non-canon first 4 movies were way more enjoyable and better-executed than this completely underwhelming, uninspiring and poorly directed adaptation.
Mar 1, 2019 10:31 PM

Dec 2015
Arkab said:

8 episodes later and with the show finished now, I can't help but changing my mind. Not counting the LoS movie, this was the worst SS entry I've completed (haven't seen Omega so can't compare), even the non-canon first 4 movies were way more enjoyable and better-executed than this completely underwhelming, uninspiring and poorly directed adaptation.

Ahah, I resisted the urge of pinging you here. Glad you came back by yourself.

Try the first series of Omega, despite everything disconnecting it from StS 's world.

What's with the movies? Shinku Shônen xxx is an exemplary manga side-movie.
(and the 5th is not officially integrated either)
Mar 2, 2019 2:52 AM

Dec 2016
Rei366 said:

What's with the movies? Shinku Shônen xxx is an exemplary manga side-movie.
(and the 5th is not officially integrated either)

I just find them relatively uninteresting, it's hard to get genuinely invested in conflicts that start, develop and conclude in an hour or less, which render them as rather forgettable anecdotes instead of compelling, large-scale confrontations, with almost no relevant impact in the parent storyline.
Apr 8, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2020
I couldnt finish the first episode by how bad this shitshow is. The score is very higher than the anime deserves.
For me it is 2/10
Jun 3, 2020 9:18 AM

Oct 2013
LukYuki said:
I couldnt finish the first episode by how bad this shitshow is. The score is very higher than the anime deserves.
For me it is 2/10

Dude, good that you are not familiar with the manga. xD Because "Saintia Sho" manga is actually pretty good, especially for people like me who are huge fans of Saint Seiya. On the contrary, anime is bad as an anime in general and terrible if compared to other animated positions from Saint Seiya's universe.

I'm not surprised you didn't like it, but trust me - it was even more painful to watch it with knowing how many things present in the manga were not adapted in an anime. If we add to it rather poor quality of this anime, we will get a sad picture of a wasted potential that "Saintia Shou" definitely had.
Jun 4, 2020 11:18 AM

Jan 2020
Adnash93 said:
LukYuki said:
For me it is 2/10

Dude, good that you are not familiar with the manga. xD Because "Saintia Sho" manga is actually pretty good, especially for people like me who are huge fans of Saint Seiya. On the contrary, anime is bad as an anime in general and terrible if compared to other animated positions from Saint Seiya's universe.

I'm not surprised you didn't like it, but trust me - it was even more painful to watch it with knowing how many things present in the manga were not adapted in an anime. If we add to it rather poor quality of this anime, we will get a sad picture of a wasted potential that "Saintia Shou" definitely had.

I can read the manga someday, but the anime is awful
God it is hard to be a saint seiya fan nowadays
Jun 4, 2020 11:28 AM

Oct 2013
LukYuki said:
I can read the manga someday, but the anime is awful
God it is hard to be a saint seiya fan nowadays

Indeed, this anime is bad by itself, but watching it was even more painful when you were familiar with the manga and could see how many elements were skipped or adapted poorly.

Yeah, I recommend reading "Saintia Shou" manga. A fine piece of manga in general, even if you are not really a fan of this franchise; but if you are then I'm sure you will enjoy it even more.

It also has decent art and character development (unlike this anime adaptation we are talking about, lol).

More topics from this board

» Can you watch this with no prior Saint Seiya experience or knowledge?

Lloydy33 - Jan 14, 2021

4 by Vector5003 »»
Jul 2, 2022 10:22 PM

» Watch or drop

literally_boba - Jun 25, 2021

4 by Saint-Sheepy »»
Oct 21, 2021 9:23 PM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 10 Discussion

Illyricus - Feb 18, 2019

23 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 5, 2020 10:48 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 9 Discussion

Fayrin - Feb 11, 2019

8 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 5, 2020 9:08 AM

Poll: » Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou Episode 8 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Feb 4, 2019

9 by Nurguburu »»
Oct 5, 2020 7:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.