Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2018 6:33 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Flampe! she's cute but kind of a b*tch :^)
Nami threatening Prometheus was amazing >:^)
Luffy's Observation Haki is evolving, we're reaching the climax of the battle!
Dec 15, 2018 6:43 PM

Apr 2014
Man Katakuri is already knowing that Luffy is going to see the future like him. Oh boy.
Dec 15, 2018 7:23 PM

Oct 2015
Luffy is almost there in seeing the future, he should hang on a bit longer. Those punches by Katakuri were really merciless, damn can that commander pack one. That back training by Luffy and Rayleigh was really funny. I'm quite impressed by Luffy's focus throughout the fight, considering he is made to be dumb and doesn't pay attention to many things.

Zeus is in for it now, Nami will surely make him a slave, poor cloud I guess that's what you get for defying a devious woman XD.

Great episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 15, 2018 9:44 PM

Jul 2007
Many of the CR fans constantly bash almost every episode of this arc. But with this episode in particular, i think its fitting considering it showcases just how observation haki is and how to sence the presence of some one. In the manga it almost felt a bit rushed and he mastered it to quickly.

Dec 16, 2018 12:02 AM
Dec 2010
link9us said:
Many of the CR fans constantly bash almost every episode of this arc.

The reason is simple: repetitiveness. Virtually every episode for the last four months has been the same thing, over and over again.

Watching Luffy get stomped for almost twenty episodes is really boring. Hearing Big Mom scream "wedding cake!" and "mama, mama!", as some lame zombie, has me to the point that I'm actually starting to hate the words cake and mama.

It shouldn't take this damn long for things to develop. For every one minute of something new that actually progresses the story, there seems to be 5 minutes of nothingness. Which basically amounts to ~3 minutes of worthwhile content each episode (on average).

The PACING of this arc is just excruciating and I didn't think it could be slower than Dressrosa, but here we are. When you add on the fact that Luffy has been a literal punching bag for the last 14 months, the show just becomes a real chore to watch.
Dec 16, 2018 12:59 AM

Sep 2014
Ugh, Flampe's debut. At least, Nami's sadistic look on Zeus and Luffy hitting Reiligh's food were hilarious to watch. And Luffy is starting to see the future.
Dec 16, 2018 2:39 AM

Oct 2015
The pacing was horrible this episode. I thought we'd get further in the story in this episode, but apparently nah. Somehow I'm getting a deja vu, as if Luffy has already dodged a few attacks, and Katakuri has already noticed Luffy "getting there". The last few episodes have been about it, and not much has changed.

I hope next episode we are advancing to the point I'm thinking of from the manga.

Oh, and the most disgusting/annoying character of the entire series appeared this episode. Guess who?

Also, Katakuri's face is so sexy here:
Dec 16, 2018 4:47 AM

Feb 2013
Haha, Rayleigh couldn't control himself after his dinner was blasted away.
Luffy is starting to dodge more attacks.
Dec 16, 2018 5:11 AM

Jun 2015
Dayum, shit's bout to get serious.
Dec 16, 2018 7:10 AM

Nov 2018
The animation quality has quite improved from Dressrosa and Punk Hazard.
Dec 16, 2018 7:43 AM

Jul 2013
Luffy's just using Katakuri to train lol but for how long? Fuck it I'm getting impatient.
Dec 16, 2018 8:18 AM

Dec 2008
Good episode but I feel this Arc is dragging too much now.
Dec 16, 2018 2:19 PM

Jul 2016
F8L-Fool said:
link9us said:
Many of the CR fans constantly bash almost every episode of this arc.

The reason is simple: repetitiveness. Virtually every episode for the last four months has been the same thing, over and over again.

Watching Luffy get stomped for almost twenty episodes is really boring. Hearing Big Mom scream "wedding cake!" and "mama, mama!", as some lame zombie, has me to the point that I'm actually starting to hate the words cake and mama.

It shouldn't take this damn long for things to develop. For every one minute of something new that actually progresses the story, there seems to be 5 minutes of nothingness. Which basically amounts to ~3 minutes of worthwhile content each episode (on average).

The PACING of this arc is just excruciating and I didn't think it could be slower than Dressrosa, but here we are. When you add on the fact that Luffy has been a literal punching bag for the last 14 months, the show just becomes a real chore to watch.

Luffy should have died like 1000000 punches ago.

The whole katakuri fight is bullshit. I thought katakuri was supposed to be a tough dude? Seems like his puches mean jack shit.
Dec 16, 2018 3:56 PM

Jul 2013
Even if it was just a tiny bit I liked the flashback of Luffys training with Rayleigh. I think during the training Luffy didn't understood to 100% what Rayleigh meant. But now in his fight with Katakuri he get's better and better even if it's slow. And that's what Katakuri also sees.

I think 1 or 2 more episodes, maybe 3 and Luffy will be able to dodge most of Katakuris attacks.

The scene with Zeus and Nami was just to hilarious. Does someone who reads the manga know if Zeus will stay with Nami? That would be pretty cool.

Seems like Sanji will be finished with the wedding cake in the next episode. Can't wait to see if he can overwhelm Big Mom with it.
Natsu88Dec 17, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 16, 2018 7:39 PM

Oct 2017
I'am waiting for the moment when Luffy finally win this fight! I'am anxious.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 16, 2018 7:43 PM

Oct 2017
Natsu88 said:
Even if it was just a tiny bit I liked the flashback of Luffys training with Rayleigh. I think during the training Luffy didn't understood to 100% what Rayleigh meant. But now in his fight with Katakuri he get's better and better even if it's slow. And that's what Katakuri also sees.

I think 1 or 2 more episode, maybe 3 and Luffy will be able to dodge most of Katakuris attacks.

The scene with Zeus and Nami was just to hilarious. Does someone who reads the manga know if Zeus will stay with Nami? That would be pretty cool.

Seems like Sanji will be finished with the wedding cake in the next episode. Can't wait to see if he can overwhelm Big Mom with it.
He's stay at the moment, inside the crusier of Nami.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 16, 2018 7:43 PM

Dec 2013
Nami and Zues part was hilarious.

Looks like Luffy is making progress with his haki. Slow progress but progress.
Dec 17, 2018 12:42 AM
Oct 2018
at which chapter is the latest episode of one piece animated???
Dec 17, 2018 3:54 AM

Jun 2012
Khal_Russ said:
at which chapter is the latest episode of one piece animated???

It's chapter 891.
SughsiDec 17, 2018 3:58 AM
Dec 17, 2018 6:43 AM
Dec 2010
Vindicater said:

The whole katakuri fight is bullshit. I thought katakuri was supposed to be a tough dude? Seems like his puches mean jack shit.

Honestly, it feels like the only thing Katakuri has going for him is the fact he can't get hit. It's like he's all defense and no offense. He wins through wearing people down and breaking their will.

I mean if he had some enormous offensive power as well I don't see how Luffy could take all those Haki hits. Unless Luffy is the toughest dude in the One Piece universe or something. The whole fight is just frustrating and terrible.
Dec 17, 2018 11:26 AM
Mar 2018
The actual fight now begins!!
Dec 17, 2018 1:46 PM

Mar 2016
Jesus what kind of animation was that.... My eyes .....

Dec 17, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2016
F8L-Fool said:
Vindicater said:

Honestly, it feels like the only thing Katakuri has going for him is the fact he can't get hit. It's like he's all defense and no offense. He wins through wearing people down and breaking their will.

I mean if he had some enormous offensive power as well I don't see how Luffy could take all those Haki hits. Unless Luffy is the toughest dude in the One Piece universe or something. The whole fight is just frustrating and terrible.

Yep, they have ruined any sort of respect I had for Katakuri. He is weak as piss.
Dec 18, 2018 7:10 PM

May 2014
I had to give a love response because we saw the dark king Rayleigh + Luffy moment. Daym, nice to see Rayleigh once again. Been really long time since we saw a scene of him. Last time we saw him in this arc it was only a glimpse. I think most of you guys in the comment section below are satisfied with a small progression of their fight. Finally, after a looooooooooooong dragged out fight (which is a fact and not a complaint from my side, by the way) Luffy is finally able to predict some of Katakuri's movements. Interesting what his new transformation is gonna be (this have been hinted to us from the beginning of this OP, so no it's not a spoiler). It's gonna be nice to see Luffy reading movement in future fights.

Hahha, I also loved that Nami and Zeus moment. Poor Zeus is in a pinch and won't get out very easy from Nami's grasp. xD

PS! Anyone else who noticed Prometheus with Rinnegan, 17:45. Maybe he can suck some chakra from Nami's enormous tits. She would need some of that. ;)
Dec 19, 2018 12:32 PM

May 2016
Is it just me or at some scene Luffy looked really similar to Gol.D Roger and damn I loved that fact I know he looks similar but today it was clear as day.
Dec 20, 2018 1:55 AM

Dec 2014
ok so the girl in the opening was a little sister....seems like luffy just about got it to make a counter attack
Dec 22, 2018 10:26 AM

Jul 2008
And now we are approaching the 100 times gravity portion of the training.

Katakuri better start worrying.
Dec 28, 2018 10:20 PM

Feb 2015
The fight between Luffy and Katakuri continues. Flampe appeared in the mirroworld spying Katakuri’s fight. Luffy starts to understand observation haki and remembers Rayleigh’s teachings about being patient and understanding your rival’s intentions. Big Mom got electrocuted and fell in Prometheus, Mugiwaras try to escape, Brook returned to the ship and they caught Zeus (little version, technically Nami convinced him to join her). Katakuri realizes that Luffy’s haki is getting better.

The eternal fight continues, but now Luffy is developing another skill, for me, if Luffy dominates observation haki in these three episodes, that would be so rush, taking in count that we don’t know how much time it took to Katakuri to do it. Mugiwaras are still trying to escape, but without a chance.
Jan 9, 2019 3:45 AM

Apr 2013
The introduction of that little sister was completely unnecessary, just another character they can waste time on to slow the story down.
Feb 4, 2019 9:52 AM
Jun 2015
So Luffy is slowly starting to see the future like Katakuri. This fight seems like it's going on forever.
Mar 31, 2019 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
Flampe didn't really do it for me, more annoying than cute imo.

Luffy's finally learning, should become really interesting (if they don't show us the other gang running around for another 4/5 episodes)
May 31, 2019 8:29 AM

Mar 2015
Wew a Luffy with Haki of Observation like Katakuri is surely a step up!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 19, 2020 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
Luffy is slowly but surely starting to learn advanced observation Haki. Still, it's inconsistent, a hit or miss, and he is only able to focus on one attack at a time. Understandable really, Luffy is just unlocking it. No way he is going to be prodigious at it from the get-go. He just needs to apply it consistently and start to get the hang of it. I like how it is showcasing Luffy's progress. Like there is no hax or middle ground here. Do you want to defeat a far superior opponent? Well, you better start developing your skills.

Flampe? The first impression is I don't like her. She seems like the sort of person who would love another purely out of the superficial image she has built regarding them. She looks fake.
Jul 8, 2020 7:25 PM
Dec 2014
That young sister introduction was annoying a bad why to make the dragged pace even worse.At least the fight have some kind of progression.
Aug 11, 2020 11:38 PM

Jun 2016
The Katakuri Fight’s Shortcomings contrasting Zoro versus Mr. 1
In the past I compared this fight to the Zoro versus Mr.1 of Alabasta. It is very similar in purpose and drive, that of a character faced with an antagonist they cannot beat unless they learn to surpass their limits and which they will do by getting the hell beaten out of them willingly with the personal drive of growth. However if I recall correctly, Zoro’s fight was a single episode, although it probably had smaller scenes leading up to the focused episode. I am not saying that this fight should parallel that one directly, not by any means. This fight is so much higher in scale than that one, further, Zoro one shot his foe once he learned his lesson and I highly doubt that will happen in this occurrence. Therefore we need it to be longer, bigger, more climactic, and more complex. Regardless I do wish it was done differently.

Since this fight is so similar to Zoro versus Mr. 1, it makes it valuable to compare why one fight works and why this one not so much. I don't have a perfect memory but it seems quite clear to me looking back. Zoro pushed himself and pushed himself and we weren't sure how or when he would overcome his foe. It was concise and brutal, there was a sense of rising action as we saw everything Zoro tried to do fail until finally, he collapsed on the brink of death. Because I wasn't sure what would end up defeating Mr.1, I hung onto every move, there was a sense of escalation every step of the way. This was helped by how fast and snappy it all was. All of this made me highly invested in the final blow when Zoro tapped into the training of his past and learned how to put a new ability to the test- a scene this episode directly paralled.

Meanwhile, there was a distinct difference in the lead up of this fight. There definitely needed to be but I feel it was done in a way which makes this fight feel far less gripping than the Mr.1 fight. Round 1 could largely be cut out, it needed some aspects of that sequence, but we can easily imagine Luffy starting with the haki knowledge(akin to knowing Mr.1 is made of steel) and exploring Katakuri in a different context. Instead, we’ve seen the same occurrence of Luffy ramming his head against a wall over and over again when we as an audience already had the knowledge that nothing would work. The fact that we didn't know what would work against Mr. 1 is largely what made the rising action so gripping when we saw one of our strongest boys losing. Further, rising action is a word we need to look at because I don’t think that has happened until the last few episodes. Finally Luffy has an emotional drive to defeat Katakuri, and finally he is trying to apply a strategy to win which we know could work, but that what we have seen is not rising action at all but rather stagnation. The same attacks we know will be futile being thrown out and stopped as the two characters repeat the same ‘you can’t beat me’, ‘I will beat you’ dialogue which I kind of wish shounen kept to once a fight.

Therefore, I argue that if this fight was more concise, if the characters were on the same playing field or if we as an audience didn't know the problem from the very beginning alongside Luffy then there would be true rising action as we too tried to understand the enemy and felt every failure rather than this stagnation, and if the fight was more concise along with that rising action then this would be far more amazing. I wouldn't be bored and waiting for the obvious to get done with. I admit that what we are about to witness could be incredible and one of the best moments for Luffy in the series, could seriously develop him further, as well as feature a fight which could move the fighting mechanics of the series to new limits. I see all of those amazing aspects to look forward to but I simply wanted to focus this post on why there is a bad taste in my mouth regardless. A feeling of regret that what we have gotten it's not the ideal, and in fact, that we may have already gotten a better version of this fight what, 746 episodes ago?

Episode Thoughts
Outside of that there are a few episode specific things to mention, one is the added rules of observational haki. By stating that animals are easy to predict because they show all of their emotions we can see why Luffy would be a particularly easy person to predict. The flip side of this is that one can actually control their emotions and cheat their opponent, potentially lying to them or sending them a fake intention. But ultimately there will always be a hint of intent within their presence so if you can spot that and stay composed then you can have a very good idea about what they are going to do. Finally we are seeing what a high-level observational haki fight could look like theoretically.

We saw another characterizing moment for Katakuri as the crowd fawned over him and had the little sister state, quite on the nose at that, if he wasn't perfect, he would disappoint them. This echoes the sentiment of Brulee stating that there was a rumour that this man is so noble and perfect that he never lied on his back even as a baby. That hysterical story now has quite the sad context, it is the crushing expectations that have been put on Katakuri, expectations which if not lived up to would mean that he would be treated poorly. Even though I criticize the boring ‘I will beat you, no you won’t’ dialogue, there was an incredibly important line within that conversation. Katakuri himself thinks falling on your back is shameful and, while there's the incredibly pretentious inclination to respond back with ‘actually what’s shameful is to not get back up’, it goes to show that these expectations are built into him, beliefs he has ingrained. Ingrained so far that he needs to hide himself away when he eats and relaxes under the pretense of a shrine. The fact that he broke down upon being seen like that shows how this man is walking on a thin line and barely holding it together if you ask me.

Lastly, as many people predicted, it seems that Zeus has been taken as a potentially permanent upgrade to Nami! If so, our queen has taken part of an emperor's soul as her own weapon and that’s wild... I do have to question how long it will last however because I can imagine Big Mom could easily take Zeus back if she wanted to turn it back into life force.
Aug 14, 2021 9:47 PM

Sep 2015
Unstopable Mochi blade bullets is one of the coolest move set from Katakuri, I didn't expect Jimbei being able to kick Big Mom out of the ship nor possess that much power and strength. Who knew Brook usual dialogue about panties could come in handy to aggrevate Big Mom to lure her in so he could focus on Zeus! As expected from Brooks performance lately.

But the animations were stunning this epiosde !

Someone as cool as Katakuri would obviously get a lot of admirers
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 25, 2021 4:34 AM

Jun 2019
Luffy's evolving in front of Katakuri. Nami can be pretty scary. LOL
Sep 6, 2021 1:24 AM

Aug 2021
Zeus is done for now
Oh man the Food scene with Rayleigh XD
Dec 28, 2021 10:28 AM

May 2016
I liked seeing more of Luffy's training with Rayleigh. It definitely made me want to see more of the other Straw Hat Crew's pre-timeskip experiences.

Flampe looks pretty cute but you can tell that she's a brat that's a complete pain in the ass to deal with.

Is the time where Luffy gaining Future Sight nearing?

Jun 5, 2022 5:46 AM
Jul 2018
great episode luffy is slowly getting closer to Katakuri's haki and this is definitely one of luffy's toughest battle yet

in the eyes of Katakuri's siblings he's perfect that's why he doesn't show his true self to anyone he doesn't want to disappoint them but I think he's a great brother
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:20 AM
May 9, 2023 5:10 PM
Nov 2007
This fight is done terribly. I wonder how it was shown in the manga. I had high hopes but it's the same nonsense as the Doflamingo fight, except that Luffy is getting pummeled even harder here and should've died ten times already. Katakuri is supposed to be so strong. If he can use haki and if he can punch harder than Luffy (his punch "wins" when they hit each others' fists) then Luffy should be taking a lot more damage. Besides, I don't get how Luffy was starting to be able to use Color of observation and was dodging his punches a few episodes ago, but that totally went away. Katakuri explained how Luffy was able to hit him because Katakuri lost focus, but that doesn't explain how Luffy was able to dodge Katakuri's punches earlier and now has to relearn that ability from point zero for some reason. Honestly, this fight has been a huge letdown until now. 
Mar 7, 11:05 PM
Oct 2019
Unnecessary introduction to that little imouto shit lol

Nami is scary scary, Zeus LMAO

Let's go Luffy, you can do it!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 348 Discussion ( 1 2 )

VK11 - Mar 24, 2008

56 by gannoncannon55 »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 380 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

VK11 - Dec 7, 2008

109 by KoniginElle »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 347 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pokedude97 - Mar 18, 2008

54 by gannoncannon55 »»
1 hour ago

» The problem is

egosumjohn - Apr 10

43 by Freeman235 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 346 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Mar 10, 2008

45 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.