Forum Settings
Forums

would you call yourself a weeaboo or a otaku

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 16, 2018 3:41 AM
Oct 2018
If a (non-Japanese) person thinks they're "an otaku", that's an absolute, bullet-proof, 100% guarantee they're a huge weeaboo. (And even more so if they deny it/protest.)
Dec 16, 2018 3:54 AM

May 2014
None of them really. I guess Otaku is the closest fit, but my hobby doesn't have a negative impact on my social life, so i don't know. I just say i'm an anime fan, which is the american definition of Otaku.
Dec 16, 2018 4:03 AM

Sep 2018
Neither, but I guess Otaku would be more fitting for me. I like watching anime as a hobby but I don't let it impact my schooling or social life. It's just another part of who I am.

Dec 16, 2018 4:07 AM

May 2017
ofcourse otaku,i dont like weeaboo because my friends always bullying me with call me weeaboo :(
Dec 16, 2018 4:29 AM

Apr 2017
I wouldn't call myself a weeb. I don't think I fit its definition, even if some people like to use it rather widely for anyone that does more than just casually watches anime. But I think we should keep words in their proper definitions, otherwise they are meaningless. I may or may not be an otaku. I would call myself otaku if we consider it to be word to describe someone that cares a lot about anime, and it does play major role among their hobbies, but keeps it in reasonable borders and does not go the lengths of weeabooism. Which is western definition of the word, imo. Otherwise I'm just a regular person with anime as my main hobby. In the end I don't particularly identify with any of the 2 words though. But I'm not opposed to either if I meet the definition of them, that's what terms are there for. To more easily communicate things without needing long explanations. All things considered, I think I can call myself otaku by it's western definition.
MrZawaDec 16, 2018 4:33 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Dec 16, 2018 4:39 AM

Feb 2016
Neither of this. I Consider myself as a normal person who enjoy watching anime as an entertainment

Dec 16, 2018 4:39 AM

Feb 2018
i don't really care, I call myself an anime fan instead.

Dec 16, 2018 7:03 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Usually a weeb

I like underdogs and with otaku being seen as superior to weeaboo, I'd rather affiliate with the inferior. At least I can be myself that way.
Dec 16, 2018 7:49 AM

Apr 2018
I do not feel identified with the two terms. "Otaku" is a derogatory term in Japan, and "Weeb" is used in people who like to use popular expressions in their daily lives and label the rest of society as wrong (The latter is more or less what I understand).

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Dec 16, 2018 7:19 PM

Jun 2017
Malevolent-Fae said:
If you willingly call yourself a weeaboo, that is pretty much the equivelant of being fine called the N - word. The word is meant to be degrading, you weebs. No one likes a weeb. They pretty much are the embodiment of what a worthless loser anime fan is. Hates everything western - 2D > 3D - waifu culture, ecchi series, uses Japanese words like kawaii or sugoi in their sentences to appear witty or funny. Don't be a weeb.

If you willingly call yourself an otaku, you are a normal person who wants to express their liking to anime through a calling. Tho, in Japanese, it means pretty much anyone who is obsessed with one hobby.

I don't call myself any of these, since I'm not obsessed. Anime is just my favorite hobby and it's easy to find mature and well animated series from anime media. Animation is beautiful and I love deep stories. Call me an anime fan.

you put it in a great way many thank my weeaboo
Dec 16, 2018 7:20 PM

Jun 2017
rsc-pl said:
Remember 1 thing. You can't be passionate about your hobby, you can enjoy things only ironically. At least this is what other insecure, close minded and immature people thinks.

Generally the only worse thing than using idiotic meme buzzwords to call other people because of their hobbies are people who calls themselves a trash. This is beyond my understanding and simply pathetic.

Im not saying you cant be passionate about anything im just saying that i dont think you should take it to seriously and let everyone know hey guys look im a otaku when nobody asked but i kind of understand what your trying to say
Dec 16, 2018 7:21 PM

Jun 2017
um
BRAINDEADPARTY said:
Neither I think the right word to describe me is trash

It really do be like that somtimes though
Dec 16, 2018 7:23 PM

Jun 2017
Anime4Normies said:
If a (non-Japanese) person thinks they're "an otaku", that's an absolute, bullet-proof, 100% guarantee they're a huge weeaboo. (And even more so if they deny it/protest.)

i kind of disagree with you just because your arent Japanese doesn't mean you can't enjoy anime and label your self a anime fan i think that someone is a weeaboo is when someone keeps trying to push in someones face that they are an anime fan and they are proud to be one like calm down we get you like Chinese cartoons
Dec 16, 2018 7:27 PM

Jun 2017
jal90 said:
Weeb is still derogatory.

Otaku was derogatory till the mid 00s or something, now it's fine.

I think the choice is clear.

someone on this forum made a good point that calling your self or someone else a weeaboo could be used like the n-word. the n-word is derogatory if used in the wrong context but if a black person says it to their black friend its just kind of a way of knowing that your close i think that calling yourself a weeaboo is kind of like that
Dec 17, 2018 12:34 AM

Nov 2018
fucking neither, i'm not a loser whose life revolves around anime. It's ok to just like anime
Dec 17, 2018 12:41 AM

Nov 2017
no

i cant call myself a weebs or an otaku... it just gross
Now Loading.....
Dec 17, 2018 12:54 AM

Nov 2018
I have nearly 60 days worth of watching animes and 170ish at that , so in terms of time what should I be called? Additionally I do buy anime figures and I watch, y'know, that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Dec 17, 2018 1:01 AM
Jan 2012
I wouldn't consider myself either of those, and I really don't care to be part of either culture.

There are shortcomings with these labels, and my only gripe is the insane amount of people that ignore them. Spending hundreds of dollars in figurines, or planning a trip to Japan? Sure, that's totally fine, but be more grounded in reality. Buying that many figurines is fine, but don't do it at the cost of more important things, like rent. Going to Japan sounds cool for those that haven't already been, but don't expect it to be some rosy, perfect country.

My biggest problem I guess is the people whose end goal is being an Otaku, or weeaboos that love Japan so much that they not only ignore the faults of the Japanese society, but also piss on their own culture due to not being as glorious as the "Glorious Nippon". Keep your hobbies as hobbies, not as obsessions
Dec 17, 2018 1:16 AM
Mar 2018
I call myself weeb trash constantly. I think there is a bit of an age gap involved in which one you prefer. When I first started watching anime Otaku was still an insult so the only people who would call themselves Otaku were the same kind of people who gave you second hand social anxiety and you would avoid as much as possible. In my friend circle weeb is like a term of endearment. Much like calling someone a nerd.
Dec 17, 2018 1:21 AM

Apr 2013
I don't like the word weeaboo, I don't even get what it means. I would call myself an otaku though, to me that's just in the same category as nerd.
Dec 17, 2018 1:23 AM

Jan 2013
I don't call myself either, but I don't mind people calling me "otaku" in certain contexts (when they clearly mean "anime fan" and don't make it sound offensive).
Dec 17, 2018 1:25 AM

Nov 2014
I never call myself any of those. I guess I could use 'weeb' if I wanted to make some ironic joke about myself.
I'd never use 'otaku' - I mostly see it used by people who think they know about more about anime than they actually do. Nerd or geek are good enough.
JustAnotherShiroDec 17, 2018 1:29 AM
Dec 17, 2018 1:29 AM

Jan 2018
Neither. I'm not hardcore enough to be an otaku but I'm not overdoing it enough to be called a weeb.

I'm an anime fan. Once I hit 50 hours I might evolve.
Dec 17, 2018 2:14 AM

Nov 2013
I don’t refer to myself as either of those, but I probably fall into the otaku category. I pretty much watch anime or play video games whenever I can. I honestly wish I could just live as a NEET, but sadly I have no choice but to work and pay bills..
Dec 17, 2018 3:23 AM

Nov 2013
no, i just say i like watching anime. but literally everyone else calls me a weeb anyway even though i am not.
Dec 17, 2018 3:30 AM

Sep 2018
I do not call myself either, but I do not mind being called either. You get used to it if you got a anime profile pic. I usually like weeaboo memes though.
Dec 17, 2018 4:03 AM

Aug 2011
I used to call myself those unironically when I just started since I didn't know any better but I didn't give a shit anymore as years go by. It's just a hobby anyway, I don't know why the need for the label
Dec 17, 2018 4:27 AM

Mar 2008
I don't call myself either. I don't feel I need to.
Dec 17, 2018 4:35 AM

Jun 2016
Lunilah said:
Only weeaboos can call each other weebs, that's our word, nobody else is allowed to use it. Sorry. /s
what? You make it sound like when someone's going to use the n word 😂
Dec 17, 2018 4:43 AM

Dec 2015
On the facebook communitys alot of ppl call themself otaku as a argument why they are retarded, it's a reason why they act as they do, why they have some wierd taste in some wierd shit.

Even if I got close to 1k manga volumes and a bit of figures I woud never call myself a Otaku or something like that. I think it's embarrassing, and why do you need to stop care about real life, just beacuse you got a hobby.

I think that's the worst thing, I have seen videos from NA animes communitys in school, it's laughable. Why you even do that to you're self.

Dec 17, 2018 4:45 AM

Oct 2014
Synon7m said:
Lunilah said:
Only weeaboos can call each other weebs, that's our word, nobody else is allowed to use it. Sorry. /s
what? You make it sound like when someone's going to use the n word 😂
Yeah, that's the joke i was making, haha. I put a "/s" in white text at the end. Glad someone caught the joke.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Dec 17, 2018 4:50 AM

Jun 2017
Neither. But there are some kids on the internet that feel proud by calling themselves otaku/weeb. Such pathetic creatures
Dec 17, 2018 4:59 AM

Nov 2017
None. They both seem negative to me.
ロード中です...

Dec 17, 2018 8:25 AM

Aug 2010
I can like anime and still be a normal person... mainly because my interests are varied and anime is only a part of it. Some people are 1 dimensional, so i guess they can carry on a moniker like otaku proudly since it is all that defines them
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Dec 17, 2018 8:42 AM

Jan 2014
neither, i am guulaash, THE GUULAASH
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Dec 17, 2018 8:46 AM

Feb 2018
Nah, is useless to put tags on people
Dec 17, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2010
Well, weeb has a completely different meaning which is about glorifying japan, not even necessarily related to anime so idk why anyone would call themselves that willingly. It's an insult for people who glorify Japan to such a degree that they became completely ignorant and prejudiced toward any other culture including their own. It's basically an irrational, unhealthy obsession with Japan.

People who call themselves or others weebs just for liking anime are pretty dumb/uninformed and also, in my opinion, a self-derogatory cancer to the community. I hate these people with a passion because they represent everything cringy about the anime fandom - uninformedness, ignorance, repetitive memes, looking down on anime and its fans despite being into it themselves, perpetuating and believing in all the negative stereotypes etc... And most importantly only liking anime 'ironically' because they are incapable of being serious about anything in their lifes because they think only if you constantly hide behind sarcasm can nobody make fun of them and their hobbies. So they do it themselves and think that's clever, but it's really just harmful to the overall anime fandom and themselves.

I'd even say I hate these people more than I hate actual weebs. The latter just have a weird preference and a healthy portion of ignorance towards the non-japanese cultures or media that they look down on, but those 'ironic' 'weebs' just have throughly disgusting personalities with their sarcasm culture and seeing being serious about anything as a weakness that deserves to be ridiculed.

As for Otaku, that's more of a descriptive term that I don't really see as a negative when people use it or are labeled with it but personally I never saw the use for it when I can just call myself a nerd or an anime fan and it basically means the same thing except not being a weeb about it (aka randomly using a japanese term when there are equivalent options in other languages). I'd say people who label themselves Otaku are more interested in identifying with the whole subculture which I just never really have been. I was always fine with just being an anime nerd or fan. What I care about is the medium of anime and not the whole subculture surrounding it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 17, 2018 8:54 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Anime fanatic? Is usually what I like to use for myself.

EDIT: but eh.. read manga now and then, play games, read doujinshi, watch H .... so dunno.

I just like Anime and it's subculture for the most part. Don' particularly call myself anything that much often.
DesolatePsycheJan 31, 2019 7:23 AM
Dec 17, 2018 9:01 AM
Nov 2015
None.
And I think that people who use the word otaku are weebs (unless they are talking in japanese in a context where talking in japanese is the most natural thing to do).
If you wanna call someone an anime nerd, call them an anime nerd, not otaku.
Dec 17, 2018 9:43 AM

Feb 2012
I don't really speak english, so most likely not. Generally I don't call myself anything. People are and always will be defined by others first and foremost, no matter what bullshit modern views and values might say. It's pointless to think about and will never end, so I just do whatever I please.
Dec 17, 2018 9:43 AM

Apr 2018
IDA535 said:
A lot of people call themselves otakus but whenever I hear someone call themselves that it just gives me flashbacks into where we all pretended to be anime characters and say shit like "your not a true anime fan if you don't _______". It also hurts me when someone says I'm a true otaku or I'm proud to be an otaku like ok we get it you watch anime. What do you guys think? Do you prefer to call yourself an otaku or a weeaboo and if you prefer one why?

Edit:I'm trying to reply to a lot of your responses but i might contradict my self in literally everything i say sorry
I am a secret anime fan.
Dec 17, 2018 10:26 AM

Oct 2009
Nahh. I ain't a sheep who follows the crowd. Also couldn't care less about society 👌
Dec 17, 2018 10:33 AM

Aug 2017
if you enjoy watching anime and reading manga, is it important what you're called?
Dec 17, 2018 10:47 AM

Oct 2018
Don't mind the otaku title. Some hating because we're cultured and educated.
L0LlDec 17, 2018 10:56 AM

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Dec 17, 2018 12:06 PM

Aug 2017
Im a weeb with other anime fans but all my friends hate anime so :(
Dec 17, 2018 12:11 PM

Apr 2018
Weeaboo WAS an insult 2 ppl who thought they were Japanese, even though they weren't, but the word has lost a lot of its original meaning, with ppl who just like anime calling themselves as such. IF we were using the word with its original meaning, then I don't think any1 here is a weeaboo. I don't think I'm Japanese, and I bet most ppl here don't either. Otaku means being "obsessed" or really in2 something, since we all rly liek anime here, I guess "anime otaku" would b the correct term.
Dec 17, 2018 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Probably on otaku.

I really love everything about Japan but never have I cosplayed as a Samurai and claimed that I can speak fluent Japanese.
Dec 17, 2018 12:27 PM

Nov 2013

Weeaboo before it was cool
Dec 17, 2018 12:28 PM
Aug 2017
I would rather call myself a weeaboo, it just sounds cooler
Dec 17, 2018 2:49 PM
Sep 2018
I don't think anyone un ironically calls themselves a weeb, I only ever call myself that in front of my friends as a joke and I know they do the same. And I think using the word 'Otaku' has just kinda died down in the past years, but still has a mild negative connotation to it. But if someone calls themselves an Otaku I don't see the big deal with it, like we all know what they mean. Someone who calls themselves an Otaku isn't better or worse then someone who doesn't.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

42 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

70 by PostMahouShoujo »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
11 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

17 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.