Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Post New Reply
Poll: Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly Episode 1 Discussion

Oct 15, 2019 8:37 PM

If it wasn't for Cheelai and Lemo's wish to the dragon, Gogeta would've annihilated Broly. Thanks to them, he was able to be transported back to his planet. I guess the girl loves him, I mean she even went as far as living with him on that planet (along with Lemo of course). I still cannot take away anything from Broly to that fight, damn is he strong! The guy was his first time turning into a super saiyan, but he was able to push Goku and Vegeta who've transcended from that power btw to their limits. The guy fought and was able to overpower them without even transforming, it just proves if he obtains the same powers he would be way way way stronger than any other being. I also enjoyed the beating of Freeza on his gold form, he deserved it after what he did to Broly's father. I hope they make a sequel, because I want another fight between them.

Overall this was great action packed stuff. The story was not that good though, but at least we got a backstory that explained how the saiyans and him started out. I liked how they showed us Frieza's tyranny over the saiyan planet and how Goku was shipped to earth. Broly's story was also interesting. The animation was super great, particularly the action scenes, because most parts of the movie were based on action scenes. This is my first entry of Dragonball, and I must say this is strange. It was also my first time watching in subs, I usually watched the English dubs way back. And I must say Dubs are better than subs on this franchise, vAs weren't fitting for the characters. Like why does Goku sounds like a granny and Vegeta sounds like a Japanese little boy bully:-D. shit!

8/10. for enjoyment.
¡Ay, caramba! --- Bart Simpson

Oct 17, 2019 7:09 AM

All i can say is that the movie would have been better off without the bad CGI.
Apart from that, liked the movie and the new characters.

Also classic animation style was good. Some of the mixed cgi was good. But the full on broly cgi fights were terrible.

Oct 24, 2019 8:50 AM

Not bad, it's interesting they took another spin on broly to be honest, but with the amount of cgi I was a bit pulled back with that it pretty much looked like on of their video games.

Besides that story was it was not bad and yea lots of opening for anything like a sequel or other movies like they did with the dbz movies.

All in all a good watch.

Nov 23, 2019 3:35 AM

Definitely one of the best if not the best DBZ movie in the franchise.

The story, animation, art, music were all top-notch I could not ask for anything besides maybe aking the movie full 2 hours cuz some parts felt rushed due to time limit

Solid 9/10

Nov 24, 2019 3:13 PM

I didn’t like Dragon Ball Super that much, so I wasn’t expecting too much from this. And well, I think the movie just was made to take advantage of the hipe created by the anime, in essence, the only valuable thing was the animation aspect, and differently from the anime, the movie genuinely had great animation, excellent sometimes, combing CGI with 2D in some backgrounds and fast scenes, the fast movements and details about the punches, kicks, choreography, jumps, flights; well, Toei Animation did a great job. Despite that, Broly was presented as a character that, with no background can be developed in power to fight with the god modes that manage Goku, Vegeta and even Frieza, power scales are all over the place, as always. The movie is not relevant for me, or for my experience with Dragon Ball Super. Cheelai was sexualized as fuck, but the movie was very entertaining, the memorable characters, confrontations and fights were good.

Dec 22, 2019 8:37 PM
The visuals were so nice until it started looking like a PS3 game, then it recovered. Why do they do this? That just had to get too crazy with the visuals.

Goku and co are being seriously irresponsible letting Frieza rampage around the universe while they just chill on earth. That is very bad. C'mon, Goku, didn't you say you would put an end to Frieza's reign of terror all those years ago on planet Namek. This is a serious moral failing and dereliction of purpose here.

Dec 29, 2019 6:10 AM
Okay this movie was very good..
i like the grapich and the action look.
i hope the tv series just like this

Jan 16, 2020 4:18 PM

Makes no sense, everything friggin retconned in this day and age. Nothing is sacred. THE HELL HAPPENED?! TOo much CGI, bad animation, and retconning of the series all over and then by making Broly too goody two shoes. NIce fights, pretty lights, but wtf with that wasted final wish? WHy not make Broly in control of himself and his abilities?! FFs... NExt film better be About Cooler and Better than this was. No more than 6/10 for this. Still good, but fell so short of greatness.

Mar 4, 2020 4:32 PM

FMmatron said:
Easily the best Dragon Ball movie in terms of action. 7/10
They build Broly for future arcs I hope that would be the best thing ever. 8/10

Jun 22, 2020 6:38 PM

Planet Vegeta?
41 years ago.
The Ginyu Force.
Zarbon.
Saiyans.
A woman comes out.
King Cold.
Freeza?
King Vegeta.
Cold is retiring? Freeza will take over?
Scouters.
Finger beam!
A baby in the tube.
His son. King of the universe?
Broly. Roll credits.

What a fucking wild movie. With that said... truly disgraceful that they had to go into SSG and SSGSS against Broly, who is pretty much a novice compared to them. Not only that, but they had to fuse as well. That's sad. What is the point of these forms then? When Broly slammed Goku to the ground knocking him out, that was a chance to go into Migatte no Gokui... but you know... gotta let them fuse.

Original watch date: 4/18/20
Modified by Rob, Jun 26, 2020 5:31 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).

Aug 2, 2020 10:01 AM
I liked the whole origin story part a lot. Once it got to the action though we get a completely ridiculous soundtrack ("SAIYAN POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER" etc) and cell shaded computer graphics that just pull me right out of it.
The fight was just a wild mess really without much of a choreography. People need more and more violent stimulus or else they can't enjoy it I guess. There was also not a single bit of battle damage, not even a scratch after taking multiple probably multi-universe shattering blows, so there's no weight to anything.
Modified by StardustReverie, Aug 2, 2020 10:17 AM

Aug 22, 2020 4:57 PM
the good:The final fight animation and Gogeta shows up.

the bad: everything else. I mean my god was this awful. Good job on making goku look like more of a monster for not giving a shit about the whole frieza still around killing and enslaving. Also making broly a good guy was so freaking dull and was only done so they can bring him back if they want to. Also frieza wishing to be tall.......wtf is this crap.

I cant believe anyone with a straight face can call this the best DB related movie. Maybe in visuals but not much else. Iv enjoyed some of the other movies way more.
Modified by souledge94, Aug 22, 2020 5:01 PM

Mar 25, 12:04 PM

While the "story" (or rather the titular reengineered character) was a refreshing difference compared to the second late Z film, Dragon Ball Super ~ Broly has difficulties to go from the needed background prologue to the meat of the movie thanks to being too preoccupied with providings bites to dedicated fanatics (famous scenes/facts reenactements, reworking of vague background informations, hello Jor-El). So, the structure comes down to a quite long prologue followed by a quite short conflict establishement (with some poor nostalgia recycling as Frieza's motivation) resulting in a very long brawl (chain) devoid of any actual threat for a long time. More opportune visual hommages / winks (essentially to the Broly films) can be seen peppered through the whole fights.
Nothing more to tell about the scenario since this is obviously not something that is particularly worked in this kind of movies.

Same qualities as the other modern DB films: a mix of light humour, colourful characters and indecent all-out physical and superpower action, with some "Toriyama-esque" designs here and there.
Same problem as before: when the CGI puppets become prevalent (let's say the last third of the action segment), it looks pretty ugly. The switch back and forth between drawings and those skeletons comes to be annoying. The 3D camera might be a bit too much exploited but succeeds in giving out some impactful blows.The fights seem less choreographed than before, but that way the new "trilogy" represents the whole descent of DB's action well (just like the shouting contest it devolved into).

I personally disliked the whole playing around intense colours and strong lights but it certainly adds something to the presentation, contrast being monocoloured landscapes characters and flashes of light. Aside from that, the drawings seem a bit less flat than usual for computer-assisted animation and you get the modern DB colouring chart (that I despise, but hey, digital paint is the present). You'll notice a few instances of bad looking mid-distance (and sometimes close-up) faces, something that should not be so visible in such a large production.
Something that doesn't add anything of value to the overall presentation though is the terrible "songs" (dubstep, someone said) that shout out characters and powers names in the middle of big fighting scenes while the characters are busy yelling at each other. This may be the evolution of the previously heard Frieza song but the "metal" song actually emphasized its scene (sure, it could make you laugh but it felt in line with the character and moment) whereas this one appears as background noise. The rest of the music score is rather poor.

Score: 7,5/10
Enjoyment: 3/5

Second pure fan-service film after Fukkatsu no F, but slightly better made.

(Not sure how/why Bejita is supposed to have reverted to a cold killer, by the way.)

PS: if Frieza would tuck his tail, getting his few centimeters would not be source of conflict at all.

PPS: missing Hiromi Tsuru...

@Souledge94 This one is easy: it's General Red's crap !
Modified by Rei_III, Mar 25, 12:20 PM

Apr 28, 8:22 AM

Watched it again after just finishing Dragon Ball Super and it's still as good as I remember ^^
I came to appreciate this movie's art / animation even more now after finishing Super, it's a lot more in tune with Dragon Ball Z's art.

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]