Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly Episode 1 Discussion

Feb 16, 3:18 PM

I really don't know how to feel about this movie. It finally feels like Dragon Ball again (kind of) and it ain't bad. That I know. But it also feels short, very short. I heard that Toriyama's original script was around 3 hours longs. That's crazy. A lot was cutted out.
The animation was great (I love you Shida), the music was divisive. The main theme was pretty damm good but those ''Broly'' and ''Kakarotto'' were very weird and the characters were nice. The new additions were pretty cool. It was a shame that Broly's characterization felt incomplete and that the final battle was pretty one sided. Also, Broly > Beerus? Now you're pushing it.
I'm gonna need to rewatch the movie to give it a final score. And I definitely want this to be adapted to the new season of Super. Please don't skip it. It should be much better.

After rewatch:
Yap. Incomplete movie. I'm really pushing for a retelling of this in the new season of Super. It would be a much more strong entry than a straight up sequel. The 2 new characters were a good addition and it was great to see Goku finally using his brain and techniques against an opponent. Don't loose that touch Super's sequel. Also, kind of weird that Vegeta didn't scream at Goku for stopping is fight so he could fight in his place (which was the best sequence of the whole movie).

6/10.

Feb 16, 5:45 PM

finally catched dbs:b really entertaining, fun watching in movie theater.

Feb 17, 12:13 AM

The fights were cool and all.
But to be honest, i think i seen enough of Broly by the 4th movie.

Feb 17, 12:54 PM
Can someone watch this with minimal DBS knowledge? I want to show this to a friend that hates DBZ (but has never seen it)

Feb 18, 4:50 AM

This movie really feels like a compilation of a bunch of shit that's already been done before, fanservice to the max, very pretty fanservice, but fanservice nonetheless, a ton of which I really can't get behind.

Feb 18, 11:13 AM

I went in expecting nothing but hory shiet, this was amazing! I really like what they went with here, like Broly literally drinking the blood of his enemies lmao, while being kind at heart (and not the mimimi kakarot cried as a child thing)

my biggest complain would probably be inherent with Supers characterization of Goku though, like did they confuse him wth the Abridged version? And some changes to the saiyan backstory were unnecessary.

Animation Quality: 10/10 Hory Shiieeet. This is how a modern version of Dragonball should look like. The CGI parts in the second half were bad compared to the stunning drawn part though. The most visually stunning action movie I saw since Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky. I will definitely buy the BD when it comes out. The second half had me glued to the screen like no movie ever did since Madoka Rebellion.

Sound: 8/10, even though they overdid it a bit with the game like name announcing. And no KAAAAAAAKAAAAROOOOOOOOT. Well, whatever- that movie sucked compared to this gem.

Frieza getting his ass kicked for over an hour: beyond scale

Cheelai was a nice addition as well and I never expected to see the fusion reborn! Thinking back, some changes really seem unnecessary, I get they had to make him stronger than SSB, but the "legendary Saiyan" backstory was so fitting for him! Atlest the ending pretty much confirmed further movies and as long as they are like this one and less like the Super series, Im absolutely happy to throw more money at them. This was really the best DB movie ever.

Was it fanservice? Absolutely! But boy do I like this kind of fanservice.

Vegeta holding Bulma when she was about to fall from the ice breaking was also a 10/10 moment

Im uncertain for the score, Im probably going with an 8, even though the production quality would justify a 9
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Feb 19, 7:12 PM

what about Broly's father? hehe

And did I see it correctly? Fanservice in DBZ? xD

Feb 20, 5:25 AM

Vi- said:

Didn't Paragus already killed by Frieza during the later half of the movie?

Vi- said:

I didn't see any fan-service in this movie. Even if it did it shouldn't even a surprise as this is not the first time a fan-service scenes shows up in DB lol (Bulma shows her panties to Kid Goku, Goku dropped Bulma's panties, Bluma shows her "place" to Roshi and Urigami, Yamcha seeing Bulma bathing and more).

Feb 20, 6:56 AM

MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Vi- said:

Didn't Paragus already killed by Frieza during the later half of the movie?

Yep! I was just thinking that they didn't mention him anymore after that xD Not even, Broly.

MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Vi- said:

I didn't see any fan-service in this movie. Even if it did it shouldn't even a surprise as this is not the first time a fan-service scenes shows up in DB lol (Bulma shows her panties to Kid Goku, Goku dropped Bulma's panties, Bluma shows her "place" to Roshi and Urigami, Yamcha seeing Bulma bathing and more).

Hm, those had comedy in it, in the movie it hadn't any of that, just some camera angles to get a nice view of Cheelai breasts and body. Both are indeed fanservice, I just wanted to mean that in the movie had more "malice" in it. Didn't bother me, I was just somewhat surprised by it ^^
Modified by Vi-, Feb 20, 7:15 AM

Feb 20, 7:28 AM

Vi- said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

Hm, those had comedy in it, in the movie it hadn't any of that, just some camera angles to get a nice view of Cheelai breasts and body. Both are indeed fanservice, I just wanted to mean that in the movie there was more "malice" in it. Didn't bother me, I was just somewhat surprised by it ^^

But it's still counts as fan-service even if it's meant to be comedy lol.

Personally, aside of one scene where Cheelai pulling her armor, I really didn't find anything about those scenes that you referring to be fan-service. Maybe it's just me for not paid attention on those scenes enough, as I found the fight scenes more entertaining than fan-service does in this movie lol.

Feb 23, 5:49 PM

Holy shit, that was amazing. New favorite character in the DB Universe FOR SURE!

Feb 24, 2:00 PM

Damn, I missed Dragon Ball so much.
The fight against Broly was so op. The visuals too.
I hope a new season is going to be announced soon. :(

Feb 26, 2:47 PM
Holy shit, not really a fan of redoing the whole Broly thing nor the stupid wish of Frieza that doesn't justify the plot but holy shit.

The animation is TOP (but colors are a bit ... strange ? Lots of green appearing out of nowhere in transformations)

Feb 26, 7:05 PM
This movie was decent, it had its goods and its bads. One of the bads in my opinion was the cringy soundtrack with the commentator saying their names in the fights, that wasn't really necessary but whatever. Another bad thing was the use of CGI in some parts which was also cringy here, there are good CGIs out there and there's bad CGIs as well, I consider this one to be the latter.

The goods, the characters were likable specially that green girl, Broly had more personality here than the old Broly from the previous movies and goddamn, was this Broly OP as fuck!, hell... this guy is seriously broken. He wasn't even a super saiyan lv 1 in the beginning and he was growing through the fight and got to the point were he was at equal standing with Gogeta Blue... this is some serious overpowered bullshit right here, not that I'm complaining though, I always liked this Broly character and hopefully we can see more of him in the future.

One of the things I found weird is:

1) How did Broly's father get the necklace device to control Broly? was that in their spaceship? if that's the case then they never hinted it so I consider that to be some lazy story writing.

2) Frieza's wish to be a bit taller was comedy but it's kinda weird to see Frieza as a comedy type of character, I'm not complaining on this one though.

3) When Broly was fighting Vegeta he got to the point where he was stronger than Vegeta blue and then suddenly Goku jumps in to fight Broly in his base form and holds his own against Broly for a bit, again, this is some inconsistent power level bullshit going on around here, there's no way in hell that Goku in his base form would be stronger than Vegeta blue so I'm calling this bullshit as well and yes, I am complaining on this one.

4) Goku and Vegeta failed twice with Gogeta's transformation, that means they had to wait 30 minutes in each try, this means the complete Gogeta transformation appeared 1 hour later and are you going to tell me that Frieza fought Broly for 1 hour? there's no fucking way in hell he would have lasted that long there with Broly at that stage, he was practically at Gogeta's level by then so he should have killed Frieza in 1 minute or less but 1 hour later Frieza is still alive in one piece? fuck that, that's not consistent at all with the power levels.

5) And lastly, those energy attacks that they are firing right and left through the whole fight that hits the ground should be able to destroy the fucking planet but those attacks are only doing minimal damage and this is pretty fucking weird, not consistent with the power level bullshit at all.
Modified by xZabuzax, Feb 26, 7:52 PM

Feb 27, 3:26 AM

xZabuzax said:
One of the bads in my opinion was the cringy soundtrack with the commentator saying their names in the fights, that wasn't really necessary but whatever.

From what I heard, those awful soundtracks with announcer's voices was made to appeal the western fans (Especially Mexico fans which requested Toei to do so in the first place), so it can make us feel like we are watching wrestling shows like WWE while watching the movie.

xZabuzax said:
he was growing through the fight and got to the point were he was at equal standing with Gogeta Blue...

Not really as SSJ Full Power Broly was started getting weaken by the time he fought Gogeta Blue, his power keep getting weaker so much that he reverted back to original SSJ form by the time Gogeta casts Kamehameha. You can see Broly looked so scared when the Kamehameha blast almost hit him before he teleport back to Planet Vampa by Cheelai.

The way the fight shows up does mislead people for thought that Broly was on par with Gogeta.

xZabuzax said:
5) And lastly, those energy attacks that they are firing right and left through the whole fight that hits the ground should be able to destroy the fucking planet but those attacks are only doing minimal damage and this is pretty fucking weird, not consistent with the power level bullshit at all.

I don't remember this has ever once happened in this series before aside of maybe in the video games. Unless if you refers Frieza blows Earth but that's more on damaging the core than blasting on the ground.
Modified by MahiaErebeaNegi, Feb 27, 3:33 AM

Mar 3, 7:13 AM

Okay, this movie was amazing, way better than I expected. The visuals were gorgeous, and the fights were really well made. Broly is good addition to the series, I hope to see more of him in the future. Gogeta becoming canon was also nice.

Also, the first 30 minutes of the movie, about the Planet Vegeta, was amazing, one of the best DB-related thing that I have watched. I really want to see more of Bardock, a great character.

Mar 3, 2:01 PM

Loved seeing some backstories to the characters! It was a little weird they ignored the first 3 broly movies ever existed, but i found this movie to be better than those so im happy with it.

Mar 4, 2:11 PM

Would've been better if longer. Movie felt cut up and a mess. Broly's first transformation scene had no build-up, emotion or impact. Scene was like:
>Broly losing
>Frieza remembers emotions trigger transformations
>Kills Paragus and blames Goku
>Broly see, Broly mad, Broly scream, Broly transform
I wish this was a dumbed down explanation but it goes exactly like this. The first movie handled it better. Animation was crisp but vomit inducing with the tumbling and strobe lights. Also the soundtrack sucked ass

6/10 movie at best

Mar 7, 6:54 AM
Holy Macaroni I think I've just had an eyegasm watching this movie. The animation is so damn amazing and the whole story/character building is pretty amazing. I also was afraid that the change of gokus backstory would somewhat ruin the original dragonball, but no, it was pretty fitting and I can't wait to see what's up next with the franchise. I think I'd really love to see more short styled anime seasons like Attack on Titan after this movie. It really showed how Dragonball should look, sound and feel today!

Mar 14, 8:20 AM

Wow, this is the best Broly movie for me, I wasn't expecting it!
But lool, I can understand Bulma's wish but wtf was wrong with Frieza, haha, that wish killed me!
And the fights were super!

Mar 23, 10:36 AM
This is everything i wanted out of the dragon ball franchise and then some. Highly entertaining.

Mar 27, 9:03 PM

I finally had the time to watch it and damn that was by far the best DB movie I've watched. Not in the slightest can the animation be compared with DB Super. There was such gigantic difference that I almost couldn't believe what I saw. You know the animation is perfect if you're just smiling especially during the fights.

I'm sure that's what a lot of DB fans waited for. The story was nice, to see 41 years back what exactly happened and also some familiar characters like Bardok, King Vegeta and King Cold got their screen time.
It also showed how Paragus and Broly survived on an empty planet over all these years. Brolys character for me was also better handled. Someone who doesn't know anything about the world and only got used for the purposes of his father.

I really laughed about the reasons why Bulma and Freezer wanted the Dragonballs. That was the typical Dragonball humor I love :D

And seeing Gogeta after such a long ass time again in action oh baby. No early fusion breakup because he used to much energy and the time was over, no, just pure action where he showed how strong he as a character really is.

With this I hope Dragonball Super comes back. Thanks Toei for this wonderful movie. I enjoyed it so much. :)

10/10

Mar 29, 7:54 AM
A simple plot with lots of holes, but man the animation was over the top. And love what they did with Broly.

Apr 6, 7:07 PM

positive opinion on this onefor the most part, i was enjoying the planet Vegeta an Broly backstory for the most part but didnt like that Bardock movie is officialy not canon anymore (thats my 2nd fav DB movie)... the comedy was hit or miss, not as good as previous DB movies imo an the action while spectacular was waaay to long an the power levels are really inconsistent in this one (i know this is usual for DBZ Super but this issue still bothers me)

7/10

Apr 10, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry can someone help me out? I'm so confused about Broly's timeline.
So in the other movies he fights Goku and dies, but in this one he's never met Goku?
What?

Apr 11, 1:38 AM

KakarotSSJ said:
I'm sorry can someone help me out? I'm so confused about Broly's timeline.
So in the other movies he fights Goku and dies, but in this one he's never met Goku?
What?

The first three Broly movies = Non canon and has nothing to do with Toriyama
This movie = Canon and it's written by Toriyama

silversaint said:
but didnt like that Bardock movie is officialy not canon anymore (thats my 2nd fav DB movie)...

The Bardock special was never be part of canon aside of maybe Bardock faces Frieza, not to mention the fact that special isn't even written by Toriyama is just proven more that it's not canon.
Modified by MahiaErebeaNegi, Apr 11, 1:43 AM

Apr 15, 12:32 PM

Good movie i must say. The fights and transformations were really impressive all along. I prefer this Broly since he had a beginning of development and isn't just a fighting machine.

Gogeta steals the show as usual. Would have loved to see a Final Kamehameha at the end.

Freeza really should do his own business on the over side of the universe now and let alone Goku, Vegeta and the Earth but he probably will search for a partner in crime now.

Apr 16, 10:19 AM

Just letting everyone know: The movie came out in Blu-ray, so now everyone can enjoy it in full HD and with good sound-quality. If anyone watched it in worse quality, I think it's worth watching it in blu-ray.

I watched it in hd-ish quality, but with bad sounds a few months ago. The Blu-ray version is soo much better! The animation still seems a bit fast, but in higher quality it's so much better. Probably has better framerate, or something.
Finally I can appreciate the soundtrack. It has a very bizarre soundtrack, for sure.
"Ooo-leeee-oo", and name-shouting..? Weird, but it's good.

Apr 18, 2:14 PM

Went to watch OP characters inventing the most stupid reasons to fight against each other and got that.... But so much more. [Blu-Ray looks amazing]

When people criticize Dragon Ball for being too much of the same, I praise it for the very same reason. I lost count on how many histories out there tries to change so much it becomes unrecognizable, but Dragon Ball is just Dragon Ball and for its merits, the movie is really really good.

Animations were top, and I lol'd at the narrator screaming like we were watching a MMA fight.

As a person who watched DBZ in its time - with a lot of stills and tons of repeated keyframes - to see these characters fight in such a style is quite awesome. Dragon Ball will always be my guilty pleasure, and it's ok.

Apr 19, 3:25 PM

Really only came for the visuals and I was definitely satisfied
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy

Apr 21, 9:13 AM

I rarely rate anything 9/10 but this one well deserved it. Easily the best movie in the franchise. And it really felt like a movie to be honest, unlike Battle of Gods or Resurrection of F which felt like filler lmao.

Apr 27, 4:35 PM
Over 9000/10. That was the greatest dragon ball movie straight up holy shit I just can't fucking wait for the series to continue.

Apr 28, 7:59 PM

Well, it was a pretty decent movie I would say. It had quite a few plot-holes, but oh well whatever. The animation was mostly great, but some parts seemed as if it's made like in those "dragon ball universe" games, basically didn't seem like it was "animation" in general. Well, overall the movie was rather entertaining honestly.

May 12, 7:55 AM

makes me happy to see Goku coming to terms with his real name lol

May 19, 5:44 AM

Wow, some of you ppl here are critical af
This is a DB movie, after all...

And it is, undoubtedly, the best DB movie we have - and the best thing to come of of the franchise since Majin Vegeta blew himself up 25 years ago.
This was really good... especially when you consider it's coming off a show like Super
8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 20, 9:38 PM
(Gamer)

The movie was great. I noticed Broly is the same age as Vegeta in this movie. It was Goku who was the same age in the other movies. Broly got lucky at the end though. He might've died if he took that last Gogeta's attack.

May 26, 9:20 PM

Broly adapts quickly huh? Who needs character development anyway, let's put it all on CGI effects! Guaranteed to print money
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU

May 31, 7:23 PM
The battle scene is very epic. makes me amazed and goosebumps. and the emotional scene when gokus mother and his father when goku leave the planet vegeta touched me so well so emotional. still the best action anime in shonen world imo even better than my hero academia movie.

Conclusion to me
The story: 8/10
Audio, Sound effect, music : 10/10 so emotional and epic
Animation art, and style : 10/10
Enjoyment : 10/10

simpel story

not bored being watched repeatedly. overall defnitely 10/10

for those who don't understand. Broly's story is like a reboot. so we have to understand why the Akira forget so much, especially he is old guy so dont expect much.

Honestly in terms of audio, sound, music TOEI is very great at it.

Jun 1, 8:18 PM

The animation was over the top - can't complain

So much fanservice, with the fusion, the same attack used vs Janemba, etc.

The story developed much more about the sayans lifestyle, which was great

The development of Broly was however way to fast. From someone who only trained versus beasts and his father to someone who could overpower two seasoned veterans who battled the most powerful beings in the universes.

The power levels were a total mess. Why having so many transformations if they do not mean much? And secondly, why did not Vegeta use ultra blue and Goku ultra instinct?

Jun 6, 9:25 PM

quite good remke remake making broly a good guy and what not

Jun 17, 1:05 AM

The initial fight between Broly and Vegeta were definitely my favorite. It had some good fighting and martial arts instead of the usual punch barrages. Good movie.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]