Forum Settings
Forums

Why do a lot of anime fans trash on western media?

New
Dec 11, 2018 5:34 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I’m not into western tv shows, movies, and western cartoons (these days I hardly watch western animation), but I don’t understand why many anime fans dismiss them as garbage. They don’t like it when people generalize anime, so why do they generalize western media?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 11, 2018 5:40 PM

Apr 2016
They're insecure about liking cartoons
Dec 11, 2018 5:59 PM

May 2009
DepravedMagi said:
I’m not into western tv shows, movies, and western cartoons (these days I hardly watch western animation), but I don’t understand why many anime fans dismiss them as garbage. They don’t like it when people generalize anime, so why do they generalize western media?
Because it's a lot easier to see the speck in their brother's eye than the beam in their own eye.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 11, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2017
Cuz they are Naruto/Dragon Ball fans.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Dec 11, 2018 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
I actually haven't noticed this problem occurring all that much in recent years! The anime fandom seems pretty civil. And as of late there has been a lot of anime series that look quite similar to western cartoons/media and vice-versa.

Most people I know like western media just as much as anime, but everyone's different. It's probably just all due to personal tastes.
Veynn04Dec 11, 2018 6:25 PM
Dec 11, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2010
Being insecure must be the main reason, since this is just an immature overreaction, a desperate need to seek validation by saying that anime is much better than whatever more popular target.

I wouldn't really mind. You usually outgrow that phase. And you leave a trace of cringey weaboo memes you can always get back to.
Dec 11, 2018 6:32 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno, most people who are into anime and greatly hated western media that I've ran into mostly criticized it for not being mature enough, the same sort of "it's for kids" thing. Y'know, that one stigma against animation as a whole that a lot of people seem to forget exists, maybe because people into fandom stuff enough probably don't take this as a value, but I'd bet my life that it's the most common type of stigma outside of internet discussion boards and the like. The most common response I've been around has been applying that stigma and then selectively excluding anime from it.

They were also all invariably teenagers when that sort of thing was their reasoning. Make of that what you will.

-----

I don't put much stock into it and just let them do their thing, I guess. Probably because my investment in most forms western media is pretty low, and rushing to defend it would be something I wouldn't want to waste time doing. I've mostly only got apathetic or negative views towards modern western animation and comics (with a few exceptions), and that really saps my desire to discuss or argue over it. I'll still very happily eat up a lot of those old Belgian-Franco comics and their animated counterparts, and I absolutely adore some of the old Disney TV cartoons like DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, so on and so forth. DuckTales comics are still probably my favorite out there when it comes to stuff like that.

I like to envision myself as being that stereotype of an old-school anime elitist, just with western comics and animation :P That amuses me for some reason. But yeah, no, at the very least my issue isn't a locational one, it's just disinterest in a lot of newer stuff being put out. I don't think my position would be a common one, though xP Certainly wouldn't ever say I hate western stuff, either, just would much rather consume anime and manga at this point in my life.
ManabanDec 11, 2018 7:00 PM

Dec 11, 2018 6:35 PM

Oct 2017
Because they're obviously retarded.
Dec 11, 2018 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
I couldn't say. Some of my favorite shows are western cartoons. I've seen some good live action, but I guess I'm just naturally more drawn to animation. My only guess is that they're insecure about liking cartoons.
Dec 11, 2018 6:56 PM

Mar 2017
I like the diversity of anime and manga more, so that's why I pay more attention to it than western media. Maybe its criticized because it's all the same? All that said, modern westerns > historical anime
Dec 11, 2018 7:22 PM
Jul 2018
Apart from a very few PC games, I never cared for any kind of Western media, but to be honest Japanese haven't really produced anything extraordinary in the recent years either, a one mediocre Anime(Slime2018), a couple decent Light Novels here and there, but that's about it.
Dec 11, 2018 7:27 PM

Jun 2008
Unironic weeaboos.

Like, the type that will look you straight in the face and say anime is the best thing ever and every other medium is trash.

I’ve always taken the global approach to my likes.

>I like American Movies and live TV shows

>I like European football (ugh, feels weird saying the F-word)

>I like Asian Girls (it’s the eyes that win me over)

>I like Food from everywhere...well maybe not Indian, sorry.

Dec 11, 2018 8:15 PM

Nov 2011
Eh. I don’t see it all that often unless it’s a live action adaptation, and those get dumped on for other reasons.

To be honest, I think the majority of Western anime fans would prefer Western live action to Eastern live action in the same way that they prefer Eastern animation to Western animation.

Personally, I’m not into Western live action TV series much because I like a more definitive story structure, and with the way the industry works that’s hard to come by with Western TV series. Miniseries is where it’s at in that regard, and honestly I’d like to watch more of them. Western live action films are about par in terms of how much I get out of them vs. anime, some are good and some are meh. I also think the Western 3D animation field can produce some good stuff. I like anime more than cartoons*, but I have no desire to watch any Japanese live action stuff.

*An unreflected and unverified claim
Dec 11, 2018 8:55 PM

Aug 2018
It's easy, because they are fanatics. They get obsessed over something and blinded by their waifus they start to throw shit everywhere.

I still can't believe that some get so obsessed in such a short time, I've seen people with less than 100 watched shows cosplaying, sharing anime stuff in social medias and going to some kind of expo. It's really crazy. Also they seem to be the more vocal part of the community.
Dec 11, 2018 8:57 PM

Dec 2008
Because "it's not from japan". What a bunch of bozos.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Dec 11, 2018 9:02 PM

Jun 2014
Used to be an 'anime elitist', but fact is serial western programming is slowly getting better and anime is getting more shit by the season.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Dec 11, 2018 9:04 PM

Mar 2017
They're almost all comedies or at the very least comedic. Their art is vastly inferior and takes no talent to draw.
Dec 11, 2018 9:08 PM

Oct 2014
Question: Are you talking Japanese people? Or are you talking about the western populace? Including non-anime fan westerners, everybody trashes on western media, unless you can cite more than just a few individuals to elaborate on the specifics of a group you're talking about, i'm not sure i can get behind this idea as i've never met an anime fan like that.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Dec 11, 2018 9:09 PM

May 2016
Air-117 said:
They're almost all comedies or at the very least comedic. Their art is vastly inferior and takes no talent to draw.

lel get a load of this guy

Daria > every anime ever made, bar none.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 11, 2018 9:12 PM

Aug 2015
I don't hate western media but it does give a lot to hate. The weekly crimes shows (NCIS, CSI, Law and Order, Bones, Hawaii Five-O, etc) get very boring very fast. Once you've seen a few episodes of one you know how all of them play out. The western cartoons these days are mostly aimed at young kids or they are a Seth Macfarlane show and that's just not everyone's cup of tea. Then the movies we make aren't bad but the constant reboot thing needs to stop.

I will say the one thing we can do great is Science fiction and fantasy because that hasn't gotten boring and repetitive yet. I think the greatest downfall of our media is that once its good it has to be on the air forever with no signs of every stopping. I think when you break into the double digits of seasons with a particular format it just becomes stale
Dec 11, 2018 9:14 PM

Aug 2013
Because they probably dont consume much western media to begin with. It's easier to generalise stuff you dont know about.
Dec 11, 2018 9:14 PM
May 2016
because they tend to think japan is superior, and like to spread that idea
Dec 11, 2018 9:17 PM

Dec 2017
because they just think that anime is a cartoon for a child... So, they'll think "is it normal for a dude to watch CARTOONS all the time?"
Dec 12, 2018 12:13 AM

Oct 2017
I don't my favorite book/film will always be the Lord of the Rings there isn't an anime or manga that will ever top it (or anything else). Tons of great Western films, shows, cartoons and books would be in my top 10 or 20 favorite fictional works. Honestly if I did try listing that I think there might be only a handful of anime in there mostly dominated by Western works.

However I have been a bit more burnt out with Western media main reason I have gotten more into anime/manga so your not going to get the best opinion on where Western media is right now. I am pretty jaded there.

Plus I wouldn't say anime/manga fans having a superiority complex towards Western animation or entertainment media in general is something unique to this community. Its the same mentality of those who mock anime and feel superior because they don't watch it. Everyone wants to validate their choices and improve their sense of self worth by feeling superior.
BilboBaggins365Dec 12, 2018 12:17 AM
Dec 12, 2018 12:26 AM

Jan 2017
because they have only seen garbage in western media while ignoring gems
Dec 12, 2018 12:59 AM

Apr 2012
Maybe their exposure to Western media is actually almost entirely American? American television which is actually worth watching is vanishingly rare. Probably comes of being the world's hegemonic power.
Dec 12, 2018 1:05 AM

Nov 2016
Cause they're ignorant as fuck, but you will also find many western media fans with the same attitude towards anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 12, 2018 1:16 AM

Aug 2018
A lot of people seem to be all about about picking a side, and the belief that you can only be on one side and one side only.

This effect is usually called tribalism, where a certain group (a nation, culture or even ones based on hobbies) will form a community.

Now, there is nothing wrong with identifying in a group, but what IS wrong is how the group will act towards anyone with opposite features to the ones in said group, sometimes attacking them for being even slightly different.

You can also see the exact same thing outside of the anime community, where people just say how bad anime is. (Even tho it's really more of a meme now)

I could ramble on and on about how we should act better as a community, but the issue is too small to be relevant. The real solution here is to not give these people the attention they want and need to be impacting.

(also I'm not talking aobut mainstream news shows/gossip/late night shows with jimmy oliver and john kimmel. these are just bad and I void them like the pleague)
yotiDec 12, 2018 3:34 PM
Dec 12, 2018 1:22 AM

Jul 2015
is all romcom w/ laugh track or reality tv
western tv entertenment nop nop nop

last of western cartoon am view & rate high is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457024/
last west tv show am view is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0835010/ bu even dis am nop view in 2 years.

Dec 12, 2018 1:36 AM

Jan 2013
I don't really remember seeing anime fans trashing on westen media, it doesn't seem like a common problem imo.
Dec 12, 2018 2:02 AM

Oct 2013
It's mostly because many western fans, particularly younger ones or newer fans, have a tendency to be quite ignorant and misinformed at times, as most anime fans probably had some sort of 'i only prefer japanese animation, western animation sucks' phase due to literally just not knowing much about the culture outside of their favorite anime.
Dec 12, 2018 2:39 AM
Mar 2018
I don't know honestly. It's always bothered me a bit. Avatar the last airbender is what got me into anime and I still think it's a masterpiece. Game of thrones and breaking bad are two of the best tv shows I've ever seen as well, just because I like anime doesn't mean i can't like those. I think what's cool about anime though is that there is just so much good anime. You can really get lost in it and stop associating with western media and be beyond entertained.
Dec 12, 2018 7:40 AM

Nov 2018
Not sure where you look at but I haven't seen this. Same thing can be said for western media fans (? if that's even a thing) on anime. Who gives a fuck
Dec 12, 2018 7:44 AM

Feb 2015
For me, because once I got into anime, my interest in western media completely collapsed.
Dec 12, 2018 7:48 AM
Aug 2018
Well the reason why I don't like western media anymore is because there is always nothing to watch, they never explore other genres or concepts, most garbage on tv is reality shows and uninspired movies, cartoons are completely dumb down to pander to little kids, I can keep going but It would take a lot more to be said. Every medium always has garbage anime included but anime always have original concepts and always explores different genres, western tv never does that.
Dec 12, 2018 8:04 AM

Dec 2017
Western media is total trash compared to anime. Nothing else to say
Dec 12, 2018 8:08 AM

Feb 2018
Maybe, because they turned to anime, after being disappointed by western entertainment.
Dec 12, 2018 8:28 AM

Jan 2010
Probably ignorant. I don't know, anime fandom isn't the only one with this. I've seen people that watch Chinese and Korean media quit western media. Hell, I've seen former J-pop fans that become K-pop fans ended up bashing J-pop and J-media and don't ask me why they do that, that make me scratch my head. I've even seen people that drop anime when they become K-pop and K-drama fans.

DepravedMagi said:
They don’t like it when people generalize anime, so why do they generalize western media?

You mean in the same manner where people attack Hollywood for remaking Asian films. But when Japan, South Korea, and China started to remake Hollywood films a few years later (and they're still continuing to remake Hollywood stuff to this day), these same critics that complain about Hollywood remaking Asian films never do the same thing when East Asia does it. Is it hypocrisy? It's possible. When I confront some remake haters about these Asian remake of Hollywood films (and TV shows), they don't want to talk about it as in they shut down the conversation or sometime show off their hypocrisy by saying the remake will be superior over the Hollywood original.
Dec 12, 2018 8:31 AM

Feb 2014
Surprised that most people here thing it's because of a bias and lot for legitimate reasons, in my case:

American TV animation are either "LoL, so random XD" children cartoons or "adult" cartoons that use ugly artstyle/animation to try very hard to prove they're not cartoons.

As for TV series: Some time ago i saw some videos of doctors reacting to first episodes of medicine TV shows. In the vast majority of them they would showhorn sex or a sex scene somewhere.
Even in "westernized" anime like Psycho-Pass you only had two implied sex scenes, on the first and the last episodes respectively.

Not to mention that i can't (And shouldn't) stand social justice in my media.

This and the fact that a lot of anime stuff i like you have never been made in America.
Dec 12, 2018 8:33 AM

Dec 2010
I still love western media of all sorts love Marvel movies,Disney movies and much more and I like books more than anime.
Dec 12, 2018 8:34 AM

May 2016
thewiru said:
Surprised that most people here thing it's because of a bias and lot for legitimate reasons, in my case:

American TV animation are either "LoL, so random XD" children cartoons or "adult" cartoons that use ugly artstyle/animation to try very hard to prove they're not cartoons.

As for TV series: Some time ago i saw some videos of doctors reacting to first episodes of medicine TV shows. In the vast majority of them they would showhorn sex or a sex scene somewhere.
Even in "westernized" anime like Psycho-Pass you only had two implied sex scenes, on the first and the last episodes respectively.

Not to mention that i can't (And shouldn't) stand social justice in my media.

This and the fact that a lot of anime stuff i like you have never been made in America.

Daria, South Park, and The Haunting of Hill House > every anime ever made.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 12, 2018 8:46 AM

Jan 2012
You're generalizing. I am pretty sure a lot of anime lovers don't even bother to spend time on forums. So if you think about numbers, it's just a small amount who loves to talk nonsense.

Dec 12, 2018 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
Not that I condone it but it's just probably because western media is so different.
Dec 12, 2018 8:56 AM

Apr 2016
I feel like it's the opposite considering there are these zangers term like weeaboos that only targets japanese media consumers and paint them extremely negatively. I don't see vice versa, or at least i'm not aware of anyway
Dec 12, 2018 8:58 AM

Nov 2018
I wonder where the idea of anime fans hating western media comes from. I'm very sure that can't be, at least from where I am. Western i.e. U.S. movies are everywhere in the world and I've never seen one anime fans irl hating them.

That's new.
Dec 12, 2018 8:59 AM

Feb 2015
Because they want to feel unique and special... They're just wusses
Dec 12, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2010
cus they are kids? the west is better in almost every way than the east, media included

there's just not enough western media for me to consume, else i'd probably not bother with anime as much
lots of music -
Dec 12, 2018 9:00 AM

Apr 2018
Western animation is fine, just get that CalArts bullshit out of my sight
Dec 12, 2018 9:04 AM

May 2013
It's just a classic case of pot calling the kettle black.

Deep down there's a base human desire to feel good about oneself and their own tastes.

I can bet there are equal numbers (if not more) of people who trash anime for the very same reasons.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Dec 12, 2018 10:07 AM

Mar 2018
Probably just fell in love with anime and forgot all about western media so they just shit on it without ever looking into it, I love both but western live action tv series and movies are on a higher level than anime imo which isnt surprising considering how much bigger everything is
poop
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
8 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

148 by Ten »»
10 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.