Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Dec 10, 2018 2:46 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 367
Simply put, give titles that you feel treated you like a baboon, and I don't mean the Lion King one, who is actually smart. The actual filthy animal! And give the reasons why you think those anime belittle your intelligence!

 
#2
Dec 10, 2018 2:50 PM
Slumber

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1588
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.
Modified by Lunilah, Dec 10, 2018 2:57 PM



Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.
 
#3
Dec 10, 2018 2:52 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1333
I haven't had one anime that insulted me or treated me like a baboon. I wish it did. Can anime even talk back at you if you throw a tub of water at it? or shout "iyah! senpaii dame~~"

I would like more interaction out of it. /s


If you are talking about a waste of time when it comes to unfolding of plot and the drama, just take any battle shounen OR my personal favourite : Big Order. One of the best story telling experiences in my opinion. The manga is even better.
'The version of me that lives within you must be amazing. She can understand everything, even if you don't explain it to her'
 
#4
Dec 10, 2018 3:02 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 367
Lunilah said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.

Yeah, or like in Kaiji. I find that level of spoonfeeding kinda comical, but oh well. Sad part was, that HxH wasn't like that, up until the Chimera Ant Arc.
 
#5
Dec 10, 2018 3:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 544
Fairy Tail, Natsu punching space time and magic with his nakama punch is my favorite.
 
#6
Dec 10, 2018 3:09 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 853
Every shounen anime when they stop the fight to explain how their powers work.


"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

 
#7
Dec 10, 2018 3:11 PM
Slumber

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1588
RetroBite said:
Lunilah said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.

Yeah, or like in Kaiji. I find that level of spoonfeeding kinda comical, but oh well. Sad part was, that HxH wasn't like that, up until the Chimera Ant Arc.
Yeah, i would have rated it much higher without that arc. It had such an impact on my scoring because it was a 3rd of the anime, the longest arc of the series so far. It's not a terrible anime, but it has glaring issues.



Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.
 
#8
Dec 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1049
@RetroBite @Lunilah I kinda liked the super obvious narration. To me it felt like somebody was reading me a book. I thought it was a unique touch to the show, and that it put emphasis on certain scenes.

To answer the original question though, I felt like Gargantia and Samurai Flamenco totally thought that I was retarded
 
#9
Dec 10, 2018 3:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 288
Heavy Object had an MC obviously intended as an audience surrogate that was so amazingly pathetic, I was both offended and disgusted by the idea that anybody was intended to identify with him.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:13 PM
Slumber

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1588
N30-R3TR0 said:
@RetroBite @Lunilah I kinda liked the super obvious narration. To me it felt like somebody was reading me a book. I thought it was a unique touch to the show, and that it put emphasis on certain scenes.

To answer the original question though, I felt like Gargantia and Samurai Flamenco totally thought that I was retarded
Someone made a point like that in another one of these threads, how some things from manga really doesn't translate to an anime adaptation, specifically authors notes and thinly stretched dialogue.



Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1194
fuck, i usually forget negative things. OP hit right in the heart, i definitely had those feelings before lol.

(maybe i'll think of something and post something later :v)
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1781
Monogatari and Jojo, especially their fandoms
Life has meaning.
Until real evidence comes out against him, I Stand with Vic.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:25 PM
Slumber

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1588
HeroicIdealism said:
Monogatari and Jojo, especially their fandoms
Haven't seen the Gatari franchise yet, but for Jojos, that's kinda the point. As i stated with my HxH 2011 post, they did it in an unironic Jojos style. Jojos doesn't get extra points for being an ironic parody of itself, but it excuses the insult in my opinion.



Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2211
Any anime with battle scenes in which the characters are explaining what their skills do. Unless there are some hidden effects, everything an ability does can be clearly seen and understood so it's really annoying when character says what just happened / is about to happen / is happening, like I don't own a pair of working eyes and a functioning brain.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Current thought: How many people will spark H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:30 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 1781
Lunilah said:
HeroicIdealism said:
Monogatari and Jojo, especially their fandoms
Haven't seen the Gatari franchise yet, but for Jojos, that's kinda the point. As i stated with my HxH 2011 post, they did it in an unironic Jojos style. Jojos doesn't get extra points for being an ironic parody of itself, but it excuses the insult in my opinion.


I agree that that is the point, and it's why I don't like it.
Life has meaning.
Until real evidence comes out against him, I Stand with Vic.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 101
Kill la kill, I like the anime but...

Spoilers ahead

>Ryuko cuts hers "clothes" and use it to cover Sanageyma eyes.

>Sanageyma keep talking that he can't see shit with it in his eyes.

>Seketsu explain the plane to no one just because.

Some times a little explanation is needed, other times the explanation can be silly fun but there are so many of these shit moment's in the first 12 eps ...
Modified by Bob-o-Dominador, Dec 10, 2018 3:44 PM
Hail Nico, the Namber Wan Idoru.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 1049
Lunilah said:
N30-R3TR0 said:
@RetroBite @Lunilah I kinda liked the super obvious narration. To me it felt like somebody was reading me a book. I thought it was a unique touch to the show, and that it put emphasis on certain scenes.

To answer the original question though, I felt like Gargantia and Samurai Flamenco totally thought that I was retarded
Someone made a point like that in another one of these threads, how some things from manga really doesn't translate to an anime adaptation, specifically authors notes and thinly stretched dialogue.

That is true. I still liked the narration in HxH regardless. 8/10 from me. Thought of another anime: Elfin Lied. Like you expect me to believe that people would be so dumb to take retarded naked woman with horns to their house and not call the cops? bruv c'mon
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9977
The bird metaphors in the early episodes of Darling in the FranXX were a quite direct offense.

Actually stretch that to every visual metaphor in the series.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:42 PM
Slumber

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1588
N30-R3TR0 said:
Lunilah said:
Someone made a point like that in another one of these threads, how some things from manga really doesn't translate to an anime adaptation, specifically authors notes and thinly stretched dialogue.

That is true. I still liked the narration in HxH regardless. 8/10 from me. Thought of another anime: Elfin Lied. Like you expect me to believe that people would be so dumb to take retarded naked woman with horns to their house and not call the cops? bruv c'mon
Don't even get me started on premises, A Certain Scientific Railgun is expecting me to believe elementary students can be interns on police authority out in the world, and in middle school have full authority yourself as a public servant for peace and order.



Life happens wherever you are,
whether you make it or not.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 590
Jojo is dumb enough to insult humanity
I want a cool signature but Idk how to make them.
Liking traps isn't gay.
 
Dec 10, 2018 3:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 101
jal90 said:
The bird metaphors in the early episodes of Darling in the FranXX were a quite direct offense.

Actually stretch that to every visual metaphor in the series.

Can we take a minute to talk about the fact that they (kids) are called by the names of flowers sexual organs? Was there anything in those robots that wasn't sexual? Or the kiss between their city's? Why those adults have to call every time using some sexual innuendo?

Oh, the bird metaphor reach the last episode too, just in case that you have saved your self from watching it :3
Modified by Bob-o-Dominador, Dec 10, 2018 4:15 PM
Hail Nico, the Namber Wan Idoru.
 
Dec 10, 2018 4:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1379
Can´t tell. How am I supposed to feel insulted because of a content! If the anime does something stupid, then the author is stupid, not me. I just can´t take it that personal.
 
Dec 10, 2018 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 9977
Bob-o-Dominador said:
jal90 said:
The bird metaphors in the early episodes of Darling in the FranXX were a quite direct offense.

Actually stretch that to every visual metaphor in the series.

Can we take a minute to talk about the fact that they (kids) are called by the names of flowers sexual organs? Was there anything in those robots that wasn't sexual? Or the kiss between their city's? Why those adults have to call every time using some sexual innuendo?

Oh, the bird metaphor reach the last episode too, just in case that you have saved your self from watching it :3

Oh, but I did :(

And yep, the metaphor reached the last episode too, but it managed to not be the most infuriating part of that finale so I didn't pay much attention.
 
Dec 10, 2018 4:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 483
SAO when Kirito broke free just like that from never-ending paralysis by Kayaba in game. Come on.
 
Dec 10, 2018 5:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 4557
Goblin Slayer, it tries so hard and yearns to be like Berserk but fails miserably.
 
Dec 10, 2018 5:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 2747
Gamers! is insulting to true gamers. Paints gamers as a bunch of virgin dweebs interested in playing together. WE ARE NORMAL PEOPLE interested in the game WE LIKE AND WANT, NOT playing together some random game.

I gave that shit a 1/10
 
Dec 10, 2018 5:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1742
"People die if they are killed."

The VN is even worse.
My condolences to KyoAni #PrayForKyoani
 
Dec 10, 2018 5:26 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 490
SAO.
Clearly a 14 year-old wrote this fanfic.
It sits you down to watch multiple 10 minute long (or longer) scenes with characters explaining the most basic plot, explaining the thing that was shown already, or even explaining the most basic things that only a baby wouldn't know.
"If you are low level you can only do simple spells, but if you are high level you can do more complicated spells". Actual quote from Season 3 Episode 7 (maybe I got it wrong).
Modified by TodAboT, Dec 10, 2018 5:32 PM
 
Dec 10, 2018 5:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 1781
Fate/Stay Night UBW. Constantly alternates between light hearted slice of life antics to bullshit Shonen asspulls to "deep" philosophical conversations.

 
Dec 10, 2018 5:36 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 490
MichaelJackson said:
Can´t tell. How am I supposed to feel insulted because of a content! If the anime does something stupid, then the author is stupid, not me. I just can´t take it that personal.

Insult your intelligence, not you.
In other words, "Anime that treat you like an idiot".
 
Dec 10, 2018 6:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 1379
TodAboT said:
MichaelJackson said:
Can´t tell. How am I supposed to feel insulted because of a content! If the anime does something stupid, then the author is stupid, not me. I just can´t take it that personal.

Insult your intelligence, not you.
In other words, "Anime that treat you like an idiot".


................. potatoes, potatos
 
Dec 10, 2018 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 980
bunny girl senpai is definitely one of the more insulting shows i've watched. i can understand that it's trying to say that high school is difficult, and that you only need to be yourself, i don't need it shoved down my throat every few minutes, i figured it out myself already... it's way too blatant with what it's attempting to convey
 
Dec 10, 2018 7:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 3664
-3D Kanojo: Real Girl was the worst romcom anime that i've ever seen in my life. The characters are terrible and the animation made things even worse. The level of cringiness is over the place. What's the worst of it? It will have a second season in 2019 LMAO. An anti-otaku show.

-Gamers! is similar to 3D Kanojo but here is just an anti-gamer show. Also the animation is better but is still shit in everything else.

-Darling in the FranXX. Those random metaphors are too pretentious.

-Fairy Tail. The whole show insults my intelligence.


Life has no meaning.
 
Dec 11, 2018 1:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1515
anime that tries to be smart, but is dumb instead.

Stuff like Death Note, Classroom of the Elite, etc.

monologues are the worst.
 
Dec 11, 2018 1:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1820
bnha and fate stay night all 3 routes are so garbage that i feel insulted these were even animated
 
Dec 11, 2018 1:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 565
Idk about this.I'm so dumb that no anime can insult my inteliligence
 
Dec 11, 2018 3:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 775
I don't know exactly why but in many shows, they have the need to explain everything. When a character doesn't show his true intention after a misunderstood, someones says in hid mind "You did it because....,don't you?". Or they explain a power, an ability, a strategy, a purpose in the middle of fight... I get it! Don't always hold my hand!

Now, I'm gonna repeat myself but I still believe Gurren Lagann insulted me the most.

Like many battle shonens, It uses the "Never give up!" or "Believe in yourself!" message. Indeed, It's well intentioned, but the problem I have with it is the protagonists are kinda blessed by some divinity of luck. Chosen ones, legacies, power of friendship,...where is the point of hard-working if they have some ressources they make them already special? In TTGL, It goes further. The all universe is run by the Rule of Cool. Anyone making an awesome, cool or "badass" (god I hate that word) move will be rewarded by godlike powers. And the first antagonists, Beastmen, don't have this ability. That means they're screwed since the beginning.

The chauvinist aspect is horrible too. Humans are the coolest. We deserve to lead all the Creation. We're definition of good but if anyone who stand in our way, they deserve to burn in hell forever,...
And with a "prophet" like this jerkass of Kamina, It gives the message a such obnoxious taste.

And finally, the message is too extrem for his good. I get it, going foward is better than standing in the same situation (sometimes), but here, anyone who doesn't follow this idea is viewed as a coward and an ennemy. Not only Beastmen, Genome or Anti-Spiral, but especially Rossiu. It's the only character to have some common sense, and who can bring real depth in the show. But instead, everytime he opens his mouth, someone throws something in his face. Plus, he mades tough choices for the good of his people like arresting Simon to calm down the population of finding a way to flee against such a powerfull opponent who is the Anti-Spiral, and sometimes, we need to back up to move foward more efficiently. But how the anime showed him in the end? It shows him he was wrong! It shows him like a badguy who wants to take control! It shows him he was so wrong the only redemption for him is to commit suicide. But no! It was denied too because he was such a pathetic loser! That means if we don't follow the "god of manliness", you deserve to live in shame and been bullied for the rest of your miserable live!

I remembered saying in my head "F*ck you, Gurren Lagann! A big, large, hard f*ck you!"
 
Dec 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2484
All those anime which has NTR or fucking beta male or violent trashundre.
 
Dec 11, 2018 6:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2733
From recent ones I watched:
Sakasama no Patema


Island


Shichisei no Subaru - I dropped it after the first episode. Getting a scholarship to study abroad and some more benefits as a reward for doing well in a video game is fantasizing a bit too much for me.
 
Dec 11, 2018 6:48 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 144
jarring said:
anime that tries to be smart, but is dumb instead.

Stuff like Death Note, Classroom of the Elite, etc.

monologues are the worst.

Seriously, DN is dumb for you?
whats a smart show then?
Modified by 25NOVember, Dec 11, 2018 6:52 AM
 
Dec 11, 2018 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2150
HungryForQuality said:
Fate/Stay Night UBW. Constantly alternates between light hearted slice of life antics to bullshit Shonen asspulls to "deep" philosophical conversations.

Just because you're correct doesn't mean that you're right.

My nomination goes to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. It's an excellent, moody, dark film with an intriguing storyline and realistic characters in a setting that yearns for more exploration in anime...but goddammit, they really bang that Red Riding Hood drum until your ears bleed. I GET IT. FUSE IS THE BIG BAD WOLF AND KEI IS LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD JESUS CHRIST I'M NOT FUCKING FIVE.

25NOVember said:
jarring said:
anime that tries to be smart, but is dumb instead.

Stuff like Death Note, Classroom of the Elite, etc.

monologues are the worst.

Seriously DN is dumb for you?
whats a smary show then?

Death Note is a smart show that needed to be overexplained because its core audience (teenagers) are dumb.

This glorious signature made by @Mayumi leads to my
superior reviews! Most Recent: Mirai of the Future!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Isekai peaked in the 90s. The genre has sucked ever since.
There is nothing wrong with liking shounen action anime.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There is always top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GIG."
 
Dec 11, 2018 6:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 144
Zelkiiro said:
HungryForQuality said:
Fate/Stay Night UBW. Constantly alternates between light hearted slice of life antics to bullshit Shonen asspulls to "deep" philosophical conversations.

Just because you're correct doesn't mean that you're right.

My nomination goes to Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. It's an excellent, moody, dark film with an intriguing storyline and realistic characters in a setting that yearns for more exploration in anime...but goddammit, they really bang that Red Riding Hood drum until your ears bleed. I GET IT. FUSE IS THE BIG BAD WOLF AND KEI IS LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD JESUS CHRIST I'M NOT FUCKING FIVE.

25NOVember said:

Seriously DN is dumb for you?
whats a smary show then?

Death Note is a smart show that needed to be overexplained because its core audience (teenagers) are dumb.

Now thats the correct way of putting it.
Maybe for jarring it was dumb. He or she must have a iq of 200+.
 
Dec 11, 2018 7:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 4482
It's pretty damn rare, even among my most hated. Phantasy Star 2's borderline condescending moralizing, explaining, and whatnot in its early half was one such example. Princess Principal is another (enough with the whole "sipes are liars; did ya know that" "you're lying, aren't you" times infinity nonsense). FranXX's treatment of its characters, especially Zero Two, was pretty offensive, with how they go out of their way to just alter her personality on a whim, with no real natural transitions in her character. Smartphone...its mere existence is insulting on an artistic level. Hand Shakers is the epitome of both giving a fuck and failing, and not giving a fuck, to the point of constantly retconning its concept...and that's not even the most intellectually insulting thing it does.
"Anti-elitists" are the true elitists of this community. They're the kind of people that remind me that the elitist stereotype they perpetuate basically doesn't exist, and those who use it to scapegoat embody practically every trait they put into the stereotype, as they sit in their ivory tower looking down at and attacking people they disagree with because they're being negative on a show they like, and their favorites list is comprised of at least one non-mainstream classic, all the while cowering at the idea of those people giving them a taste of their own medicine. Also, objectivity in art is relative, therefore arguable, not nonexistent.
 
Dec 11, 2018 8:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3676
SAO
Fairy Tail
Tokyo Ghoul
Goblin Slayer
Eromanga Sensei

Also LMAO @ anyone who thinks Hunter x Hunter is stupid because of a stylistic choice.
Modified by AshitaNoJonas, Dec 11, 2018 8:39 AM
 
Dec 11, 2018 8:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1294
We are so smart look at us: the thread..........
 
Dec 11, 2018 11:28 AM
Grim Anime Fan

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2177
Lunilah said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) was merciless in over explaining everything from obvious intentions to strengths and weaknesses in an unironic jojos style, to filling episodes up with unnecessary dialogue about literally anything to meet the episode run time.


I liked it. Gave more powerful and epic feeling.



Aside that.. thread answer in general is "no". I don't have such ego to consider having some sort of intelligence "level" that is possible to offend from. (let alone from fiction). That just sounds dumb.
 
Dec 11, 2018 11:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7659
I don't blame the anime, it just is what it is, I blame the people who made it.
"Should I be concerned over the obvious delight our daughter takes in the ultra-violence?"
"It's genetic"
-Red Arrow to Cheshire (Young Justice)
 
Dec 11, 2018 12:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5978
TBH if I had to feel "insulted" every times something is "overly explained" I would spend many of my days feeling insulted.

My point here is, that story/anime/manga/novel/whatever was not designed specially for YOU but for EVERYONE. Just because you don't need that level of explanation doesn't mean no one else needs it.

They're not "insulting your intelligence" just by explaining things too much. Yes it can feel overly slow when it happens, but that doesn't mean it's "insulting" >-<.
 
Dec 11, 2018 12:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 8737
Zefyris said:
TBH if I had to feel "insulted" every times something is "overly explained" I would spend many of my days feeling insulted.

Indeed. Makes one wonder how these people survived school.

I find anime where authors throw around bogus science like in Geneshaft to be a lot more insulting.
 
Dec 11, 2018 12:44 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 367
flannan said:
Zefyris said:
TBH if I had to feel "insulted" every times something is "overly explained" I would spend many of my days feeling insulted.

Indeed. Makes one wonder how these people survived school.

I find anime where authors throw around bogus science like in Geneshaft to be a lot more insulting.


Personally I don't mind explanations cause they are needed. But maybe people mean this ^ here?
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »