Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2018 8:00 PM

Oct 2015
The animation in the fight between Monkey D and Katakuri is so awesome right now. Zeus is really having none of it from Nami this time, but that Big mom shock was very cool. Brook is my man for asking a peek.

They say Toei sucks and makes bad one piece episodes, What is this people?
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 12, 2018 4:46 AM

May 2014
He actually said it, hahahah. I am amazed. I would never imagine he would say it (though it was only to let her guard down) to a fat lady. LOL! But I am glad he said it. You can't let a lady pass without asking permission to see her panties. xD

Big Mom looks actually nice with her hair wet and all down. She looks different that way, maybe not that scary. Anyways, Jimbei put up a good fight against her. No wonder he is called the emperor of the sea.

Didn't see any trace of Sanji/Pudding. Amazed because I think we have seen Pudding faint in every previous ep. for a period of time now.

Dec 12, 2018 4:48 AM

May 2014
lihle808 said:
The animation in the fight between Monkey D and Katakuri is so awesome right now. Zeus is really having none of it from Nami this time, but that Big mom shock was very cool. Brook is my man for asking a peek.

Actually they are not the best. They have their times just like pierrot, but they are no way near Mappa and White Fox. ^^
Jan 9, 2019 3:06 AM

Apr 2013
Damn, Big Mom is so weak. I can't believe Nami and Brook managed to stop her. Imagine one of the other yonko being in her place, no way the strawhats would be able to repel their attacks.

lihle808 said:

Come on, you watched stuff from Kyoto Animation as well like Amaburi. Can you really not see the huge difference in animation quality?
Feb 4, 2019 8:23 AM
Jun 2015
Yes! They managed to get Big Mom off the ship. Seems like the Strawhat Crew can hold their own against Big Mom albeit barely.
Mar 31, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Lmao Brook getting electrocuted instead of Nami, I was genuinely confused as to why we would see Nami's bones like that lol.
And dont think I didn't see the improved animation at the end there with Luffy and Katakuri, despite it only being 2 minutes.
May 31, 2019 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
Lul great episode, Big Mom has been so insufferable, it's good to see her finally getting what she deserves. Hope it's a big blow!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 19, 2020 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
Brook. The skeleton who is renowned far wide to have slept with an emperor and asking to see her pantsu the next day. I should reevaluate my opinion regarding Brook.

I liked the teamwork the Strawhats have shown in this episode in dealing with a far superior enemy. Jinbei showing his prowess as a former warlord of the sea, alongside Nami's thunder skills and Brook's swiftness, was a treat to watch.

Luffy man, his endurance is the only thing that is keeping him in this manslaughter of a fight.
Aug 11, 2020 4:15 AM

Jun 2016
The fight with Katakuri this time made me realize that I was only thinking about observational haki’s necessary composure in regards to cracking Katakuri, I have never thought about it in regards to Luffy. We have an emotional main character who often fights at his best when he is devastated and furious. If Luffy were to better master his observational haki that could actually be some serious character growth. He’d be controlling his emotions more than he ever has. Just imagining Luffy going from irate to zen within a breath before doing some crazy future reading prediction is already making me foam at the mouth.

That said, we are back at the ground of Luffy being unable to win his fight until, presumably, the end of the arc so we're going to make him fight in little, mostly redundant, bursts until we can time his victory for the climax. I particularly remember this being a bit of an issue in Water 7 with Lucci and Thriller Bark with Moria. It's one way to get around the ‘get Luffy stuck somewhere and out of commission and only free him at the end’ formula but dang does it come off as far more irritating to watch. Perhaps there was a time I preferred this format because it felt less contrived but in practice I have come around no longer feel that way. There are very promising aspects to this battle but seeing ‘you can't win’, ‘yes I can’, Luffy gets beat trying to learn how to win, cut to other people isn't exactly thrilling storytelling. I do acknowledge that I think the manga is typically not as bad because they show it in far shorter bursts so this is likely an anime only complaint.

The Big Mom versus the Sunny crew sequence was far more engaging. Everyone gave their all and it was another highlight for Jimbei. The man has proven himself as an amazing stand in captain time and time again. I may be forgetting but it started with what I think is the first time he has used armament haki to block Big Mom’s attack. Following that, we saw exactly why a fishman is such a strong crewmate, our man lives in the water. That's his natural habitat so knocking him in there is only making him stronger, he can watch out for all of his devil fruit crew members better than anyone else; although contending with Sanji, and we saw why he is a deadly weapon against devil fruit users while on the sea. My man splashed water all over Big Mom which should have weakened her unless it is candy water, but regardless if not, it still emulates how that would work in a real situation. Our man can splash water all over their enemy, weaken them, and then gang up on them. Like, he punched an emperor off of the Sunny! Bro!!! Anything the characters do to defend against an emperor is inherently super cool, the guard point, cutting Zeus in half, whatever it may be. But that was the coolest.

Now to speak on the smaller aspects. Brook’s ‘panties’ line was pretty funny, I really like how Jimbei was speechless to contrast the shocked screaming from everyone else. And speaking about a shock, the Zeus joke was so multi-layered I was thoroughly impressed. I had assumed that Zeus coming back into the picture would actually serve as an advantage for the Straw Hats because Nami could manipulate him again. The manipulation began and I thought it was an inevitable aspect of the scene, but that was subverted and Zeus played me like a fiddle as if he was screaming at me personally ‘do you think I'm that dumb?!’ This was enough to be a great joke, but to then have Brook shocked in the place of Nami while I was already distracted by the subversion, making the obvious disguised as a joke within a joke in quick succession, I was played twice, props for that Oda. I am also fond of Mom’s transformation because sometimes transformations can feel like they were shoehorned in to make the final boss feel scarier, but in this case the way her transformation worked was largely due to a different use of her three Homies. By using elements that have always been there in a way that feels organic, the transformation feels a lot less cheap for me personally.
Aug 14, 2021 9:17 PM

Sep 2015
Unstoppable Mochi blade bullets is one of the coolest move set from Katakuri, I didn't expect Jimbei being able to kick Big Mom out of the ship nor possess that much power and strength. Who knew Brook usual dialogue about panties could come in handy to aggravate Big Mom to lure her in so he could focus on Zeus! As expected from Brooks performance lately.

But the animations were stunning this epiosde !
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 25, 2021 4:17 AM

Jun 2019
At this point, I'm more interested in seeing Straw Hats take on Big Mom than Luffy's fight.
Dec 28, 2021 10:23 AM

May 2016
It was amazing to see them put up such a good fight that they've managed to get Big Mom off the Sunny and proceed get some really good attacks in the process!

Luffy's getting closer than ever to perfecting his Observation Haki against Katakuri.

Jun 5, 2022 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
great episode once again Jimbei shows how awesome he is and brook was cool too when he cut Zeus I'm really excited to see if luffy will be able to use observation haki like katakuri and how much stronger he will become in his fight with katakuri
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:19 AM
Aug 28, 2023 5:32 AM
Jun 2020
this episode is racist as hell. wtf brook.
Sep 25, 2023 9:54 PM

Oct 2019
I hope Zeus stays with Nami now, if he doesn't, it'll be a big setback to make Nami stronger.
Dec 18, 2023 3:49 AM
Oct 2023
it was pretty good but im out here binging so i dont remeber all of it, but its been pretty good so far.
Mar 7, 7:54 AM
Oct 2019
Let's go Jinbe!!
Send that big ass out of our Thousand Sunny.

Nahh Brook asking to see Big Mom Pantsu is Wild Wild LMAO

In this episode we saw Luffy got punch by Katakuri again lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 399 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faded_Star - Feb 14, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 398 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HydraA - Apr 26, 2009

95 by gannoncannon55 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.